Can I convert coax cable to component? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-21-2006, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic TH-42PX60U HDTV. This particular TV only has 1 coax connection. I want to connect a UHF/VHF antenna to it as well as connect it to my Dish Network receiver/tuner. To make a long story short, both the cables I can connect with from the Antenna and Dish Network receiver are coax. Is there a way to convert one of the coax cables to a component cable so I can connect both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-21-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipd View Post

I have a Panasonic TH-42PX60U HDTV. This particular TV only has 1 coax connection. I want to connect a UHF/VHF antenna to it as well as connect it to my Dish Network receiver/tuner. To make a long story short, both the cables I can connect with from the Antenna and Dish Network receiver are coax. Is there a way to convert one of the coax cables to a component cable so I can connect both?

Doesn't the Dish receiver box have component outputs? If not, you could either use a switch box to toggle between two RF inputs, or get a cheap stereo VCR from and hookup the output to component inputs on TV and antenna to VCR Coax input.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-21-2006, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Does the Dish Network receiver/tuner have any other outputs on the back? I would be very surprised if it did not have, at a minimum, RCA jacks for composite video and L/R analog audio. It may even have RCAs for component video. If this is the case, I would use those connections from the reciever/tuner to the TV. You'll free up your TV's F connector for your V/U antenna line, and you'll probably realize performance benefits too.

As it is, your receiver/tuner must be tuning in a satellite signal, demodulating its content, then re-modulating it (e.g. to "channel 3" or "channel 4") for transmission over the coax. Then the TV has to tune it in (over channel 3 or 4) and demodulate it. If this is the case, using a baseband connection from the receiver/tuner to the TV (the RCA connections for composite or component video mentioned above) would cut out several signal manipulations.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-21-2006, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

The Dish Network receiver is a dual tuner receiver. This TV is TV #2 and is about 40' away from the receiver. There are actually two options for connecting to TV #2. A coax cable or composite cable. I bought a 50' composite cable and connected it that way and get light bars scrolling through the picture and a humming sound from the audio. When I connect to the Dish Network receiver via the coax cable, the picture and sound are fine. So I was hoping there was a way that I could use that coax cable and devise a way to get it converted to component (or even composite for that matter) to connect to the TV. That way I could connect the Antenna directly to the only coax connection on the TV.

Or is there something I can get to 'clean up' or amplify (if necessary) the signal from the 50' long composite connection from the Dish Network receiver?
post #5 of 10 Old 12-21-2006, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You can get an A/B switch. This allows you to hook multiple coaxial cables to the switch and then one to the TV - however most have two inputs, hence the A/B part in the name. Some A/B switches can even be controlled by remote. That way you don't have to get up to change the source.

Here is one big problem to this however. Most TVs will require that you change the type of input when you change the source. For example, I've tried this to hook up both OTA antenna and cable to a TV that only has one coax input. However, when I change the source with the A/B switch, I must also change the input type on the TV and remap the channels. So it really isn't something you want to be switching back and forth.

I'm not sure exactly how the TV sees the satellite signal. Since it is controlled via the satellite box, I don't think you would have to map out or relearn the satellite channels (the box does that). So it might be an easier scenerio to switch back and forth between the two.

I think using the idea of a VCR as a way to convert the coaxial signal to a composite signal closer to the TV might be the easiest and least expensive option. Of course that means a more complicated system to start up and run, but with todays programmable remote controls that support macros, I don't think it would be hard to set up a system that anyone could use without special instructions.

- Brian

CQC user since 2005

SageTV user since 2007

PBX in a Flash user since 2012

post #6 of 10 Old 12-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Using a VCR (as already mentioned) is the easiest way to do it. RF out from sat receiver to RF in on VCR (located near TV #2), then L/R audio and composite video to TV.

Vin
post #7 of 10 Old 12-21-2006, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

So why aren't you upgrading your Dish box so you can have actual HDTV on your new Plasma?
post #8 of 10 Old 12-21-2006, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to Dish about upgrading. I have only been a customer a couple of months and was told by Dish that I can't upgrade until I've been with them at least 6 months. TV #1 on this dual tuner receiver is an HDTV as well (50" Samsung). I will have to add another HD receiver and possibly a new main switch (since I currently have 6 TVs hooked up). So in a few months, this problem may work itself out. But until then, I want to get the most I can out of the new Plasma. If I can hook the new Plasma up to the Antenna to get my local channels in HD and also connect to the Dish, I'll be at least halfway there until I can upgrade.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Ah, that makes sense. Due to interference, the composite cable setup doesn't work, and that's what forcing you to use the other connection. The VCR solution mentioned above would get the job done (of course, if your plasma TV is hung on a wall, this might not be an attractive option). Not sure kind of composite cable you were using -- it's POSSIBLE a better-shielded cable would be able to reject the interference you were picking up, but if it doesn't, then you might get stuck with an expensive 50' cable and no use for it. Alternative routing of the 50' cable you have MIGHT work, although if the TV is 40' from the receiver/tuner, that doesn't give you much slack for experimenting. Tough dilemma.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-08-2007, 12:31 PM

Another way to go would be to create a combined channel lineup onto a single coax with the terrestrial/Over-The-Air (OTA) antenna and the Dish Network TV#2 output. If there are no local OTA channels at the same center frequency as your Dish coax output (i.e. no one is broadcasting locally on the same channel, say channel 3) then this could be accomplished via a simple coax splitter/combiner.

I assume that the TV#2 coax output from the Dish TV box has only one channel of content coming out and it is on channel 3 or 4 (could even be selectable via a switch or mode on the satellite box). Just attach the antenna coax to one input of a combiner and attach the Dish TV coax output to the other input of the combiner. The combined signal can be sent into the coax input of your 2nd TV. Your TV should be able to run through all of the available OTA channels as well as see your Dish channel on ch 3/4.

If there are local OTA broadcasters on the same channel(s) that the Dish box outputs on its coax then you are going to have some trouble with the conflicting frequency bands. Since this is a temporary solution (until upgrade of your satellite box) I would go with the earlier VCR proposals as you will not lose access to any channels and is a relatively cheap way to go.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page