Old 01-25-2008, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still thinking about this...

My AP, has the following connection schematic:

So I'll pick up a few 3.5 to dual female RCA adapters tomorrow and strip 'em, but what I'm a bit confused about it, is what wire to use for the "loops" that patch between the terminals (the "U-shaped" pieces).

What should I use for those..?

TIA Fellas...

the sticky is about my crappy blues pickin'...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickyfingers View Post

Still thinking about this...

My AP, has the following connection schematic:

So I'll pick up a few 3.5 to dual female RCA adapters tomorrow and strip 'em, but what I'm a bit confused about it, is what wire to use for the "loops" that patch between the terminals (the "U-shaped" pieces).

What should I use for those..?

TIA Fellas...

Anything really...You can use the same RCA cable, just cut some pieces off the end before you strip them.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Robert.

(That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to botch it...)

Cheers.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Yet another question...

Do some of the 3.5 to dual female RCA connectors have solid wire once you strip 'em, or are they all stranded.

I feel like Sisyphus trying to wind _four_ sets of thinly stranded copper tight enough to fit into one of the binding terminals (you'll see that the inputs on the AP diagram I posted have both sleeves and both jumpers connecting into the ground).

Am I missing something, or are all ya'll just bad ass strand weavers..?

TIA

Old 01-26-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine were stranded too....A little patience goes a long ways
Old 01-26-2008, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post

Mine were stranded too....A little patience goes a long ways

I'm so d@mn impatient it's bleeding into my posts eh..?

Thanks Robert.

(I ended up grabbing some old Cat5 and using the solid there for my jumpers...)

[ETA: So I just finished my first set, and, voila! It passes the analog audio just fine. I'm tickled. I also noticed, when comparing the wiring diagrams, the AP uses the same wiring for input and output, so when I sit down to makeup the other ten, I can just go to my happy zen zone and bang 'em out]

Cheers.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

My model is the Extron Crosspoint 88HV.....no luck with digital audio over the H or V connections for me.

I know a couple of people that use Extron do have digital audio working but Im not sure any of those switches are Crosspoints.

Since I moved back to digital audio, I have a Crosspoint 128HVA that will be going on ebay soon, if you need analog audio this has all the RCA connections wired up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post

I believe, but don't quote me on this, that the problem may be the input impedance of the Sync ports. On some Crosspoints and all Crosspoint Plusses, they are switchable between 510 ohm and 75 ohm. SPIDF audio requires 75 ohms. If you have a model where the input impedance is 510 ohm then it probably won't work. But I'm no audio engineer so this is all supposition. Other than that it should work. The Sync ports pass signals in the range of 5V and SPIDF is 0 to 1V, so the amplitude is not a problem. The rise/fall time is around 6ns, so again, that shouldn't be a problem for passing Digital Audio. The only thing I can think of then is the impedance issue.

Quote:

There are dip switches on the back of my crosspoint and I made sure they where set to 75 ohm.

Quote:

I actually did that

There are only 4 dip switches label 1 2 3 4...I assume that means only the first 4 connections have the ability to switch. Anyways, no luck with anything I tried, I even opened it up and looked inside for kicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyournot View Post

Hmmm ... check out the product specs:

Crosspoint 88 (Retired product)

For 84, 88, 124, 128 models, the impedance for all sync inputs is 510 ohms
For 168/1616 models, the impedance for sync inputs 1, 3, 5, 7 are switchable between 75 or 510 ohms; the impedance for sync inputs 2, 4, 6, 8 and 9 through 16 is 510 ohms

Crosspoint 300 88 (Current product)

The impedance for inputs 1-4 are switchable between 75 or 510 ohms
The impedance for inputs 5 through 8 (or 12 or 16) is 510 ohms

If you've got four dip switches, it sounds like you've got the Crosspoint 300 88HV. Seems like the impedance should be fine for inputs 1-4, at least based on robertmee's post (though he did ask not to be quoted ).

Anyway, I'm sorry it's not working for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyournot View Post

And their FAQ says:

I think this was what initially led me to believe they could pass digital audio, but as I'm reading it again I realize they only specify the RGB inputs - not the sync channels.

I honestly don't know what this means, but somehow it sounds significant. What's a TTL type signal? And would a digital audio signal be sufficiently similar to pass on the sync channels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_pirate View Post

just as FYI, my crosspoint 300 HVA does pass digital audio on HV ports.
It actually does it for ALL inputs and outputs. I have a 12X8, and was able to switch ALL carry digital coax audio successfully. Extron told me it couldn't be done, i guess they just didn't want me to. It didn't work at first for me either, i switched the dipswitches to 75ohms still didn't work. I actually checked my ends (BNC and RCA ends on other end of RG6 cable). i think you have to use RG6. Once i redid the ends and made sure connected firmly, worked great! Surprised to see it work on ALL inputs and outputs opposed to just the first 4 or each.

Quote:

my crosspoint 300 HV 8x8 has never done digital audio...I picked up a crosspoint 50 to switch the digital audio.

These posts are pretty old, and I'm hoping these posters subscribe to this thread.

Anyway, I'm looking at the Extron Crosspoints since that's what's mostly on eBay right now and need to know if only the first four (switchable) HV inputs can be used for digital audio or if ANY of the HV inputs can be used.

I sent an email to Extron asking about using the HV Sync inputs for digital audio, with particular interest in the what could be done with the 510 ohm non-switchable inputs. They told me you cannot send digital audio over any of the HV inputs. They did say that digital audio could be sent over RGB inputs.

The experiences quoted in the above posts are all over the place with some (penngray) saying they can't pass digital audio over the HV and one (da_pirate) saying he could pass digial audio over all the HV inputs, even the 510 ohm ones.

So ... in the time that has passed since this thread was active, what have you guys figured out?

It wouldn't be too bad to have maybe something like a 12x8 unit and use two RGB inputs and two RGB outputs to send digital audio to one location.

Maybe one RGB triplet (input/output) pair could send digital audio from THREE sources to THREE locations (assuming that only one Rin-Rout, Gin-Gout, or Bin-Bout would be used for a single source/location. I realize that they couldn't be three different locations at the same time, because they are not individually switchable. I think I've seen a post by Robertmee that says some of the other Extron's actually switch RGB individually.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:07 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It depends. Some are able to and some aren't. I'm not sure about the crosspoint series or the crosspoint plus.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
(a bunch of good reference links and material in first 15 posts)
Old 01-23-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:

The Sync ports pass signals in the range of 5V and SPIDF is 0 to 1V, so the amplitude is not a problem.

if the sync crosspoints are TTL only, inputting a 1V p-p signal won't work. the SPDIF signal will never reach the switching threshold of the gate, the output will always be zero.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by samyournot
Hmmm ... check out the product specs:

Crosspoint 88 (Retired product)
For 84, 88, 124, 128 models, the impedance for all sync inputs is 510 ohms
For 168/1616 models, the impedance for sync inputs 1, 3, 5, 7 are switchable between 75 or 510 ohms; the impedance for sync inputs 2, 4, 6, 8 and 9 through 16 is 510 ohms

Just to clarify something. There are indeed Extron Crosspoint 84, 88, 124 and 128 models that DO have sync termination switches that allow inputs 1, 3, 5 & 7 to be switchable between 75 and 510 ohms. There are for sale on eBay all of the time. I was puzzled, given the manual posted on their website for the Crosspoint says that those models do not have those sync termination switches. I confirmed with Extron their manual was never updated to reflect this change. Originally these models did not have these switches, but they were added towards the very end of the production of the Crosspoint series.

Also, you will notice that some Crosspoints have a 'soft power' button (this is what they called) on the front of the unit. Extron told me that they have no electronic documentation for units with this power button. However, 'Robertmee' posted a note on here a while back stating Crosspoints with the power button on the front do not use the (easier-to-understand) SIS protocol that is used in the Crosspoint units without the power button (and all later Crosspoint units). Edit: Robertmee reports below, in post #103, that the protocol on this first generation Crosspoint unit is not like the Extron Matrix 100 & 200 units nor is it like the SIS protocol used in Crosspoints without the power button.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

So the Sync inputs that can be switched to 75 ohm can be used for digital audio? What use are 510 ohm only inputs?
Old 01-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

I am going to answer your question in a very long-winded way.

By no means am I an expert on this (hey you real experts on here, please comment!), but I've done a ton of research and here is more information than you probably want to know about digital audio and these Extron matrix switches. But, I thought I'd post it all here as some people might want to have a complete and more technical understanding of this.

Extron provided the functionality on some of their matrix switches to be able to set the impedance (the relationship between voltage and current which a device is capable of accepting or delivering) on the H and V ports to either 510 ohms or 75 ohms by setting dip switches on the back of the unit. (And, note again, Extron has told me that their manual was never updated to reflect the fact that even the 84, 88, 124 and 128 Crosspoints can have dip switches on the back. Also, any Crosspoint with a power button on the front will not have dip switches on the back.)

Why do they have these dip switches? Because the H and V ports are used to pass a signal that synchronizes the video signals so that the picture does not roll vertically (V) and tear horizontally (H). The signals that do the syncing and that are passed through these H and V ports can be of two different types - either TTL sync signals or non-TTL (Transistor to Transistor Logic, a communications protocol technology developed by Texas Instruments years ago, typically used for very short distances between IC chips on a PC board). Since TTL sync signals have an impedance of 510 ohms and non-TTL are 75 ohms, you have to set the impedance accordingly.

Now, digital audio, also known as SPDIF (Sony Phillips Digital Interface Format) signal requires an impedance of 75 ohms. It just happens that on Extrons with dip switches (which they refer to as sync termination switches in their manual) on the back of the unit, you can set the impedance on the H and V ports to either 510 ohms or 75 ohms - the same impedance required for digital audio! Voila, although Extron never designed the ports to carry digital audio, they should have this added benefit.

I say should because it appears some people, like Penngray, above, have not been able to achieve this on their Extron switch with the dip switches set to 75 ohms, while others have been able to. Maybe Penngray's switch itself is defective, the dip switches are defective or there is something wrong with the connectors. Who knows. Then we have the other extreme of da_pirate who has been able to carry digital audio on all ports even if they can't be set to 75 ohms. That just seems really weird to me as technically it should not be possible. It just doesn't make any sense and I sure wouldn't buy an Extron expecting that to work for you.

With the digital audio passed on either the H or V port, you pass the component video signals through the R, G & B ports, all bank by bank. As the ports are switched bank by bank, not port by port, you cannot use one H port to send digital audio to one location and the V port to another digital audio signal to another location at the same time (except for the Extron Matrix 100 and 200 as all of the ports on these models, including the sync ports, are actually individually switchable).

Alternatively, I guess you could use the R, G and B ports on one bank to pass the component video signals and then one of the R, G or B ports (which are 75 ohms) on another bank to pass the digital audio signal that corresponds to these component video signals, with all signals going to the same location. But then that would use one entire bank of precious input ports and output ports just to pass one digital audio signal, with the other ports on that bank remaining unused.

If anyone has anything to correct or add to this post I would appreciate it.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonibm View Post

Also, you will notice that some Crosspoints have a 'soft power' button (this is what they called) on the front of the unit. Extron told me that they have no electronic documentation for units with this power button. However, 'Robertmee' posted a note on here a while back stating Crosspoints with the power button on the front do not use the (easier-to-understand) SIS protocol that is used in the Crosspoint units without the power button (and all later Crosspoint units). I think this unit uses the protocol used in the Extron Matrix 100 & 200 units.

I have a pdf that Extron sent me on the early Crosspoint. They had to dig it out of their archives. The protocol is not like the 100/200 units. It is a precursor to the SIS protocol. Subtle differences that make creating a like driver cumbersome, but it is close to the SIS protocol. Stupid differences like responses in ALL caps vs upper/lower case combos. It's almost like a prototype SIS.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By no means am I an expert on this (hey you real experts on here, please comment!), but I've done a ton of research and here is more information than you probably want to know about digital audio and these Extron matrix switches. But, I thought I'd post it all here as some people might want to have a complete and more technical understanding of this.

Extron provided the functionality on some of their matrix switches to be able to set the impedance (the relationship between voltage and current which a device is capable of accepting or delivering) on the H and V ports to either 510 ohms or 75 ohms by setting dip switches on the back of the unit. (And, note again, Extron has told me that their manual was never updated to reflect the fact that even the 84, 88, 124 and 128 Crosspoints can have dip switches on the back. Also, any Crosspoint with a power button on the front will not have dip switches on the back.)

Why do they have these dip switches? Because the H and V ports are used to pass a signal that synchronizes the video signals so that the picture does not roll vertically (V) and tear horizontally (H). The signals that do the syncing and that are passed through these H and V ports can be of two different types - either TTL sync signals or non-TTL (Transistor to Transistor Logic, a communications protocol technology developed by Texas Instruments years ago, typically used for very short distances between IC chips on a PC board). Since TTL sync signals have an impedance of 510 ohms and non-TTL are 75 ohms, you have to set the impedance accordingly.

Now, digital audio, also known as SPDIF (Sony Phillips Digital Interface Format) signal requires an impedance of 75 ohms. It just happens that on Extrons with dip switches (which they refer to as sync termination switches in their manual) on the back of the unit, you can set the impedance on the H and V ports to either 510 ohms or 75 ohms - the same impedance required for digital audio! Voila, although Extron never designed the ports to carry digital audio, they should have this added benefit.

I say should because it appears some people, like Penngray, above, have not been able to achieve this on their Extron switch with the dip switches set to 75 ohms, while others have been able to. Maybe Penngray's switch itself is defective, the dip switches are defective or there is something wrong with the connectors. Who knows. Then we have the other extreme of da_pirate who has been able to carry digital audio on all ports even if they can't be set to 510 ohms. That just seems really weird to me as technically it should not be possible. It just doesn't make any sense and I sure wouldn't buy an Extron expecting that to work for you.

With the digital audio passed on either the H or V port, you pass the component video signals through the R, G & B ports, all bank by bank. So you can't use one H port to send digital audio to one location and the V port to another digital audio signal to another location at the same time (except for the Extron Matrix 100 and 200 as all of the ports on these models, including the sync ports, are actually individually switchable).

Alternatively, I guess you could pass use the R, G and B ports on one bank to pass the component video signals and then one of the R, G or B ports (which are 75 ohms) on another bank to pass the digital audio signal that corresponds to these component video signals, with all signals going to the same location. But then that would use one entire bank of precious input ports and output ports just to pass one digital signal, with the other ports on that bank remaining unused.

Excellent summary
Old 01-26-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I say should because it appears some people, like Penngray, above, have not been able to achieve this on their Extron switch with the dip switches set to 75 ohms, while others have been able to. Maybe Penngray's switch itself is defective, the dip switches are defective or there is something wrong with the connectors. Who knows. Then we have the other extreme of da_pirate who has been able to carry digital audio on all ports even if they can't be set to 75 ohms. That just seems really weird to me as technically it should not be possible. It just doesn't make any sense and I sure wouldn't buy an Extron expecting that to work for you.

With the digital audio passed on either the H or V port, you pass the component video signals through the R, G & B ports, all bank by bank. As the ports are switched bank by bank, not port by port, you cannot use one H port to send digital audio to one location and the V port to another digital audio signal to another location at the same time (except for the Extron Matrix 100 and 200 as all of the ports on these models, including the sync ports, are actually individually switchable).

Alternatively, I guess you could use the R, G and B ports on one bank to pass the component video signals and then one of the R, G or B ports (which are 75 ohms) on another bank to pass the digital audio signal that corresponds to these component video signals, with all signals going to the same location. But then that would use one entire bank of precious input ports and output ports just to pass one digital audio signal, with the other ports on that bank remaining unused.

Thank you for this summary. Your points are pretty much what I suspected from the various posts, and it is very reassuring to see people like you and robertmee confirming this.

From what I find in the specs for all these units, only FOUR of the Sync inputs will have the 75/510 dip switches if the unit has the dip switches at all. This would mean that only four sources could be used for digital audio, regardless of how many inputs the unit might have (8,12,16, etc). (Nothwithstanding experiences like da_pirate quotes.)

I wish more people would chime in with their experience using these HV ports with and without switchable 75ohm/510ohm inputs.

Also, regarding the various models of matrix switches made by Extron, the 3200/6400 models look interesting. If you look at a closeup of the back the way the inputs and outputs are displayed makes me think that each input and output can be separately controlled, as is the case with the 100/200 series switches. I don't suppose anybody has experience with one of these?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

If you read the 3200/6400 manual, it appears that you can assign the inputs/outputs by themselves or in groups of what are called virtual inputs and virtual outputs. In otherwords, you can setup a Virtual Input to be connections 1, 2 and 3 for (RGB) and the same for the Output. Then you just need to issue a single Virtual Input/Output assignment of RGB1. Or, you can operate on physical inputs/outputs and assign Input 1 (R) to Output 1 and Input 2 (G) to Output 3 if you wanted. The protocol appears to support both these operations.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:36 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

I have several 3200's and have had a couple of the 6400's. You can route each input and output individually. The do, however, come in several flavors- audio with captive screw terminals, sync with BNC terminals, and wideband with BNC terminals. The wideband units can handle just about any analog video signal as well as digital coaxial audio. I'm not sure if the sync's can pass digital audio or not.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
Old 01-26-2009, 01:38 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Also, you might want to take a look at Autopatch. Most of those are individually routable and I haven't found one yet where the sync didn't pass digital audio.

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
Old 01-26-2009, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO View Post

I have several 3200's and have had a couple of the 6400's. You can route each input and output individually. The do, however, come in several flavors- audio with captive screw terminals, sync with BNC terminals, and wideband with BNC terminals. The wideband units can handle just about any analog video signal as well as digital coaxial audio. I'm not sure if the sync's can pass digital audio or not.

CJ

I find the "low resolution" and "wideband" versions for the 3200.
The 6400 has the same plus an audio version.
I can't see one that is only for Sync

unless ....

Looking at the 3200 but it's called "wideband"

http://www.extron.com/product/produc...00&subtype=140

the first 16 inputs are switchable (dip switches) between 75 ohm and 510 ohm; the rest are 510 ohm only. That switchability in all other Extron matrix switches is for the Sync inputs only. What use would inputs 17 and up with 510 ohm be?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

I find the "low resolution" and "wideband" versions for the 3200.

I don't know if you are considering either the 3200 low resolution or the wideband but it appears that the low resolution version, which is (in the worst case) 150MHz, is probably sufficient for switching HD video signals, as many on here are using the Matrix 100, which is 175MHz, to switch HD video. Anyone have a comment on whether 150MHz is sufficient?

Quote:

The 6400 has the same plus an audio version.
I can't see one that is only for Sync

unless ....

Looking at the 3200 but it's called "wideband"

http://www.extron.com/product/produc...00&subtype=140

the first 16 inputs are switchable (dip switches) between 75 ohm and 510 ohm; the rest are 510 ohm only. That switchability in all other Extron matrix switches is for the Sync inputs only. What use would inputs 17 and up with 510 ohm be?

Sync Ports 17-64 being only 510 ohm restricts their use to TTL sync signals only (or any other signal which requires that impedance level). Likely they did not make them switchable between 75 and 510 ohms because TTL sync signals are the most common and providing the switching functionality for more ports would increase the cost of the unit

I am curious as to why you are looking at purchasing a 3200 given that it is a current model and is going to be orders of magnitude way more expensive than either of the discontinued Matrix 100/200, Crosspoint, Crosspoint Plus, Crosspoint 300 or Crosspoint 450 models, which are readily available on eBay and which are all suitable for switching HD video and (if you get the right versions) digital and analog audio?
Old 01-27-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am curious as to why you are looking at purchasing a 3200 given that it is a current model and is going to be orders of magnitude way more expensive than either of the discontinued Matrix 100/200, Crosspoint, Crosspoint Plus, Crosspoint 300 or Crosspoint 450 models, which are readily available on eBay and which are all suitable for switching HD video and (if you get the right versions) digital and analog audio?

Thank you eonibm for your information. The only reason I am asking about the 3200 is that there are a couple of them on eBay. I'm just learning, really, about all of these matrix switches. I am looking at all of the options you have listed but it isn't easy to figure out which ones are "the right versions".

I haven't seen any 100/200 models for sale in the couple of weeks I've been working on this aspect of my distribution solution. There may have been one, early on but it was pricey and I wasn't confident enough to buy it. I'm still not confident enough to buy any of them, actually ... unless perhaps it looks like a great price. These are especially appealing because the inputs and outputs can be individually controlled (as is the case with the 3200/6400 units, as far as I can tell) thus not wasting any.

The crosspoints that have 75ohm/510ohm switchable Sync (H,V) inputs only have 4 of these; the rest are all 510 ohm. The 3200 has 16 (75/510)switchable inputs, but I don't know if I can use the other 16 inputs at all (since I don't really know about TTL), and a TOTAL of 16 is more like a total of only 4 source inputs (RGBV x 4.) Then there is some doubt as to whether even the crosspoints with 75ohm Sync inputs can all handle digital audio (penngray) or whether 510ohm Sync inputs can handle digital audio (da_pirate, who confirmed that yes indeed all of his Sync inputs handle digital audio!)

I do realize that except for instances where I want surround sound (DVD/Blu-ray/DVR) I would only want analog audio, and that the 3200 doesn't do analog. There is a separate (6400, I believe) box for that, or even other solutions, however I wonder about AV sync issues going through two boxes.

These 3200 units prices may shoot up. I'm watching.

My current thinking is to wait for a 100/200, or go for a higher bandwidth crosspoint with audio, 12 inputs at a minimum, the dips for the Sync input 75/510, and take my chances. With the extra inputs (i.e., >= 12 total), I can always use a whole bank for digital audio if 4 isn't enough. Presently I only have 3 sources that I would want to send digital audio to my surround sound setup, and even that is assuming I can, or will be able to, do this with my Blu-ray player.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:42 PM
CJO
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you eonibm for your information. The only reason I am asking about the 3200 is that there are a couple of them on eBay.

I was going to bid on those They are local and I have been dealing with the company selling those for about a year now. I had offered to buy there whole stock, but we were not able to come to an acceptable price. One big hitch is that the units did not have all the cards in them and they were unwilling to let me pull cards from other units to make them whole, even after I had purchased one with the understanding that it had all of the cards. This time I was going to bid and pay in person so that I could make sure that I was getting what was actually advertised!

CJ

coneilliv at aol dot com

The Dark Knight Theater
Old 01-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The crosspoints that have 75ohm/510ohm switchable Sync (H,V) inputs only have 4 of these; the rest are all 510 ohm. The 3200 has 16 (75/510)switchable inputs, but I don't know if I can use the other 16 inputs at all (since I don't really know about TTL), and a TOTAL of 16 is more like a total of only 4 source inputs (RGBV x 4.) Then there is some doubt as to whether even the crosspoints with 75ohm Sync inputs can all handle digital audio (penngray) or whether 510ohm Sync inputs can handle digital audio (da_pirate, who confirmed that yes indeed all of his Sync inputs handle digital audio!)

The 75 ohm sync inputs will normally handle digital audio. Many people have reported they have had no problem with digital audio on these ports at 75 ohms. Penngray's unit was likely defective in that respect. There are probably other reasons why he wasn't able to do it.

The 510 ohm sync inputs do not handle digital audio. Only single person has ever reported that they have been able to switch digital audio on such a port. So it must be something very peculiar to that particular unit, as if you know anything about digital audio, you shouldn't be able to do it.

If you buy an Extron switch that has sync ports that can be set to 75 ohms and have analog L/R audio ports then you have pretty well everything you want, regardless of whether the ports are individually switchable or not. Just use each bank of inputs for your combined component video and audio. Digital or analog audio on some of them, only analog on the rest.

Why do you want digital audio on every single bank of ports? It really is only important on one that connects to your home theatre. Otherwise L/R audio is fine for rooms in your house that have HDTVs.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 75 ohm sync inputs will normally handle digital audio. Many people have reported they have had no problem with digital audio on these ports at 75 ohms. Penngray's unit was likely defective in that respect. There are probably other reasons why he wasn't able to do it.

The 510 ohm sync inputs do not handle digital audio. Only single person has ever reported that they have been able to switch digital audio on such a port. So it must be something very peculiar to that particular unit, as if you know anything about digital audio, you shouldn't be able to do it.

If you buy an Extron switch that has sync ports that can be set to 75 ohms and have analog L/R audio ports then you have pretty well everything you want, regardless of whether the ports are individually switchable or not. Just use each bank of inputs for your combined component video and audio. Digital or analog audio on some of them, only analog on the rest.

Why do you want digital audio on every single bank of ports? It really is only important on one that connects to your home theatre. Otherwise L/R audio is fine for rooms in your house that have HDTVs.

Maybe only one output connects to my HT. But these are inputs, I need digital audio for each input device that can send surround sound. I have 2 DVRs and 1 Blu-ray. So, already that is three used up. Add a HTPC and that's all four used up, and from what I read in these forums, you never have enough. OH! I forgot. I have AppleTV. So even before I get one I need four digital audio inputs. No room for expansion.

I realize that I could run the higher end stuff locally in the HT, and I could always use my AVR's inputs to distribute a single audio output. So I guess there are ways around the limitations.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, as luck would have it I found a 200. And bought it.

Anybody know where to get the manual?

EDIT: NM, found it
Old 01-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, as luck would have it I found a 200. And bought it.

Anybody know where to get the manual?

EDIT: NM, found it

Where did you get the 200 and how much did you end up paying?
Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where did you get the 200 and how much did you end up paying?

$195 ebay Buy it Now
Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Well let us know how it goes, especially with the sync ports.

I missed that one. I am trying to get a Crosspoint/Plus/300/450 88, 128 or 1212 HVA with dip switches. I'd get the Matrix 100/200 but I'd rather have the simpler SIS protocol as I'll be operating it with an IR remote and IR-to-RS232 converter box.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

$195 ebay Buy it Now

Excellent price on a 200....Congrats.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks eonibm. I Will report back. I'm not sure actually what the modules in the 200 are, although from the pic of the back it looks like the right thing: RGBHV and analog audio. I figured that for this price it was worth taking a chance.

I guess the modules can be switched/upgraded, but I have no idea how easy they are to find or if Extron still sells them.

Now you got me worried about a harder to use control protocol.

Dumb question: What wires do I run for this? Minicoax? or cat5e/6 with baluns?

Thanks robertmee. I was kind of surprised by the BIN price. Hopefully it isn't the old "you get what you pay for" rule that I kind of ignored.

Do you have a reference for this control protocol this unit uses? I DL the manual but haven't looked at it yet ... could be in there.