Official Audio Authority AVAtrix Q&A Thread (AVX-661 and AVX-561) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 504 Old 01-24-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Hi Warren,

If you think the lockups may be due to MLServer, start recording your AVATRIX and MLServer logs and send them our way. That will help pinpoint any issues. We haven't heard of any issues with the AVATRIX as far as I know as Murray mentioned. So perhaps it is something else causing you grief.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 504 Old 01-24-2009, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mario,

I appreciate that. I suspect it is something else causing the computer to lockup. It's just the fact that it does right when my wife is trying to use it. I'm still happy with Mainlobby!

W
post #453 of 504 Old 01-24-2009, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by english_1969 View Post

Mario,

I appreciate that. I suspect it is something else causing the computer to lockup. It's just the fact that it does right when my wife is trying to use it. I'm still happy with Mainlobby!

W

Isn't that always the case with any electronics?

Just wanted to clarify that it's not MLServer / MainLobby that's causing your problems.
post #454 of 504 Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasterjunkie View Post

1. That's right, the 1109 was originally intended for Control4 systems but can be used with any system to send IR to the zones. However, you would be turning it around backwards and using it to inject IR into the 1176 instead. This has become such a common application when using RF, we are putting together a package with the 1109 and all cables necessary to connect it this way.

...after spending countless hours trying to solve why this setup wasn't working at all, I want to add some clarification to the "turning it around backwards" phrase, above. One has to literally wire in the 1109 backwards, that is, with the wallplates cat5 cables coming into the side of the 1109 labeled "Head End", and the head end cat5 cables coming into the side labeled "Wall Plates". I originally took this statement "turn it around backwards" conceptually as if figuratively speaking, which is not the case. It must be wired backwards literally.

Are Eleven Channels Really Enough?

post #455 of 504 Old 06-06-2009, 07:19 PM

Hi, I was hoping you could give me advice on a problem that is absolutely driving me crazy with an AVATRIX system I installed a couple of days ago. This is my first time installing this system and I'll try to be as detailed as possible.

I installed an AVM-562 with 2 expansion units (1176) for a restaurant. The restaurant hired an electrician to run 2 pairs of cat6 belden media twist to 18 different locations where we hung 18 LCD TVs. I terminated and tested all cables to make sure there would be no problems. The 6 sources connected are 4 DirecTV H21s and 2 Time Warner HD set top boxes manufactured by Samsung. I wired everything up and tested it out and at first all 18 TVs appeared to work properly. However after about an hour of operation I noticed 3 of the 18 TVs developed a problem. No matter which source was directed to the 3 TVs, the picture would intermittently black out. It is a quick flash. I'd say half a second, The picture will be fine for say another 30 seconds and then it would black out again, then come on for another 5 seconds and repeat the cycle. It occurs at completely random frequencies. Here is a list of things I did to troubleshoot:

Swapped the balun for a known good balun.
Swapped the component video cables at the tv set.
Plugged the tv into an outlet of an unaffected tv.
Swapped the output on the back of the AVM-562 to a known good output.
Swapped cat6 cable A with cat6 cable B (not cross output A into B).
Cable length is less than 100'. Adjusted dial on balun from 0 to 1 just in case. Set back to 0.

None of the above solved the problem.

One of the unaffected TVs was in range of an affected one, so I unplugged the component video cables from the back of the good set and plugged them into the suspect set. The picture still flashed at random.

After all this testing I would believe the TV is defective but then what are the chances of 3 becoming defective at once? Prior to installing this system, these TVs were connected via co-ax cable and worked fine.

All TVs are 37" Toshibas. However this job was done over a period of time. The first half of the TVs we delivered and installed were 37av502u. The second half installed were 37av502r. Then we installed the matrix. The 3 problem TVs are 37av502r.

I've been searching the web for days for anyone with a similar problem and have been unsuccessful.

I didn't check to see if the cable lines and satellite lines are properly grounded. Could that be a cause of the problem?

I did notice if I changed the output resolution of the DirecTV receiver and set top box to 480i, the TVs didn't flash. On 720p and 1080i they did flash.

I also noticed that on 4/29/09 Toshiba came out with a firmware update for the 37av502r but it's only described to "fix audio muting issues with certain channels from certain cable providers".

I'll be heading back to the restaurant in a few days and was hoping it is something I might be able to fix before having the TVs serviced by Toshiba.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Dan
post #456 of 504 Old 06-06-2009, 08:16 PM

Dan, I also have the AVX-562 and I see the problem you describe fairly regularly with a Philips 42PFL7403D/27. I don't think I've seen any of my six other sets do it. To me, it's just a minor annoyance since it happens so briefly, so I never even got around to troubleshooting it and I'm still not 100% sure it has anything to do with the AVAtrix.

It sounds like some TVs are more sensitive to slightly unclean signals than others, and occasionally lose sync because of it. Have you tried bypassing the AVAtrix altogether and connecting the TV directly to the satellite receiver? If you don't see the problem then, it would probably be a waste of time and money to send the sets in for repair, because they will almost certainly come back with "no problem found".

If you can't live with the problem, you may have to just use different TVs. Please let me know what you find out.
post #457 of 504 Old 06-06-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman2go View Post

No matter which source was directed to the 3 TVs, the picture would intermittently black out. It is a quick flash. I'd say half a second, The picture will be fine for say another 30 seconds and then it would black out again, then come on for another 5 seconds and repeat the cycle.

I re-read your post and realized that your problem is worse than mine. I only see the quick flash maybe every half hour or so, on average.
post #458 of 504 Old 06-08-2009, 06:53 AM

Dan,

jtmccabe is correct that you should try connecting the TV's directly. There was an issue with Sony last year where their sync detection chips were trying to sync on high frequency noise that many HD sources seem to output. A firmware update fixed this...it's possible that your Toshiba's are affected by a similar issue.

If it does not happen directly connected, then it's possible that you are overdriving the TV inputs. Some TV's are very finicky when it comes to input specs. Since each click on the AVAtrix compensation dial is compensating for up to 100 feet in length, it is possible that since your runs are under 100 feet that they are being overdriven. Try to barrel connect another 25 or 50 feet of cable onto the runs (at least cable B) and see if that fixes the issue.

You can also give me a call at 800-322-8346.

Jason
post #459 of 504 Old 06-14-2009, 01:30 PM

I am looking for a cat5 matrix switch which will allow up to 8 sources and 9 outputs that can run component and audio over a single cat5 cable. DO you manufacture such a device?

Thanks
post #460 of 504 Old 06-15-2009, 05:42 AM

I've been reading through much of this thread because I am considering installing a AVAtrix AVM-562 for my house. However I get the impression that these products seem to have more than their share of problems. Is this accurate, or are the issues seen here typical of this category of product?
post #461 of 504 Old 06-15-2009, 09:10 AM

Our AVAtrix has a maximum input capacity of 6, but can be expaned to up to 36 outputs. It requires 2 CAT-5 cables, but later this month we are releasing an adapter to pass component video and digital audio over a single CAT-5 cable.

Jason
post #462 of 504 Old 06-15-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philler View Post

I've been reading through much of this thread because I am considering installing a AVAtrix AVM-562 for my house. However I get the impression that these products seem to have more than their share of problems. Is this accurate, or are the issues seen here typical of this category of product?

The AVAtrix has had its share growing pains, but it is now 4 years old and extremely stable.

Jason
post #463 of 504 Old 06-16-2009, 04:28 PM

Hey Folks,
I've a owner of a Avatrix 562. I've been trying to get my IR receivers workign for some time now and I'm still struggling. I first ordered some Xantach recievers and they are working fine in a couple of rooms of my house. My living room however has alot of natural light and a 52" LG LCD and the Xantech IR reciever was flooding the system. Front panel controls on the Avatrix were locking up etc. I then ordered a couple of Audioplex Plasma proof IR recievers and I'm having my own set of problems with them. Bascially they are working fine for 1-2 hours and then the red "activity" light come on teh receiver and it locks up. Unlike the Xantechs, it doesn't effect the box but it does lock up all local actions. If I unplug the receiver from the wall plate and then plug it back in, it works fine for another 1-2 hours.

Has anyone come across something like this before? I have a email out to Audioplex and they are looking into it. They told me that these were actually tested with a Avatrix and worked fine.

Any advise would help.
Cheers!
post #464 of 504 Old 06-17-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Hi, I was hoping you could give me advice on a problem that is absolutely driving me crazy with an AVATRIX system I installed a couple of days ago. This is my first time installing this system and I'll try to be as detailed as possible.

Dan, are the three TVs all connected to the same 1176bk expansion unit?

I've installed many of these systems and have yet to have a defective 562/561/661 or 1176, but I would not rule it out. Also, check the integrity of the system bus cable and connectors.

As far as ground loops, sure, it can happen especially with large(r) installations, but I haven't seen such.

Digital Convergence News Blog: http://www.copperbox.net
post #465 of 504 Old 06-17-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesi View Post

Hey Folks,
Has anyone come across something like this before? I have a email out to Audioplex and they are looking into it. They told me that these were actually tested with a Avatrix and worked fine.

Any advise would help.
Cheers!

I've only ever used Xantech IR receivers with success -- there are lesser expensive ones, but I'd suggest using all Xantech. Audio Authority had in the past suggested Xantech as well.

Someone (perhaps here) had suggested blue painter's tape on the ir bezels to mask ambient light more. Try that and see before you swap receivers out.

Digital Convergence News Blog: http://www.copperbox.net
post #466 of 504 Old 06-25-2009, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Hi, I was hoping you could give me advice on a problem that is absolutely driving me crazy with an AVATRIX system I installed a couple of days ago.

I'm not very technical so I can't say for sure that this is your problem but I had very similar issues with an Escient Fireball and a Panasonic plasma. It seemed to cut out (screen went blank and tv said "no signal") especially during bright scenes. It only happened with this source and this TV. Other sources and other tv's were fine.

Escient Suggested a Kramer Video Clamper (VM 37) between the Escient and the AVATRIX and it completely fixed the issue. The clamper "corrects the video blanking level or sync tips by clamping them to a predefined DC level". I have no idea what that means but it fixed my problem.
post #467 of 504 Old 07-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Dan,

did you get your issue fixed?

I had the infamous "black picture" problem on a few displays when I first installed my system. Some would go blank whenever it received IR in, some would go blank on bright scenes, etc...

I was able to fix all of the blanking-out issues by playing with the distance potentiometer on the wall plate. When I first installed the system, I didn't bother setting them. Worse, I had no idea how much cat5 I had actually run to each room (I had just connected a dual-trand of cat5 to an old RG6 cable in each room, and started pulling....).

a few minutes with a small screwdriver fixed my issues in every room. Hopefully this will help others in this thread.

Quote:

I installed an AVM-562 with 2 expansion units (1176) for a restaurant. The restaurant hired an electrician to run 2 pairs of cat6 belden media twist to 18 different locations where we hung 18 LCD TVs. I terminated and tested all cables to make sure there would be no problems. The 6 sources connected are 4 DirecTV H21s and 2 Time Warner HD set top boxes manufactured by Samsung. I wired everything up and tested it out and at first all 18 TVs appeared to work properly. However after about an hour of operation I noticed 3 of the 18 TVs developed a problem. No matter which source was directed to the 3 TVs, the picture would intermittently black out. It is a quick flash. I'd say half a second, The picture will be fine for say another 30 seconds and then it would black out again, then come on for another 5 seconds and repeat the cycle. It occurs at completely random frequencies. Here is a list of things I did to troubleshoot:

Swapped the balun for a known good balun.
Swapped the component video cables at the tv set.
Plugged the tv into an outlet of an unaffected tv.
Swapped the output on the back of the AVM-562 to a known good output.
Swapped cat6 cable A with cat6 cable B (not cross output A into B).
Cable length is less than 100'. Adjusted dial on balun from 0 to 1 just in case. Set back to 0.

None of the above solved the problem.

One of the unaffected TVs was in range of an affected one, so I unplugged the component video cables from the back of the good set and plugged them into the suspect set. The picture still flashed at random.

After all this testing I would believe the TV is defective but then what are the chances of 3 becoming defective at once? Prior to installing this system, these TVs were connected via co-ax cable and worked fine.

All TVs are 37" Toshibas. However this job was done over a period of time. The first half of the TVs we delivered and installed were 37av502u. The second half installed were 37av502r. Then we installed the matrix. The 3 problem TVs are 37av502r.

I've been searching the web for days for anyone with a similar problem and have been unsuccessful.

I didn't check to see if the cable lines and satellite lines are properly grounded. Could that be a cause of the problem?

I did notice if I changed the output resolution of the DirecTV receiver and set top box to 480i, the TVs didn't flash. On 720p and 1080i they did flash.

I also noticed that on 4/29/09 Toshiba came out with a firmware update for the 37av502r but it's only described to "fix audio muting issues with certain channels from certain cable providers".

I'll be heading back to the restaurant in a few days and was hoping it is something I might be able to fix before having the TVs serviced by Toshiba.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Dan

post #468 of 504 Old 08-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Some interesting issues. Haven't contacted support yet as I have a day job and I'm not home to troubleshoot when they're open. Until recently, all but one tv were working fine - a small tv connected in the bathroom would receive video but no (analog) audio (only connection available to the tv). Now, in my master bedroom, I've got no picture coming through, but audio (digital) is perfect!!! I will try playing around with the distance selector on the bedroom setup but it has worked fine for nearly 2 years as is, so I'm not holding out hope!!! As to the bathroom issue - I have no idea why audio isn't coming through but hoping someone has an idea.

If anyone's got other suggestions on this, please let me know.
post #469 of 504 Old 08-20-2009, 06:17 AM

As for the audio problem...do you have analog and digital connected from your sources? If you don't connect analog from your source, you won't get it out of the wallplate. If you do, then you need to test your CAT-5 cable with a cable tester that verifies pinout...not just continuity. The cables need to be terminated as 568A or 568B pairings. You can also move the 2 cables to another port on the rear of the 1176 that is known to have analog audio. If it still doesn't work, then it is either the TV or the wallplate.

As for the video problem, if it has been working for 2 years with no changes, then the cable compensation won't fix the problem. Again, you can test your cables to that zone, try moving the cables to another known working port on the 1176 and see if it works then. If not, it is likely the wallplate.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

Some interesting issues. Haven't contacted support yet as I have a day job and I'm not home to troubleshoot when they're open. Until recently, all but one tv were working fine - a small tv connected in the bathroom would receive video but no (analog) audio (only connection available to the tv). Now, in my master bedroom, I've got no picture coming through, but audio (digital) is perfect!!! I will try playing around with the distance selector on the bedroom setup but it has worked fine for nearly 2 years as is, so I'm not holding out hope!!! As to the bathroom issue - I have no idea why audio isn't coming through but hoping someone has an idea.

If anyone's got other suggestions on this, please let me know.

post #470 of 504 Old 08-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'll try those as soon as I have a moment tonight or tomorrow.

Yes, I have analog audio connected as well as the digital audio.

The cat6 wiring was tested at installation with cable testers, but it sounds like something may have happened in the past 2 years - I'll retest the cables as suggested with the tester as well as on different ports on the 1176. I'm really hoping it's the wall plates, as it's a 2 story and the wiring in question runs from 1st to 2nd - it would be a nightmare to rewire (can't even use as pulls because the builder's wire guy stapled all the wires to the studs).
post #471 of 504 Old 08-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
...I presume you have tried the simple step of disconnecting the power from your Avatrix momentarily to create an internal reboot? Also, try jiggling and reseating the appropriate cat-5 plug connections at all points along the defective pathways, including inside the remote wall stations.

Are Eleven Channels Really Enough?

post #472 of 504 Old 08-20-2009, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

I'll try those as soon as I have a moment tonight or tomorrow.

Yes, I have analog audio connected as well as the digital audio.

The cat6 wiring was tested at installation with cable testers, but it sounds like something may have happened in the past 2 years - I'll retest the cables as suggested with the tester as well as on different ports on the 1176. I'm really hoping it's the wall plates, as it's a 2 story and the wiring in question runs from 1st to 2nd - it would be a nightmare to rewire (can't even use as pulls because the builder's wire guy stapled all the wires to the studs).

I definitely would follow the trouble-shooting procedures suggested in the last few posts to try to isolate it to a bad cable, bad wall plate or hopefully not, bad AVAtrix. I had some problems with digitial audio and it turned out to be a problem with the AVAtrix. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post12395941

Good luck!
Murray
post #473 of 504 Old 09-17-2009, 04:40 PM

Hi Guys,

I purchased the avatrix almost 2 years ago, and finally installed once my new home was completed last june. I started with 3 TVs connected to an Avatrix 1166 with 2 expanders 1176 giving me 6 in 12 out; using the 9878 wall plates.

I run 95% of the time at 1080i. Initially the first 2 TVs - a Sony KDL 52x2000 and a Samsung 32" drove me banannas with Black out flickering. happening mainly when the picutre had a lot of Bright white colours - and very annoying.

I tried using 240v transformers instead of the suppled 110v transformes but this just sent the system banannas; and i was getting very worried.

I applied a power filter to the 110v supply, and went back to the supplied transformes, but there was no change - issues still kept happening. so i swaped tv's, ran new CAT cables, and even changed the 9878 plates to different locations.

I finally stripped the whole environment, and added new firmware - 1.7 at the time, with 1 router, 1 expander, 1 source and 1 wall plate = perfect experience
I then added a seconed source - second tv - still perfect.
moved on - added more sources - still perfect
added 2 more tvs - still perfect.

next i hooked up the second expander - BOOM! issues back
I removed the power from the seconed extender - SOLID Pictures

Swapped the second extender to replace the primary extender - still perfect

add back the other extended - as second this time - BOOM! issues back.

remove the power on the second extender - SOLID Pictures again

i have since updated the firmware a few times and am running current version.

but I can NOT power up the second extender without killing my experience.

I have no 6 TVs and just about to add 2 more - so pressure is finally hitting.
Can some one help me, as i have spoken to Avatrix Support, and they are firendly, but i still have the issues.

starting to strees
Damian
post #474 of 504 Old 09-17-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian.flynn View Post

Hi Guys,

I purchased the avatrix almost 2 years ago, and finally installed once my new home was completed last june. I started with 3 TVs connected to an Avatrix 1166 with 2 expanders 1176 giving me 6 in 12 out; using the 9878 wall plates.

I run 95% of the time at 1080i. Initially the first 2 TVs - a Sony KDL 52x2000 and a Samsung 32" drove me banannas with Black out flickering. happening mainly when the picutre had a lot of Bright white colours - and very annoying.

I tried using 240v transformers instead of the suppled 110v transformes but this just sent the system banannas; and i was getting very worried.

I applied a power filter to the 110v supply, and went back to the supplied transformes, but there was no change - issues still kept happening. so i swaped tv's, ran new CAT cables, and even changed the 9878 plates to different locations.

I finally stripped the whole environment, and added new firmware - 1.7 at the time, with 1 router, 1 expander, 1 source and 1 wall plate = perfect experience
I then added a seconed source - second tv - still perfect.
moved on - added more sources - still perfect
added 2 more tvs - still perfect.

next i hooked up the second expander - BOOM! issues back
I removed the power from the seconed extender - SOLID Pictures

Swapped the second extender to replace the primary extender - still perfect

add back the other extended - as second this time - BOOM! issues back.

remove the power on the second extender - SOLID Pictures again

i have since updated the firmware a few times and am running current version.

but I can NOT power up the second extender without killing my experience.

I have no 6 TVs and just about to add 2 more - so pressure is finally hitting.
Can some one help me, as i have spoken to Avatrix Support, and they are firendly, but i still have the issues.

starting to strees
Damian

I don't have a 2nd expander, but I am assuming they connect by the same type of flat cable that is used for base model. Is it possible that you have a bad cable or it is not seated correctly? I remember I had a hard time getting my cable connected in the tight space with my big hands.

Good luck!

Murray
post #475 of 504 Old 12-11-2009, 09:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian.flynn View Post

I can NOT power up the second extender without killing my experience.

Hope you have solved this problem. I just added my second expander and all is well. I was told to be sure the second expander went on the end of the ribbon cable. Tech Support is quite accessible and helpful.

Richard

Richard
post #476 of 504 Old 01-11-2010, 12:17 PM

Ok - need the collective wisdom of the forum. I'm stumped.
After several other issues (thanks Jason for the tip on adding line to the run, that helped tremendously), I've managed to get the entire system working perfectly other than between the hours of 0930 - 1530 every day. Yeah, it sounds like a power issue to me too. So I installed a clean power device (Monster HDP 1800 High Definition PowerCenter) in an attempt to eliminate power noise. I installed the Clean Power machine at the rack. All sources and the avatrix are now powered through that clean power device. I also Installed a Clean Power machine at one of the TVs to test that side of the connection.
Disconnected source power sequentially from sources in an attempt to isolate the offending source. Any/all sources still experienced noise on the lines
Disconnected power from modem/WiFi (on same FIOS feed) in an attempt to isolate noise
No joy.
So, I'm at a loss on why the signal goes awry during the day. On the surface it looks like noise in the power grid or noise on the sources, but I'm completely stumped.
Any ideas?
post #477 of 504 Old 01-11-2010, 12:35 PM

Have you confirmed that your source material is clean during those hours (by connecting directly to tv)? Is it a cable box or DVD?

Is it a sharp on/off transition at 9:30 or is that just a general time about when it goes bad?

Richard
post #478 of 504 Old 01-11-2010, 02:30 PM

Richard,
Thanks for the response. Yes, I have a 4th FIOS box in the theater that works fine during those hours. and yes, it is a sharp transition. In fact, here's my wife's email to me earlier today...
"Drew came down from nap and I turned on the tv and it still wasn't working. I told him if he could just wait 15 min, it will work at 330. well, what do you know? 312pm is the magic number - it works now and I saw it switched from not working to working perfectly.

what is going on from 928-312pm every single day???"

Have you confirmed that your source material is clean during those hours (by connecting directly to tv)? Is it a cable box or DVD?

Is it a sharp on/off transition at 9:30 or is that just a general time about when it goes bad?
post #479 of 504 Old 01-11-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganvpi View Post

what is going on from 928-312pm every single day???"

Those are the same hours when someone might set their thermostat back, or maybe when the power company has some kind of off-peak hour saving plan. Does that spur any thoughts?

Richard
post #480 of 504 Old 01-11-2010, 04:05 PM

So, is this degredation only while viewing video over fios or is it the same with a DVD? If it's the same with a DVD have you tried the DVD without any other source material plugged into the Avatrix?
Reply Home A/V Distribution