Control4 FAQ, tips & tricks - Page 7 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > A/V Control & Automation > Home A/V Distribution > Control4 FAQ, tips & tricks

Home A/V Distribution

bhuskins's Avatar bhuskins
12:40 PM Liked: 10
post #181 of 1429
07-29-2005 | Posts: 865
The driver for the C4 thermostat has not been released. That's why an agent would have to be used to do it right now along with contact closure or something similar.

The C4 Thermostat will change things substantial as it will have a specific driver designed for it. They are currently planning drivers for Aprilaire, Honeywell and RSC as well.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
jacksonian's Avatar jacksonian
07:16 AM Liked: 10
post #182 of 1429
07-30-2005 | Posts: 4,595
Max, I don't see the C4 Thermostat driver yet. I think Brent or Eric had said it wasn't ready yet. All I see is the Honeywell Envirazone driver. I'm anxiously waiting for the HTC and thermostat.

You may have already done this, but here's a tip with the Composer update. Make sure you update all the software versions in the Tools -> System Manager. Then update the drivers for your equipment by restoring defaults. I believe with this update you have to delete the Media Controller from your project and then re-add it to your project for the changes to take effect. And last (this is the part that I missed), physically unplug your MC and let it reboot. I kept having audio problems after the new update until I unplugged and rebooted.

On another note, I've ordered a Harmony 880 for the theater. I just really like that interface and it's very easy for my wife. I'm OK with C4 not making a killer HT remote, I think it would be impossible for them to make the best product in every category. I would like to see the C4 remote be a little easier to use in the dark though, and maybe a better button layout.
AJF's Avatar AJF
11:29 AM Liked: 10
post #183 of 1429
07-30-2005 | Posts: 792
jacksonian,

I remember reading a while back that the MC can't be directly controlled using IR, but that it would be added in a future update .
ex0tica's Avatar ex0tica
06:17 PM Liked: 10
post #184 of 1429
07-31-2005 | Posts: 20
Hi all, this is my first post but have been reading the forumns for quit a while now. Was extremely ignorant (still am) with this home automation concept, but extremely interested at the same time as i'm in the proccess of having a new house built. First off i was really leaning towards elan due to the price diff from crestron accomplishing close to the same things. I'm mainly doing doing 8-10 audio souces, home theatre, lighting control, thermostat etc...
My basic question is that with elan they have the paging system througout and the audio distribution, such as audio video door station, video on touchpanels, security camera control and viewing on touch panels and t.v.'s. I know they are completly diff systems, but i'm just trying to figure out the major diffs. Now does anyone know if this is somthing that conftrol 4 will add later, or if maybe it's already in talks. And if so would i basically just need to add RG-6 to the areas i want video distributon. I have read all the control 4 forums i could find, if you know of any other good ones with the info i am looking for please let me know.

Thanks for the help in advance,
X
ex0tica's Avatar ex0tica
06:18 PM Liked: 10
post #185 of 1429
07-31-2005 | Posts: 20
Hi all, this is my first post but have been reading the forums for quit a while now. Was extremely ignorant (still am) with this home automation concept, but extremely interested at the same time as i'm in the process of having a new house built. First off i was really leaning towards elan due to the price diff from crestron accomplishing close to the same things. I'm mainly doing doing 8-10 audio sources, home theatre, lighting control, thermostat etc...
My basic question is that with elan they have the paging system througout and the audio distribution, such as audio video door station, video on touchpanels, security camera control and viewing on touch panels and t.v.'s. I know they are completely diff systems, but i'm just trying to figure out the major diffs. Now does anyone know if this is something that control 4 will add later, or if maybe it's already in talks. And if so would i basically just need to add RG-6 to the areas i want video distributon. I have read all the control 4 forums i could find, if you know of any other good ones with the info i am looking for please let me know.

Thanks for the help in advance,
X
06:26 PM Liked: 10
post #186 of 1429
07-31-2005 | Posts: 4,595
AJF,
I'm not planning on using the Harmony to do anything with the C4 system. I will just have my Harmony stationed in my theater to control all my theater gear instead of using the Home Theater Controller and C4 remote.
PabloReiter's Avatar PabloReiter
05:06 AM Liked: 10
post #187 of 1429
08-01-2005 | Posts: 728
OK guys, I think I am ready to pull the plug so to speak and go with C4. I need a couple of questions answered. Does the composer software run on XP? Can one use an existing PC tablet to run it instead of their touchscreens? Can I run it on a PC? Information on the software is sketchy on their website.

thanks in advance
R_Willis's Avatar R_Willis
09:07 AM Liked: 11
post #188 of 1429
08-01-2005 | Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloReiter View Post

OK guys, I think I am ready to pull the plug so to speak and go with C4. I need a couple of questions answered. Does the composer software run on XP?
thanks in advance

It is a drag and drop interface.

The Composer software is indeed made to run on Windows XP.

Requires (recommended):

Microsoft's .NET software
500mhz processor or higher
256mb RAM
80 mb Hard Disk space
Video Card Display capable of 1024x768 or higher
keyboard/mouse
TCP/IP-based home network
Stash's Avatar Stash
10:09 AM Liked: 10
post #189 of 1429
08-01-2005 | Posts: 221
PabloReiter, just to clarify, the composer software is used to program the system, but does not control the system. You cannot load composer on a tablet PC and then use that PC to control lights, media, HVAC...
joemci's Avatar joemci
10:20 AM Liked: 10
post #190 of 1429
08-01-2005 | Posts: 95
Pablo + Stash, yes Composer is only used to program the controller, but they will be coming out with a software version of the Navigator interface, which will run on Windows. I don't see why you could not use that on a Tablet PC instead of a touchscreen.

Thie software should be out by the end of the year and I am told will be available for free for C4 owners.

Joe
Kirill's Avatar Kirill
11:23 AM Liked: 10
post #191 of 1429
08-01-2005 | Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuskins View Post

and create an scheduling agent...

That agent will be created on the thermostat ? I don't need a PC running 24/7 to support it ?

Could you please explain how drivers for other brand thermostat works ? i understand with C4 thermostat i can do 2 way communication to it using any C4 LCD screen.

How it will work with Honeywell ? How can my C4 touch screen get information from Honeywell on whats current temperature preset ?
Max Spivak's Avatar Max Spivak
12:29 PM Liked: 10
post #192 of 1429
08-01-2005 | Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex0tica View Post

My basic question is that with elan they have the paging system througout and the audio distribution, such as audio video door station, video on touchpanels, security camera control and viewing on touch panels and t.v.'s. ... Now does anyone know if this is somthing that conftrol 4 will add later, or if maybe it's already in talks.

While others have asked about paging/intercom and video on touchpanels in this and other threads, I haven't heard anything about these features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex0tica View Post

And if so would i basically just need to add RG-6 to the areas i want video distributon. I have read all the control 4 forums i could find, if you know of any other good ones with the info i am looking for please let me know.

There are a few C4 threads on remotecentral, but they're more bitching and less content.
av master's Avatar av master
06:16 PM Liked: 10
post #193 of 1429
08-01-2005 | Posts: 12
From what i was told at the 4Real Tour the Mini touch screens have a mic and a speaker built in.......but they are not in use yet........I also asked about a phone mute like the Elan Com Controller Eric said there is a modem built into the MC which when enabled could be programed to mute the music when the phone rings............I would like them to come out with a door station for the front door, and waterproof controller. If they can deliver there product i think Control4 will revolutionize this industry.......and for video distribution they don't have a matrix switcher but there are plenty of switchers that are compatible with Control4..
PabloReiter's Avatar PabloReiter
07:12 PM Liked: 10
post #194 of 1429
08-01-2005 | Posts: 728
Thanks guys for all the replies.

If I want to start with a simple system of 8-10 dimmers and come on at nite (outdoor lights) and turn off in the morning, and grow into a more complex system, I would need 8-10 dimmers (wireless), a home theater controller and nothing else?

thanks
av master's Avatar av master
07:24 PM Liked: 10
post #195 of 1429
08-01-2005 | Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloReiter View Post

Thanks guys for all the replies.

If I want to start with a simple system of 8-10 dimmers and come on at nite (outdoor lights) and turn off in the morning, and grow into a more complex system, I would need 8-10 dimmers (wireless), a home theater controller and nothing else?

thanks

i would add a 3 or 6 button keypad to easily change lighting scenes.......but you don't have to
09:04 PM Liked: 10
post #196 of 1429
08-02-2005 | Posts: 666
Two questions:

Is there a way to gracefully shutdown the MC? Short of yanking out the power cord, that is.

I'm having problems updating Composer. Help->Check for Upgrades searches for a while, and then comes back with a failure. Has anyone else had this problem? Are there ports on the internet router I need to unblock (I did try running my PC in the DMZ, but no luck). Are there any settings I can tweak? Any other ideas?

Thx,
Max
09:14 PM Liked: 10
post #197 of 1429
08-02-2005 | Posts: 4,595
Hey Max,
1) I don't think there's any other way. Just yank it and plug it back in. I don't think hitting the reset button will do it.

2) What kind of "failure" are you getting? I haven't had any trouble getting updates, but I know Joe did at one time, not sure what his resolution was. There shouldn't be any need to adjust your router settings. As long as you can connect to the web, you should be able to find it. I just downloaded the update without any problem.
12:49 AM Liked: 10
post #198 of 1429
08-03-2005 | Posts: 666
All is well.

The Update problem has something to do with my PC, not C4.

I installed Composer on another XP box and it was able to get the update just fine. So I'm good to go. Thanks jacksonian.

Max
joemci's Avatar joemci
09:02 AM Liked: 10
post #199 of 1429
08-03-2005 | Posts: 95
Max, I had the same problem as you and still have not been abe to fix it on the original computer. I was told that if you put a very early version of the program on your computer, you would have to fully remove all parts of it manually and then install a newer version for it to work.

I did as you and just installed one of the newer versions on another computer and it updates. An odd work around, but one that only a few of us who had the original software would ever have an issue with.

Joe
01:19 PM Liked: 10
post #200 of 1429
08-03-2005 | Posts: 4,595
It's weird because I had that same early version, but never had any trouble with updates. I guess there was something different about my pc software environment at that time. I just hit "Update Composer" every few days to see if there's anything available. On a side note, I'm fairly impressed with the speed/frequency of the updates.
Stash's Avatar Stash
01:58 PM Liked: 10
post #201 of 1429
08-03-2005 | Posts: 221
I've struggled with software issues lately too. The first two times I attempted an update it would never complete. Now I am having issues with all my media showing up multiple times on the mc navigator and remote (only one instance appears in composer). Started the second update this morning and I will try to finish tonight. Thus far I have been updating composer and then going into composer and clicking the update button in system status window. Do I need to reset the MC after this or do a restore defaults (where do I do this)?

On a side note C4 has been updating their device drivers. I now have my 4806 driver. I have been and am still very impressed with their equipment and the software is getting better and better. Now they just need to redesign the remote (or provide IR codes) and get their video output to fill a 16x9 screen.
memnoch2's Avatar memnoch2
02:37 PM Liked: 10
post #202 of 1429
08-03-2005 | Posts: 277
is the Control4 XM tuner available yet and for how much?
is it possible to integrate Netstreams with C4? i prefer the C4 interface and expandability but prefer the music distribution scheme of Netstreams.
07:22 PM Liked: 10
post #203 of 1429
08-03-2005 | Posts: 666
My dealer told me XM tuner is a month out.

Considering that C4 and Netscreams compete in the same space, I don't think they integrate. What about C4 music distribution scheme do you think could be improved?

Max
07:31 PM Liked: 10
post #204 of 1429
08-03-2005 | Posts: 4,595
Stash,
I think your problems with it not finishing may have been a dialog box hidden behind the update window. That's what happened to me and I found mention of it in the update notice. For some odd reason the "finish installation" dialog box would open behind all the other boxes so you couldn't see it.

As for restoring the defaults, go to the System Design view, Items pane, My drivers tab, then right click on your media controller and then click "restore default list". I think you need to do this for any controllers and amps, but I'm not sure about switches, etc...

I also think you should delete and re-add the controller to the project and unplug/reboot it as well.
AJF's Avatar AJF
06:14 PM Liked: 10
post #205 of 1429
08-04-2005 | Posts: 792
Has anyone integrated a DVD mega-changer with their C4 system yet ?
oregun's Avatar oregun
12:34 PM Liked: 10
post #206 of 1429
08-05-2005 | Posts: 45
I'll post once I get it hooked up. I had a chance to play with a demo unit setup with the 777. It provides a similiar interface as the CD/MP3's. You can browse DVD cover art, make your selection and watch the movie.
AJF's Avatar AJF
12:40 PM Liked: 10
post #207 of 1429
08-05-2005 | Posts: 792
Thanks Oregon .
02:36 PM Liked: 10
post #208 of 1429
08-05-2005 | Posts: 865
It works great with one of my 777's as well. I've directly compared it to the Escient Fireball DVDM-300 and the Video Request unit...both of which I have. For the money, the Media Controller is definitely the best choice. It makes the original Sony interface looks ridiculous.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
02:39 PM Liked: 10
post #209 of 1429
08-05-2005 | Posts: 865
FYI,

For those that have updated to 1.1.1 of the software. Version 1.1.2 will be out in 1 to 2 days...likely by Monday. They wanted to update something in regards to the Home Theater Controller that just shipped. Their updating procedure and notification to dealers has been excellent. They're on the right track.

Brent Huskins
Media Design
AJF's Avatar AJF
03:42 PM Liked: 10
post #210 of 1429
08-05-2005 | Posts: 792
Brent,
Is your 777 being controlled using RS232 ?
Also, any word on product releases such as the Video Switcher and LCD Keypads?

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Subscribe to this Thread