Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New firmware update

XD - Production 110109
XE - Production 110109
XS - Production 110109

Quote:

Production 110109- Added a "Video" deinterlacing mode to the menu under Input:Video Setup:RES:Controleint:Mode . This is a useful option if you're watching cable/satellite type sources and you're seeing some combing. Couple small bugfixes.

I record quite a bit of sd tv (480i material) and this mode improves news-type material; I've done some testing and there seems to be a lot less combing on the mouth and hands. I'll keep watching The Daily Show and The Colbert Report - I mean, testing, I'll keep testing over the next few days and report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1401 Old 11-12-2009, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Updated the first post with links to the XS firmware, as well as updated link to XD/XE manual (this one's been up for a while, escaped me until now). I'm not seeing an XS manual for now.
post #273 of 1401 Old 11-12-2009, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
A forced video mode is a great addition. Does this run on the FPGA like the "Film only" mode introduced earlier this year leaving the VXP's enhanced options greyed out ?
post #274 of 1401 Old 11-12-2009, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

A forced video mode is a great addition. Does this run on the FPGA like the "Film only" mode introduced earlier this year leaving the VXP's enhanced options greyed out ?

Don't know, I'll check tonight. Somebody else please feel free to chime in in the meantime.
post #275 of 1401 Old 11-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post

I'll keep watching The Daily Show and The Colbert Report - I mean, testing, I'll keep testing over the next few days and report.

Nowt wrong with The Daily Show. One of the best exports from the States IMO.

Quote:

Almost certainly not. Doing so would be a major undertaking and probably consume more space than is in FPGA. (Think about all of the diagonal smoothing (jaggie elimination) that takes place in the top notch deinterlacers).

"Worth waiting for"
post #276 of 1401 Old 11-12-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post

New firmware update

XD - Production 110109
XE - Production 110109
XS - Production 110109

I record quite a bit of sd tv (480i material) and this mode improves news-type material; I've done some testing and there seems to be a lot less combing on the mouth and hands. I'll keep watching The Daily Show and The Colbert Report - I mean, testing, I'll keep testing over the next few days and report.

cool beans. gotta give this a try tonight!
post #277 of 1401 Old 11-12-2009, 05:32 PM

There's new 110209 versions. I'm not fancy enough to link to each file, but here's a link to the update page.

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=updates

Quote:

Production 110209- Bugfix for changing deinterlacer mode settings incorrectly for inactive config (this bug was in 110109 only and was caused due to the addition of the new "video mode" setting). Updated rs232 commands regarding deinterlacer mode settings (for the 'ZQI15' and 'ZY515' rs232 commands the value of 2 is now used to indicate "video mode" deinterlacing). The rs232 tech tip will be updated accordingly.

post #278 of 1401 Old 11-12-2009, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've updated the first post with the direct links. If you've already updated to 110109, you can skip this one (I will) unless you really, really need to update non active inputs with the new video mode. Or need the RS232 commands.
post #279 of 1401 Old 11-15-2009, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

As far as I can tell the enhancements are still available in video mode.
post #280 of 1401 Old 11-15-2009, 05:58 PM

Liked: 12
Yes, the enhancements are still available in "video" deinterlacing mode.

Patrick Harkin, Lumagen Inc. engineer
post #281 of 1401 Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by amt View Post

Question: Can the Radiance products accept 480p/24 over HDMI? (assuming there was a device that could send that)

I currently don't know of any device that can send out 480p/24. The Radiance however can send that out over hdmi, this is how I am currently viewing standard dvds as well as bluray
post #282 of 1401 Old 11-17-2009, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funlvr1965 View Post

I currently don't know of any device that can send out 480p/24. The Radiance however can send that out over hdmi, this is how I am currently viewing standard dvds as well as bluray

Hmmm no you're not That would be 1080p24...
post #283 of 1401 Old 11-18-2009, 04:38 AM

Does anyone have any prefered settings for the XD setup with a Pioneer Kuro 150FD. There are so many options I want to make sure I didn't miss any.Any that work better than others for plasma's?
Thanks
Joe
post #284 of 1401 Old 11-19-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestef View Post

Does anyone have any prefered settings for the XD setup with a Pioneer Kuro 150FD. There are so many options I want to make sure I didn't miss any.Any that work better than others for plasma's?
Thanks
Joe

Do a calibration of the Kuro first - you don't have to be obsessive, just get it sort of OK to begin with. I like to make the display reasonably good top to bottom before starting with XD adjustments. Turn off all the processing crap in the Kuro (black corrector, CTI, dynamic contrast, etc.). One setting is called "Enhancer" or something like that and the choices are hard, medium, or soft. The only correct setting for that control is "hard" - the other settings apply a high frequency filter effect that softens anything with full 1080 resolution. This is easily visible in the highest resolution 1080 (single pixel) lines in a multi-burst pattern or in the single pixel checkerboard pattern in the HD Digital Video Essentials.

I used an XD with a 150 for a month or so during a review. There's nothing "special" re. XD settings. Let the XD pass 24p without converting to 60Hz so the Kuro will switch to 72Hz with the 24p input. Use Advance mode on the Kuro (Smooth is "broken" and results in nasty motion artifacts with some regularity). Use Pure AV mode on the Kuro. Set Gamma to 2.2 with the XD gamma corrector on the default setting. That will give you a range of gamma choices from about 1.9 to 2.4 or so from moving the gamma corrector up or down - for dark room viewing you'll find the Kuros look good with gamma in the 2.3 to 2.35 range - anything higher than that makes the midtones too dark, makes 80% to 99% are too dark in relation to 100%, and shadow detail, while visible, seems to extend too far... it goes up into what should be the lower midtones and contributes to making the picture look too dark.

The XD will fix the color space errors the 150 has quite nicely, but you MUST have a meter that's up to the job. Many are terrible at measuring a single color (like red, green or blue) and only a little less than terrible at measuring complimentary colors containing 2 primaries (cyan, yellow, magenta). And many meters suck at measuring color luminance - something you really want to be able to use with the XD's nearly perfect control over color luminance (the only shortcoming is at the bottom end... 10% and 20% where a single "click" makes a pretty large change). The i1 Pro isn't very good with color luminance nor are any meters less expensive than the Chroma 5 (circa $500 I think). If you don't have a meter known to be accurate for both color xy and color luminance (Y) measurements, you either need to acquire such a meter or pay a pro equipped with such a meter to do your color calibration for you.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #285 of 1401 Old 11-19-2009, 05:34 PM

Doug,
Thank you for your quick reply to my post, The fact that someone of your stature and reputation would take the time to respond to (not to mention in such detail) my post validates my participation in these forums. You have stated that my i1PRO is not the meter of choice when it comes to measuring luminance, I have been contemplating the purchase of a Chroma 5 to replace my D2Lt. Could you expand on your rational regarding your opinion/findings of the benefits of owning both the i1PRO and a Chroma 5 ?
Again Thank you for your time.
Joe Stefano
post #286 of 1401 Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Tiny question: what's the exact difference or/and influence on each other between the GENLOCK setting on the input side and the MATCH RATE setting on the output side ?

Match Rate seems to be the same as the framelock setting on DVDO's processors, but I would have suspected to do the Genlock setting the same.
post #287 of 1401 Old 11-20-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Tiny question: what's the exact difference or/and influence on each other between the GENLOCK setting on the input side and the MATCH RATE setting on the output side ?

Rate matching is a feature to handle the odd situation of NSTC sources that go between 23.97 Hz and 24.00 Hz (as well as 59.94 and 60.0) and then automatically changing the Radiances' output mode rate to match. So if the output mode was originally set up as 59.94 Hz (which is normal for many standard modes) and the input source goes to 24.0 Hz then the output mode would switch to 60.0 Hz. As long as your display works with 24.0/60.0 it's a good idea to turn it on--you may not find many sources that ever cause it to occur but we've seen some BluRay discs that use it.
Genlock is for much more fine grained differences in the input and output rate and is used to lock the input and output together if the rates are the same or have an exact ratio. With genlock you can avoid a drop/skipped frame that may occur once in 10 minutes due to very small differences in the underlying clocks. It's not always noticeable.

post #288 of 1401 Old 11-20-2009, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Great info, thanks ! One question remains though: why would I want to leave the Genlock function turned off then ?
post #289 of 1401 Old 11-20-2009, 04:54 PM

Genlocking can slow down switching between inputs even if you're output mode isn't supposed to change modes as the clocks and syncs need to be realigned to the new input. So it's up to you which is more important.

post #290 of 1401 Old 11-20-2009, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I went to update firmware in my XD today. Win 95, USB to serial converter. Everything hooked up and started smoothly. My Radiance is plugged into a UPS so no worry of power failure. I began the update and then had to leave. My notebook showed 1 hour of power left in the battery. I return tonight and find the message:
Updating RadianceXD firmware
Do not disconnect power

The notebook had hibernated. When I tried to reconnect and force an update no connection was established. Is there anything that I can do to rectify the situation? Do I have a brick?

Of course, this only happens on weekends when tech support is closed and plans of movies to be viewed have been made.
post #291 of 1401 Old 11-20-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Get the software ready to go on the computer. Unplug the power the Radiance and then plug it back in. Once it is plugged in try the update on the computer.

Shawn
post #292 of 1401 Old 11-20-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 226
The guys at SpectraCal/CalMAN can give you the whole rundown on i1-Pro vs Chroma 5 and which would be the better choice for xyY color measurements. Neither is an ideal solution, but cheaper meters are really not much better than guessing when it comes to color measurements. Frankly, it is DAMN hard to find a meter under $8000 or so that's good enough to make decent xyY color measurements.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #293 of 1401 Old 11-21-2009, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Shawn. I followed your advice and all is well.

BTW, I used the keyspan USA-19H adapter with Windows 7 successfully.
post #294 of 1401 Old 11-21-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

The guys at SpectraCal/CalMAN can give you the whole rundown on i1-Pro vs Chroma 5 and which would be the better choice for xyY color measurements. Neither is an ideal solution, but cheaper meters are really not much better than guessing when it comes to color measurements. Frankly, it is DAMN hard to find a meter under $8000 or so that's good enough to make decent xyY color measurements.

As much as I'd like one of those high end toys myself - come on. You're going to get amazing results with an i1 or C5. And unless you do calibrations day in, day out, I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference in the end between calibrations done by different meters. You know, diminishing returns and all that.

Joe, I went from a d2lt to a c5 myself, and it's a huge improvement. The picture out of my rs1 looks nothing short of spectacular. If you can wrap your head around the XD's calibration workflow, there's no reason that your display won't look equally as good. The bonus is you can do regular touch ups yourself. It's your choice really; if you pay someone with a really expensive meter, the results are going to be theoretically better; theoretically being the operative keyword here. Meaning they may or may not be better, and you may or may not see the difference.
post #295 of 1401 Old 11-21-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

New firmware update - game mode! YES!

XD - Production 111509
XE - Production 111509
XS - Production 111509

Quote:

Production 111509-
* Added a "Game Mode" setting for minimizing video latency. For interlaced sources 480i/576i/1080i are treated as 240p/288p/540p when enabled. Enable it if needed in the menu under Input:Video Setup:RES:Control:Game Mode. When game mode is enabled PiP, Deinterlacing, and Enhance settings are not available.
* Added a couple more Pip settings. "Label" allows disabling the label the comes on for 5 seconds when the Pip is selected/changed. "Timer" allows setting how long the Pip stays on when selected (the default leaves it up until manually turned off).
* Added the Input Mask to work with the Pip window. The ability to mask the Pip along with the new "Timer" setting allows creation of a special Pip window for an output from an AVR or other equipment that displays menus. So, for instance, a programmable remote could turn on the Pip for an AVR when adjusting a volume control and just the slice of the menu from the AVR with the volume display could be overlayed onto the screen and after a certain amount of time (10 sec - 4 minutes) this "volume control" Pip display would turn off automatically. The input mask command can be found in the menu under Input:Video Setup:RES:Size:ASPECT:Masking.
* Added an "Input Selection menu option. Enable this in the menu under Other:Menu Control:Menu Options with the "Input Menu" setting. If enabled, you can press the 'Input' button the remote to display a list of inputs to select from. The list is editable.
* Added the Pip swap function--used with the 'Swap' button on the remote.
* Couple bugfixes

post #296 of 1401 Old 11-21-2009, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The Gamemode setting will come under a rough series of tests tonight

The input selection by pop-up window is great as well.
post #297 of 1401 Old 11-21-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Added a "Game Mode" setting for minimizing video latency. For interlaced sources 480i/576i/1080i are treated as 240p/288p/540p when enabled.

I'm wondering if this is correct though. I can think of a PS1 games that alternates between 240p and 480i. And almost all PS2 games are 480i NOT 240p. I'll want to reduce latency on those without halving the resolution. Hmmm, maybe I'm not understanding what this thing does?
post #298 of 1401 Old 11-21-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I consider it a good solution. Yes, PS1 and PS2 (N64 and Wii as well) swap between 240p and 480i a lot. While there's absolutely no reason to treat 240p as 480i, this way you can apply it to 480i on purpose as well and get a fast "bobbing" mode for 480i Fighters and Shoot'em ups as well (the same as DVDO's gamemode 1 on the earlier models (VP20/30) without the diagonal interpolation).

Quote:

And almost all PS2 games are 480i NOT

depends in which PS2 games you play. Probably 70% of mine are 240p.

First findings (of many more to come)

- 240p via component does not work
- 240p via RGBs does work
- it's really fast
- slowly moving tearing line from time to time with 480p with Gamemode & Genlock on
- tendency to need a restart of the Radiance when switching resolutions
- picture quality on 240p input is **very** FLI2310 like. I have a Holo II setup for 240p titles and it's hard to tell a difference.
- the analog inputs of the Radiance are **very** sensitive to noise. I get shaky vertical sync of a PS2, heavy RF noise on a Saturn

I'll do picture and video comparions over the next week.
post #299 of 1401 Old 11-21-2009, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

depends in which PS2 games you play. Probably 70% of mine are 240p.

I doubt that very much. The only 240p game I can think of on PS2 is Ico, and even then I'm not sure it's actually 240p, it might just be low-res. Almost all PS2 games are 480i.
post #300 of 1401 Old 11-21-2009, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I doubt that very much

not the proper place to discuss this. I invite you to join our discussion on the XRGB-3 upscaler on the shmups.com board, if you're interested in 240p titles. To name just a few: Metal Slug Series, DoDonPachi DaiOuJou, ESPGaluda, Fantasy Zone II DX. And I don't speak for the majority of PS2 games, I speak for the majority of MY PS2 collection.

Done more testing the past hour and have a hard time to get other systems to work properly via RGBs. Composite works fine on all systems, but nobody wants that
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page