Russound CAV and IR pass through - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-17-2006, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a situation that i am trying to solve on paper and any insights will be very appreciated.
here is what my problem is:

CAV6.6 hooked up to DirecTV HD DVR, DVD players, CD players, ETC. 6 zones in the home, plus one unique non-zone hometheater room.

All my gear will be hooked up to the 1-6 IR emitters on the CAV. in my HT i want to place a in-wall IR emitter to run back to the closet. since all my video gear has the IR recievers with IR emitters from the CAV placed on them, how do i best control my gear in the HT without zoning the HT and using a UNO keypad.

i thought about bypassing the DTV and DVD players and using the 857 block through the ACC IR output on the CAV and then running an 858 reciever to the 857 block with twisted pair wire. that way i have the passthrough on the CAV and the in-wall emitter all sending IR through the 857 to the DTV and DVD.

a big issue i see is 1: will the 857 take both the common IR in as well as the system connection or is one or the other, 2: when passing the ACC IR out through the 857 will it maintain the correct source #s, ie will input source 1 on the CAV pass the IR through the ACC IR out and into the 857 and then back out the 857 source 1 output?

So if i have DVD player as source 1 and on the UNO keypad i select DVD and attempt to control the DVD without a remote just using the UNO keypad will the UNO send the signal through the CAV and then through the 857 and then out source 1 on the 857 to the DVD player?

i hope this makes sense and any and all insights will be appreciated.
thanks.
david
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSF View Post

All my gear will be hooked up to the 1-6 IR emitters on the CAV. in my HT i want to place a in-wall IR emitter to run back to the closet. since all my video gear has the IR recievers with IR emitters from the CAV placed on them, how do i best control my gear in the HT without zoning the HT and using a UNO keypad.

David... To clarify, sounds like all your source gear is located in the closet near the CAV and not in the HT room?

I think you may consider connecting an 858 in-wall IR receiver to the nearest UNO keypad (this will maybe save you some wiring?). With this done, IR will be passed back from the 858 in the HT room, through the UNO keypad that you connected it to, and then back to the CAV. With this configuration, any IR received by the 858 will be passed through the ACC IR output on the CAV and IR for the selected source will be passed to that sources IR output.

If all you're equipment is unique, you may be able to connect a 857 IR connecting block to the ACC IR output and then attach your source IR emitters to this instead of the unique source IR outputs.

This should still allow IR control of any of the sources from any of the UNO keypads as well as pass through of all IR from the HT room IR receiver to all the sources. Again, the only drawback to this design that I can think of is you can't add two similar sources (like two Direct TV tuners) because there won't be independant IR control for them.

I've not done a configuratoin like this, so chew on it to determine if it will work for you...

Cheers,
Paul
post #3 of 7 Old 07-17-2006, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Now I am more confused.

All the CAV and A/V gear is in a closet in the HT room.

If I use the 858 to pass IR through an UNO back to the CAV, wont the 858 suffer the same issue as the UNO, that you can only IR to all devices when the UNO is on, otherwise you can only control the last selected device.

If i send all the IR emitters from the ACC IR out on the CAV through the 857 block and then out to the A/V gear, will the UNO keypads be able to ID sources 1 through 6?

Also, a very interesting point on 2 DTV boxes. i hadnt thoughout about that. i do plan on adding a 2nd DTV box in the future. My head hurts and its only 9am.

Maybe i should re-state my goal to solicit the best solution. I do not want my HT room to be a CAV zone, yet I want all my A/V gear connected to the CAV. In the HT room i have a closet that is behind the couches, not near the TV. I plan to hang a plasma on the wall and want to hide all the wires, etc. I plan to use a universal remote to control the TV, DVD, (2) DirecTV DVRs, etc. I would like to be able to pass the IR signal from the universal remote back to the A/V gear that is connected to the CAV, with the 6 IR emitters connected to the A/V gear from the CAV IR outputs. What is the best way to accomplish this and still have maximum functionality from the CAV.

thanks again!
post #4 of 7 Old 07-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

David,

I think you're understanding of how IR works with the UNO keypads may not be accurate. The UNO keypads continue to pass IR from the IR receiver even when the zone is off.

Because of this, any IR received from a hand held remote will still make it to the CAV regardless if the keypad (zone) is on or off. You need to use the ACC IR output on the CAV which passes all IR commands received, otherwise the IR is only outputted to the source that is selected on the UNO keypad (no matter if it's on or off).

I think what I've described will work fine until you try to add a second DTV box... unless the device has an "alternate" IR library which allows you to send discrete IR commands to more than one device (some gear has this), you'll run into the problem that you control both devices with IR instead of just one.

Another approach is to just intstall the 858 receiver and 857 connecting block independantly of the CAV and simply stick two emitters on each piece of source gear. This in effect accomplishes the same thing, just not as elegant and requires the purchase of another set of emitters. However, this setup will still suffer by sending the same IR to each DTV box when you add a second one unless you can address them each with unique IR codes?

This IR stuff can get tricky and there's often more than one way to accomplish what you're trying to do.

Cheers,
Paul
post #5 of 7 Old 07-17-2006, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Paul, great feedback and ideas.

I initially thought about using the 858 and the 857 independently of the CAV, placing 2 IR emitters on the A/V gear one from CAV and one from 857, but i was worried that the 2 emitters would be too large to place on the IR receiver area on the A/V gear. basically rendering one of them useless because it would be too far off center of the IR reciever on the gear. have you tried to attach 2 emitters on one A/V device and was it successful?

In a follow up to the D-TV boxes, perhaps the best solution would be to buy 2 different boxes from say sony and hughes. that way they will have unique IR codes.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-05-2007, 07:10 AM

Revive this thread.

DavidSF's setup is similar to mine. I will have all my gear in a rack in the family room (two zone AV receiver w 5.1 sound, CAV6.6, DVD, TIVO, Squeeze Box, etc.). The family room will be the primary site for TV/movie viewing. The Disply is a Plasma.

How can I pass IR commands back into the CAV system?
I would prefer to run most of my audio sources through the AV receiver first then to the CAV.
A separate IR block and doubling up on the blink emitters seems very non-elegant.

Receiver has: Remote IR Output, Remote IR Input, and Multiroom IR Input.

Is it as simple as using my receiver to bridge these two systems?
-IR receiver to Remote IR Input
-CAV to Multiroom IR Input

Bob
post #7 of 7 Old 04-10-2007, 06:36 AM

Is IR this tricky?

This must be a common setup.

AV & multiroom gear in one closet/cabinet. Home theater adjacent or close to gear.

I guess for the moment I will have an IR system just to drive my HT gear (receiver, cable STB, and Tivos). I will let the CAV IR system drive my Squeezebox and play around with the 'Multiroom IR Input' on the receiver.

The receiver is an old HK AVR320 and sadly I get a distinct hum from the 'multi out' output and will, in the short term, use one of the video outputs to drive my CAV multi room audio source.
It is time to get a new receiver but don't like the idea of laying out another $700.

Bob
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page