Official RadianceXD support thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 1407 Old 06-17-2009, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You need to connect a null modem serial cable between the USB to serial adaptor and the Radiance. We provide a null modem serial cable with each Radiance.

See "Tech Tip 6 - Updating the Radiance".
http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=manuals

Randy Freeman
support@lumagen.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1407 Old 06-17-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyFreeman View Post

You need to connect a null modem serial cable between the USB to serial adaptor and the Radiance. We provide a null modem serial cable with each Radiance.

See "Tech Tip 6 - Updating the Radiance".
http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=manuals

Randy Freeman
support@lumagen.com

Randy -

Ok.
So just to clarify (I know I'm slow...) :

(Monoprice) USB to RS232 DB9 male(Serial) / DB25 male Converter Cable
into
null cable (included with Radiance)
into
Radiance

Sounds good.

Thanks.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #93 of 1407 Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 AM

Yes, that is how to connect the cables for flashing new software. Look at the technical tip for details.

Randy Freeman
support@lumagen.com
post #94 of 1407 Old 06-17-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Randy, is support work (specificall XD->XE upgrades) done at your site in Beaverton, OR? If I live in the area, can I swing by and drop it off for upgrading or will I need to ship it? Thanks!

Greg

post #95 of 1407 Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mike, I'm pretty sure that's the same USB to RS232 adapter that I use, so you should be good. One word of advice though (and I should put this in the FAQs) - if you update from a laptop, make sure to do it while plugged in. I've been able to consistently observe failed updates when the laptop isn't plugged. I attribute it to the USB ports not getting enough juice when running on battery alone.

D.

post #96 of 1407 Old 06-17-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post

Mike, I'm pretty sure that's the same USB to RS232 adapter that I use, so you should be good. One word of advice though (and I should put this in the FAQs) - if you update from a laptop, make sure to do it while plugged in. I've been able to consistently observe failed updates when the laptop isn't plugged. I attribute it to the USB ports not getting enough juice when running on battery alone.

Dave -

Thanks.
Will do.
I ordered the Monoprice cable today.

Mike

post #97 of 1407 Old 06-17-2009, 03:39 PM

The upgrades from Radiance XD to XE are done in Beaverton. If you are interested in upgrading your unit, you are welcome to drop off your unit. Call us at 503-574-2211 to make the arrangements.

Randy Freeman
support@lumagen.com
post #98 of 1407 Old 06-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the excellent tip. I will see about adding this to "Tech Tip 6 - Updating the Radiance".

Randy Freeman
support@lumagen.com
post #99 of 1407 Old 06-18-2009, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for the excellent tip. I will see about adding this to "Tech Tip 6 - Updating the Radiance".

Randy Freeman
support@lumagen.com

Given:

1) the relative frequency of FW updates
(a good thing, indicating ongoing support and problem solving by the company), AND

2) many (? I assume ?) rack mounted systems
(with possible difficult access to the back of unit)

Have you considered an RS232 port in the front with access via a magnetic cover (eg SVS ASEQ1 or Audyssey products) or a flip cover?

That would allow easy access for FW updates.

Mike

post #100 of 1407 Old 06-18-2009, 10:32 AM

I do know that some people permanently connect a RS-232 cable to the Radiance and keep the cable coiled up inside the equipment rack.

Randy
support@lumagen.com
post #101 of 1407 Old 06-18-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I do know that some people permanently connect a RS-232 cable to the Radiance and keep the cable coiled up inside the equipment rack.

Randy
support@lumagen.com

Randy -

Good idea.
I'll probably do that and put it behind a MA spacer rack blank.
Thanks.

Mike

post #102 of 1407 Old 06-19-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Randy -

Good idea.
Thanks.

Mike

Personally I would love to see a second RS-232 port because i) my unit in rack mounted in a MA rack and ii) my unit is controlled via RS-232 which means that everytime I upgrade the unit I have to funble with cables, not the best thing...

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #103 of 1407 Old 06-19-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post

Personally I would love to see a second RS-232 port because i) my unit in rack mounted in a MA rack and ii) my unit is controlled via RS-232 which means that everytime I upgrade the unit I have to funble with cables, not the best thing...

I agree.

Mike

post #104 of 1407 Old 06-24-2009, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Randy -

Good idea.
Thanks.

Mike

Mike you dont have to settle for putting it behind a blank spacer, I picked up a solution for that very same situation today from Full Compass you can get a universal connector panel with knockouts for passthru connectors like serial and ethernet jacks, I picked up mine today, I tried calling you several times today. Dude you gotta pickup the phone, your patients can wait this stuff is important give me a holla and I will fill you in on the details and when I get a chance I will post pics so everyone can see what Im talking about its really kind of cool.

post #105 of 1407 Old 06-25-2009, 12:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by funlvr1965 View Post

Mike you dont have to settle for putting it behind a blank spacer, I picked up a solution for that very same situation today from Full Compass you can get a universal connector panel with knockouts for passthru connectors like serial and ethernet jacks, I picked up mine today, I tried calling you several times today. Dude you gotta pickup the phone, your patients can wait this stuff is important give me a holla and I will fill you in on the details and when I get a chance I will post pics so everyone can see what Im talking about its really kind of cool.

Wayne -

Cool.
Do you have any links to the FullCompass site/product.
A 1 RU blank/connector panel would be very cool for this.

Mike

post #106 of 1407 Old 06-25-2009, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wayne -

Cool.
Do you have any links to the FullCompass site/product.
A 1 RU blank/connector panel would be very cool for this.

Mike

Mike I dont have the link to the site and I am notoriously bad at adding links
here are some pics of the panel and the serial and ethernet plugin adapters, the 9 pin serial is reversable, just connect cable on each side and youre good to go, no need to unwind cable from behind panels
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #107 of 1407 Old 06-25-2009, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Hope this helps sorry for the bad pics Im using my small point and shoot too much work to dig out the digital slr
LL
LL

post #108 of 1407 Old 06-25-2009, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Mike I dont have the link to the site and I am notoriously bad at adding links
here are some pics of the panel and the serial and ethernet plugin adapters, the 9 pin serial is reversable, just connect cable on each side and youre good to go, no need to unwind cable from behind panels

Enabler!

Please see if you can dig up the product numbers as my cursory search on the fullcompass site for Middle Atlantic rack blank (and other search variants) didn't pull it up. Whom did you work with -- Joel?

Thanks for the pics.

Mike

post #109 of 1407 Old 06-25-2009, 06:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hope this helps sorry for the bad pics Im using my small point and shoot too much work to dig out the digital slr

You're fast...

Adapter - Link

Switchcraft EHDB9MFB

9 Pin DSUB Male to Female, Black finish
EH SERIES OVERVIEW
Switchcraft's newest line of connectors, the EH Series, offers a wide range of connectors all within a standard XLR housing. A single panel cut-out allows the end user to mount multiple formats including USB-A, USB-B, Firewire, S-VHS, 3.5mm stereo with normal circuit, MIDI, both 9 pin and 15 pin HD D-sub, plus RCA and BNC feed-thru's. Perfect for systems integration, pro audio, A/V, data, etc. The connectors conveniently mount into standard XLR diagonal hole knockouts, which allows the installer to easily combine the different formats into standard pre-knocked plates or racks without having to custom drill and tap a specific hole for a specific connector. You can also populate your own combination of EH connectors in Switchcraft empty QG rack panels or single and dual gang wall plates.

Plate - Link or Whirlwind
????

Middle Atlantic Products UNI-1C

The UNI Series laser-cut connector panels feature knockouts that are designed to accept a number of connectors, including XLR and Neutrik. Our innovative design lets you mount both male and female connectors to the same holes simply by knocking out the correct pattern. Made from one-piece flanged steel, black powder coat finish.

or

Whirlwind PR1

1.75" 1-space punched rack panel with 10 XLR holes. Panels are made of .090" thick 5052 aluminum with bent flanges for rigidity and have a brushed black anodized finish.
Note: Image shows multiple rack panel models.

The Whirlwind is a lot cheaper.
I'll have to check your pics and here if that is what you did.

Thanks,

Mike

PS - Just for the record, this would be "cleaner" if it was incorporated in the Radiance, but hey, a good retrofit.

*EDIT*
Pics added.
Wayne - it looks like you got the MA plate.
Any reason you didn't get the Whirlwind?
What are you using the ethernet connection for? No easy access for it behind rack for BR player, etc?

post #110 of 1407 Old 06-25-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi all, I am considering an XD->XE upgrade. If I want the newer audio formats, it seems that I would still be able to go sources->pre/pro->Radiance and set up different settings for each source (even though they would all arrive in the Radiance via the same physical plug)? If I am able to use the Radiance in this manner, the only other HDMI 1.3 element remaining is deep color video. Do any PJs resolve this color palette? Does the additional color depth result in better processing for the image? Is deep color = 4:4:4 video? Thanks!

Oh yes: is the upgrade price now $1500 (was $1k for a limited time)?

Greg

post #111 of 1407 Old 06-25-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post

Hi all, I am considering an XD->XE upgrade. If I want the newer audio formats, it seems that I would still be able to go sources->pre/pro->Radiance and set up different settings for each source (even though they would all arrive in the Radiance via the same physical plug)? If I am able to use the Radiance in this manner, the only other HDMI 1.3 element remaining is deep color video. Do any PJs resolve this color palette? Does the additional color depth result in better processing for the image? Is deep color = 4:4:4 video? Thanks!

Oh yes: is the upgrade price now $1500 (was $1k for a limited time)?

I am not the Radiance guru, so others feel free to correct me, but...

- I think some people think you lose something with the pre/pro (or Rec) before the Radiance, but you also lose the ability for easy switching/GUI (eg Denon GUI interface). Some video calibrator types can probably tell you more. I have Radiance -> Denon 5308CI and the picture looks great, but the switching of inputs on the Radiance is not as intuitive as on the Denon. That will improve when I get a better universal remote/automation system.
- some projectors/displays do deep color, but I don't know of any common commercial source for software that supports it
- deep color does not equal 4:4:4 video (I think)
- I don't know about upgrade cost

I have an XE, but I think Dave and others make a compelling argument for staying with XD.

Mike

post #112 of 1407 Old 06-26-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

- deep color does not equal 4:4:4 video (I think)

Mike

You are Correct.

post #113 of 1407 Old 07-16-2009, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A couple new firmware updates have been post with new functionality - auto aspect ratio switching for hdmi sources.

Direct download link to the latest update

D.

post #114 of 1407 Old 07-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Now THAT is interesting! Does this mean auto-triggering for 2.35 systems (e.g. CineSlide or Panamorph lens transports)?

Anxious to hear how well it works if tat's the case. Please post if/when someone tries it out.

post #115 of 1407 Old 07-16-2009, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have two 16/9 displays, no anamorphic lens/masking/etc... I don't have an overarching need for that functionality. The only situation where it would be nice is for recorded tv shows that are letterboxed within a 4/3 picture - black bars on all sides, yuck. But I highly doubt the necessary flag is present that would allow me to automate the zooming.

In any case - it works fine according to the first reports, but it's highly dependent on the AR flag being set in the source material. And again - that flag is only transmitted over hdmi.

D.

post #116 of 1407 Old 07-16-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Now THAT is interesting! Does this mean auto-triggering for 2.35 systems (e.g. CineSlide or Panamorph lens transports)?

Anxious to hear how well it works if tat's the case. Please post if/when someone tries it out.

I installed the new FW for the RadianceXE last night.
I haven't done any fiddling with my ISCOIIIL/CineSlide and Lumagen for triggering.
SOWK is coming over on Fri, so maybe we'll look at that.
Dave - if you want to come over Fri and look at it just PM me.
(Grilling first at 6:45p. I'll supply drinks)

Mike

post #117 of 1407 Old 07-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

... but it's highly dependent on the AR flag being set in the source material. And again - that flag is only transmitted over hdmi.

Too bad. I don't have much confidence in DVD flags. Maybe they will be better on BluRay. Std DVD's don't have a "2.35" flag. They do have 4:3 or 16:9 and in my experience the disc authors do an abysmal job of handling those flags on regular DVD. That said, even on Blu-Ray I continue to be annoyed to see them with trailers authored incorrectly. I was hoping Lumagen's "trigger" for the change was detecting the bars. If it's counting on flags, then it won't be any help on SD DVD. I don't know about BR, I didn't think they had a standard "spot" (flag) to identify scope material.

post #118 of 1407 Old 07-16-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Too bad. I don't have much confidence in DVD flags. Maybe they will be better on BluRay. Std DVD's don't have a "2.35" flag. They do have 4:3 or 16:9 and in my experience the disc authors do an abysmal job of handling those flags on regular DVD. That said, even on Blu-Ray I continue to be annoyed to see them with trailers authored incorrectly. I was hoping Lumagen's "trigger" for the change was detecting the bars. If it's counting on flags, then it won't be any help on SD DVD. I don't know about BR, I didn't think they had a standard "spot" (flag) to identify scope material.

Can someone from Lumagen provide some commentary on this.
An auto-detect mode (that works!) would be cool.

Mike

post #119 of 1407 Old 07-16-2009, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah... Mike's the first, but I'm anticipating a growing chorus of Radiance users asking for bar detection instead of relying on the flag . I'm wondering if it's been done successfully before?

D.

post #120 of 1407 Old 07-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Yeah... Mike's the first, but I'm anticipating a growing chorus of Radiance users asking for bar detection instead of relying on the flag . I'm wondering if it's been done successfully before?

My Kuro does a good job detecting left and right vertical bars, and applying a stretch after it detects them (it does take two or three seconds). Doesn't seem that big a stretch, no pun intended, to do the same with horizontal bars?
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page