A/V network for NEW CONSTRUCTION - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-17-2007, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's what I was thinking (Let me know your ideas for accomplishing this)

I'm building a new 2 storie Cabin in the near future that's at the base of a mountain.

The first storie is an open floor plan.

The living area instead of a Flat panel Tv on the wall, I'd like to change that for a projection screen and
setup a 720p native projector which would be cheaper than a HDTV 720p. Plus I'd like it hide-away in ceiling when not in use.

Question: How would you setup Surround Sound, and what speakers would use in that room with hidden wires?

I'm looking for a low cost solution.

Also to get content on to the projector, what would I need to do while keeping all the wires hidden. Video content at the moment would be mainly Divx and X264, ISO DVD files. But I'd like to leave my options open for HD content in the future. Whether it be Cable provider or HD DVD in the near future. What media center do you recommend? A HTPC perhaps?

If I were to build a HTPC for this, I'd like it to be hidden from view. In it's own room or hidden inside a wall. And have some sort of remote controller with an LCD screen that accesses it and selects the content. Keep in mind the controller would have to work on both floors without having to point it at the HTPC every time I want to use it. There has to be a way to do this.

I'd also love to play Mp3 music through here too. I'm not a big audio buff. Mp3 sounds good to me as long as its bitrate is 200 and up. I no longer use CDs or even DVDs. I've gone all digital.

And finally I'd like the same Mp3 Music to play in the Bathroom. And Outside on the Deck where the jacuzzi is.

But I want to be able to control the different speakers so it's not playing on all speakers at same time. Also for it to be a wired solution. I am fiercely biased against all wireless products. They have all sucked. So many cons, interference, thick walls preventing the signal. I've had so much crap happen with a wireless router that I'd never want to rely on one for anything.

I'd never want to use anything wireless if I can do it wired instead. Until they improve the current crap wireless technology that barely makes it into another room, I'll stick with wired solutions. Unless someone has had good experience with some wireless components and convinces me otherwise, I could change my mind.

What surround sound speakers would you recommend for the Day Room projection solution, the simple stereo Bathroom, and the outside stereo Deck?

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing your ideas for this. I tried looking at all the posts in here but just got too confused with everything going on. Hopefully I get some simple straightforward answers and solutions to this.

Keep in mind I'd like to keep costs down. The only reason I'm getting a 720 projector is because they are now available for under a grand. And there are some hacks out there to replace the bulbs for a $100 max. Way cheaper than a HDTV. Unless a decent size HDTV comes down in price, I was seriously contemplating going with a projector and a 50 - 80 inch screen.

I'd also like to wire this up to another hide-away projector in my bedroom. All wires have got to be hidden from view. So the HTPC/Media center would have to link up to two different projectors in two different rooms. Would I be able to run both at same time or only one at a time?

Would I need a separate Media center for the other projector? Like the cheap TVisto, would that do the trick? How would I wire up the Tvisto when the $30 HDMI cable is only 5 feet long? I'd like a neat installation. All hidden wires. Hideaway projectors. Motorized screens or rollups. Probably just do the rollups to cut down on costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-18-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Like the cheap TVisto, would that do the trick? How would I wire up the Tvisto when the $30 HDMI cable is only 5 feet long?

Check monoprice.com for all cable prices. You will save a ton of money!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page