What the hell is going on with my HDMI cables - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-16-2007, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is crazy. Check this out.

I have a 2.5" conduit running in the ceiling from my equipment room to my projector mount. Through this I have a 30' HDMI cable of decent quality and a CAT5 wire as a pull. I first ran the HDMI during contruction and upon completion of the drywall and painting, began using the projector with the cable with no problems. After about 6 weeks, the picture started flickering and the HDCP would not work between the cable box and the projector. I tested the HDMI cable... the cable had gone bad. So I pulled it out of the conduit and put a new one in. Sure enough the new cable worked fine and everything was back to normal.
Now after about 3-4 weeks the new cable has also gone bad!! What the heck could be causing these cables to go bad. Any Ideas?

I am mentally challenging you...so consider yourself mentally challenged

XboxLive Gamertag: SteelDr JJ

My Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-16-2007, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When you stated you tested the cable. Did you do so by trying different sources with HDMI outputs feeding the projector, or with an HDMI Tester or pin to pin continuity test ?

Also, when you state "decent quality" cable, who is the manufacturer?

HDMI cables were originally designed to run up to lengths of around 10 feet. Many manufacturers promote that through better construction and larger conductors, their cables can far exceed that. With most of the major manufacturers, I would have some faith in their claims. With many of the generic cables out there as seen on many ebay auctions, I would have my doubts, though the promote their cables as Premium Quality.

"if you can't find the answer to life, change your questions"
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page