Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1351 of 1394 Old 06-05-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Lumagen recommends backing up your settings to a PC, doing a factory reset on the Radiance processor, then download your settings from the PC to the Radiance again to restore them. They recommend this for each firmware update, though I admit to not doing it every time myself. But if I have some previously not-seen problem, I will do it to see if the problem goes away... occasionally, it does stop some oddball things, other times, there's no change. Not saying that's your issue, but it might be.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1394 Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 168
New Calman Version 5.3.5 RC3 Build #1578

http://color.spectracal.com/downloads/

Fixed Issues

June 5, 2014

Further refined the Pattern Delay Optimization. This should help improve the results by removing luminance from the calculations.
Resolved an issue with the i1Pro and i1Pro 2 that would cause CalMAN to be unable to communicate with the meter if CalMAN attempted to connect to it a second time
post #1353 of 1394 Old 06-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

Lumagen recommends backing up your settings to a PC, doing a factory reset on the Radiance processor, then download your settings from the PC to the Radiance again to restore them. They recommend this for each firmware update, though I admit to not doing it every time myself. But if I have some previously not-seen problem, I will do it to see if the problem goes away... occasionally, it does stop some oddball things, other times, there's no change. Not saying that's your issue, but it might be.
Thanks, Doug, I'll give that a try.
post #1354 of 1394 Old 06-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

Well, still no joy. I reverted to 011814. This got rid of the weird behavior. I then saved my settings with the config utility (1.6), updated to 050314, restored the settings, and same thing.

Sometimes when switching format or input (probably because that switches the format) I first get a small 1/4 size image at the upper left corner, then a 2-3-second blackout then the full image. I'm trying to post on the Lumagen forum but the admin must be on vacation to approve my registration from four days ago ...

I've reverted to 011814. And oh dang, I just checked and there's a new 1.7 utility. I'll give that a try. Sigh.
post #1355 of 1394 Old 06-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Oh well, same thing. Must be a new "feature" to make you think about upgrading to one of the new 20xx models smile.gif.

One thing I noticed is when updating to the latest two new versions, it skips sections 2 and 1 and only updates section 0, whereas the 011814 update does all three sections. Hmmm ...
post #1356 of 1394 Old 06-07-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

From a discussion that came up in the Calman Forum - the New 21XX series doesn't take a 4K Input?

OK, I get it - 2XXX, means 2D input.
post #1357 of 1394 Old 06-08-2014, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post

Oh well, same thing. Must be a new "feature" to make you think about upgrading to one of the new 20xx models smile.gif.

One thing I noticed is when updating to the latest two new versions, it skips sections 2 and 1 and only updates section 0, whereas the 011814 update does all three sections. Hmmm ...

If you want to fore all three sections then use the bootloader update method...

prepare the firmware for uploading then pull power lead from video processor, then within 5 seconds of re-attaching power cable press SEND on upload...the scaler will stay off but will now update all sections. you will not lose any settings.

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #1358 of 1394 Old 06-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Fraser View Post

If you want to fore all three sections then use the bootloader update method...

prepare the firmware for uploading then pull power lead from video processor, then within 5 seconds of re-attaching power cable press SEND on upload...the scaler will stay off but will now update all sections. you will not lose any settings.

Thanks, Gordon. Would that be any different from backing up the settings with the utility before the regular update then restoring them afterwards?
post #1359 of 1394 Old 06-08-2014, 09:32 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post

Thanks, Gordon. Would that be any different from backing up the settings with the utility before the regular update then restoring them afterwards?

Hello,

You can also tick FORCE UPDATE. This is a regular update which allows to overwrite all of the sections.

I'm french .... sorry for my english
post #1360 of 1394 Old 06-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_t View Post

Hello,

You can also tick FORCE UPDATE. This is a regular update which allows to overwrite all of the sections.
Thanks Alex - I'm Spanish, no worries smile.gif.
post #1361 of 1394 Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 AM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post
Doug:

A slight correction. Generally we say you do not need to download your configuration to a PC, update Radiance software, and then upload the configuration back to the Radiance, with each update. This is not necessary since the configuration is preserved when doing an update. Even when we change the configuration data structure for an update, we put software into the update to translate an old configuration data structure to the new data structure automatically in the update (this is a very rare event).

As you note we have seen a couple cases where downloading and then uploading a configuration can recover if there is some corruption in the Radiance internal Flash memory that stores the configuration. However, this is a rare exception.

Downloading your configuration is recommended as a backup in case of any bad things happening to your Radiance.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1362 of 1394 Old 06-13-2014, 12:38 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

A couple comments on updating, the force option and boot mode.

There are three code sections, and the updater looks to see which ones are not current and need to be updated. Unless there is some issue you believe is a bad Flash memory bit, there is no need to select the "Force" option. The FPGA section takes the longest (currently about 15 minuted in the 2XXX units) and so if it has not changed since your last update you would save a lot of time by leaving the force option off.

If you believe you Radiance is behaving strangely, then a force update might help in the remote case of a Flash ROM bit flipping. Since the Flash stores the data as a charge on the input of a transistor, it is possible for the charge to be disturbed changing the Flash bit value. A bad Flash ROM code or data bit can cause strange behavior (e.g. changing inputs randomly, etc.) or even cause your Radiance to lock up. So, having a Flash ROM bit flip is possible, and doing a "Force" update can recover the Radiance back to proper operation.

Doing a "Boot Mode Update" is only recommended for a unit that does not turn on at all. If you turn the Radiance on with the remote and get a "green LED on" indication on the front panel, you can most likely do a normal update with the "Force" option selected.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1363 of 1394 Old 06-13-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have an XS-3D. I was looking in the manual at the procedures to deal with overscan and I generally found it confusing. It seemed there was a warning not to use it on 1080i. My input is 1080i 60 and 1080P 60 is the output. I need to reduce the screen size as I don't want any overscan? This was amazingly simple on a DUO. The source is PC and I can send 1080P 60 to the Lumagen but since the Lumagen won't redinterlace 1080P, I felt 1080i 60 would be an effective work around. The PC is using intel integrated graphics and doesn't want to scale interlace output.

Just another blank signature.
post #1364 of 1394 Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post
I have an XS-3D. I was looking in the manual at the procedures to deal with overscan and I generally found it confusing. It seemed there was a warning not to use it on 1080i. My input is 1080i 60 and 1080P 60 is the output. I need to reduce the screen size as I don't want any overscan? This was amazingly simple on a DUO. The source is PC and I can send 1080P 60 to the Lumagen but since the Lumagen won't redinterlace 1080P, I felt 1080i 60 would be an effective work around. The PC is using intel integrated graphics and doesn't want to scale interlace output.
What display are you using? Can the overscan be fixed there? Most modern panels have a mode with 1:1 pixel mapping, no overscan. That's better than scaling down.

(I also don't understand what interlacing/reinterlacing has to do with overscan?)
post #1365 of 1394 Old 06-13-2014, 11:11 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post
The "Output Shrink" command is used to reduce overscan. You just need to increase the left, top, right, and bottom, values to reduce image size on each edge as needed. The command is: MENU . Output . Styles . [Styles] . Mask/Shrink . Shrink

There is no limitation on the input or output format when using the output shrink command. Feel free to send 1080i (or any supported format) to the Radiance when reducing overscan.

I would be interested in what you read that made you worry about 1080i input. If you could post the text in question (or email it to support@lumagen.com) it would be helpful.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1366 of 1394 Old 06-19-2014, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Almost three weeks ago I registered on the Lumagen forum, and I'm still waiting to be confirmed. I sent the admin two e-mails wondering what the problem was, but no answer. Is this normal? Are they on holiday or something? Or do they not like me?
post #1367 of 1394 Old 06-19-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Firmware Updates All Models

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=updates

Improved Colour Patterns, resulting in Deeper, and Bolder Colours
post #1368 of 1394 Old 06-19-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Improved Colour Patterns, resulting in Deeper, and Bolder Colours
Where did you get that idea from?

The actual changelog:

"Precision improvements were made for color accuracy including test patterns."

More discussion
post #1369 of 1394 Old 06-20-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Where did you get that idea from?

The actual changelog:

"Precision improvements were made for color accuracy including test patterns."

More discussion
Eyeballing after a DDC Reset - will check my results tonight from last night's calibration. Darn issues with 100% Blue rising after the 125 Point 3D LUT calibration. Being it was 3AM when finished, will leave and check tonight as well.
post #1370 of 1394 Old 06-20-2014, 04:06 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
Almost three weeks ago I registered on the Lumagen forum, and I'm still waiting to be confirmed. I sent the admin two e-mails wondering what the problem was, but no answer. Is this normal? Are they on holiday or something? Or do they not like me?
Send an email to support@lumagen.com with your desired login name and we will try to get you set up with the Lumagen forum.
AnotherDude likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1371 of 1394 Old 06-20-2014, 04:13 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
From a discussion that came up in the Calman Forum - the New 21XX series doesn't take a 4K Input?

OK, I get it - 2XXX, means 2D input.
For now we are using the naming convention that the 1000's digit is the input rate (i.e. 2XXX units have 2k input rates), and the 10's digit is the output rate. The 100's digit is the generation, and the ones digit is a specific product within that generation.

So Radiance 214X units have 2k input and 4k output.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1372 of 1394 Old 06-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Send an email to support@lumagen.com with your desired login name and we will try to get you set up with the Lumagen forum.
Thanks, jrp - message sent!
post #1373 of 1394 Old 06-23-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php...ancexe_updates

Production 060914- Fixes up a few bugs in some of the test patterns in the previous release. (061014 for 20XX and 21XX)

Last edited by p5browne; 06-25-2014 at 05:57 PM.
post #1374 of 1394 Old 06-29-2014, 06:28 PM

Liked: 10
XD Video Tearing

Ever since updating to 050314 (from 061413) I've been getting this tearing issue on the top of the screen on some commercials. Never seems to occur during regular program material. (Mostly we've been watching the World Cup.) I'm now updated to 060914 with the same issue. Any thoughts out there in the Lumagen world?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Video_Tear_01.jpg (114.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Rcap; 06-29-2014 at 07:07 PM.
post #1375 of 1394 Old 06-29-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcap View Post
Ever since updating to 05314 (from 061413) I've been getting this tearing issue on the top of the screen on some commercials. Never seems to occur during regular program material. (Mostly we've been watching the World Cup.) I'm now updated to 060914 with the same issue. Any thoughts out there in the Lumagen world?
I think whatever match your watching, its likely an exciting nil-nil score...

Sorry, I've not seen that artifact with any firmware. Have you unplugged from power for 30 seconds, and re-powered it? I've seen other odd issues with Lumagen's over time that a hard power cycle seems to clear.
post #1376 of 1394 Old 06-29-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
I think whatever match your watching, its likely an exciting nil-nil score...

Sorry, I've not seen that artifact with any firmware. Have you unplugged from power for 30 seconds, and re-powered it? I've seen other odd issues with Lumagen's over time that a hard power cycle seems to clear.
Thanks. Yes, tried that. The only thing I haven't tried yet is a reset to factory defaults. May be in my future...
post #1377 of 1394 Old 06-30-2014, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Thanks. Yes, tried that. The only thing I haven't tried yet is a reset to factory defaults. May be in my future...
Another thing you might try is to switch to a channel with a different resolution (e.g. 480i) and then switch back again.
post #1378 of 1394 Old 06-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Two things I've been observing with the latest is occasionally when switching inputs it goes black, switching back and forth recovers it. And other times I'll get a temporary small picture in the upper left apparently when switching formats before the full image shows. This last one only goes away if I revert to 011814, not later.

For now I'm living with it :-)
post #1379 of 1394 Old 06-30-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Ever since updating to 050314 (from 061413) I've been getting this tearing issue on the top of the screen on some commercials. Never seems to occur during regular program material. (Mostly we've been watching the World Cup.) I'm now updated to 060914 with the same issue. Any thoughts out there in the Lumagen world?
The first thing I would do is revert to the 2013 firmware to see if, indeed, the problem is absolutely related to firmware version. Could be something coincidental happened when you updated the firmware.

Also, you can try backing-up your settings to a PC, do a full factory reset, then reinstall your settings from the PC.

When the commercial is screwed up, what happens when you select the Radiance menu or Info button so you display something the Radiance is generating at the same time you are experiencing the bad video from the commercial? If the Radiance menu or info screen is also screwed up, your video display is the source of the issue. If the Radiance menu or Info page are normal while the commercial is screwed up, the problem is in the Radiance or the source. This could help with troubleshooting.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #1380 of 1394 Old 06-30-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post
The first thing I would do is revert to the 2013 firmware to see if, indeed, the problem is absolutely related to firmware version. Could be something coincidental happened when you updated the firmware.

Also, you can try backing-up your settings to a PC, do a full factory reset, then reinstall your settings from the PC.

When the commercial is screwed up, what happens when you select the Radiance menu or Info button so you display something the Radiance is generating at the same time you are experiencing the bad video from the commercial? If the Radiance menu or info screen is also screwed up, your video display is the source of the issue. If the Radiance menu or Info page are normal while the commercial is screwed up, the problem is in the Radiance or the source. This could help with troubleshooting.
Good points. I'll check next time I see the symptoms.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page