Best Splitter for 8 Way Split - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 11-26-2006, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to split my incoming cable feed 8 ways. The ChannelPlus splitter left ALL TVs with a Fuzzy picture. Please advise what product would be a great solution. Thx...Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-26-2006, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip100 View Post

I need to split my incoming cable feed 8 ways. The ChannelPlus splitter left ALL TVs with a Fuzzy picture. Please advise what product would be a great solution. Thx...Phil

This was a passive 8-way splitter? If so, each of the 8 outputs would have less than 1/12 the original signal strength. A poor picture would definitely be expected in that case. You want an amplified splitter - ChannelPlus makes some nice ones, as does ChannelVision and others. Also called "RF Distribution Amplifiers"...
post #3 of 27 Old 12-04-2006, 08:33 PM

Any updates or recommendations? I am looking at this Leviton:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...d-20/ref=nosim

* Gold-flashed contacts on 2.05 GHz units provide lowest conductive resistance.
* Use with the video amplifier for increased signal strength.
* Splits video signals.
* Die-cast housing and printed circuit board.
* Outputs for up to 4; 6 or 8 televisions.

I saw the RF Distribution Amplifiers 1x8 and they're like $500. I'm looking to spend like $50 if possible. That's way out of my price range for a splitter.

Also, what's the difference in GHZ? I noticed a lot are 1GHZ. This one is 2GHZ. Does that matter?
post #4 of 27 Old 12-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That is not amplified.....

to illustrate what you are trying to do, here are your splits:

1 to 2 = -3db (50%)
2 to 4 = -3db (50%)
4 to 8 = -3db (50%)

so end up with a little more than 10% of the signal to each of the 8 outputs (12.5%) but that assumes NO loss anywhere else, which is not the case. Each F-connector has loss....

What you are doing is just not physically possible unless you had a sufficient signal to begin with (which you dont because you said it was "fuzzy")

you have to spring for an aplifier. You dont need a 1x8, amplify the main feed, and see how that works (it almost always does).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTour98 View Post

Any updates or recommendations? I am looking at this Leviton:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...d-20/ref=nosim

* Gold-flashed contacts on 2.05 GHz units provide lowest conductive resistance.
* Use with the video amplifier for increased signal strength.
* Splits video signals.
* Die-cast housing and printed circuit board.
* Outputs for up to 4; 6 or 8 televisions.

I saw the RF Distribution Amplifiers 1x8 and they're like $500. I'm looking to spend like $50 if possible. That's way out of my price range for a splitter.

Also, what's the difference in GHZ? I noticed a lot are 1GHZ. This one is 2GHZ. Does that matter?

post #5 of 27 Old 12-04-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimelurker View Post

That is not amplified.....

to illustrate what you are trying to do, here are your splits:

1 to 2 = -3db (50%)
2 to 4 = -3db (50%)
4 to 8 = -3db (50%)

so end up with a little more than 10% of the signal to each of the 8 outputs (12.5%) but that assumes NO loss anywhere else, which is not the case. Each F-connector has loss....

What you are doing is just not physically possible unless you had a sufficient signal to begin with (which you dont because you said it was "fuzzy")

you have to spring for an aplifier. You dont need a 1x8, amplify the main feed, and see how that works (it almost always does).

I'm another guy, not OP. I just have 7 TV's that I need to split to. I just didn't know what the heck to buy, there's so many options out there. 1ghz, 2ghz, etc... I have no idea what I'm looking at or what to buy. But it sounds like you are saying if I put the 1x8 on it is going to destroy my picture. Right now I have a 1x4 on it but need to expand, so I figured I'd find a 1x8. You are saying otherwise? I do want a good picture, I just don't want to spend a boatload if possible... and I think the one you mentioned earlier required AC power?
post #6 of 27 Old 12-04-2006, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

What is your incoming siganl level? Is it clean? If your incoming level is low, than a decent amp will boost it so it can be split with an 11-12db loss from an 8 way. If the siganl is not clean coming in then an amp will only make it worseie you are amplifying the crap. Have someone check your levels. Your cable company should be able to get you a good signal to your TVs. Also, you must get a two way amp if you want pay per view, guide and video on demand.
post #7 of 27 Old 12-05-2006, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

This is alll that's needed for both posters.

http://www.solidsignal.tv/prod_display.asp?PROD=CM3045
post #8 of 27 Old 12-05-2006, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post

Will that work with the on demand service, pay per view, tv guide, etc... for 2 TV's? Only two of the TV's are going to have an HD cable box, the rest will use the built in tuners. As far as the original signal, it is good. No static at all in the pic.
post #9 of 27 Old 12-05-2006, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Your incoming signal may not have any static, but it could also be at 2db, 0db or any other random number. If it is low, it needs to be amplified before splitting. Even if it looks clean, it may not really be.

That CM amp is two way, so it should work very well.
post #10 of 27 Old 12-05-2006, 09:14 AM

Super! I went ahead and ordered the CM3045 from the website you linked.

I have always been a little leary of amplifying cable signals. I have a Motorola 484095-001-00 Signal Booster upstairs on my 42" Wega. I noticed it adds some ghosting to the picture (you can see shadows of certain colors). Is this going to do the same thing on all of my TVs? Or is that Motorola just a crappy booster?
post #11 of 27 Old 12-05-2006, 11:40 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Or is that Motorola just a crappy booster?

It's probably because you have it installed in the worst possible location.
post #12 of 27 Old 12-05-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus View Post

It's probably because you have it installed in the worst possible location.

Where would be the best location? I only added it there because I was forced to split its cable signal when I hooked up a dual tuner TiVo. The picture coming out of the TiVo is not very good and they told me it's becasue TiVo doesn't have an amp built in like the Comcast box does so I should purchase one and hook it up to it. So that's what I did.... Dumb on my part?

So maybe I should get rid of the Motorola and install this CM downstairs on the main line?
post #13 of 27 Old 12-06-2006, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTour98 View Post

So maybe I should get rid of the Motorola and install this CM downstairs on the main line?

Yes. Install the CM amplifier as close as possible to where the cable enters the house. Never use two amplifiers on the same line so remove the Motorola. It's also very important to terminate unused outputs on any amplifier and the ends of unused cables with 75 Ohm passive loads to avoid reflections and ghosting.
post #14 of 27 Old 12-06-2006, 04:52 AM

Quote:

Yes. Install the CM amplifier as close as possible to where the cable enters the house. Never use two amplifiers on the same line so remove the Motorola. It's also very important to terminate unused outputs on any amplifier and the ends of unused cables with 75 Ohm passive loads to avoid reflections and ghosting.

Also good information to know. Thank you!

Where's a good place to get those 75 Ohm terminators? Would Radio Shack have something like that? I'd get them online but I imagine they're pretty cheap and the shipping will end up being 4x the cost of the item. And for placement, they should go everywhere that does not have something plugged in? IE, if there was an extra port on the splitter put one there? If there's a cable jack that isn't being used, put one there? Also, is there a specific type of terminator I should be looking for? I noticed some say "do not use when DC current is present". If the signal is amplified by the CM 3045 I am buying, won't that put a DC current on all the lines?
post #15 of 27 Old 12-06-2006, 06:24 AM

Quote:

If the signal is amplified by the CM 3045 I am buying, won't that put a DC current on all the lines?

Only if the amp is broken.
post #16 of 27 Old 12-06-2006, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus View Post

Only if the amp is broken.

Ok so does it matter then what type of terminator I use? I see 75 ohm terminators that are less than $1 and I see others that are $4 or $5. I'm not sure what a good brand is or what exact one I should be getting.
post #17 of 27 Old 12-06-2006, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=852

The cheap ones are just as good for this application. In fact you could make your own out of 75 Ohm resistors.

the DC current warning refers to the power supplies for some satellite and OTA pre-amp lines. Not an issue for you.
post #18 of 27 Old 12-06-2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=852

The cheap ones are just as good for this application. In fact you could make your own out of 75 Ohm resistors.

the DC current warning refers to the power supplies for some satellite and OTA pre-amp lines. Not an issue for you.

Thanks for all the help NightHawk, gonna order some right now!
post #19 of 27 Old 12-28-2006, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i see this unit has 8 outputs, does it automatically split the cable 8 ways regardless if 8 runs of coax are connected to it, or does it only cut the signals according to how many inputs are used (ie. if only 2 inputs are used, does it cut the signal in half resulting in better performance)? the reason i ask is because i really only need 4 runs at the moment but if i ever expand i would opt for the 8 unit as opposed to the 4. anyone?

Dedicated Theater Construction Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Automation Construction Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 27 Old 12-28-2006, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

i see this unit has 8 outputs, does it automatically split the cable 8 ways regardless if 8 runs of coax are connected to it, or does it only cut the signals according to how many inputs are used (ie. if only 2 inputs are used, does it cut the signal in half resulting in better performance)? the reason i ask is because i really only need 4 runs at the moment but if i ever expand i would opt for the 8 unit as opposed to the 4. anyone?

It splits/amplifies the signal evenly to the eight outputs regardless of whether you use them, which is what you want. You don't want 2x or 4x power if you aren't using ports. Too much amplification can be as bad as too little.

post #21 of 27 Old 12-29-2006, 09:43 PM

Channel Vision C-0332. This would work for you perfectly. Splits and then amplifies the signal back up. Now, I know it gives you 16 outputs but just use terminators on the open ones.

Product pic:

http://www.channelvision.com/image/p...cts/C-0332.jpg

All Amplified RF products page:

http://www.channelvision.com/index/35
post #22 of 27 Old 01-01-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

this unit looks to be exaclty what i need. the only thing i noticed though is that the unit is unity gain, and it only outputs 1db signal gain per output. is this any good? also, will the signal be degraded in any way buy using this as opposed to using an amplified splitter like the one mentioned above that does 8 inputs? i am looking for the unit to provide me with no signal loss or even a slighty amplified signal after all 16 channels are used.

post #23 of 27 Old 01-09-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

can anyone help me out with this one?

post #24 of 27 Old 01-09-2007, 09:25 PM

Well you have to realize no matter what unit you use you are splitting a signal made for one output.

There can be a noticable loss or a loss that is noticable to trained eyes only.

Using components like these you get what you pay for.

Channelvision makes some very reasonable priced av distribution products and most homeowners will be happy with their quality.
post #25 of 27 Old 01-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

this unit looks to be exaclty what i need. the only thing i noticed though is that the unit is unity gain, and it only outputs 1db signal gain per output. is this any good? also, will the signal be degraded in any way buy using this as opposed to using an amplified splitter like the one mentioned above that does 8 inputs? i am looking for the unit to provide me with no signal loss or even a slighty amplified signal after all 16 channels are used.

As I understand the unit, it looks like it will basically pass a near identical copy of the input cable signal to up to 16 outputs. If your initial input level is OK then everything would be fine. If your initial CATV signal level is 10dB then every output should be 11dB.

The only problem I see would be if you have a borderline signal level to start with or with the -14dB return signal loss you might be in trouble if you require bidirectional communication (PPV, etc).
post #26 of 27 Old 01-10-2007, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect60 View Post

with the -14dB return signal loss you might be in trouble if you require bidirectional communication (PPV, etc).

so do you mean that the 14db return signal loss is far too much for a particular unit and i may encounter communication problems?

post #27 of 27 Old 01-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

It's not far too much for the particular unit as it's expected for a 16 way split with no reverse amplification, but it might well make communicating back to the CableCo to order PPV or interactive services dicey. A 14dB signal loss is equivalent to less than 3% of normal signal so unless you have pretty strong initial signal I wouldn't expect it to work though it still might.

Best FAQ I can find on amps, splitters, etc.

http://www.cabletvamps.com/education...l%20Amplifiers

If you require 2 way communication then I'd look for a different splitter like the Electroline 8100. If you just need to get signal from the source (no PPV orders, no cable modems inline, etc) then the Channel Vision may be fine particularly if you need 16 outputs.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page