Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #121 of 131 Old 11-08-2005, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dean,
Are the Jack PCs available yet? I haven't found any.

Thread,
For my touch screen I use a sub $200 one I bought on ebay and I love it. It's model number is TM-868 and I'm running xlobby on it right now. Pretty neat.

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 131 Old 11-08-2005, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I sent an inquiry to them asking about the product status. I'll see what they say. Since it claims to be CE.Net 5 based, perhaps they've been delayed because the official release of CE.Net 5 just happened like last week, right? And was much delayed relative to the original planned release I think.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #123 of 131 Old 11-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimre
Just read thru this thread (the relevant parts anyway) and the comment above struck me. I've been playing with a ViewSonic Airpanel 110 and it seems to have a very difficult time roaming between multiple access points in my house. As compared with my XP-based Tablet PC, which roams pretty seamlessly between APs.

Is this a known problem with WinCE-based devices? Thanks.
It's not so much the WinCE devices themselves as it's the way they have to be used in a HA application.

Personally, I had similar issues with WiFi connectivy and attendant RDP session stabilty.
Not very good for WAF.

A wired WinCE device might have fared better. This would be even more true in the case of a HA app that had a native WinCE client like CQC.

Life is short. Enjoy!
Andrew.
post #124 of 131 Old 11-08-2005, 06:01 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
theif
post #125 of 131 Old 11-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

QQQ,

How enlightened of you.

Keep it coming.

Life is short. Enjoy!
Andrew.
post #126 of 131 Old 11-08-2005, 06:44 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
I'm ONLY joking Andrew. I thought the "theif" misspelling would make it clear. Purely tongue in cheek. I will not make any more light of this dispute.
post #127 of 131 Old 11-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Ok.

Life is short. Enjoy!
Andrew.
post #128 of 131 Old 11-09-2005, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by premierht
I wonder why Andrew hasn't responded again?
Probably to spare us all (with regards to the personal dispute). The useful feedback is always welcome!

AI Limited
post #129 of 131 Old 11-09-2005, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midi-guy
It's not so much the WinCE devices themselves as it's the way they have to be used in a HA application.

Personally, I had similar issues with WiFi connectivy and attendant RDP session stabilty.
Not very good for WAF.

A wired WinCE device might have fared better. This would be even more true in the case of a HA app that had a native WinCE client like CQC.
This is one reason I'm considering the use of in-walls, especially so I can use them to disarm the alarm without hunting around the house. As a Wireless Engineer, I know firsthand that wireless can have issues with reliability.

AI Limited
post #130 of 131 Old 11-09-2005, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey
Something I've been ruminating on over in the Charmed Quark forum is the use of these:

http://www.chippc.com/products/thinc...ckpc/index.asp

They are basically tiny RDP clients, running CE.Net. So they are very small, dedicated RDP computers that can fit into a gang box or in a wall cavity behind something. So, I was thinking that, if you were looking for a completely centralized solution (for fixed all mounted panels I mean), where everything was maintainable in a central closet, you could go with a situation like this:

Put the a nice punchy controller in the closet, put one of these in each room, mounted in a wall cavity, in front of which you just mount a standard 15" or 7" touch screen. So basically each of them would just be set up to log into a particular account on the server, via RDP. So there would be zero automation software running in the rooms, it's all running back at the server, so when upgrades come out out, you upgrade the server, and everyone automatically is upgraded.

If you went with something like the Lilliput 7" touch screen for the small screens, then you'd be looking at about $650 per room, since the Lillput can be had for about $300 or less and the JackPC is abou $300. Add in another $50 for mounting bracket and such. The JackPCs can do up to 1280x1024, so in the major rooms you can mount a 15" screen and have more real estate. In those rooms you'd be looking at something like $1000 per room (about $600 for the touch screen and $300 for the JackPC plus odds and ends.

That seems like it could be an interesting and easily maintainable solution, that doesn't have a huge price per room. You could make it even more centralized by putting the JackPCs in the closet as well, and run each into an inexpensive Cat-5 based KVM extender so that only the wall mounted touch screen is in each room. So in the closet each JackPC would go into the ethernet switch, and then out through it's own KVM extender. That would offer an extremely centrally maintained system, at a small increase per room.

Of course if one or two of the rooms happens to be on the other side of the wall from the closet, then those could just do a straight video/touch screen run from the JackPC to the touch screen and save a few bucks.

A manly multi-GHz machine should easily be able to handle 10 RDP sessions when they are just running the automation interface touch screen viewer program, since most of the time they are doing nothing but idling and watching for changes in device state. And you'll have to run Windows Server or add a product like Thinsoft which allows for multiple RDP sessions on XP. But, in the end, you'll come out with a very controllable and maintainable system that offers rich two-way touch screen interfaces in every room for considerably less than the alternatives.
This idea is growing on me, but two way com to the front door is a must for me. Without it, it's hard to tell the UPS guy that I'll be right down or the sales guy to get the hell off my property and there's an uzi pointed at him. General intercom support would be nice too.

AI Limited
post #131 of 131 Old 04-06-2006, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Richardson
Some of us pros hang out here at AVS and bring so much to the table.
Given the !@#$ some of you all get, I really don't understand why you bother. :confused:

But I do appreciate your time and effort. So thanks.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page