Official Audio Authority AVAtrix Q&A Thread (AVX-661 and AVX-561) - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 504 Old 01-12-2010, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Richard,
Same thoughts I had with respect to the power grid. The thermostat is a simple one and is not governed by a clock. I figured the Clean Power device would offset whatever "noise" would be caused by the incoming power, but perhaps not. It seems that it has to be power related. Some more troubleshooting that I've done just for reference for all...
I don't have a DVD player on the Switch, but I do have a Media PC. I've systematically removed each input so that I can test each one independently and the noise remains.
I removed the source cable from the FIOS boxes (FEED from the outside line) to see if the noise was being caused by FIOS and not something else. The noise remained and was easily visible on the MediaCenter Input.
I put a 2nd clean power device on one the TVs in the network. This didn't reduce the noise on that TV. I've disconnected all other outputs and then tested a couple of the TVs to see if the noise was being backfed from the TVs, but that didn't do it.
I'm leaning toward it being a systematic power issue as Richard suggested, just not sure what the fix might be?

Thanks for all the suggestions/help.
m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post

Those are the same hours when someone might set their thermostat back, or maybe when the power company has some kind of off-peak hour saving plan. Does that spur any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 504 Old 02-04-2010, 10:18 AM

hi folks ,
have installed component matix swicher customer just home from 3 week holiday can seem to get picture on any screen from any source ,any thoughts most appreciated .

kind regards
conor

n ireland
post #483 of 504 Old 09-24-2010, 07:57 AM
ASW

I have an AVAtrix 562 that started acting odd last night on one of my 6 sources. Only in this source the picture has a very green tint.

In addition, when trying to watch a standard DVD, I am able to see the DVD power on screen (tinted green of course). Then I can see the warnings and disclaimers on a disc, but as soon as the DVD movie starts, I lose the picture and get a "no signal" message on my television.

This happens on both of my television's component inputs, so I doubt it is the television. My other televisions connected to the AVAtrix work perfectly (no green tint and no problems watching any source)

Has anyone else seen this kind of problem?
post #484 of 504 Old 09-24-2010, 08:03 AM

Does this DVD player work on other TV's in the house or appears green everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASW View Post

I have an AVAtrix 562 that started acting odd last night on one of my 6 sources. Only in this source the picture has a very green tint.

In addition, when trying to watch a standard DVD, I am able to see the DVD power on screen (tinted green of course). Then I can see the warnings and disclaimers on a disc, but as soon as the DVD movie starts, I lose the picture and get a "no signal" message on my television.

This happens on both of my television's component inputs, so I doubt it is the television. My other televisions connected to the AVAtrix work perfectly (no green tint and no problems watching any source)

post #485 of 504 Old 09-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I had a similar problem, except mine was a different tint, but I never completely lost signal. Only one location had a problem, all other endpoints were fine. I have an older 661 with separate 1176 router. In talking with AA tech support, they indicated that the router cat5 connections for that location may have gone bad. I had 3 open locations on the router, so I switched that locations cat5 cables from the original router ports to another pair of ports and that fixed my problem. Not exactly my ideal solution (I actually had 2 bad ports, so I only have 1 spare now, and will have to buy a new router if any more go bad).

Try moving your pair of cat5 (be sure to NOT MIX A & B lines up) to another pair of ports on the back of your 562 to see if that cures the problem. If not, I would suggest calling AA tech support - they are very helpful!
post #486 of 504 Old 09-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
,,,its very unusual for an RJ-45 port that doesn't have constant plugging and unplugging duty to fail prematurely. That said, if this is the case with an Avatrix, I wonder if it would be possible to have the plug panel replaced by Audio Authority.

Are Eleven Channels Really Enough?

post #487 of 504 Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

,,,its very unusual for an RJ-45 port that doesn't have constant plugging and unplugging duty to fail prematurely. That said, if this is the case with an Avatrix, I wonder if it would be possible to have the plug panel replaced by Audio Authority.

I didn't ask at the time - was too busy trying to get it back to working order. However, I also had 3 unused locations (wired, but no tv setup) wired to the ports, so I did have ALL 6 ports used on the back of the router. And no constant plugging/unplugging. Support indicated that an electrical spike MIGHT travel back up the cat5 lines and into the ports, so I've since disconnected ALL unused connections. Just relaying what I was told.
post #488 of 504 Old 09-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

...an electrical surge would likely harm internal components moreso than an RJ-45 port. They are more susceptible to mechanical damage. I presume you have tried swapping ports at the Avatrix end, between a known good circuit and the problem circuit? If the problem persists after the swap, you might next try swapping out the affected wallplate unit with one of the idle ones. But, before doing anything further, above all follow tech support's recommendations.

post #489 of 504 Old 09-24-2010, 08:28 PM

I am thinking of getting an Avatrix. Are you all pretty satisfied with it? How quick does the IR route commands to the components? Is it pretty good or is their a delay?
post #490 of 504 Old 09-24-2010, 10:50 PM
ASW

Quote:
Originally Posted by coasterjunkie View Post

Does this DVD player work on other TV's in the house or appears green everywhere?

Nope. Everything works fine in all other rooms.
post #491 of 504 Old 09-24-2010, 10:52 PM
ASW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

I had a similar problem, except mine was a different tint, but I never completely lost signal. Only one location had a problem, all other endpoints were fine. I have an older 661 with separate 1176 router. In talking with AA tech support, they indicated that the router cat5 connections for that location may have gone bad. I had 3 open locations on the router, so I switched that locations cat5 cables from the original router ports to another pair of ports and that fixed my problem. Not exactly my ideal solution (I actually had 2 bad ports, so I only have 1 spare now, and will have to buy a new router if any more go bad).

Try moving your pair of cat5 (be sure to NOT MIX A & B lines up) to another pair of ports on the back of your 562 to see if that cures the problem. If not, I would suggest calling AA tech support - they are very helpful!

Thanks. I will have to pull my rack to get to the AVAtrix (ughhhhh).
post #492 of 504 Old 09-24-2010, 10:59 PM
ASW

Quote:

...an electrical surge would likely harm internal components moreso than an RJ-45 port. They are more susceptible to mechanical damage. I presume you have tried swapping ports at the Avatrix end, between a known good circuit and the problem circuit? If the problem persists after the swap, you might next try swapping out the affected wallplate unit with one of the idle ones. But, before doing anything further, above all follow tech support's recommendations.

I haven't tried swapping ports yet since it is a bit of a production to pull the rack and get behind the AVAtrix (that said, the wall plate is behind a 80 pound television hanging on my wall that will have to be removed).

I think I will have my installer do the trouble shooting next week (I guess a third possble problem could be a bad Cat 5 cable running to the bad set or a bad connector.
post #493 of 504 Old 09-24-2010, 11:10 PM
ASW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tds1 View Post

I am thinking of getting an Avatrix. Are you all pretty satisfied with it? How quick does the IR route commands to the components? Is it pretty good or is their a delay?

Other than the issue I am having with my kitchen TV, I really like the AVAtrix. It is a good solution for large scale AV distribution (and it is much better than the multi-room option I otherwise had with my anthem D2v)

I do not know how the ir routing works on the AVAtrix. I am using all RTI remotes, which are RF rather than ir.

The only issue I have really notced with the AVAtrix is that when it switches, there is a flash of color/pattern on the screeen. It is not a big deal, but it is annoying. Personally, I would like it better if the AVAtrix muted its video when it switched. In my perfect world, the AVAtrix would transcode sources (so I would not have to use all component connections) and would distribute HDMI.
post #494 of 504 Old 09-26-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Other than the issue I am having with my kitchen TV, I really like the AVAtrix. It is a good solution for large scale AV distribution (and it is much better than the multi-room option I otherwise had with my anthem D2v)

I do not know how the ir routing works on the AVAtrix. I am using all RTI remotes, which are RF rather than ir.

The only issue I have really notced with the AVAtrix is that when it switches, there is a flash of color/pattern on the screeen. It is not a big deal, but it is annoying. Personally, I would like it better if the AVAtrix muted its video when it switched. In my perfect world, the AVAtrix would transcode sources (so I would not have to use all component connections) and would distribute HDMI.

Odd. Does the flash of color/pattern occur only on the set that is switching sources or does it occur on all sets that are on? How quick does switching occur?
post #495 of 504 Old 09-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

First, I agree, what Tech Support told me didn't quite make sense to me, as yes, I would agree with your comments on what would be damaged. However, like it or not, that's what they said, and by dog, that WAS the problem. MY issue is fixed because I swapped ports on the back of the Aviatrix 1176 to ones that ARE working. So yeah, I've got 2 bad ports on my 1176. Don't know why, I simply parroted what Tech Support told me on the phone in my post above. Now my issue is and HAS BEEN fixed. I was only posting trying to help ASW with his issue, as the symptom sounded familiar. No need to help me. I'm good, other than needing to eventually repair/replace the 1176.
post #496 of 504 Old 02-21-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Anyone know if these came with rack mount ears?

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

Jason@programmergeek.com

908 578-6466

post #497 of 504 Old 02-21-2011, 11:21 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by programmergeek View Post

Anyone know if these came with rack mount ears?

Mine did not.

Richard
post #498 of 504 Old 05-31-2011, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone been using the AV Atrix system ? we have a client that wants us to install it (someone had pre-wired for them)...just want to know if there is something as good/better for this single coax switching that it is capable of.
post #499 of 504 Old 05-31-2011, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

...not sure what you mean by "single coax". The Avatrix requires dual runs of Cat5e cable from the central unit to each zone served. It works fine, but bear in mind it is component video distribution and not HDMI for the video. Your client needs to be aware that the future resolution of a component video distribution signal may become down rez'd by the media providers, particularly insofar as blu-ray source players are concerned.

post #500 of 504 Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Jedi...I stand corrected. Maybe they (cat5/6) are buried behind the wall-plates. I went to the website and saw the component video only on the rear of the distribution units. Why would someone install this in 2011 knowing the limitations going fwd of comp video?
Have you had experience with a similar 6x6 product ?
post #501 of 504 Old 06-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

...because this thing works and HDMI distribution systems seldom do?

post #502 of 504 Old 06-01-2011, 09:52 AM

Mine has worked well for three years. I have four sources and twelve outlets, spread out with some of the runs over 150'.

Richard
post #503 of 504 Old 06-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post

Mine has worked well for three years. I have four sources and twelve outlets, spread out with some of the runs over 150'.

Richard - the lack of HDMI connectivity has not hindered you from enjoying the product ? What about 3d or the lack of the audio return when streaming NetFlix...and the worse thing--the downgrading of the HD single to SD from DTV and various cable companies and certainly possibly from any component video out from DVD as this 'analog sunset' takes place as Jedi has suggested.
Just curious how you've overcome (or plan to)
post #504 of 504 Old 06-04-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanl715 View Post

Richard - the lack of HDMI connectivity has not hindered you from enjoying the product ? What about 3d or the lack of the audio return when streaming NetFlix...and the worse thing--the downgrading of the HD single to SD from DTV and various cable companies and certainly possibly from any component video out from DVD as this 'analog sunset' takes place as Jedi has suggested. Just curious how you've overcome (or plan to)

These things haven't happened yet. I'm not using 3D. No problem streaming Netflix. No one is downgrading any signal. My cable is 1080i. I rip my movies to HTPC and they are 1080p.

When I do get 3D, I'll make the player directly accessible to the one TV where I'll run it. I have my doubts about the analog sunset, but if and when it happens, I'll get converters for my HDMI devices. What would bother me is trying to create a similar matrix system in HDMI.

Richard
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page