Directv video distribution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about to install the distribution panel in my new house. I've ran all the cat5 and RG6 and am needing to know if standard coaxial TV distribution blocks like the Leviton ones home depot sells will work for directv signals. Do I need the satellite rated ones I've seen around the internet?

Also is the Leviton SMC 280 normally good enough for TV's in 10 to 13 locations and cat 5s in 12 to 15 or should I get the 420? I wire networks professionally, but I've never done all this video stuff. The number possible locations is for future use. At first I'll probably only hook up the essentials so I can play with it all at a later date. I just don't want to be replacing the whole panel and all the modules because I didn't make the core components big enough in the first place. My goal with the installation is the make adding a computer or tv as easy as terminating the wire on each end and turning the stuff on. No trips to the store for the easy stuff. We'll save that for when I finish my basement and talk the wife into a home theater.

Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-10-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWhytsell View Post

I've ran all the cat5 and RG6 and am needing to know if standard coaxial TV distribution blocks like the Leviton ones home depot sells will work for directv signals. Do I need the satellite rated ones I've seen around the internet?

Welcome to the forum!

First, you can not split satellite signals in the traditional method like you can cable TV. You need a device called a multiswitch. The "satellite" splitters you see on the internet are meant to split the signals from the dish to multiple multiswitches.

Second, are you planning on having DVR's?, HD?, OTA? Currently, D* does not have a one wire solution like E* does. They are currently test what they call a SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch), but it is not available yet. So this means if you want dual tuner DVR's, you need 2 coax lines to each location.

If you are going to want HD, then you need to make sure you get a new wideband multiswitch (your installer will provide one if needed). And if you want your HD locals OTA, then you need a separate coax for that as well as you can't diplex OTA into the new wideband system.

Check out AVS's sister site www.dbstalk.com and the D* section. Lots of good info there. Good luck.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-10-2007, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey thanks,

No HD for me the picture is fine and I don't really even watch satellite shows enough to bother paying for it. I guess what I'm asking about the satellite signal is can I send the signal from one reciever through a standard 1 into 6(or whatever) coaxial splitter and have the same signal appear on 6 different displays or would it need a special one for this purpose. I'm guessing I wouldn't need anything to special to do that unless I needed one with a booster.

Also if someone could answer the questions about how big of a panel I'd need that would be great. Now to go read on that link you posted.

Evan
Reply Home A/V Distribution