Official Audio Authority AVAtrix Q&A Thread (AVX-661 and AVX-561) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 504 Old 01-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MurrayW,

Did you finally get everything setup the way you like it?

I am considering getting another 1176 to expand my output to 12. I still haven't found a great remote that can do everything I want for a good price. I have a Harmony 880 which works great, but is costly. I wish I could find a remote that would be easy for young kids to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 504 Old 01-06-2008, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMan1 View Post

MurrayW,

Did you finally get everything setup the way you like it?

I am considering getting another 1176 to expand my output to 12. I still haven't found a great remote that can do everything I want for a good price. I have a Harmony 880 which works great, but is costly. I wish I could find a remote that would be easy for young kids to use.

I don't think I will EVER have everything setup the way I like it! I am using Logitech Harmony 670 remotes and they seem to work fine...but then again, I don't use the remotes from a wall plate that often.

Sometimes I wonder why I decided I needed a matrix switcher. My youngest son recently went off to school so it is just me and my wife at home now...and she rarely watches TV and I almost always watch it in the same room! I guess sometimes I enjoy be ABLE to do it rather than NEEDING to do it!

I am not sure how "young" your kids are, but the complexity of the 670 should be similar to the 880.

Murray
post #273 of 504 Old 01-08-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapbreaker View Post

Well I'm sending my Xantech 291-80's back since I cannot get them to work with my Directv HR21. They are messing with the IR just enough that the HR21 doesn't seem to respond. I do have one channel vision IR-2105 that works pretty good from the bedroom wall plate but downstairs doesn't seem to work. THis IR stuff is driving me batty. I guess I will try the Niles lcd friendly receiver and see if I have better luck.

No luck with the Niles Ir receiver. It has the opposite problem. On initial startup of my Tv it works flawlessly but after the TV warms up the avatrix doesn't respond anymore. I'm absolutely at a loss for what to do.

The cables for the xantech receivers are too short to move far enough way from the tv to make any difference. I wonder if the wall plate is bad or the wiring isn't right except everything works after about 5 to 10 minutes of warm up time on the TV. Oh well.
post #274 of 504 Old 01-08-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapbreaker View Post

Well I'm sending my Xantech 291-80's back since I cannot get them to work with my Directv HR21. They are messing with the IR just enough that the HR21 doesn't seem to respond. I do have one channel vision IR-2105 that works pretty good from the bedroom wall plate but downstairs doesn't seem to work. THis IR stuff is driving me batty. I guess I will try the Niles lcd friendly receiver and see if I have better luck.

I know this might be to late , but try and put a piece of black electrical tape over the ir receiver on the H21. Poke a small hole in the tape where the ir receiver is and then place the emitter over the small pin hole.This has seemed to work to solve the ir problem that we have had with the new boxes.

IR control on the new D* boxes sucks it is too sensitive and gets flooded, so it either over powers it and it won't respond or you get multiple actions per 1 button push. Hopes this helps.
post #275 of 504 Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1trunkslammer View Post

I know this might be to late , but try and put a piece of black electrical tape over the ir receiver on the H21. Poke a small hole in the tape where the ir receiver is and then place the emitter over the small pin hole.This has seemed to work to solve the ir problem that we have had with the new boxes.

IR control on the new D* boxes sucks it is too sensitive and gets flooded, so it either over powers it and it won't respond or you get multiple actions per 1 button push. Hopes this helps.

I'll give it a try but I think I've already tried similar tactics. It's only one of my LCD Tv's that's giving me the trouble and they are all Vizio's so that's kind of weird. What I don't get is what if I had my Directv HR21 hooked up in the same room to this tv elimenating the avatrix? I assume I would be able to operate the DVR no problem so I don't get why IR receivers through the avatrix have trouble.

I'll monkey with the tape again. Thanks.
post #276 of 504 Old 01-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

What exactly is recommended that we use if we have plasmas or lcds? This unit is made for HD so it should be assumed that all the diplays will be either LCDs or plasmas. I ordered a 291-80 and then read that it didn't work for flapbreaker.
I have no idea which way to go with this. I have a plasma which for some reason is fine with dinky link. I have a projector which is fine of course. Then I have 3 LCDS all of which emit interference which not only prevents signals from that zone, but also prevents any signals from any zone.
post #277 of 504 Old 01-11-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:

What exactly is recommended that we use if we have plasmas or lcds? This unit is made for HD so it should be assumed that all the diplays will be either LCDs or plasmas. I ordered a 291-80 and then read that it didn't work for flapbreaker.
I have no idea which way to go with this. I have a plasma which for some reason is fine with dinky link. I have a projector which is fine of course. Then I have 3 LCDS all of which emit interference which not only prevents signals from that zone, but also prevents any signals from any zone.

RxMan1,

Give the 291-80 a try. It worked for all my components accept for the DirecTv HR-21. I tried the Niles TS-110 table top receiver and the weird thing with that was it worked during the LCD's warm up but not afterward. THis is opposite of what happens with the xantech. Right now I just wait for the TV to warm up and then I can control things. However, sometimes the Avatrix needs to be restarted before I can control things. Very frustrating indeed. I think the only real solution is going to be to somehow move the IR receiver to somewhere completely out of the way of the TV. Unfortunately the xantech receivers all have short cords so this might require cutting it? Unless there's some kind of extension for them. Let me know how the 291-80's work for you.
post #278 of 504 Old 01-11-2008, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am using Xantech dinky link 48085's (advertised as LCD/CFL proof receivers) on 2 different brands of LCD TV's mounted to the bottom of the frame without any problems for DirecTiVo HR10-250's. Flapbreaker, I still haven't forgotten to check these out on my HR20... hopefully this will be the weekend I actually move my HR20 into place to use the AVAtrix.

Have you tried the masking tape trick to try to reduce some of the extraneous IR? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post12419017
post #279 of 504 Old 01-12-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkseger View Post

Hi all,

I have a quick question and I don't even have my AVAtrix yet (see your PM Trent).

I have 3 wallplates right next to each other in the basement primarily for football season when I set up 3 TVs that control 3 DirecTV boxes.

Since the AVAtrix uses IR, how could I control the three boxes without changing all three?
My DTV boxes have RF capabilities, could I use an IR to RF converter?
IF so how would I accomplish that?

Any other suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!

John

John:

Did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same setup (3 TV's in a media room) and I have 5 HR20's in my rack + 1 Xbox (for XBMC). I have 3 wallplates in the media room that feed the 3 separate TV's.

Since there are 5 of the exact same sources in the rack, there is always the risk that IR leakage can occur and cause a channel change, cancellation of a recording, etc. on one of the other HR20's.

We've solved that problem in a very technical and complex way in the rack - Duct tape.

In the media room we use an MX-900 to control all sources and it's an RF (and IR) remote. The RF goes to one of the URC RF receivers (MX-300 I think) and then feeds into the IR distribution system of the AvAtrix.

Works flawlessly.

I'll be happy to share my MX-900 file with you if you choose to go that route.

FYI - I use MX-850's for every other room in the house. We only needed the MX-900 in the basement because of the complexity.

I haven't touched firmware since installation and the AvAtrix still works as hoped.
post #280 of 504 Old 01-12-2008, 09:11 AM

Murray, I did try the masking tape on the IR receiver and was hoping for a miracle. It didn't work. It took 2 or three layers but then I couldn't control anything. Weird that that works for some people. Your HR20 might work better than the HR21. I'm anxious to hear your report.
post #281 of 504 Old 01-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayW View Post

I am using Xantech dinky link 48085's (advertised as LCD/CFL proof receivers) on 2 different brands of LCD TV's mounted to the bottom of the frame without any problems for DirecTiVo HR10-250's. Flapbreaker, I still haven't forgotten to check these out on my HR20... hopefully this will be the weekend I actually move my HR20 into place to use the AVAtrix.

Have you tried the masking tape trick to try to reduce some of the extraneous IR? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post12419017

I used masking tape on one and it did make a difference. I was going to get the 48085s but smarthome has none in stock until 2/4/08. I'll give this bookshelf one a try with some masking tape when I receive it.

I just added another 1176 to my Avatrix so I now have 12 outputs. I am currently at 7 tvs. It does get costly when you think about adding a tv and having to add $200 for a wallplate and $100 for IR on top of the TV.
post #282 of 504 Old 01-12-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used masking tape on one and it did make a difference. I was going to get the 48085s but smarthome has none in stock until 2/4/08. I'll give this bookshelf one a try with some masking tape when I receive it.

I just added another 1176 to my Avatrix so I now have 12 outputs. I am currently at 7 tvs. It does get costly when you think about adding a tv and having to add $200 for a wallplate and $100 for IR on top of the TV.

I have made 3 separate purchases from http://www.garrett-smarthome.com and have been happy with the product and service. They appear to have the 48085's in stock for about $25 less than Smarthome.

Good luck.
Murray
post #283 of 504 Old 01-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

I found that very site looking on Froogle. I had some credit at SmartHome from other returned electronics escapades. That is quite a price difference though.

Quote:

I have made 3 separate purchases from http://www.garrett-smarthome.com and have been happy with the product and service. They appear to have the 48085's in stock for about $25 less than Smarthome.

Good luck.
Murray

post #284 of 504 Old 01-12-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I found that very site looking on Froogle. I had some credit at SmartHome from other returned electronics escapades. That is quite a price difference though.

Yeah, the price is what first drove me to them.
post #285 of 504 Old 01-12-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Yeah, the price is what first drove me to them.

I used garrett-smarthome for my dinky link IR receivers also with success. I ordered from them at the beginning of the week and always received the items by the end of the week.
post #286 of 504 Old 01-13-2008, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Follow up. I connected a 291-80 and after some adjustment it works fine with all components EXCEPT for the HR20-700 just like stated above. Commands get sent fine to Sony amp, htpc and even a HR10-250. But, not the HR20 which I have two of. Back to the drawing board I guess.

flapbreaker, Did you mess with the knob on the back of the 291-80 quite a bit?
post #287 of 504 Old 01-13-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Follow up. I connected a 291-80 and after some adjustment it works fine with all components EXCEPT for the HR20-700 just like stated above. Commands get sent fine to Sony amp, htpc and even a HR10-250. But, not the HR20 which I have two of. Back to the drawing board I guess.

flapbreaker, Did you mess with the knob on the back of the 291-80 quite a bit?

Yes I did. In fact I called Audio Authority tech support and they told me how I could confirm what frequency is being sent so I could dial the 291-80 in. Basically in the menu system there's an IR trouble shooting section that will report the frequency or rather the "period" (1/frequency) of the received signal. I used the HR21's remote with the non lcd ir receiver first to find what period. Then switched over to the 291-80 and dial in the same period using that screw adjustment. Still didn't work with the HR21. I have a xantech 480-85 on order just to see if that will work. Will report back on how that goes.
post #288 of 504 Old 01-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Let me know how it goes.

MurrayW, hook up the dang HR20-700 and run a test for us!!!
post #289 of 504 Old 01-13-2008, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let me know how it goes.

MurrayW, hook up the dang HR20-700 and run a test for us!!!

By Tuesday night...I promise!
post #290 of 504 Old 01-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

I recently picked up a Omnimount RSF rack and I would like to rackmount my AVATRIX. I browsed AA's site but didn't see a part number for rack ears. Anyone know the part number?
post #291 of 504 Old 01-14-2008, 05:47 PM

aa part #'s 1191 and 1192

Digital Convergence News Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #292 of 504 Old 01-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks.. Does anyone else find it strange that the stupid rack ears cost more than a replacement remote?
post #293 of 504 Old 01-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Don't let us down Murray!
post #294 of 504 Old 01-15-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't let us down Murray!

Wife is going out of town today, so it will just be me, the HR20 and the AVAtrix. You know your life is boring when that is your idea of having a "threesome" while your wife is away!

Murray
post #295 of 504 Old 01-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Good stuff!

I'll be sure to check back later to learn your results.
post #296 of 504 Old 01-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

I guess you went to the bar instead.
post #297 of 504 Old 01-16-2008, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess you went to the bar instead.

No, I was just too tired after my adventures with the HR20 and AVAtrix last night to get on here and post my results. I did move the HR20 into my equipment closet and hooked it up to the AVAtrix. Currently the only TV I have hooked up through the wall plates is in my son's room, so all my testing was done in there. His room is 10x10 or 12x12 (pretty small) and the TV with a dinky link 48085 IR receiver attached to the bottom of his Syntax Olevia LCD TV is on one wall of his room near one corner. I was about 6 ft away from the IR and used the standard DirecTV remote that came with my HR20. My AVAtrix is on whatever the newest firmware was as of 2 or 3 weeks ago.

When I pointed my remote directly at the IR sensor, I rarely got any response (the IR recevier was lighting up each time, so it was receiving the signal). For instance, if I pushed the channel up button, it might work once out of 20 times. I did eventually get into the menu system and the down arrow seemed to work about 70% of the time, but the up arrow did not work. I definitely could not use the HR20 with this performance.

I used the AVAtrix remote to rotate among the various sources and it worked every time without ever dropping an IR request. I also tried my standard DirecTiVo peanut remote with one of my HR10-250 sources and it responded to IR signals > 95% of the time...same as I have seen before that it will work almost all the time, but occaisionally misses something. Probably just a little bit worse than if I was pointing the remote directly at the unit.

Just before giving up for the night I decided to point the remote at the back wall of my son's bedroom (180 degrees from the TV/IR sensor). The HR20 responded. I kept pointing it at the back wall and got about the same >95% success rate that I see with my HR10-250. This wasn't real convenient, but at least it was working. Next I tried pointing it at the ceiling and again it worked well...basically if I did not point it directly at the IR sensor I got good results.

So with my limited testing and knowledge, it appears to me that the sensor is getting flooded with the IR signal from the remote if you point it directly at the remote. Maybe it is in the "receive" mode too long and is picking up both the direct IR signal and the bouncing IR signal if you point the remote directly at the receiver. I ran out of time, but want to try the masking tape method and try a universal remote instead of the stock HR20 remote to see if that makes any difference.

Trent, with so many of us having problems with the DirecTV HR20/21 is there any chance you guys can test this out at your facility to see what we can do to get this to work? I would guess that most of your AVAtrix customers who have DirecTV have this DVR or will soon have it as the HR10-250's get phased out.

I'll post the results of tonight's test later.

Murray
post #298 of 504 Old 01-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the update. I'm going to try a few things this morning as well.

You are correct about needing to get the HR20/21 figured out. I am fine now bc my son uses the hr10 primarily, but it will be replaced as soon as I get reliable IR signals.

Another way to test is to use the AVAtrix remote and attempt to switch sources. I was unable to do that either.
post #299 of 504 Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the update. I'm going to try a few things this morning as well.

You are correct about needing to get the HR20/21 figured out. I am fine now bc my son uses the hr10 primarily, but it will be replaced as soon as I get reliable IR signals.

Another way to test is to use the AVAtrix remote and attempt to switch sources. I was unable to do that either.

I have absolutely NO problems using the AVAtrix remote to switch sources. I moved back and forth between all of them last night maybe 20 or 30 times in a row without every missing a command. I also never have noticed a problem during normal watching using the AVAtrix remote to switch sources.

I spent a little time this morning on the web reading up on HR20/21 IR problems and it seems like a lot of people had to move their IR emitters 1 to 5 inches away from the HR20/21 IR window (these were people not using an AVAtrix but had an IR distribution system of some sort). I'll try that as well tonight. This may actually make some sense because I had a slingbox hooked up to my HR20 (until last night!) and I had to position the IR emitters from the slingbox out as far as they would reach (1 to 2 inches) from the HR20's IR window in order to get reliable results.

Murray
post #300 of 504 Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

I moved the ir emitter at the hr20 and it couldn't get any results. I moved it a few inches to a few feet away and got nothing.

The 291-80 has a dial on the back. When I get it at a setting where the hr10 works then nothing else works. If I put it back to the original setting and move it a few feet away then most things work. Of course I don't have a spot to permanently put an ir sensor a few feet away from a TV on the wall.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page