Official Audio Authority AVAtrix Q&A Thread (AVX-661 and AVX-561) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 504 Old 06-28-2008, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My AVAtrix 1166 just arrived so after getting it hooked up, I wanted to test the quality of the picutre to see if it made any difference between a direct connection and running through 50' of cable to a wall plate. I hooked up the DVD player to the component input on the AVAtrix and then sent it out directly to the TV and aslo out the CAT5 through a wall plate. I couldn't tell any major difference in picture quality which was great although I noticed that going from the AVAtrix to the TV was slightly better than going directly from the DVD player to the TV (does the AVAtrix do any video processing?). So, I had my wife come over to show her how great the AVAtrix was and within 10 seconds she had a headache and couldn't watch it. It wasn't a problem with a direct connection from the DVD player to the TV and it was worst when hooking up through the wall plate over 50' of CAT5.

This problem only occured with fast moving scenes (I was watching Star Wars III). Has anyone had this problem with the AVAtrix? I changed DVDs and the problem still showed up if there was any motion on the screen.

We have had the TV for years and she never had this problem before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 504 Old 06-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
.....so, as soon as you had her over she mentioned she was getting a headache. Was there first an indecent proposal involved that you've failed to mention?

Are Eleven Channels Really Enough?

post #363 of 504 Old 06-28-2008, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I transmit HD cable through the Avatrix and have not experienced the problem you mention. I'm guessing your TV is not a plasma or LCD. You might want to post more details.

Richard
post #364 of 504 Old 06-30-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post

I transmit HD cable through the Avatrix and have not experienced the problem you mention. I'm guessing your TV is not a plasma or LCD. You might want to post more details.

The first TV was a 50" sony rear projection (KDF-E50A10) and the other I tested with was a 36" Toshiba LCD. I've had both TVs for over 4-5 years. She noticed that the motion was worse on the 50" than on the 36".

We are building a new house and planning to move in soon. I am going to use the AVAtrix to distribute video through out the house and will be purchasing new TVs but this motion "headache" my wife gets is bothering me. Maybe if I got her a plasma it might not be as bad?.
post #365 of 504 Old 06-30-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

.....so, as soon as you had her over she mentioned she was getting a headache. Was there first an indecent proposal involved that you've failed to mention?

Funny - although with kids in the room watching Star Wars it wasn't much of a proposal.
post #366 of 504 Old 06-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

I have never heard of anyone having problems. I have my AVAtrix connected to 6 LCDS, 1 Plasma and a 104" projector in a theater. I've had dozens of people watching all of the different displays and never heard anyone complain. My wife and kids have never had a problem.
post #367 of 504 Old 07-18-2008, 02:30 PM

For those of you that have installed the avatrix AVX-561-NR. Since this routes the digital or analog audio to the wall plate, what type/brand/model of audio decoder do you run to route audio to your speakers? Do any of you put the audio processor in the main equipment center and have the speaker wire go to the main equipment center so all you would have in the viewing room would be the TV, IR receiver, and remote?
post #368 of 504 Old 07-18-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmonahan View Post

For those of you that have installed the avatrix AVX-561-NR. Since this routes the digital or analog audio to the wall plate, what type/brand/model of audio decoder do you run to route audio to your speakers? Do any of you put the audio processor in the main equipment center and have the speaker wire go to the main equipment center so all you would have in the viewing room would be the TV, IR receiver, and remote?

I would suspect that most people would have their AVR of choice in that room.

I am actually doing the prep work this weekend to do have all of my equipment in my bonus room (which is now a climate controlled server room) so only my TV speakers, etc are going to be in my living room. Can't tell you how well or not well this works as I haven't even ordered my AVAtrix yet, but I spoke with one of their authorized internet dealers and he said he had done it successfully (using RF to control the receiver).
post #369 of 504 Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 AM

I was browsing on the Audio authority web site and came across the AVAtrix 2.0. It sure is smaller and better looking than the original. Everything including the 1176 and IR Router are built into it. I have the original so I guess Iam little bias to liking how modular it was so if something goes wrong I only have to replace that piece. I was wondering what everyone's first impressions of it are?

I see the new 2.6 firmware has been released also:

Improvements:
* Adds parental controls
* Improves IR processing
* New PC utility interface
post #370 of 504 Old 09-06-2008, 11:09 AM

Liked: 11
Sorry to jump in late on an old issue but was there ever an official fix to the IR problem with the DirecTv receivers? A specific Xantech IR receiver with specific emitters? I wish I had read this thread before hand
post #371 of 504 Old 09-06-2008, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmoooth1414 View Post

Sorry to jump in late on an old issue but was there ever an official fix to the IR problem with the DirecTv receivers? A specific Xantech IR receiver with specific emitters? I wish I had read this thread before hand

Take a look around the middle of January in this thread. I ended up having to put my emitters about 2 " from the IR eye of the HR21.
post #372 of 504 Old 09-11-2008, 03:18 AM

Hi All,

I have an Avatrix, but I use RTI remotes via RF to control my equipment. At the moment I am relying on line of sight IR to control the TV on/off, but I am implementing a wall mounted remote control and can no longer rely on line of sight this.

I was wondering whether I could use the Avatrix's IR routing in reverse as follows:

A wall mounted RTI panel sends RF signals to the RTI box. RTI box emits TV on/off IR signal to the Avatrix IR router which then passes the IR signal to the AVAtrix wallplate which has an IR emitter plugged into it which passes the signal to the TV.

So in effect I have have an IR emitter plugged into where the IR receiver normally goes and a receiver at the other end where the emitter normally goes.

It would be very nice if it would work because if the principle works in reverse, the IR codes would only ever be sent to the wallplate that the Avatrix was routing to.

I might be dreaming here, but it would be nice if I could make it work...

Cheers

Jon
post #373 of 504 Old 09-11-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jposborne View Post

Hi All,

I have an Avatrix, but I use RTI remotes via RF to control my equipment. At the moment I am relying on line of sight IR to control the TV on/off, but I am implementing a wall mounted remote control and can no longer rely on line of sight this.

I was wondering whether I could use the Avatrix's IR routing in reverse as follows:

A wall mounted RTI panel sends RF signals to the RTI box. RTI box emits TV on/off IR signal to the Avatrix IR router which then passes the IR signal to the AVAtrix wallplate which has an IR emitter plugged into it which passes the signal to the TV.

So in effect I have have an IR emitter plugged into where the IR receiver normally goes and a receiver at the other end where the emitter normally goes.

It would be very nice if it would work because if the principle works in reverse, the IR codes would only ever be sent to the wallplate that the Avatrix was routing to.

I might be dreaming here, but it would be nice if I could make it work...

Cheers

Jon

Take a look at the Avatrix IR Injecter Model 1109. I think it does what you want.

Chris.
post #374 of 504 Old 09-11-2008, 08:41 AM

Here are some Q&A questions I received from the the Avatrix 2.0 product announcement:

Q: Will Audio Authority be discontinuing the AVX-561 and AVX-661?
A: The AVX-562 is a direct replacement for the AVX-561 which will be discontinued. The AVX-661 with its DVI capabilities will continue to be offered at present.

Q: I like the new parental control features of the 2.6 Firmware for the AVX-562. Will it work for the AVX-561 and AVX-661?
A: Yes. 2.6 firmware is available at http://www.audioauthority.com/page/software, and is fully compatible with the AVX-561 and AVX-661 systems already in the field.

Q: How do I expand the AVX-562 if all the outputs are in one chassis?
A: The AVX-562 will be expandable up to 36 outputs in the same way as the AVX-561/661. While the first six outputs are contained in the main chassis, outputs 7-36 are supported by adding 1176BK Cat 5 Routers via the supplied Bus Cable.

Q: Will the 1172, 1176, and other AVAtrix line products be available in black as well?
A: Yes. The entire AVAtrix line is being revised to the new black color.

Q: Will silver colored AVX-562 systems be available? What about silver products for supporting and expanding existing AVX-561/661 systems?
A: No. Due to overwhelming dealer preference for black, the AVX-562 will not be available in silver or any other color. Audio Authority will have a limited quantity of silver stock available for a short time, in order to support service exchanges and system expansion for existing installations.

Q: Are Cat 5 Wallplates included with the AVX-562?
A: No. At the time an order is placed, a dealer may choose between the three Cat 5 Receiver models (9878, 9879, 9880) in the quantities appropriate for each unique installation. Cat 5 Receivers have an MSRP between $200 and $220, with dealer discounts available.
post #375 of 504 Old 09-12-2008, 01:21 PM

I just saw a Audio Authority 1166 6x1 Switcher on eBay for a $1000 with a Buy It Now Option for $1199 - is that a good deal? Or is that overpriced?

Just wondering.

Thanks.
post #376 of 504 Old 09-15-2008, 07:31 AM

Just a point to consider...Audio Authority does not offer warranty protection on purchases made from Ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreggman View Post

I just saw a Audio Authority 1166 6x1 Switcher on eBay for a $1000 with a Buy It Now Option for $1199 - is that a good deal? Or is that overpriced?

Just wondering.

Thanks.

post #377 of 504 Old 09-15-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreggman View Post

Just wondering.

Thanks.

Seems overpriced to me for buying used and from a seller with not so great feedback.
post #378 of 504 Old 10-17-2008, 03:16 PM

Has anyone been able to setup the slingbox player to an output on the Avatrix to have a choice on multiple sources. I know I can have it set to the cable box source and send the IR through the wall plate but what about changing the source and see other inputs like a DVD Juke or HTPC and controlling them.

My setup is Avatrix with 6 outputs and 2 inputs. I control all the devices with a Pronto 3500 remote.
post #379 of 504 Old 10-17-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie54 View Post

Has anyone been able to setup the slingbox player to an output on the Avatrix to have a choice on multiple sources. I know I can have it set to the cable box source and send the IR through the wall plate but what about changing the source and see other inputs like a DVD Juke or HTPC and controlling them.

My setup is Avatrix with 6 outputs and 2 inputs. I control all the devices with a Pronto 3500 remote.

The slingbox output is just a passthrough from your sources that are hooked up to the slingbox. I have one of my DirecTV HD DVR's hooked up to a Slingbox Pro and the component output from the Slingbox Pro goes to one of my sources of my AVAtrix.

Are you saying that you would like to be watching video from your slingbox on your HTPC via the slingplayer software and then have the HTPC going to one of the inputs of the AVAtrix? I suppose you could do that, but it would be lower quality than what you would get by connecting your slingbox output directly to the Avatrix. If you only have 2 sources filled up right now, I am not sure why you would consider something like this. Am I misunderstanding what you want to do?

Murray
post #380 of 504 Old 10-17-2008, 10:25 PM

I was thinking I could use the Slingbox on a wall plate so I could see any source from the slingbox remotly. This should work but I wonder if Slingbox allows you to send any learned IR codes to the IR output to the wall plate. I think that would be my only limitation. In my testing of slingbox it only allowed me to choose the cable box or dvd remote but haven't figured out if I can easily learn codes in the slingbox to change the sources on avatrix at the wallplate
post #381 of 504 Old 12-01-2008, 12:01 PM

I installed my AVX-562 this past weekend and I'm having trouble getting any output from one of the 9880 receivers. My other zones work fine, and I've tried swapping out receivers, cables, TVs, and zone outputs but nothing works in that room so I'm assuming one or both of my cables is bad.

I've been using an Ideal LinkMaster from Home Depot to test my cables and it has passed the cables in question twice. I think it only tests continuity but in doing so it also ensures the pinout is correct.

The manual says this:
Professional network cable testercontinuity testing is not adequate for Cat 5 cables-twisted pairs must be properly matched for balanced line performance, so a tester capable of confirming pairs is required.

Can someone elaborate on what "confirming pairs" means? What specific test do I need to run and what equipment do I need to do it?
post #382 of 504 Old 12-01-2008, 02:34 PM

was looking to order AVX-562 tonight, cat5e cable on the way. then looking through the manual, i also saw the notes on testing for balanced line transmission, where can i get device to test this? all i can find after hours of looking is to ensure cables are same length, thickness, same route etc. any ideas before slashing out.
post #383 of 504 Old 12-01-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinateflea View Post

was looking to order AVX-562 tonight, cat5e cable on the way. then looking through the manual, i also saw the notes on testing for balanced line transmission, where can i get device to test this? all i can find after hours of looking is to ensure cables are same length, thickness, same route etc. any ideas before slashing out.

What it means by "confirming pairs" is that the A cable connected to the AVAtrix must be connected to the A input on the wallplate and the B to the B. It basically just means to make sure you know which cable is which so you don't plug an A into a B or vice versa. I didn't have a tester. My AVATrix is located in a central equipment closet with my router, so I just plugged one end of a cable into the router and had a laptop on the wall plate and checked for an internet connection to identify which cable was which.

Murray
post #384 of 504 Old 12-02-2008, 08:02 AM

Confirming pairs means that the pairs inside the CAT-5 cable must be lined up a certain way in the RJ-45 connector. For this system, they should be pinned at EIA 568A or EIA 568B. Otherwise, you will get many symptoms including no video, no audio, noisy video etc... You need a tester that verifies that the correct pairs are in the correct place, not just end to end continuity. Your tester should also verify that there are no shorts or opens. It is also important to verify that cable A is plugged into A on the 562 and the wallplate and the same for cable B. If these get swapped it can damage the plate or 562.

After you have verified that all of these items are correct, go to the front of the AVAtrix and select "all" zones to a source that you know is playing correctly. This will rule out an incorrect selection on that zone, a very common problem.
post #385 of 504 Old 12-02-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coasterjunkie View Post

Confirming pairs means that the pairs inside the CAT-5 cable must be lined up a certain way in the RJ-45 connector. For this system, they should be pinned at EIA 568A or EIA 568B. Otherwise, you will get many symptoms including no video, no audio, noisy video etc... You need a tester that verifies that the correct pairs are in the correct place, not just end to end continuity. Your tester should also verify that there are no shorts or opens. It is also important to verify that cable A is plugged into A on the 562 and the wallplate and the same for cable B. If these get swapped it can damage the plate or 562.

After you have verified that all of these items are correct, go to the front of the AVAtrix and select "all" zones to a source that you know is playing correctly. This will rule out an incorrect selection on that zone, a very common problem.

I installed all my connectors as 568B and made sure to get the A and B cables right. My tester does exactly what you mentioned and it passes the cables every time. I also made sure that an active source was on the zone.

I suspect that I might have some kind of intermittent problem since the alignment of my crimper seems to be a little off. I say that because sometimes one of the pins gets bent off to the side rather than being pushed down into the wire. I also just switched to the RJ45 connectors from Monoprice so hopefully the issue is not the connector tolerances being off. I think I will get a new crimper and try re-terminating all four ends with different connectors.
post #386 of 504 Old 12-02-2008, 10:22 AM

Thanks for your help, seems straightforward enough. On looking at the spec for 562, was thinking of just opting for the 661 with DVI connections as HDMI inputs would need to be converted to analogue component before being distributed around the system, conversion boxes are about 6 x £155 or about $1500, a lot of bucks and for what? a smaller unit? any ideas would be appreciated.
Has anyone set used this in the uk?
post #387 of 504 Old 12-02-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your help, seems straightforward enough. On looking at the spec for 562, was thinking of just opting for the 661 with DVI connections as HDMI inputs would need to be converted to analogue component before being distributed around the system, conversion boxes are about 6 x £155 or about $1500, a lot of bucks and for what? a smaller unit? any ideas would be appreciated.
Has anyone set used this in the uk?

You can't distribute DVI to remote locations only to the local location. Also, the unit will not convert DVI to component, so for remote locations you need to use component. So in my opinion, the extra money for the DVI unit is not really worth it (you would need to make sure all your sources could output both component and DVI at the same time). That being said, when I bought mine, they only had the DVI models, so I ended up paying more and not using the DVI.

Murray
post #388 of 504 Old 12-02-2008, 10:50 AM

trouble is all, well most of my equiptment is hdmi out, hdmi to component is expensive.
post #389 of 504 Old 12-02-2008, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

trouble is all, well most of my equiptment is hdmi out, hdmi to component is expensive.

If all your equipment is hdmi and can't simulataneously output component, then the AVAtrix won't work for you.
post #390 of 504 Old 12-02-2008, 11:17 AM

i think its ok with hdmi to component convertors, but they cost £155 each
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page