Long component cable and splitter degrading signal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-15-2007, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased 100Ft 3-RCA Component Video Cable and a PREMIUM Component Video Splitter from Monoprice. I am experiencing a slightly degraded video signal (slight ghosting) especially on the device at the end of the 100 ft component cable. Is this to be expected? Would the likely cause be the splitter, the length of cable, or would the premium 50ft cable be likely to solve the problem?

My bigger concern is a degraded video signal on my main (original) televsion. I added the spittler after the component out of my pioneer receiver and connected the orginal television with the original cable (5 ft) and added the 100 ft cable to reach my new 22 inch monitor in a different room. While I can accept the degraded signal to the extra monitor for occasional viewing, I want to rectify the issue on the main television. I am wondering if there may be a possible solution that would allow me to keep the splitter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-15-2007, 10:08 PM

Is this the splitter you're using?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

If it is, then you're splitting it 50-50 and are losing signal to both display devices.

I'm in the same situation you are, and what we need is a component distribution amp.

I'm looking for some recommendations from others on amps they've used and how well they work.
Thanks Mike
post #3 of 12 Old 01-15-2007, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Yes it is. I guess for $6 I should be happy it works at all. Do you think the amp solution will solve the problem completely or just improve results?
post #4 of 12 Old 01-15-2007, 10:23 PM

I'm not sure. I just started a new thread. Hopefully someone can help us out with it.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-16-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy37210 View Post

Yes it is. I guess for $6 I should be happy it works at all. Do you think the amp solution will solve the problem completely or just improve results?

A quality distribution amplifier will make an electronic duplicate of the original signal, meaning that picture quality will be indistinguishable between the two outputs.

Notice I said "quality", though - like with anything else, you get what you pay for.

Trent Davis
Audio Authority Corp.
Expert Audio/Video Solutions Since 1976

**Proud AVS Forum Alliance Members**
post #6 of 12 Old 01-16-2007, 07:41 AM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
There are two possibilities for the problems- the splitter you are using appears to be a passive splitter. You would probably do better with a component video distribution amp. Secondly, what kind of cable are you using? If they are RG59, you would be near the outside length for running HD video and would probably want to switch to a quality RG6 based component video cable.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
post #7 of 12 Old 01-16-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
I split the component video signal to 4 hdtv's, with two of them 100' away and the signal is excellent. However, I use an audio authority 9850 distribution amp. Two of the cables I purchased and the other two cables I made - good RG6 coax on which I installed rca connectors. I'm not an expert, but 50' may be pushing it without a quality amp.

"I like to watch" - Chauncey Gardiner in Being There
post #8 of 12 Old 01-16-2007, 08:04 AM

The prblem is due to the passive splitter you're using. You cannot split video signals this way. You end up with a double termination, and lower amplitude signals at both devices.
You must use a distribution amplifier.

Your cable lengths are OK, don't worry about that.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-18-2007, 09:20 AM

Search for "CE Labs AV400COMP" for one solution.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-18-2007, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. One note, I disconnected the 100ft cable and realized that the signal improved on my main television even though the splitter was still connected (with only the original component output connected).
post #11 of 12 Old 01-18-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:

I disconnected the 100ft cable and realized that the signal improved on my main television even though the splitter was still connected (with only the original component output connected).

The "splitter" is just a parallel connection, disconnecting one of the splits, effectively removes the splitter from the circuit.
It's the 75 Ohm termination resistors in the destination devices that lower the signal amplitude, when you try to put two of them in parallel.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-24-2007, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Just recieved the CE Labs AV400COMP I purchased on ebay for about $80 and after about 2 hours of running cable in the attic it looks like it paid off and is working great. My initial thoughts are that the video quality is much better on both displays although I need to look a little closer to convince myself.

I feel pretty stupid though as I realized that I could have gotten by with well less than 50 ft of component cable as I found a shorter route in the attic to lay the cable than I anticipated. Any thoughts on if the signal would improve at all with a shorter cable or the 50 ft premium version that monoprice carries?

thanks for all of your help. Now I just have to figure out what to do with my audio. Give up my 7.1 channels to use the second zone in the spare room or hook up an old receiver I have using the CE Labs AV400COMP and the two component audio cables that I just ran.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page