Whole Home In Ceiling Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2008, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are a few threads out there when I did a search, but nothing real recent. I thought this thread was more applicable over here than in the dedicated speaker threads...With that said, I just purchased a Sonos ZP100 and controller to test out the functionality. I am completely sold on the system, but before adding additional ZP100's I now need to purchase and install some in ceiling speakers. I am looking for that popular budget/value combo, but would rather spend a little more to get what I am looking for. With that said, I don't have any experience with in ceiling speakers and no place local has the ability to really sample and test. I am looking to get a little more than that ambient sound quality and don't want a 2.1 system (not sure that's even possible). I would like the speakers to have some good mid-bass and lower frequencies and be able to reproduce nice quality at more than "conversational" levels. I am specifically looking at Home office, kitchen, bonus room and a master/master bath combo. I believe the speakers for the master and bath have to be 8ohm if im to share the one ZP100 with two in wall volume controls and the 4 speakers.

Any ideas on what brands and/or specific models I should look into? Should I be looking at 6.5 or 8 inch? I am fine ordering one pair and testing them out before I purchase the rest. Any input would be appreciated. I would say im looking to spend $200/pair, but obviously would love to spend less if I can find something cheaper that suits my needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 09:30 PM

I don't know if this even falls into the category of what you're looking for, but I picked up a Polk Audio RC6s for the kitchen and have been very happy with it.

I'm no audiophile and don't have much of any experience with speakers but it might be worth a look.

edit: dumb ass filter. Search Amazon or Google for Polk Audio RC6s and you'll find the one I'm talking about.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, but i think that is considered a loudspeaker where both the left and righ channel are wired to one speaker. I think I would prefer to stay with split audio between the left and right.

Anyone have some suggestions with what they are using at home either in a Sonos setup or something else?
Old 02-22-2008, 01:31 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tghodge View Post

There are a few threads out there when I did a search, but nothing real recent. I thought this thread was more applicable over here than in the dedicated speaker threads...With that said, I just purchased a Sonos ZP100 and controller to test out the functionality. I am completely sold on the system, but before adding additional ZP100's I now need to purchase and install some in ceiling speakers. I am looking for that popular budget/value combo, but would rather spend a little more to get what I am looking for. With that said, I don't have any experience with in ceiling speakers and no place local has the ability to really sample and test. I am looking to get a little more than that ambient sound quality and don't want a 2.1 system (not sure that's even possible). I would like the speakers to have some good mid-bass and lower frequencies and be able to reproduce nice quality at more than "conversational" levels. I am specifically looking at Home office, kitchen, bonus room and a master/master bath combo. I believe the speakers for the master and bath have to be 8ohm if im to share the one ZP100 with two in wall volume controls and the 4 speakers.

Any ideas on what brands and/or specific models I should look into? Should I be looking at 6.5 or 8 inch? I am fine ordering one pair and testing them out before I purchase the rest. Any input would be appreciated. I would say im looking to spend $200/pair, but obviously would love to spend less if I can find something cheaper that suits my needs.

There is another thread about half way down the page titled "Monoprice - In ceiling speakers"....a lot of people on that thread were commenting at the quality of the monoprice speaker at a budget price....you should check that out....I might be interested in them to add to my collections as well
Old 02-22-2008, 03:41 PM

The Triad InCeiling OmniRound/5 has an MSRP of $200/pair.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/icor5.html
Old 02-23-2008, 09:53 AM

i went with the polk rc80i the sound quality is outstanding and i have very large open spaces besides that a good value.
i have not tried them but HTD gets a lot of good reviews as well.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerybum View Post

i went with the polk rc80i the sound quality is outstanding and i have very large open spaces besides that a good value.
i have not tried them but HTD gets a lot of good reviews as well.

Thanks, I had seen that the polk rc80i's had received good reviews, but I am intrigued by the HTD HD-R80 as well. Does anyone have these installed with a Sonos system or perhaps another whole home audio configuration? I want to be able to get something close to my home theater setup, but when I am playing audio, my sub kicks in and becomes a 2.1 system. I am hoping that some 8inch speakers might give me some of that mid-bass and lower frequencies. I suppose most of the time the in ceilings will be more background music, but I would like to be able to turn the volume up on occasion and get a nice rich sound. Is that possible with two 8 inch speakers and no sub?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible_Tom View Post

The Triad InCeiling OmniRound/5 has an MSRP of $200/pair.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/icor5.html

I wish. I believe it's $200 per speaker.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:26 PM

Liked: 11
The bottom end that you have been getting via the powered sub will not be possible with conventional in wall speakers. The absence of that subs 100+ watts and driver dedicated strictly for the lower tones will be obvious as you suspected. You can achieve some pretty decent low end reproduction with 8' in-wall or ceiling speakers though.
The problem is the amount of bass you will get from such speakers varies with where they are installed and room acoustics.
I have yet to find an open back designed speaker where you can consistently predict the bass response you will hear. Even if you have installed dozens of them in similar walls providing the same size cavity and insulation properties.
Better speakers will tend to be more consistent in providing notable bass tones, but still it varies from room to room. So the expression of "Your Mileage May Vary" can apply here.
Many higher end speakers will utilize their own back enclosures so they will be much more consistent with the rooms acoustics mostly varying what you will hear.
Granted this is a feature also found on some lower end speakers. The difference is the lower end versions provide a very small amount of enclosure behind the speakers, much too small to allow the driver to work at it's best. The higher end speakers have larger enclosures compared to the drivers. This is why they can reproduce the full range as many bookshelf speakers based on the same sized woofer. Since their enclosures typically shaped to accommodate fitting within a 2x4 studded wall, they will still fall short of better bookshelf or floor standing speakers based on the same sized driver.

"if you can't find the answer to life, change your questions"