4 security cameras split/screen on TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 07-26-2007, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, need your opinion and advice on what my options are for the following.

I would like to be able to view my security cameras on a TV channel.. whether it be channel 3, AUX, input1, input2, etc etc etc. I would also like to be able to record the cameras and possible broadcast them over the internet to be able to view them from work.

I currently have a home theatre PC connected to HDTV... what are my options?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-26-2007, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Recording 4 cameras simultaneously and being able to stream them onto the internet will take a little bit of dedication by a PC. I wouldn't bundle it onto your existing HTPC. I use a Geovision 650 card on a 1GHz PIII and it works great. Allows for concurrent recording on motion of 8 inputs and has several different clients for viewing via the net. They are typically a bit more expensive, but worth it IMHO. Usually you can get them fairly reasonable on Ebay, just be wary of knockoffs.
post #3 of 29 Old 07-26-2007, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, I have a 1.2Ghz server with 1.5TB raid5 which I use to store all audio/video content. I use my HTPC as a PVR and to stream from the server. Assuming that the server can handle streaming to two locations at the same time AND record from the 4-camera capture card, how would I be able to live stream the cameras, on TV? through client software installed on the HTPC?
post #4 of 29 Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 PM

I would suggest installing 4 analog cameras to a local DVR for recording purposes, then run one output to a video modulator, so you can view from any TV in the home, then another ouput to an AXIS Video server to view from work. Done it plenty of times and works as advertised.
post #5 of 29 Old 07-26-2007, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

can you name some of the manufacturers and specs for the parts you mentioned? ie. dvr card and modulator. The DVR card in this case would need 4 inputs and 2 outputs correct?
thx
post #6 of 29 Old 07-27-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't know exactly what you're looking for feature wise, but you can get set-top DVRs that allow record on motion and web access for only a few hundred dollars. Most come bare so you could add your own drive.
post #7 of 29 Old 07-27-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Actually I am in the market for a 4ch DVR as well, so if anybody has some brand suggestions, I am listening too

Tim
post #8 of 29 Old 07-27-2007, 01:11 PM

Liked: 11
Here is an inexpensive gadget that could help solve the Internet side of your project:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...PLUS-N&cpc=SCH
post #9 of 29 Old 08-09-2007, 08:43 AM

One question regarding the Video Server for accessing the security cameras over the internet.

How does the Video Server need to be connected to the whole house networking setup? In my case, I have a cable modem which connects to a router and a hub that provides 16 connections to various locations in the house?

I'm assuming that the video server cannot be connected directly to one of the connections on the hub because it requires a registered IP address,

Thanks...RN
post #10 of 29 Old 08-09-2007, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNaval View Post

One question regarding the Video Server for accessing the security cameras over the internet.

How does the Video Server need to be connected to the whole house networking setup? In my case, I have a cable modem which connects to a router and a hub that provides 16 connections to various locations in the house?

I'm assuming that the video server cannot be connected directly to one of the connections on the hub because it requires a registered IP address,

Thanks...RN

Yes, you connect it to your hub. To get a permanent IP, use a free DNS service like www.no-ip.com. You sign up and create your own domain name, like beerserver.mycameras.com. You download a small applet that runs as a service on your PC that notifies your no-ip account what your current ISP's IP is. You then set your router up to forward the port your camera works off of to the correct computer. On the internet, you just browse to something like http://beerserver.mycameras.com:8080 and see your cameras.
post #11 of 29 Old 08-10-2007, 07:40 AM

So, I'll need to have a computer in place running the applet all of the time?

Are there any hardware solutions for this maybe a switch that can do this?

Thanks...RN
post #12 of 29 Old 08-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Take a look at AXIS stuff.

Good, but pricey.

http://www.axis.com/
post #13 of 29 Old 08-10-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, I'll need to have a computer in place running the applet all of the time?

Are there any hardware solutions for this maybe a switch that can do this?

Thanks...RN

I don't understand your question. You mentioned using a video server which to me implied a PC with a video capture card. That PC would run all the time, otherwise you will not be recording your video.
post #14 of 29 Old 08-10-2007, 01:21 PM

No, the video server is actually a hardware device that connects to the cameras. I also plan on using a DVR and not a PC for recording.

Thanks...RN
post #15 of 29 Old 08-10-2007, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, the video server is actually a hardware device that connects to the cameras. I also plan on using a DVR and not a PC for recording.

Thanks...RN

What's the cost of using an AXIS video server cobbled to a DVR which would have to support multiple channels in order to simultaneously record every camera? Just curious why you wouldn't go less expensive yet seemingly more robust route of a pc based solution. It's not very expensive and solves everything but putting it to your TV. You can accomplish the latter part with a simple modulator. I'm not knocking that solution, I'm just trying to understand the benefits.

Barebones PIII 1GHz PC less than $200.
Geovision GV650 Survellance Capture Card 8 channels less than $200.
post #16 of 29 Old 08-10-2007, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post

.....you can accomplish the latter part with a simple modulator.

robertmee, do you know if a modulator would affect the signal/picture quality of your regular cable? Where would you place the modulator?
post #17 of 29 Old 08-10-2007, 08:42 PM

Are you currently running a system similar to the one you've suggested? If you are and you don't have any issues then I'd be willing to give it a try. Otherwise, based on past experience with other PC based solutions, they break down more often, require a lot of configuring and chew up CPU to a point where you can't run anything else on the PC.
post #18 of 29 Old 08-12-2007, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noon0 View Post

robertmee, do you know if a modulator would affect the signal/picture quality of your regular cable? Where would you place the modulator?

No it would not affect the quality of any cable channels as long as you use either a low pass or band pass filter. If you are using strictly analog cable then it is easy. Get a low pass filter that passes everything below channel 80 (this also passes your guide info typically on ch 99, as channels 95 to 99 are actually around channel 6/7 in the freq range). Then use a modulator to insert your channels around ch 101, 103, 105, etc. Allow a space of two channels for roll-off. If you are using digital cable, then it's a bit more difficult as the digital channels are compressed and more are located in the same bandwidth that a single analog channel occupies. In this case it may be more prudent to use a band pass filter, but you may still lose some of your digital channels.
post #19 of 29 Old 08-12-2007, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you currently running a system similar to the one you've suggested? If you are and you don't have any issues then I'd be willing to give it a try. Otherwise, based on past experience with other PC based solutions, they break down more often, require a lot of configuring and chew up CPU to a point where you can't run anything else on the PC.

Yep, it's exactly what I'm running. The PC sits in a rack and I never touch it and that's all it runs is the Geovision software. I've not busted a burgler yet, but I've busted our 13 year old son several times doing things he's not supposed too

Oh, and I busted this guy once:

post #20 of 29 Old 08-15-2007, 07:47 PM

I have about 10 16 channel dvr's monitoring and recording on motion 160 cameras. The brands/models I use all let you record onto HDD and playback/monitor over the internet, etc. They are the Dedicated Micros Digital Sprite, a few are made by Samsung (dunno model #) and one is by Hunt (www.huntcctv.com). Not the super high end stuff Govt and Banks use. My systems don't talk to one another and don't have cool ways to archive data. No PTZ cams either.

These are all closed systems, they're not that cheap, and are not really supposed to be user serviced. When they break you're fedexing them out to whereever to get fixed and waiting 2 weeks to get the unit back. I think most of mine have mirrored HD too so when one disk dies you're still functional until a replacement is brought in.

If I were to do it myself for home, just for kicks, I'd definitely get a 4 channel dvr card for the computer. Check brands apollo or klive for cheap stuff. You can find 4 channel cards as low as $50 and throw them in an old computer you have laying around.

With a dedicated PC as DVR you can probably pass in S-Video out to the HTPC and use MCE Extenders to watch cams throughout your house.
post #21 of 29 Old 08-16-2007, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimes007 View Post

With a dedicated PC as DVR you can probably pass in S-Video out to the HTPC and use MCE Extenders to watch cams throughout your house.

So...

- An old dedicated PC with a 4ch DVR card.
- Use appropriate software on that PC to create a video server.
- Add that PC to the home LAN and access it's video server via http with MCE extenders or an HTPC.

As an optional addition.... (in case you're the type of person that does not leave their HTPC/MCE extenders powered on 24/7)

- Have the DVR PC also output through coax (RG6) and then split that signal to as many locations as needed. The receiving TV would take this signal through it's coaxial input (channel 3 most likely).. so this way, you could be watching regular digital cable (on one of your "INPUT" channels) and all you have to do is put it on channel 3 to view who just rang your doorbell

Anybody see any problems/limitations with the above setup?
post #22 of 29 Old 08-17-2007, 12:03 AM

What I dont get is if you are going to use LAN and MCE Extenders, why not just buy IP Cameras that way you can view them directly through your extenders, and use a cheap automation product to make recordings or whatever when motion is detected?
post #23 of 29 Old 08-17-2007, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Can't go that route, because of the prewiring at the 4 locations (all 4 locations have RG6 cable, but only 2 of the locations have a cat5 cable). So it will have to be 4 cameras that accept coax connections.
post #24 of 29 Old 08-17-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:

So...
- Add that PC to the home LAN and access it's video server via http with MCE extenders or an HTPC.

Quote:

So...
- Have the DVR PC also output through coax (RG6) and then split that signal to as many locations as needed. The receiving TV would take this signal through it's coaxial input (channel 3 most likely)..

Not quite what I was saying but it might work. I'm saying all standalone DVR have a monitor out and I believe the DVR cards should have Composite Video Out as well (yellow rca or a bnc).

You could use that signal with a channel injector to view on any t.v. channel OR
You could use that signal as an Aux In on your MCE and use media center extenders tuned into that Aux In OR
You could put that signal into your AV/Reciever and watch it on any hooked up display or go straight into a TV OR
You can do all 3 with a simple distribution amplifier.

The DVR software will have some way to watch on the local computer as well as review tape, etc. Some DVR software (and all of my dedicated DVR) let you view/control/replay over http with a regualar web browner or a proprietary network client but these often require you authenticating against the DVR.

For a quick peak at who's at your front door I'd use the live video feed and not use a web browser or client software where you'd have to login. For a quick peak the channel injector is best and you might want to only inject the front door camera and not all 4 cameras in a split screen.
post #25 of 29 Old 09-14-2007, 01:58 PM

Robertmee,

I'm trying to duplicate your setup, which application is needed at the PC that will allow me to browse to the cameras remotely?

...Rohit
post #26 of 29 Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM

All CCTV cameras are PAL for direct use with a standard TV / VCR or video RCA monitor.The the most fundamental way to connect multiple cameras to a single TV, monitor or recording device.
post #27 of 29 Old 07-25-2011, 06:24 PM

I have a new LG tv and I need to have at least a four split screen for a high school broadcast program. Can I buy something to do that or run it through a computer or do I have to buy a completely different tv. I saw all of the professional advise here and assumed someone could help me. Simple terms please and if possible links to where I might find a good reliable place to get a quick fix up. Thabks for any of your help. The kids appreciate it.
post #28 of 29 Old 07-25-2011, 08:27 PM

noonO
A couple of questions ....
Are there phone jacks located where any of your CATV Jacks are ? Any chance you have a structured wiring panel so all of your phone and CATV cables are home ran there instead to the exterior side of the house ?? Even if all the phone wires were ran to the side / exterior of the house, do you see a wire there for every phone within your home? Is there a phone jack near where your CCTV Camera cables were ran ???

Might be possible to not only get a composite signal to your TV/ TV's from the DVR, but IR control as well. It is nice to not only be able to see the split screen, but be able to bring any one of the cameras to full screen at times. Most stand alone DVR's even allow you to digitally zoom in on sections of each cameras image.

Forest_fire911
You would need to utilize a Multiplexer which will take multiple composite video signals and combine them onto one screen. They are typical for older CCTV installations where several cameras needed to be recorded by a single Time Laps VCR recorder.
With those old recorders being replaced by DVR's over recent years, there are a ton of used ones out on the market / FleaBay

"if you can't find the answer to life, change your questions"
post #29 of 29 Old 08-03-2011, 01:58 PM

Just to give you another option, I am running a Logitech Alert system.
I would advise using the 3rd party Blue Iris software (http://blueirissoftware.com) as an alternative to the stock Logitech software.

The outdoor system is very rugged and has worked well for me so far.

-Mike
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page