Cable TV over CAT-5 question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-24-2007, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need a little help to figure out a problem.

New home has a small TV/DVD player mounted underneath counter in the kitchen. Problem is builder put the TV in but did not run a Coax for me to send Cable TV to this TV.

However, there is a CAT-5 cable that terminates very closely to it. Since all my Coax (for Cable TV) and CAT-5 runs are distributed from a wiring closet, I am hoping I can figure out some way to figure to send the Cable TV signal from my wiring closet to this kitchen TV, via the CAT-5.

I started looking for baluns to send Cable TV signal over CAT-5 (with a standard "F" connector (regular coax cable connector) on one side and a RJ-45 or terminal screws on the other side to connect to CAT-5. I have found the following (hope this link works) :
http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...5Fid=33%2D9630

Is the solution that simple? Connect Cable TV coax in wiring closet to one of these baluns, then on other end of CAT-5 put another balun and connect the TV ?

This balun says it only uses one twisted pair. So is this going to send audio and video of Cable TV?

I don't really understand what the Coax Cable TV combined audio/video signal is like, but it kinda amazes me if I can send that over one twisted pair.

Anyway, please advise if you think this is right kind of balun for me to get, or if you have another idea.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-25-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping.
I hope someone out there can help with this cable TV signal question.
Thanks!
Jeff
post #3 of 10 Old 03-26-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 160
There are baluns that will send composite video over cat5. The CCTV industry uses them, but for RF over cat5, forget it.
Cat5 isn't shielded.

Get the fish tape out.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-02-2007, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I figured there just had to be a product to do this. I found it!

Manufacturer is Intelix (www.intelix.com).
Product: RF-F Broadband Balun
Here is link to their webpage you can find this product on:
http://www.intelix.com/products/balun_video.htm

Here is a press release I found about the product that explains it well:
http://www.intelix.com/press/070213_RF_F_Release.htm

I bought a pair of these (about $80 each) and hooked them up today. I now have cable TV running just fine to over a single twisted pair out of a Cat-5 line!

So if anyone needs to get CATV to a location you have a CAT-5 (or single twisted pair), then these will work for you.

Jeff
post #5 of 10 Old 04-11-2007, 10:01 AM

Does this solution work out of the cable box and transmit a digital signal? I have almost the exact same issue, but I am hoping to leverage my cable box, which is in the wiring closet to put the audio/video upstairs in the bedroom, via cat5. This way I can still get all the channels from the box downstiars. I happen to have coax and cat5e run to the bedroom, but have an issue with storage of another cable box (plus the constant additional cost).
post #6 of 10 Old 04-11-2007, 06:22 PM

The Intelix RF-F does not transmit all digital signals. It transmits signals up to 900 MHz. Typically this is channel 2-150.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-16-2007, 05:12 PM

I have not found any balun that will carry the entire RF spectrum required by Time Warner. If anyone else can find one, let me know. We have used Lynx in the past, but that would be for basic cable (channels 2-98) only. Of course Time Warner is moving everything to digital (deadline is 2009 still, right?) so we have to put in boxes everywhere. Unfortunately we still run across this problem from time to time.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-17-2007, 06:28 AM

It's a popular request and Intelix is working on a solution. Right now, you could centrally locate your cable box and send HD and IR control signals back to the head-end over twisted pair.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-28-2008, 09:34 AM

We have had a huge problem getting signal OVER 80 FEET of CATEGORY 6 CABLE with the LYNX system. We were getting great signal to the cable boxes UNDER 80 FEET but nothing, not even basic channels OVER 80 FEET.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-25-2010, 02:48 PM

In response to the comment from Encore914, your Lynx converters should work for distances that go well beyond 80 feet, but additional amplification may be needed. A 20 dB amp should deliver basic cable (up to 550 MHz) over distances up to 145 feet and premium cable (up to 860 MHz) over distances up to 100 feet. If your distances are longer than these, a 35 dB amp can be used. Larger amps are needed because longer cable runs have greater cable losses.
Reply Home A/V Distribution