Distributing HDMI or Component over Coax or Cat-5? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 02-01-2008, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all new member here, I have read alot on here and decided to join.

I have a similar but not the same question.

I have a 42" LCD in the living room & a 32" LCD in the bedroom.

they are only about 10 feet apart.

how well do the HDMI to CAT5e units work?
I cannot post a link to the one I am looking at cause I am new, but it does use 2 runs of cat5e

Is the quality good? also I realize I will have to splt the signal that will be coming out of my Dishnet 722 that will be installed next week. when I use a splitter will I need a amp also?

any and all help would be great.

I do have a 20" LCD in the office but I guess I would need 2 of these systems and a 3way splitter to do that one too.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 02-02-2008, 09:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

I dont think there will be an advantage, you are converting from digital to analog then analog back to digital. You lose all advantages plus that HDCP stuff will bite you unless you have some thing like HDFury.

Although new TVs and projectors.seem to allow better resolution through HDMI ie...TVs allow 1080p over HDMI and only 720p over compoenent.

I dont know about your specific case, does your projector Component in allow 1080p or 1080i?

IMO, IF you can not run cat5e or run HDMI cables there is no reason to connect HDMI.

Unfortunately, my new Sony VPL VW60 projector will ONLY pass 1080P/24 video signal through its HDMI inputs; even though I much prefer component, and do NOT wish to tear out my walls & ceiling to install HDMI cabling, component ONLY offers 480p & i, 720p and 1080i video resolution. Therefore, to enjoy the best from my Blu-ray player, I must find a solution to take the HDMI output from the player to the HDMI input of the projector using either wireless or CAT 5. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Jack
post #33 of 34 Old 02-02-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhart View Post

Unfortunately, my new Sony VPL VW60 projector will ONLY pass 1080P/24 video signal through its HDMI inputs; even though I much prefer component, and do NOT wish to tear out my walls & ceiling to install HDMI cabling, component ONLY offers 480p & i, 720p and 1080i video resolution. Therefore, to enjoy the best from my Blu-ray player, I must find a solution to take the HDMI output from the player to the HDMI input of the projector using either wireless or CAT 5. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Jack

I think I am going to try the CAT5e solution, I will have to splt the signal out of by Dish 722 one will go to my main 42" lcd then the other to the unit for the Cat5e setup. I wonder if I need a amplified splitter or not
post #34 of 34 Old 02-07-2011, 03:02 PM

I recently purchased an HDMI over Coax extender kit from HDTVSupply.com. I have DirecTV and I have a couple of receivers in the basement that are shared by 5 TVs. I recently changed one TV to an HD LCD panel and wanted to push an HD signal to it without having to move the HD receiver to that room and run new cables from the dish to the box.

I purchased the HDMI to Coax Adapter - HDTVEX0101S2122 from HDTVSupply and get it a try. It works great. I have one HD DirecTV receiver (an R22) pushing HD to that upstairs TV over HDMI. The picture looks great and the installation was easy. The IR relay is nice too.

Just wanted to share my experiences with this. Take care.

Steve C.

Steve Cashman
Reply Home A/V Distribution