Building Home Need Cable/wiring advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-28-2007, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I've read tons of threads on here about wiring up a new house for video distribution etc but I'm still a little confused...lol

I'm meeting with the wiring company this week to discuss the wiring for my soon to be built house and I want to be sure that I get the right cables run. My media closet will be downstairs in the basement (in a room next to the HT) and my main goal for now is to have my HD PVR distributed to all the tv's in the house (over Cat5e and using something like an Audio Authority Matrix), but I also want to make sure everything is sort of future proof (short term) so if I chose to have audio distribution or other video distribution in the near future, all the wiring will already be there.

Here's what I'm currently thinking of running for cables.

Cat5e x 4 to each room (bedrooms, living room) for video/audio Matrix (2),
Tel(1), internet (1)

RG6 x 3 to each room. Should I run 6 so I have the option of just using
component video directly and not using Cat5e?

I currently use cable for my HD TV source but in case I want to switch to Satellite in the future, I want to run the RG6 cables from the attic to the basement but I don't know how many cables I need to run. How many runs of RG6 will I need to get HD PVR Satellite? I've heard as many as 6 runs, is this true?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-28-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Cat5e x 4 to each room (bedrooms, living room) for video/audio Matrix (2),
Tel(1), internet (1)

I would run maybe 3 more cat5e for serial, IR, USB extensions, any other unknown usages. I did my wiring last year and I have 4 like you but I need more now in some rooms.

Quote:
RG6 x 3 to each room. Should I run 6 so I have the option of just using
component video directly and not using Cat5e?

You can choose to go HD video/audio over cat5e as per your cat5e specs or you can go RG6. If you are unsure about which one then run 5 RG6 to each room [3 for HD component, 2 for analog audio (or 1 for digital audio)]

Quote:
I currently use cable for my HD TV source but in case I want to switch to Satellite in the future, I want to run the RG6 cables from the attic to the basement but I don't know how many cables I need to run. How many runs of RG6 will I need to get HD PVR Satellite? I've heard as many as 6 runs, is this true?

As per above you only need 3 RG6 for HD video out of any cable DVR, Satellite DVR and so on. you need 2 more for analog audio or 1 for digital audio. A total of 5 will work...or you can just run cat5e everywhere.

One last note...find out the cost difference between cat5e and cat6..Cat5e has MAX gigabit band width where cat6 can exceed. Currently there isnt much in the house that will exceed a gigabit but you never know!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #3 of 6 Old 05-28-2007, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

As per above you only need 3 RG6 for HD video out of any cable DVR, Satellite DVR and so on. you need 2 more for analog audio or 1 for digital audio. A total of 5 will work...or you can just run cat5e everywhere.

Thanks for the info and quick reply.

I will most likely send the signal via cat5e to the different tv's, but how many RG6 cables do I need from the actual dish to the HD receiver (I've never had Sat tv before)?
post #4 of 6 Old 05-28-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
but how many RG6 cables do I need from the actual dish to the HD receiver (I've never had Sat tv before)?

ah.....It depends on the receiver. You are better off running more then less.

In my house I have 3 HD Dish receivers and I have just 3 RG6 cables running from the Dish to them. But I dont do DVR with them, if you have DVR you could run multiple connections into one receiver. I have never had a DVR for Sat TV though so Im not the expert. You should just contact a local Sat. installer, they will tell you everything you need.

post #5 of 6 Old 05-29-2007, 08:59 PM

Liked: 11
Which Integrated Audio and Video systems distribute HD to the TV's / Monitors throughout the home? The Xantech and Russound systems I have worked with were limited to Composite Video to all zones. ???

"if you can't find the answer to life, change your questions"
post #6 of 6 Old 05-30-2007, 05:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Autopatch or Extron matrix switches distribute HD Video and Audio throughout a home.

They do not have amps like the Russound or Xantech solution so external amps are required for audio.

Im distributing Digital audio so I use Denon or Yahama AVRs to handle every zone. This gives me more power and greater flexibility instead of having basic 30w/channel analog audio distribution.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page