Cam's Whole House AV and Automation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 11-04-2007, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This thread could fit in either the AV dist. section or the Automation section. I have been very active in the Home Theater Construction area but have not yet done anything in this portion of the forums. I am re-doing my house since it got hit by a tornado in April of 06. The build has been slow... but it is almost time to move in. I finished structured wiring for the house. I wired for:
1. An AVAtrix feed to every room
2. An off-air antenna feed to every room
3. Hole house audio (CAV 6.6 or similar) w/ control panels in all rooms.
3. Mic/Speaker in each room for automation.
4. Standard Structured Wiring in all rooms (2 cat6, 2 RG6, and multimode fiber) also 1 or 2 cat5e per room for phone, etc.
5. Touchscreens in all rooms (UTMA in-wall)
6. Alarm sensors on exterior doors and windows, plus glass break sensors, water leak sensors, garage door sensor, doorbell sensor, phone sensor, and smoke/co alarms tied in to the panel.
7. Electric door strikes on front door and door to house from garage.
8. Proximity card access for unlocking doors.
9. 4 exterior security cameras and 4 interior cameras tied in to IP ready DVR.
10. Dedicated wiring for several satellite dishes (Dish Network, C-Band, and KU Band FTA)
11. Conduit for future expansion.
12. Tornado saferoom wired for AV and exterior antennas.

The HT will have all the above A/V connections...plus dedicated 7.1 surround, and independent A/V connections.

The house will be controlled by an ELK M-1 / MainLobby configuration.
All light switches will be UPB.
All video/audio,computer, etc. equipment will be in a 6 foot rack.
Other items will be mounted on the plywood wall.

So lets just say I pulled ALOT of cable.

I won't be able to buy everything at once, but I have the wiring in place for when I make the purchases :-)

Here is a pic of the equipment room (and cable pull) where the brains of the house will be. Excuse the mess... I have not trimmed the wire yet.

Elk Panel:

Flat panel connections in all rooms are like this:

The rear of the house has a pole for satellite dishes, etc.

Here is the home theater room so far:

...and looking back to the riser and the edit bay:

Projector connections:

UNL-12 Electric Doorstrikes:

Saferoom Entrance:

I have been concentrating mostly on my theater... and the above ideas for equipment were drafted several months ago. So if anyone has other ideas for whole house AV other than an Avatrix and a CAV system...please share.
Thanks,
Cam

-Cam
Television Photojournalist, Video Producer, Voice Over Artist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LOGANED! 4-30-08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Keep us updated..

Looks like some good stuff going on there!

Sorry to hear about the tornado.

Click to view

Click to view
post #3 of 29 Old 11-04-2007, 08:26 PM

Liked: 10
do you plan on tying the prox head to the elk panel, and if so what prox head are you sing, and does elk understand wiegand, or do you need something else in between?
post #4 of 29 Old 11-04-2007, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using HID ThinLine II 5395. The units are wired to Wiegand proximity connections in the ELK M1-KP and the M1-KP is then wired to the panel. The UNL-12 doorstrikes are wired directly to the Elk panel and a separate power supply.

The ELK-M1KP is an addressable LCD Keypad for the M1 Cross Platform Controls. It features a 32 character back lighted display with adjustable intensity and extra large character fonts for ease of readability. The M1KP includes a plug-in connector on the back for adding an internal proximity reader (ELK-M1PR) or for interfacing to virtually any external 26 bit Wiegand compatible proximity reader. Proximity cards/fobs can be used for touchless arming, disarming, door strike control, etc.

ThinLine II 5395
125 kHz Proximity Wall Switch Reader
Providing performance and reliability, HID's attractive, unobtrusive ThinLine II proximity card reader is housed in a two-piece, weatherproof secure potted enclosure.

* The size of most standard U.S. switch plates.
* Wiegand interface.
* Potted reader suitable for indoor or outdoor use.
* Base part numbers: 5395 (Wiegand)

-Cam

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #5 of 29 Old 11-05-2007, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

So if anyone has other ideas for whole house AV other than an Avatrix and a CAV system...please share.

There are several threads of discussion on this.

Nuvo is a great alternative too Russound.

Extron video switches are an alternative to Avatrix, they are extremely cheap on ebay but the biggest difference is that you need to run coax for component video to every room (not a big deal in a new house though if you are running Cable already).

Have you thought of a HA package to control everything? I didnt read if you did.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #6 of 29 Old 11-05-2007, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

the biggest difference is that you need to run coax for component video to every room

Well, I have 3 RG6 Quad and 2 CAT5e running to each flat panel outlet. If I went coax for component... I would not be able to run an OTA or cable antenna outlet to each room. I'm already drywalled... but I did run smurftube so I guess I could run more RG6.

Quote:

Have you thought of a HA package to control everything? I didnt read if you did.

I was thinking Homeseer...but it seems like Mainlobby now has support for most of my planned devices...so I don't know if getting Homeseer would be overkill. It integrates with Mainlobby...but do I need it?

-Cam

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #7 of 29 Old 11-05-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

I would not be able to run an OTA or cable antenna outlet to each room. I'm already drywalled... but I did run smurftube so I guess I could run more RG6.

I wouldnt run any cable or OTA stuff to individual rooms myself. I would just put the cable boxes/OTA receivers in the AV closet and share them throughout the house.

Have you read about CQC (CharmedQuark), it controls everything you talk about and more. It competes with mainlobby and yes Im a CQC user.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #8 of 29 Old 11-10-2007, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Just another update...
The exterior of the house shows from left to right:
Heat/AC for garage, tankless water heater vent, power meter, phone, automatic transfer switch for future generator, main breaker box, HVAC.

Inside the garage this shows the Heat/AC unit. I may have to go w/ x10 or insteon to control this unit... I have not seen a 220v UPB switch yet. Let me know if you have seen one.
I also installed a tankless water heater. I'd like to hook this up to the home automation system so I can control the water temp. from the touchscreens.
The unit comes with a wired remote control for the temp....so I guess that is a starting point.

http://www.foreverhotwater.com/model-r85i.php

-Cam

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #9 of 29 Old 11-14-2007, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Cam,

Looks like things are progressing very nicely for you. I believe we spoke via phone a while back about your installation. I'm loving the theater.

Mario

post #10 of 29 Old 11-14-2007, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mario,
Thanks for the kind words.
Earlier in this thread I said:
Quote:

I was thinking Homeseer...but it seems like Mainlobby now has support for most of my planned devices...so I don't know if getting Homeseer would be overkill. It integrates with Mainlobby...but do I need it?

Looking over this thread... do you think I would need Homeseer in addition to Mainlobby for my configuration?
-Cam
Quote:

1. An AVAtrix feed to every room
2. An off-air antenna feed to every room
3. Hole house audio (CAV 6.6 or similar) w/ control panels in all rooms.
3. Mic/Speaker in each room for automation.
4. Standard Structured Wiring in all rooms (2 cat6, 2 RG6, and multimode fiber) also 1 or 2 cat5e per room for phone, etc.
5. Touchscreens in all rooms (UTMA in-wall)
6. Alarm sensors on exterior doors and windows, plus glass break sensors, water leak sensors, garage door sensor, doorbell sensor, phone sensor, and smoke/co alarms tied in to the panel.
7. Electric door strikes on front door and door to house from garage.
8. Proximity card access for unlocking doors.
9. 4 exterior security cameras and 4 interior cameras tied in to IP ready DVR.
10. Dedicated wiring for several satellite dishes (Dish Network, C-Band, and KU Band FTA)
11. Conduit for future expansion.
12. Tornado saferoom wired for AV and exterior antennas.

The HT will have all the above A/V connections...plus dedicated 7.1 surround, and independent A/V connections.

The house will be controlled by an ELK M-1 / MainLobby configuration.
All light switches will be UPB.

-Cam

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #11 of 29 Old 11-14-2007, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't see why you would need it. It looks like you can control everything directly from MainLobby/MLServer. We've had a ton of new updates recently that also greatly improves performance and scene transitions. A much better user experience.

Mario

post #12 of 29 Old 12-16-2007, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I took the plunge and ordered the HA software. I'm going to play around with it before I get in to the house.

MainLobby 3 & MLServer 3 (5 Client License) Combo

DVDLobby Pro 3.0 (Requires MainLobby/MainLobby Server)

WeatherLobby 3

UPB Device Driver

Elk M1 Plug-In for MLServer

also included as a bonus were
ML CallerID and GuiGraphix: Library0019

I may add the MusicLobby in the future and also the USBIR6 IR Transceiver.
I'm going to try and get the UPB and Elk M1 working first.
Also if anyone has a good deal on a Sony CX777ES ... let me know

All from the front-
Cam

P.S.
AARRGGG!!
I just order the MainLobby stuff and I see the AVS special on the IP Touch Screens that I was going to order later!

Almost half price! So I ordered 2
Why is it that things on this forum always make me spend money?!

-Cam

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #13 of 29 Old 12-16-2007, 08:58 PM

HAI is just releasing a 220 UPB switch. I was thinking about getting one for my water heater
post #14 of 29 Old 12-17-2007, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socorob View Post

HAI is just releasing a 220 UPB switch. I was thinking about getting one for my water heater

Could be good for many things.... I may look in to one for the heater in my garage.
-Cam

-Cam

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #15 of 29 Old 12-29-2007, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

I installed the Touchtronix UTMA touch panels (I will actually hook up the power and Cat5 later) in the walls. I have one in the living room and one at the top of the stairs. These will run MainLobby @ 1024x768 resolution. I will eventually put some more in the house and one in the theater. I may also just use a Monitor/Mouse/Keyboard and an N-Computing l-series box in some locations.

Touch panel out of the box.

Leveling the cutout.

ByeBye drywall.

Box inserted.

Panel inserted.

Finished product downstairs.

Finished product upstairs.

I plan on using a mix of these panels and some NComputing boxes hooked up to standard monitors.

-Cam

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #16 of 29 Old 12-30-2007, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Turned on one of the touchscreens for testing... here are the pics.

I checked with my multimeter and I have no voltage drop over the length of in-wall wire...so I ended up connecting the stock power supply in the equipment room...leaving me with a flush mount!

-Cam

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #17 of 29 Old 01-02-2008, 05:25 PM

That is a very nice setup looks go on the wall. I have been following your theater and automation build threads. Will have to watch for a nether sale and grab one our two.

Question for you have you decided on any handhelds I am looking at getting a Q1 for the theater. Just wondering if you have looked at any of them are just planning on hard wired only.

Todd

Goode family theater

post #18 of 29 Old 01-02-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Todd,
I was impressed w/ the build quality of the touchscreen units. Also Dwayne with Touchtronix seems to be a nice guy. He hangs out at http://www.cocoontech.com and Touchtronix also has started their own forum. Those would be a good place to look for deals if they come up.
As far as the wireless tablet... I have not looked in to models yet... but I do plan to get one. I will also be using an old second hand PDA hooked up to WIFI.
BTW your theater space looks great! Post some update pics!

-Cam

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #19 of 29 Old 01-03-2008, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Cam,

Nice pics. I love seeing how things come together! Turned out great.

Mario

post #20 of 29 Old 01-03-2008, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the info I looked after seeing your post can't believe its been over two mouths sense a update to my theater will take some pics tonight.

Todd

Goode family theater

post #21 of 29 Old 01-06-2008, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I did a little bit more today. I put a couple of shelves in the rack...and made a keyboard shelf (I will put in an actual sliding one later). I'm still waiting on my Dell server (running Ncomputing server and MainLobby Server/Client) to arrive. I will install the linux media server shortly.

On the touchscreen side... I bought a a Square-D pull out disconnect switch at Home Depot and gutted the enclosure. I mounted the 2 stock touchscreen power supplies on one of the TouchTronix provided mounting plates. The plate is the perfect size for this box. I can slide the plate in behind a couple of dimples on the sides of the enclosure and it fits snugly inside.

-Cam

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #22 of 29 Old 01-07-2008, 07:07 AM

Nice setup!

Sorry if I missed this. Do you plan on using the touchscreens to control the Elk and the Russound? I guess what I mean by this is will you install any other control devices? I have no experience with ML so I don't know the capabilities.

[edit]
I see you are using the elk keypad for alarm but still interested in knowing any other control points and if you're using the touchscreens for the Russound.
post #23 of 29 Old 01-09-2008, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinjmiller View Post

Nice setup!

Sorry if I missed this. Do you plan on using the touchscreens to control the Elk and the Russound? I guess what I mean by this is will you install any other control devices? I have no experience with ML so I don't know the capabilities.

[edit]
I see you are using the elk keypad for alarm but still interested in knowing any other control points and if you're using the touchscreens for the Russound.

Thanks!
I don't have the Russound unit yet, but, all rooms are wired for the actual CAV keypads. The touchscreen will be able to control the system as well...but I did not want to give up the hard buttons of the actual Russound controller.

Well... My automation server arrived from the Dell Outlet. It is a Vostro 200 series with 2GB ram, 320GB sata hd, Pentium Dual-Core Processor E2140 (1.60GHz, 1MB L2 Cache), Windows XP Pro, etc. etc. etc.

I have it hooked up and running NComputing and MainLobby/ML Server. I didn't have time for any programming...I just ran some generic screens.

While working on the system... the IP Touchpanels went in to screensaver mode! So I went to screen properties and changed the screensaver to the built in picture slideshow... it works! Digital picture frame mode

I'm now planning on letting these go to screensaver for a short time and then go to standby mode so the backlight will last a while.

-Cam

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #24 of 29 Old 01-11-2008, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Cam,

I noticed the lighting scene in your photos. Don't forget to click on a room of the floor plan once you are connected to the Cinemar MLServer. This will initialize a room selection and show a left navigation of sample lights to control. You can then repurpose this for your own home if you like.

Mario

post #25 of 29 Old 01-12-2008, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

I made a floor plan in Photoshop @ 1024x768. I have not done enough reading yet on how to integrate it into a Mainlobby scene. Mario... is there anything out of the ordinary that I have to do? I will be using it to show lighting, fans, garage door, HVAC, and alarm zones.

-Cam

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #26 of 29 Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Cam,

Cinemar offers a floorplan conversion to a custom library that integrates directly into MainLobby as Library Items. You can do it yourself though using tools like Flash/Photoshop. Just create movieclips that are the shape of each room so you can click on the exact room. Send an email me directly if you need pricing.

There is also a thread here on the forum that I believe dives into it a little bit.
http://www.cinemaronlineforums.com/f...r=asc&&start=0

In our designs, we removed the doors from the actual floorplan and then used our door library object in its place. It shows red when the door is open.

Hope that helps.

Mario

post #27 of 29 Old 01-16-2008, 12:47 AM

wow, I must have the wrong job... Very nice network and equipment.
post #28 of 29 Old 03-02-2008, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a video of the keyless entry on my house. After I enter ... the house says the time and temp.
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v6319333rqhCEFHN

-Cam

LOGANED! 4-30-08
post #29 of 29 Old 03-03-2008, 02:09 PM

Very nice! I don't know about that voice though.... Little harsh, and might get annoying pretty quick. Mabye a softer male English accent?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page