Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2006, 01:11 AM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Good catch Dave. I was going to answer him but don't believe he deserves it because of that. Perhaps later if he apologizes.

:D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2006, 03:29 AM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusontheworld
2. Why Crestron says it won't same-SSID roam is baffling....
I have not tested this as of late because I never have anyone that wants to carry a 10" touchscreen from room to room. I did test roaming extensively last year and the panels, all of which contained the most recent version of firmware definitely had problems roaming and required rebooting to reliably switch access points. I am intrigued by your post and am going to research this. Would you please post the version of firmware you are using and associated info?
Quote:
The 10 is easy to carry around and at $3,800 retail, it would be tough to sell 10 for this pilot project at a total list of $38,000 for the panels especially when carry them around is acceptable and desirable.
Well, it's certainly desirable from a budget point of view. For most home applications I've found it anything but desirable and is akin to having one remote control to use between 3 TV's. It almost seems silly to me and the opposite of what home automation is supposed to be, which is to simplify ones life. If you have to travel half way across the house to get the touchscreen to adjust the HVAC and lights or what ever, what's the point?! Designing panels so that the Client has to select what room they are on to control the system also makes it less easy to use.

BUT, if it works for the Client that's what matters. I can also see starting with a certain number and then adding as needed. I can also see where someone would have smaller and/or more basic controls in most rooms, the TMPC-10's for a few others while still being able to carry the 10's around when they want to.

I remember a Client years ago that spent a very large amount of money on a system with me and had an elevator in his house. But rather than buy a TV for one of the rooms he reasoned that he would get a TV on a cart with wheels from one of the other rooms and roll it into the elevator and take it up to the third floor when he wanted to watch in that room. Thought it was funny as hell considering how much he spent on his system, not to mention the house.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ
I remember a Client years ago that spent a very large amount of money on a system with me and had an elevator in his house. But rather than buy a TV for one of the rooms he reasoned that he would get a TV on a cart with wheels from one of the other rooms and roll it into the elevator and take it up to the third floor when he wanted to watch in that room. Thought it was funny as hell considering how much he spent on his system, not to mention the house.
Maybe he wanted to act out the Jefferson's.... "Moving on up!"

...or get some use out of his elevator....?

I know, maybe he was just worried that the big bad dealer was just trying to upsell him!

Ok, so I'm not very funny at 3 in the morning. :eek:

AI Limited
Old 05-06-2006, 07:28 AM

Liked: 10
The Firmware Version of the 10 is 1.0.3.7.

The OS Image Version is 0.2.0040.0.

Does anybody have any observations on the apparent limited range of the radio in the 10 compared to current radios in other 802.11g hardware?

Are there any parameters than can be adjusted to tune the radio like power level like what is provided in other 802.11g hardware these days?