post #1 of 5 Old 05-18-2007, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
ezl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This seems like a simple need, but I haven't found any solutions:

I currently have the following wired configuration:
I connect my PC audio to my home home theater system (standard PC audio out to left and right channel in on home theater) and my PC video out to the HDMI in on my HD TV (through a secondary DVI output on my video card using a DVI-to-HDMI cable). Works like a charm.

I'm moving and the PC is now going to be on a different floor, so I want to emulate that config wirelessly. Seems easier said than done, though...
There are media servers, but I don't want to get into specifying file types, etc. For one reason, I want to stream online media (through Netflix, Amazon, and whatever may come up in the future, etc.). For another, I like the idea of having access to my 'full PC' from a distance (w/ a long range wireless keyboard). All I really need is (conceptually) to wirelessly use my home theater in place of my PC speakers and my TV in place of my monitor. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Somehow I can't believe that in a world with SlingBox, media servers, etc. this (seemingly) simpler need is not filled somehow...

Thanks,
Lorin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-18-2007, 08:57 PM

You will get more replies in the Home Theater PC section. Can you still run a long HDMI cable
from the different floor? Does your A/V receiver have digital audio inputs? SPDIF from your PC is a must.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-21-2007, 06:24 AM

I'm not an expert on wireless streaming hardware, but I tried a Leap Frog system for streaming audio and it was pretty good until somebody used the microwave or a wireless telephone. Then it turned to static - not a crowd-pleaser.

I'm hardwiring everything in my new house.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-21-2007, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
ezl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd72667 View Post

You will get more replies in the Home Theater PC section. Can you still run a long HDMI cable
from the different floor? Does your A/V receiver have digital audio inputs? SPDIF from your PC is a must.

Hi...
Thanks for the response and the posting suggestion.
Technically I can run the wiring but based on the price of the cabling it would be probably $1000s of dollars in cable plus the carpentry costs of running it behind walls, baseboards, etc. I'd rather avoid that if possible...
post #5 of 5 Old 05-21-2007, 08:23 AM

www.monoprice.com have long HDMI cables really cheap. Hook into this http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style= and you can run very long runs. You will not spend $1000, maybe $200.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page