edt i-line lighting control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-05-2005, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm building a house and looking for a relatively inexpensive lighting system. I've found a lighting system by EDT called i-Line www.edt.biz. I called up a local dealer and got some prices:

Dimmer: $65
On/Off: $60
Scene Selector and Slave switches $55.

However, since the dealer is an electrical wholesaler the individual couldn't give me much feedback on the system.

Does anyone have any experience with this product?

If anyone knows of any other good lighting systems around the same price point (Except for X-10) that can be integrated to some Home Controllers, like HAI, I'd appreciate the lead. Since my house is a new construction wiring to every switch is not a problem.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-05-2005, 02:13 PM

Never heard of i-Line.

But....

If you want to integrate to an HAI system, why not use HAI Switches?
post #3 of 6 Old 06-05-2005, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you want to integrate to an HAI system, why not use HAI Switches?
I'd concidered the HAI switches but I haven't been able to find any pricing for them. So, I just assumed they'd be priced similar to other 3rd party UPB switches which seem to be quite a bit more expensive than this EDT products. I'd welcome any HAI switch price information if anyone has any.

Budget is quite high on my list of requirements. The only thing that might be higher is that the product needs to actually work. :)

I also haven't 100% decided on HAI for the controller so I'm open on that front as well with the same requirements that cost be resonable and the item work. :)

Mike
post #4 of 6 Old 06-05-2005, 05:56 PM
AJF
Advanced Member

There is a very inexpensive system of wireless lighting switches/dimmers called Z-Wave . Dimmer and switches start at under $40 .

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/home.php?cat=6

They also make a hand-held controller and are slowly expanding the system with wireless thermostats, motion sensors etc . They can be programmed using the hand-held but can do much more using the Homeseer program .

http://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=624

Large lighting companies such as Intermatic and Leviton are also coming out with their own lines using Z-Wave technology, which lends more credibility to the technology .

http://www.smarthome.com/zwave.html
post #5 of 6 Old 06-05-2005, 07:48 PM

Whoever you plan to buy the HAI panel from can also give you pricing for the switches. IIRC, HAI's UPB switches seemed to be less than other brands for some reason.

The HAI alarm/controller, thermostats, and light switches make a nice "compact" system, allowing you to easily integrate several subsystems with one product line. To perform the same functions would require components from a few different manufacturers, which will increase the setup and troubleshooting time (probably significantly).

I'm not saying it's the best available (it may be, depending on budget), but it's an excellent start, for many...
post #6 of 6 Old 10-25-2005, 08:28 AM

I built the EDT i-line system into my new home. I have 65 loads being controlled by dimmers. I also control the lights with an ELK M1G. I moved in June 1, 2005 and I have had no reliability issues like I had at my previous house with power-line lighting products.
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page