NuVo Music Server vs. CasaTools - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-11-2007, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have any feedback on one solution over the other for digital music into a NuVo GC system?

M3 would be fully integrated with 3 outputs, etc, etc. Though it seems a bit spendy for what it is doing and the size of the hard drive.

CasaTools would utilize my PC (with hard drive to spare) and really the only other expenditure needed would be an audio card to handle multiple simultaneous outputs, right?

Any thoughts or experiences on one over the other, drawbacks or pitfalls that I haven't considered?

Thanks for the advice and support, you guys are the greatest.

On a side note, I am looking for in-ceiling speaker advice if anyone has thoughts there. Are NuVo's Accent 1 or 2's as good as their equipment? Any other brand I should be considering? I am on a budget, but want to buy a good one once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-11-2007, 03:14 PM

I haven't done much testing with the M3 so far but it does what I need (mainly 3 sources) with full file description quite well. The integration between keypad and M3 is really really good imo, I can't picture how software products like casatools would be able to compete in the same scenario.

Right now I'm using 5 of the 6 sources (3 for the M3, 2 for the T2) and the last one is sort of like an all-purpose utility source in. Sometimes I connect my laptop as a source, othertimes my TV, etc...

How do you change tracks during playback with casatools? can you use the keypad? or do you have to go to your computer that has casatools and change it there? if it's the latter why would you even bother? I mean you can just use winamp, wm player, or any other mp3 player and broadcast it as a single source.

A lot of people on this board won't like what I'm going to say, but I purchased my in ceiling gear from outdoorspeakerdepot.com and had no issues whatsoever. Their prices are cheap, and shipment & feedback was impressive (within 1 hour turn around time). Some guys here say their products are cheap but I look at the items and it's all brand name stuff. I bought 8" Pheonix Gold ATC8's at $85 a pair, compared to Radio Shack $220 for the same. These speakers are going to be used as background speakers not home theater and they are excellent in their function so I see no problems in saving some money.

Oh and one more opinion (you prolly heard enough outta me ;-) ) go with 8" if you can - I didn't like the sound of the smaller 6" speakers at all.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-11-2007, 08:38 PM

I was curious regarding CasaTools, and downloaded the trial version. It works as advertised and looks nice on the PC, but the interface for navigating from the GrandConcerto keypads is just painful. Fairly slow and you can only see 3 or 4 line items at a time. I assume the M3 server uses the smaller font menus where there are ~8 lines of text.

I would suggest downloading CasaTools and giving it a try.

Nishan
post #4 of 4 Old 09-13-2007, 01:03 PM

I have the M3 server. The downside is the limitations on digital music from Itunes etc... For that I bought the dock. If you want to start out cheap just buy the largest IPOD and the dock and you will be set for a while. The only issue is that if you have mulitiple user there is only one source.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page