On-Q/Legrand lyriQ Distributed Audio - AVS Forum
Home A/V Distribution > On-Q/Legrand lyriQ Distributed Audio
amillians's Avatar amillians 01:16 PM 03-03-2007
Looking for real world feedback from installers and owners...I'm tough, I can take it. I don't normally hang around this part of the forum, so I'm willing to trade insider secrets about Blu-ray or HD DVD for help. I searched AVS, but came up emtpy so far, save for lyriQ winning some award for product innovation...probably like the trophy I won at "Everyone Wins a Trophy Day" back in school.

Situation: new generic house, builder will *only* install On-Q lyriQ distributed audio toys. I can't hire someone else to do the low voltage or buy my own equipment, and I don't want to retrofit anything. I can't even get them to run speaker wire and let me finish the setup after closing. Basically, if I want audio around the house without ripping apart walls/ceilings, I can hire people to sing in each room or just accept fate and go with the lyriQ system.

This is a beyond simple setup: 1 source (docked iPod) in 4 rooms. It's a standard, generic, builder-focused On-Q package:

-- lyriQ F7396 Single Source 4 Zone Distribution Module
-- lyriQ F7398 Single Source Input
-- lyriQ F7417 Local Source Input
-- lyriQ F7399 Amplified Volume Controls with IR (Rotary Knob) *or* lyriQ F7394 Amplified Keypads (Pushbutton)
-- evoQ 3000 6.5" In-Ceiling Speakers

My concern is how loud this puppy can get...I can't find squat about the efficiency of the evoQ speakers, and I realize the A-BUS-esque amp'd pads are pretty weak. Are we talking clock radio loud? A little better? My expectations are woefully low, but I'm hoping for better than clock radio. I like the look of the F7394 keypads better than the F7399 knobs...any delta in power performance?

Thoughts? Oh, and because I'm a glutton for punishment, I might "upgrade" to the 4 source, 8 zone module. Meh. Thanks in advance.

sclaggett's Avatar sclaggett 09:53 AM 03-08-2007
I was in the same situation until recently. My builder provider offered this system and I went for it. I figured worst case I can rip it out and have the wiring. I looked at a friends ABS and was not impressed but the legard sounded ok with some upgraded speakers.

My challenge now is that they have switched vendors and now offer the NUVO concerto alternative. 80watts of power I think. It is more expensive. The NUVO will not link to an intercom which I planned in future from what I can tell.

I would be interested in hearing others comment on the On-Q system especially vs the NUVO system.

Good luck with your decision.

Stuart
amillians's Avatar amillians 04:33 PM 03-08-2007
Thanks for replying, Stuart...it turns out my builder is more strict than originally thought...I can't even upgrade the components within the On-Q lineup...I get rotary knobs and a single, single source/4 zone module...if I want to add a fifth zone, voila, I get *another* single source/4 zone module, not the 8 zone module. How assinine.

Needless to say, I'm seeing what the going rate for singers is...
sclaggett's Avatar sclaggett 06:31 PM 03-08-2007
I assume he does not allow any pre-wiring of zones. Mine did. Luckily I dont have the old style knobs. Crazy that he would not offer all of the product line.
Overlord66's Avatar Overlord66 07:47 PM 03-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by amillians View Post

Thanks for replying, Stuart...it turns out my builder is more strict than originally thought...I can't even upgrade the components within the On-Q lineup...I get rotary knobs and a single, single source/4 zone module...if I want to add a fifth zone, voila, I get *another* single source/4 zone module, not the 8 zone module. How assinine.

Needless to say, I'm seeing what the going rate for singers is...

Let him know exactly what you want and demand that you get it. It's going to be your house after all so don't just settle. I;ve delt with a lot of builders that are like this and in the end if you stay on thier ass about it they will give in and let you have what you really want.
amillians's Avatar amillians 06:49 AM 03-09-2007
Overlord...I agree 100%, but when I say "builder" here I'm talking about Pulte, the megcorp constructor of all things generic. They seem to build assuming that the buyer won't actually close on the house, and so the buyer ends up with an extremely limited palette of options to keep things sufficiently generic. $500K doesn't buy much in Atlanta these days...I wish I could afford to go custom (stupid dot com investments!), but generic's the answer right now.

So along with my rotary On-Q volume controls that I don't like, I get light fixtures I don't like and paint colors I don't like...all fixable post closing, of course, for a price (I just hate paying $80 for rotary when the keypad I really want is only $15 more).

For posterity's sake, I'll post in August (when the house is finished) how well On-Q stands up in the real world.
sclaggett's Avatar sclaggett 02:26 PM 03-09-2007
Why don't you offer to pay for the difference in the plates right now as a part of a deposit?

We all get the white paint. Just hope it is a shell white paint and not BRIGHT white.
amillians's Avatar amillians 03:01 PM 03-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclaggett View Post

Why don't you offer to pay for the difference in the plates right now as a part of a deposit?

Already tried and got rejected...I also tried to bribe the low voltage guy to "upgrade" stuff when he ordered the equipment, as well...that failed too (he said he'd lose the Pulte account if he did it and they found out).

Quite crazy. Live and learn: Pulte = their way or the highway.
Overlord66's Avatar Overlord66 08:09 PM 03-09-2007
Quote:

Already tried and got rejected...I also tried to bribe the low voltage guy to "upgrade" stuff when he ordered the equipment, as well...that failed too (he said he'd lose the Pulte account if he did it and they found out).

Well not all is lost there is always ebay. You can atleast make some money back after you switch them out.
the_cable_guy's Avatar the_cable_guy 09:44 PM 03-09-2007
why not call ON-Q up and complain. I am sure they are part of the ON-Q builder program since they use they're products. The volume on them ain't bad. It ain't nothing that's gonna raise your roof but the sound quality is decent and if placed properly will make a pretty decent system. Just order and upgrade the keypads after you move in. It's just a simple 110 punch down and speaker connections on the back. The builder won't even use the 7000 series speakers?
la916's Avatar la916 12:42 AM 03-13-2007
Quote:

I had a similar experience with my builder, their options were limited. The best solution for me (and it was an available option) was to just have the builder do their standard pre-wire to each room and then I paid for additional runs of wire to certain locations to meet my expected current and future needs. I did not purchase any equipment, just the pre-wiring. This gave me the ability to add the equipment I wanted later. The pre-wiring consisted of multiple runs of CAT5, RG 6, and Speaker wire all going to a Distributed Audio/Video hub.
amillians's Avatar amillians 06:45 AM 04-14-2007
A new variable to the equation:

There's a new 20W class D keypad for lyriQ, which *seems* to overcome the "too quiet" issues common with their existing lineup:

http://www.onqlegrand.com/jahia/Jahia/pid/2589

For some modicum of closure, I was able to "undo" my "solution" audio order and get them to fall back on pre-wiring...they're (naturally) gouging me, but hey, what's a little gouging between customer and builder?

EDIT: Okay, the new 20W class D keypad requires dedicated power run to each keypad location, using a new power block...kind of defeats the purpose?
Lotus00's Avatar Lotus00 08:51 AM 04-20-2012
Quote:

A new variable to the equation:

There's a new 20W class D keypad for lyriQ, which *seems* to overcome the "too quiet" issues common with their existing lineup:

http://www.onqlegrand.com/jahia/Jahia/pid/2589

For some modicum of closure, I was able to "undo" my "solution" audio order and get them to fall back on pre-wiring...they're (naturally) gouging me, but hey, what's a little gouging between customer and builder?

EDIT: Okay, the new 20W class D keypad requires dedicated power run to each keypad location, using a new power block...kind of defeats the purpose?

Hi I just read this old thread but applies to me. I bought a home recently that had the onq system already installed. Its the 7 watt per key pad one. I dont like it and want to upgrade. I need more power in the key pads and better ceiling speakers (got ceiling speakers lined up already). Im wondering how this worked out for you? I could swap out the onq system and put in a different one. Maybe the Nuvo one. Wondering if you or anyone has any experience with the onq system and its compeitors. Thanks
Up
Mobile  Desktop