Does this setup make sense? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-24-2007, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok i think i got it. tell me what you think about this setup.

my new condo came 'pre wired' with a single cat5e line running from the leviton patch panel to each of the rooms.

in my patch panel, i'll have all the cat5e lines that are running to the rooms connected to a router (or a switch, does it matter?).

in our office, i'll have another router (or a switch?) connected to the sole rj45 jack. connected to the router will be 2 computers, a network printer, and a cable modem that's connected to a sole coax F connector cable jack. (i was going to go w/ dsl, but that would've required an extra phone jack and w/ gigabit networks using all 4 pairs, i would've had to run a wire from another room)

in our 2nd bedroom, i'll have a readynas gigabit server connected to the sole rj45 jack. (i could connect the readynas directly to the router in the patch panel in our master bedroom closet if you think that would really help performance)

in the living room, i'll have another router (or a switch?) that will connect the Tvix M4000, a Denon receiver, and a PVR.

*i'm a lil confused as to where to use routers or switches in this setup. since all these components in different rooms will have there own static or dhcp ip addresses, does this mean i should put a router in the patch panel, and switches everywhere else?

*if i put the router in the patch panel, should i just put the cable modem in there as well?

- ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The breakout points will be switches, not routers. Routers are your gateway to the outside world (in this form, routers can be used anywhere though).

I would keep the NAS box in the closet with the switches and breakout panel. No need to keep it out in the open. Tuck it away... Same with the cable modem router, etc, keep them central to your breakout point. Makes life easier that way. Unless the patch panel is full, in which case you'd lose that room's ethernet port to plug in the NAS, in which case i would put it in some office somewhere.

You need switches in each of your locations with multiple devices. You need a router connected to your cable modem (since most cable modems are bridge devices), ie. a linksys wireless router or cablemodem router, etc.

It's pretty simple really, and once you have it put togeather, you'll say the same thing
post #3 of 3 Old 01-24-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Your setup should look something like this:

incoming coax ->cable modem -> router -> either the incoming cables or to a switch, then out to the outgoing lines. A couple of questions:

How many ports does your router have?

How many rooms that have lines that you want active?

In what room is the patch panel located?

I would put the server where the patch panel, cable modem, and router are, but it's not that big of deal.

Matt

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page