Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1429 Old 09-16-2005, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by collomd View Post

I may be answering my own question, but was looking into the Composer User Guide, and it looks like you can setup a serial driver using the Composer. So it looks like we can enter the serial codes for the CAV into the Composer to control the unit, can someone confirm?

Also, if I'm using the Sony 777 and the CAV, it looks like the HTC only has one serial out, correct? So that I would need to get the IR/SERIAL expander box....
are these available yet?

dc

Yes, you can enter the serial codes to control a unit via RS-232 using Composer.

Yes, the HTC only has one serial port. You need the expander box, which isn't available yet (currently stated as 10/31/05).

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1429 Old 09-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone have any good, detailed pics of the wireless mini touchscreen from different angles including the back? I will be looking to have a table mount made from wood and stained to match the rosewood/cherry in my media room.
post #543 of 1429 Old 09-17-2005, 06:56 AM

Hey guys,

Here's the scope of 2way serial

We currently support the following

Sony 777
Fuji 50"
Denon 3800 series
Apex destiny
Elk and Elk gold
Admenco Vista
First Alert
GE Advent
Ge Concord
Know Video Switches 8x8

We also have Integra and Full Denon one serial support in the software

on the next release we will most likely have the following - coming Oct 31

new 2-way

Extron
Autopatch
Know
Keydigital
HAI
DSC
GE NetworX
More A/V Receivers

Possible Lutron/Litetouch and Vantage - If not by Oct then Dec release.

We are also working on a two way serial wizard that will let you create two way drivers today you can create one way drivers alread
post #544 of 1429 Old 09-17-2005, 07:00 AM

Hi,

Two things come to mind.

1) Double check the bindings keep in mind this is basically you telling the software how the devices are wired.
2) Check the gain on the front panel of the amp/switch
3) check the touch screen to make sure they are connected to the proper room
4) LAst and I'm sure you've got this right tone out the speakers

If this doesn't work let's get you on the phone with tech support.

Jim
post #545 of 1429 Old 09-17-2005, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post

Hey Jim, when will support be added for a lossless format??? This should be a fairly simple software update...right?

I would like to rip all my media in apple lossless to an external HD so I can only rip once and control the media from the MC or PC.

Hey,

We are looking at options for Apple format.

The main issue is sync streaming and wi-fi streaming

Once we enable lossless we have to ensure the streaming still works as designed.

We will keep you updated.

Jim
post #546 of 1429 Old 09-17-2005, 08:04 AM

Jim,

About how fast should files be able to move from an attached USB 2.0 harddrive to the internal Media Controller harddrive? It's pretty slow, about 9Mb/minute, which ironically is about the same speed at which files move from my laptop to the MC over a 10/100Mb network. I'm looking at 23+ GB of MP3 files and it's taking forever....

Thx
Tom
post #547 of 1429 Old 09-18-2005, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshepherd View Post

Jim,

About how fast should files be able to move from an attached USB 2.0 harddrive to the internal Media Controller harddrive? It's pretty slow, about 9Mb/minute, which ironically is about the same speed at which files move from my laptop to the MC over a 10/100Mb network. I'm looking at 23+ GB of MP3 files and it's taking forever....

Thx
Tom

Tom,

I believe your experience with low transfer speeds via USB on the Media Controller is due to the USB 1.1 connection. They are not currently supporting 2.0 on either of the controllers.

Jeremy
Life:Automated Inc.
post #548 of 1429 Old 09-18-2005, 07:43 PM

Why did Control4 pick the Fujitsu 50" for code development ahead of other TV's? Would there be a reason that the Pany 8UK would have limitations in the Control4 system architecture?

I don't want to end up with a TV that presents special problems for the future integration of a Control4 system...
post #549 of 1429 Old 09-18-2005, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshepherd View Post

Jim,

Thx
Tom

Hey Tom,

Our USB is not 2.0 right now, but should be in the future.

So it's slow. I have 100 gb and understand the pain.

I'll keep you posted on changes

Jim
post #550 of 1429 Old 09-18-2005, 09:30 PM

Ok Query,

i've been in the business for over 15 years and have never heard of a Pany 8UK?!?!?

Do you have a web link?

The Fuji is largerly used by CEDIA dealers and was what we bought so we created a two way driver for it.

You can create one way serial today in software as well as create your own IR drivers.

Please send me a link

Jim
post #551 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

pany AKA panasonic...

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #552 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 04:49 AM

Jeremy / Jim, thanks for the tip on the USB. I sort of guessed that but it's good to know for sure. In any case, it's mostly a one-time thing and it's in the past now...
post #553 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgist View Post

Ok Query,

i've been in the business for over 15 years and have never heard of a Pany 8UK?!?!?

Do you have a web link?

The Fuji is largerly used by CEDIA dealers and was what we bought so we created a two way driver for it.

You can create one way serial today in software as well as create your own IR drivers.

Please send me a link

Jim

The 8UK is Panasonic's most recent 50 inch commercial display model.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...el=TH-50PHD8UK
post #554 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 06:46 AM

dud,

Pany, I didn't have my decorder ring.

We are in talks with Panosonic currently and plan full support soon.

Thanks
post #555 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 06:51 AM

What is the practical advantage in using a two way driver for a video display, instead of one way? On/off switching status when there is a single on/off button?
post #556 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Jim, lets get some support and drivers built for products that us CI guys (your dealers) actually sell. I don't want to see a driver built for a commercial plasma that only AVS DIY guys buy before drivers for equipment that your dealers actually sell. The Fujitsu is a great start - except its for the 30 series and the 40 series has been shipping since the start of the year and the codes are different. Lets make sure the CI friendly electronics are covered - Integra, Denon, Marantz etc... - before we start playing to the DIY crowd.

Personally I wish you were this involved with your own dealer only forums hosted on your site rather than supporting all the DIY guys setting up their own systems (how do they even get the equipment/software without installation?).

Cheers

Get a good deal on the Algorenet? Don't come crying to me when you need it fixed.
post #557 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

One way serial is akin to IR. The only difference is that rather than an emitter you have a connector that will not come off. IR is technically a serial protocol. IR carried on a cable with a 1/8 mini jack is every bit as reliable as one-way serial.

The programmatic advantages of feedback are for example, 1. continue to send the code until the device tells you it has performed that task . 2. If DVD-A disc is read then change input on pre/pro to 5.1 input and select surround mode X where X = the mode you wish to use with DVD-A. Display volume levels ( here is where you can get really creative and display your pre/pro's volume on the on screen volume display of the display.

Unfortunately, many display manufacturers, like Panasonic, employ a quasi bidirectional protocol. They respond to commands with ACK/NAK commands which only tells you that a valid or invalid command was received. All things being equal you would like bidirectional protocol. It is far easier to send serial strings than to break out the return information for use.

Alan
post #558 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 08:01 AM

Jim, I have to strongly agree with premierht , We need you to be this invovled on the Control4 Dealer forums.

Jeff
Premier Sight and Sound
post #559 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 08:47 AM

I would love to see a serial driver for the Panasonic plasmas, even if it is only one way at first. I tried to add one myself, but was completely lost at trying to figure out Panasonic's serial codes. If anyone is interested in writing one, I am willing to pay for it - within reason!

As far as the C4 guys helping us here, I am fairly sure they do it becaue we are the only end users that they actually hear from. While dealers' customers might tell them a few things that work or don't or things they would like to see, I would venture to guess that 90% of those comments never make it back to C4. On the other hand, we are end users who are actually reporting on the features and functions that work, don't work, and what we would like to see. They may not use any of our suggestions, but at least they are listening to their end user.

Joe
post #560 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Here we go again. No offense joemci, but its the dealer's job to report back to C4. And believe me, we do. We are doing things with their systems that most consumers (AVS DIY guys included) have never imagined possible. We are the ones that made the financial commitment to C4 and have to support our clients installations. It may not be a big deal for a DIY guy not to have some small aspect of their C4 system working right (after all, it wasn't installed or programmed by a certified C4 dealer), but it is when our clients spend $50 or $100k with us and we can't adequately support the installation. Sorry, but unless I missed the memo, C4 chose to go to market through certified CEDIA installing dealers - not the DIY network. Once that changes my business will change with it.

But again, I don't want to start another war in this thread as I really admire you DIY's willingness to experiment with these systems at your cost and time.

Get a good deal on the Algorenet? Don't come crying to me when you need it fixed.
post #561 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by premierht View Post

And believe me, we do. We are doing things with their systems that most consumers (AVS DIY guys included) have never imagined possible.

And this is where your problem is...

If you want a completely robust system that can do anything, put in AMX or Crestron. That's what I do.

You have to understand what C4's capabilities and limitations are and design around that. Otherwise you'll have a lot of problems. If you've been to training you should know that.

All of the DIY'ers here on AVS are working directly with a C4 certified dealer...trust me on that.

Systems can be programmed remotely, and installation can be arranged as well.

This isn't rocket science unless you make it so.

On another note...I personally want 2 way drivers for Pioneer Plasmas.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
post #562 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 09:26 AM

Premier, I'm not sure what your problem is, but most of the time when you post here you come across as "angry condescending man"!

All I said was that I think they participate here because they get valuable end users feedback. Sounds to me like a cheap way to use a focus group, or even additional testers for the system.

As far as feedback from the dealers, I am positive when a client calls and says something is not working and it has to do with a problem with the C4 system that you call them and let them know. What I was talking about was features or additional functionality with the system interface. Things such as where the buttons are, how easy the system is to use, etc. I would think that these are things that most likely don't make it from the customer to the dealer, and if the dealer hears them, they are probably not on the top of his mind to let the people at C4 know about when he calls looking to get something fixed.

As an aside, remembering back to our old conversation about Best Buy, just last week I referred a client of mine to the local installer I recommend and he spec'd out a nice system with two Fujitsu plasmas and whole house music using C4. My client e-mailed me the proposal and it looked perfectly fine based on the house and what he had mentioned he was looking to do. He then called and was a little worried about price and what the system would do and wouldn't do because he couldn't see it. He actually said "maybe I'll just go to Best Buy and buy the equipment and have them install it." I had to laugh because we had just talked about this here on AVS. After about 20 more minutes talking he ended up deciding to go with the custom installer and C4 system.

Joe
post #563 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 11:02 AM

Quote:

We are doing things with their systems that most consumers (AVS DIY guys included) have never imagined possible.

This type of comment leads DIY guys to not respect custom installers.
post #564 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree with Joe and N. Reed. One sure way to make sure that I never trust a custom installer is for him to tell me that he's doing things I've never imagined possible. As Brent said, it's not rocket science unless you try to make it so.

Personally, I was so frustrated with how ridiculous the prices were for AMX/Crestron type systems and even Elan/Russound type systems that I was ready to give up on the whole idea. Control4 changed that for me. I appreciate Jim and Eric's contributions and responsiveness here.

I understand your frustration, but I guarantee you won't win any friends by expressing it here.
post #565 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 02:39 PM

In premierht defense, I don't believe he thinks Jim should abandon these forums. We as dealers have a little resentment towards Control4 because we don't get this type of attention over on our dealer only forums. There is no dout Control4 wants as many opinions as possible, so they can move ther model in the right direction. We just wanted to bring it to his attention that we would like to see him over there more.
post #566 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Here we go again. ...

But again, I don't want to start another war in this thread as I really admire you DIY's willingness to experiment with these systems at your cost and time.

This has to be the most condescending statement I have ever seen on this forum....If this is how you treat your customers you will not have to worry about C4's support for DIY's much longer. I spent a good deal of time yesterday posting back and forth with Alan, Dave and QQQ about "DIY's"and the venom that some of them spit at CI's. You have now shown why some do so.

As for those that post about THEIR gear here that THEY bought with THEIR own money......you need to get over it. I doubt that they think they are experimenting.

As for your condescending attitude of superiority that is so overwhelming that you can not believe that any of us DIY's could even find the power cord for a system I'll clue you in as to MY skills..I started installing audio equipment when I was 10that's 34 years ago. I got my start in Video design and installation over 25 years ago. As for the computer part I have been a Systems engineer for over 15 years and was one half of the design, engineering and Branch system management team for one of the top 10 largest commercial banks in the world. As part of that team after my partners and my design was tested and found to be ready we oversaw the deployment of over 35,000 workstations, 2500 LANs and 2500 WAN connections along with 2500 servers. All in just over 1 year .under budget I might add. This is only one of the projects that I have been part of.

So don't come here with your insulting tone and act like we are all a bunch of fools that can not find our way out of a wet paper bag with out your fine guidance..cause I just don't need it.
post #567 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf3369 View Post

In premierht defense, I don't believe he thinks Jim should abandon these forums. We as dealers have a little resentment towards Control4 because we don't get this type of attention over on our dealer only forums. There is no dout Control4 wants as many opinions as possible, so they can move ther model in the right direction. We just wanted to bring it to his attention that we would like to see him over there more.

Ok so say so....quietly and politely. I would have suggested the PM function ...or the phone...or email so as to not embarrass Jim here on a public forum about how he is ignoring his dealers and supporting End users ....a fact that is against the rules of his employer......

or is this in fact the intention?....
post #568 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 02:49 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

One sure way to make sure that I never trust a custom installer is for him to tell me that he's doing things I've never imagined possible.

I don't want to get dragged into this but I have to come to premierht's defense. One of you DIY guys wives also told me I was doing things she never imagined possible. And that wasn't even with a Control4 system, that was just using a remote control. I guess I can understand the trust issue though.

Edit: never mind, hadn't read the entire post from premierht. Oh well.
post #569 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ View Post

I don't want to get dragged into this but I have to come to premierht's defense. One of you DIY guys wives also told me I was doing things she never imagined possible. And that wasn't even with a Control4 system, that was just using a remote control. I guess I can understand the trust issue though.

Edit: never mind, hadn't read the entire post from premierht. Oh well.

QQQ...very funny ...also glad that you recanted....I need to show this to Alan and Dave.... This is why some act as we were talking about yesterday even though it's wrong....Remember when I said that you CI's were not going anywhere...I did not include rude people like this in that.....not that I am wishing bad things on someone...just that they might reform!
post #570 of 1429 Old 09-19-2005, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemci View Post

Premier, I'm not sure what your problem is, but most of the time when you post here you come across as "angry condescending man"!
Joe

I love it when I lose my bete noir status. I wonder how long it will take for me to regain it?

C4 is not my cup of tea so I have not bothered to look too deeply beneath the hood. What is the language C4 expects its macros to be written? Might I assume C+? The Panasonic protocol is not all that difficult to figure out.

As this is a DIY forum, rather than write the module perhaps it would be better if I helped you and those who might wish to put in the sweat equity and do it themselves. If the problem is deciphering the protocol's language that is one thing and easily solved. If it's how to write code that is an other matter. I have always wished to find some test to determine how many DIYs were simply cheap and lazy and how many were willing to do it themselves either for the fun of it or just because.... Perhaps this is the test. Anyone willing to put in the time and learn how to write the code themselves? If I help you to figure out the Panny syntax will you be willing to write the module and publish it for free for any C4 user?

Joemci wrote:
" I am willing to pay for it - within reason! "

For the record, unless a programmer expects to sell his intellectual property to a mass market ( which might be 1000 copies ) custom code, even a simple device driver can run into money. Some donate their code for the "cause" however "cause" is defined. I have published a few modules on the Crestron Yahoo site because that site is special and made of participants who are throwbacks to an other time and culture. I wrote my Panasonic module in about 30 minutes. But I have been writing control system code for 7 years. Time is money and the time I do not spend with my family I expect to earn a living. I am most interested in the definition of " within reason!" Might it be somewhere between $50-$100?

I think I regained my bete noir status in less than 4 paragraphs. Damn!

Alan
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page