Avatrix source inputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having the Avatrix installed in 2-3 weeks and I'm wondering what others are using for their 6 sources?

I'm planning on 3 HDTiVo's/HR20-250's, XBOX 360 for games only, HTPC (for ripped DVD's, HD DVD, Blu-Ray, Photos/Home Videos, etc). I've got one open source.

So, that got me to thinking - what are others using with their system or what WOUD you use if you had an Avatrix?

Since I'm getting this professionally installed I'd like to roll with a system on Day 1 that I can use for awhile (understanding that I may replace the HDTiVo's with more HR20-250's when D* rolls out their planned 100 HD channels this year (yeah right).

Thanks in advance for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post

I'm having the Avatrix installed in 2-3 weeks and I'm wondering what others are using for their 6 sources?

I'm planning on 3 HDTiVo's/HR20-250's, XBOX 360 for games only, HTPC (for ripped DVD's, HD DVD, Blu-Ray, Photos/Home Videos, etc). I've got one open source.

So, that got me to thinking - what are others using with their system or what WOUD you use if you had an Avatrix?

Since I'm getting this professionally installed I'd like to roll with a system on Day 1 that I can use for awhile (understanding that I may replace the HDTiVo's with more HR20-250's when D* rolls out their planned 100 HD channels this year (yeah right).

Thanks in advance for any input!

SmackDaddy, Yours is EXACTLY like mine will be once I move everything and I convince my 16 year-old son that his XBox 360 will be happier in the media closet rather than in his room! Well actually I have 3 HR10-250's not HR20-250's. I'll have one open source that won't be used right away. I may temporarily place a SD DirecTiVo that I will upconvert through my AV receiver to component on the open source. Once D* starts putting more HD on MPEG4 only, I will be forced to go with one of their DVR's and would probably fill the 6th source with their HD DVR and slowly migrate away from my DirecTiVos.

Good luck with your system.

Murray
post #3 of 12 Old 01-29-2007, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Murray:

Yeah, I'm a DirecTiVo guy as well and two of my HD boxes are 10-250's. I just pulled the trigger and got a 20-250, which I never would have done without the move to MPEG4. I'm a bit leery, but it seems to be the future and without Fios in my area, I need to give it a try.

I too have a SDTiVo (with 400 hours of recording space) that I would like to put in the rack, but I won't have a receiver in the rack to upconvert, so not sure what I'll do there.

I really don't know what to do for the 6th input. I feel like there has to be something I'm missing, but if I get a HTPC to put in the rack that can take care of most things I could imagine doing.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-29-2007, 07:26 AM

Great idea for a threaed SmackDaddy!!

My current plan is to have...

2 DirecTV HD DVR receivers(HR20)
2 DirecTV HD receivers
1 HD-DVD Player
1 media streamer connected to a NAS system.

My local out will go straight from the receiver in the media closet to the family room, which is HDMI distance away.

Since I do not yet own the HD-DVD Player or the NAS, I will probably fill those two up with our current DirecTV SD Tivo and another SD or HD box, depending on what I can get DirecTV to give me

We are not moving until April/May so I have a bit of time to decide.

John
post #5 of 12 Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 AM

For those using the xbox 360. What do you do regarding controlling the unit? Do the controllers signal reach teh 360 ok?

For those wondering what to do with the 6th spot, how about a front door video camera?
post #6 of 12 Old 03-05-2007, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapbreaker View Post

For those using the xbox 360. What do you do regarding controlling the unit? Do the controllers signal reach teh 360 ok?

My xbox360 is in my theater rack, and the controllers work to about 30' with no interference (walls) and a bit less with objects in the way. The 360 is distributed using my whole house video 12x8 matrix (extron) to all of the displays in my house.

I can play my 360 in:
- my theater (same room)
- rec-room (just outside theater)
- kitchen (directly above theater and rack)
- living room (directly above rec-room, but loses signal occasionally)

If somebody comes up with a range extension solution for the xbox360 controllers, PLEASE POST IT!!! I'd LOVE to be able to play gears of war in the master and guest bedrooms (on 42" ED plasmas) as well as have a steadier signal in the livingroom (42" HD plasma). Of course, the best place is the theater...
post #7 of 12 Old 03-07-2007, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

I actually searched for this thread for the reason noted by the above two posters - it's now time for my system to be installed and I'm actually thinking of pulling the XBOX 360 from the rack and just installing in the media room.

The reason? Only being able to control it for 30', which in my instance really only means two (maybe 3) rooms.

If anybody has found an extension for the signal, as the above poster stated, please share!!!!
post #8 of 12 Old 03-07-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post

If anybody has found an extension for the signal, as the above poster stated, please share!!!!

The best solution I've found so far involves USB->Cat5 extensions, and having a usb port near each "remote" display you want to play the xbox360 on and using a wired controller. I haven't tried it yet, but am very tempted to do so.

this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=812607

describes someone doing this using the wireless and play'n charge kits, but I think it's been determined that he's somehow still using wireless. I think the idea would work with a wired controller and a long (extended) usb connection.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-08-2007, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link - great reference. It sucks that MS won't open the protocol - what are they protecting?

Looks like I'll be leaving the 360 out of the rack.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-08-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I agree, it really is too bad. Mine's staying in the rack hooked up to the distribution system, even though I can't play in EVERY room (yet). It is nice to be able to play in other rooms.

Last week my wife was out of town on a business trip, so I was playing some GoW with a bunch of friends online, but with the theater being in the basement, I had to run upstairs to wait for a pizza to be delivered. I took my controller along, flipped on the 17" HD Lcd in the kitchen, and continued to play while waiting for dinner to arrive. Very cool!

What sucks, however, is that just 10 or so feet away, on the other side of the living room, which is adjacent to the kitchen, is a 42" HD panasonic plasma, that I have a very hard time playing the xbox on. the seating is outside of the stable range of the controller. I would love to be able to kick back in the living room and play a few games rather than having to use a small 17" screen (rec room and kitchen) or fire up the projector in the theater.

I may give the wired extension over cat5 a try. I just need to order the baluns. I've considered just wiring directly to a cat5 cable, but doubt that it will work for the distance I need to go. I don't know if I have an "extra" cat5 run to the living room though.

post #11 of 12 Old 03-25-2007, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

boykster:

I ended up putting mine in the rack. I can play in 3 locations, which is fine. No MBR, bu oh well.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Are you guys finding that you leave most of your outputs/locations on the same source? I thought I would be changing them frequently, but I have not. The only one I change much is switching between an Xbox with XBMC for movies and D* satellite in my boys room. The others stay on the same source 90% of the time.

BTW, it is not recommended but you can run yellow rca video through one of the component inputs and out to a SD TV if needed. The only drawback is if you change an hdtv to that source you get jumbled video. I have an SD Tivo hooked up and outputing to two SD Tvs.

I really need to upgrade all of my Tvs to HD to take full advantage of the AVAtrix.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page