IR Control Over CAT5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-29-2006, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So here is my future setup. Dedicated home theater with high end Denon receiver and video sources such as DVD, Tivo, and DTV. I an planning to use that Denon receiver as an input into my Russound CAV so that I can then distribute those video sources through the rest of the house. But I need to establish IR control between the Denon and Russound units so that I have control at my UNO pads. I have a couple CAT5 and coax lines running between the units but I am struggling to figure out what hardware I would need to buy to turn one of those wires into an IR control line. Can someone post some specific links that will help be achieve this?

Edit:

Would something like this work since I need to send the video and audio signals between those untis as well?

http://www.thevideowall.com/products/SLI100.htm

It appears as if a standard IR emmitter plugs into these.

Thanks

PSN ID - BMC73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-30-2006, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrossan7 View Post

So here is my future setup. Dedicated home theater with high end Denon receiver and video sources such as DVD, Tivo, and DTV. I an planning to use that Denon receiver as an input into my Russound CAV so that I can then distribute those video sources through the rest of the house. But I need to establish IR control between the Denon and Russound units so that I have control at my UNO pads. I have a couple CAT5 and coax lines running between the units but I am struggling to figure out what hardware I would need to buy to turn one of those wires into an IR control line. Can someone post some specific links that will help be achieve this?

Edit:

Would something like this work since I need to send the video and audio signals between those untis as well?

http://www.thevideowall.com/products/SLI100.htm

It appears as if a standard IR emmitter plugs into these.

Thanks

You could use that, or if you have three coax's and the cat 5 you could use them without any additional hardware. With the three coax's you can carry the composite video, left audio and right audio, just by getting some coax to RCA adapters for the ends (assuming you already have standard coax ends on them). The IR is just a modulated DC voltage so you can use the cat5 to splice into a standard emitter to extend it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-30-2006, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post

You could use that, or if you have three coax's and the cat 5 you could use them without any additional hardware. With the three coax's you can carry the composite video, left audio and right audio, just by getting some coax to RCA adapters for the ends (assuming you already have standard coax ends on them). The IR is just a modulated DC voltage so you can use the cat5 to splice into a standard emitter to extend it.

I follow you on the coax to RCA adapters, but I am a little lost on what I would need to buy to establish the IR line? Would you be so kind and post a link(s)?

Thanks

PSN ID - BMC73
post #4 of 12 Old 08-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

That's a neat unit... I hadn't seen it before. It looks like the IR receiver is made to take signal from a remote and doesn't' have the 1/8" jack you'll need to connect into the CAV so I don't think it's a very good fit.

How long is the CAT5 run is between the HT and the CAV. IR signal should really be run over shielded cable, but if this distance isn't over 40-60ft, it may work to run the IR right over the CAT5 by just soldering a 1/8" jack on two wires at one end and then a 1/8" plug on the other to create basically a long (CAT5) IR extension cable.

Depending on how many coax and CAT5 runs you have available between the HT and CAV you have the following options:

Option #1 -Use 2 CAT5 cables: One for the IR as described above if it's short enough to work and the second with an audio/video balun.

Option #2 -Use 3 coax: One for video, one for left audio, one for right audio and then use the channel vision IR-4500 or similar to send IR over the video coax (no baluns needed).

Option #3 -Use 3 coax and 1 CAT5: Video and Left & Right audio over the coax, and then IR over one pair of wires in the CAT5 as described in the first option provided it's short enough to work.

***Option 2 should work without issue, the other two you won't know if IR will work over the CAT5 until you try.

Cheers,
Paul

post #5 of 12 Old 08-30-2006, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrossan7 View Post

I follow you on the coax to RCA adapters, but I am a little lost on what I would need to buy to establish the IR line? Would you be so kind and post a link(s)?

Thanks

As Paul explained, you don't need to buy anything really. Just use the Cat5 as an extension cable, connecting the conductors in the Cat5 to the conductors in the IR cable.

post #6 of 12 Old 08-30-2006, 05:51 PM

I am doing a very similar project!

I am using:
3 Coax (RG6) to run Component Video
2 Coax (RG6) to run Left and Right audio
1 SIIG Toslink to RCA converter to Coax for digital audio

and for IR:
For my IR solution I am going to use the:
- Wall Recievers: Xantech 780-10
- IR Power Supply: Cantech 781RG (says it can power 20 IR units)
- 4 Zone Amp: http://www.xantech.com/products/p_folder/p_79520.htm

The Cabling will be Cat5e (only three lines needed though)

I figured the cost for each IR is close to 25.00 but man haveing a flush jbox is super nice
post #7 of 12 Old 08-31-2006, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

IR will run on CAT5 all day long. I have gone 200ft. All one needs to do is convert from wire connection A to wire connection B. Soldering etc.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-15-2007, 06:39 PM

Ok

I have a basic IR distro over CAT6 that I am trying to set up and it is not working. I have a basic Buffalo IR connecting block w/ optional power and a tube IR receiver. I have toned out the pairs so I know I am on the correct cable. I am connectin Blue to Signal, White to V+ and Brown/Brown white to Ground.

I am getting nothing. Any ideas?

TIA
post #9 of 12 Old 01-24-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outie View Post

I am doing a very similar project!

I am using:
3 Coax (RG6) to run Component Video
2 Coax (RG6) to run Left and Right audio
1 SIIG Toslink to RCA converter to Coax for digital audio

and for IR:
For my IR solution I am going to use the:
- Wall Recievers: Xantech 780-10
- IR Power Supply: Cantech 781RG (says it can power 20 IR units)
- 4 Zone Amp: http://www.xantech.com/products/p_folder/p_79520.htm

The Cabling will be Cat5e (only three lines needed though)

I figured the cost for each IR is close to 25.00 but man haveing a flush jbox is super nice

Hey Outie;

Why did you go with RG6 to drive the Left/Right Audio versus using 1 pair of Cat5e for Left and another pair for right audio?

Based on your answer, tomorrow may be a rather long day indeed...
post #10 of 12 Old 01-25-2007, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Nelson View Post

Hey Outie;

Why did you go with RG6 to drive the Left/Right Audio versus using 1 pair of Cat5e for Left and another pair for right audio?

Based on your answer, tomorrow may be a rather long day indeed...

I saw your post over on Cocoon Ed, and I was wondering what you ment by using a Cat5 for L/R audio. I'm sure it can be done but its not common place. Usually for audio, folks run two RG6 for analog or one RG6 for digital coax. You could use an AA plate (9870) and I think they can do video and audio over two Cat5's. Did you already wire your house?

--Jamie
post #11 of 12 Old 02-27-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I know this is an older thread, but it applies directly to my situation...

I see that cat5 is being used to run from the IR Receiver to the IR Repeater, but can it be used to run from the repeater to the IR Emitter?

To me its the same theory just going in the opposite direction so should be a yes.

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-27-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

I see that cat5 is being used to run from the IR Receiver to the IR Repeater, but can it be used to run from the repeater to the IR Emitter?

To me its the same theory just going in the opposite direction so should be a yes.

And you would be right.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page