Official RadianceXD support thread - Page 48 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
post #1411 of 1422 Old 01-10-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 269
After all these years!

Getting an issue while manually calibrating the Samsung UN65HU9000 Greyscale and CMS
(and previously the LG 55LHX, and the Samsung PN64F8500), I got that `Does not
Respond to setting changes' moments!
Will shut everything down, and start over, to continue to finish, or sometimes come
up with the same stalemate. But results were always mixed.
Also over the years was the Info screen popping up from the Radiances due to some
conflict with the TV Remote.
Pushing the Exit button got rid of that issue.
Last night, it finally dawned on me. The Radiance was also being affected in other ways
by the TV Remote, but because nothing was seen on screen, never thought my calibration
was being compromised!
So, last night I covered the front of the Radiance to prevent stray TV Remote signals.
Absolutely the BEST calibration I've done in years!
No more cursing the TV, Calman, and what ever! Radiance front stays covered through out
the calibrations from now on. Only signals going to it is the Serial Connection.

Addendum:
Turn Off the Radiance IR: MENU 0995. To turn back on repeat, or remove power Input, wait 10 seconds and reinsert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1422 Old 01-28-2015, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Selling my Radiance XD

If anyone is interested, I just listed my Radiance XD on Ebay.
I hope posting this on AVS is not against the forum rules.
Thank you guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Radiance XD.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	509130  
post #1413 of 1422 Old 01-31-2015, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Lumagen Radiance FW Updates

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=updates

21XX:

Production 012515- Fix for an issue with factory reset after enabling 17x17x17 CMS that would give incorrect colors. Adds composite input option to 2124/2144 component inputs. Improvements to auto aspect detection. Added auto aspect detection capability to analog inputs (2124/2144). Fix for composite input with film mode selected. Fix for loss of video issues with chromebox and other HTPC type sources. Fix for constant height setup with certain 3D formats and scale bias off causing incorrect picture. Fix for test patterns with side-by-side or top-bottom 3D output. Expanded size limits for rs232 "ZY2" command to match onscreen menu limits.
Update time ~15 minutes @57k from previous firmware

20XX:

Production 012515- Adds composite input option to 2022/2042 component inputs. Improvements to auto aspect detection. Added auto aspect detection capability to analog inputs (2022/2042). Fix for loss of video issues with chromebox and other HTPC type sources. Fix for constant height setup with certain 3D formats and scale bias off causing incorrect picture. Fix for test patterns with side-by-side or top-bottom 3D output. Expanded size limits for rs232 "ZY2" command to match onscreen menu limits.
Update time ~15 minutes @57k from previous firmware

XE:

Production 012515- Fix for loss of video issues with chromebox and other HTPC type sources. Fix for constant height setup with certain 3D formats and scale bias off causing incorrect picture. Fix for test patterns with side-by-side or top-bottom 3D output. Expanded size limits for rs232 "ZY2" command to match onscreen menu limits.
Update time ~3minutes @57k from previous firmware

XS:

Production 012515- Fix for loss of video issues with chromebox and other HTPC type sources. Fix for constant height setup with certain 3D formats and scale bias off causing incorrect picture. Fix for test patterns with side-by-side or top-bottom 3D output. Expanded size limits for rs232 "ZY2" command to match onscreen menu limits.

Mini:

XD:

post #1414 of 1422 Old 02-11-2015, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Does anyone know if, ever, my RadianceXD will be able to pass a signal with proper chroma upsampling?
post #1415 of 1422 Old 02-11-2015, 05:55 AM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Naiera:

The Radiance does do proper Chroma upsampling. If you are referring to some test patterns that use out-of-band Chroma, as discussed else where, these patterns create situations that do not reflect real video when being processed/scaled. The patterns can be useful but you need to be aware of this.

The GF9450 deinterlacer has a very slight loss of Chroma bandwidth, but this should not be visible on actual video.
Naiera likes this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1416 of 1422 Old 02-11-2015, 06:02 AM

I'm referring to test patterns on the Spears & Munsil test Blu-ray. I've tried on both my Oppo BDP-103 and the old 83, before I sold it.
post #1417 of 1422 Old 02-11-2015, 12:18 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
I'm referring to test patterns on the Spears & Munsil test Blu-ray. I've tried on both my Oppo BDP-103 and the old 83, before I sold it.
That is what I expected. These patterns are useful, but they create out-of-range values when converted to RGB, which are clamped (which cause changes in the waveform when processed), and since they are hard edge toggles (i.e. max-min-max-min) a Chroma filter will not work correctly since this is effectively "out-of-band."

No real video source would create either out-of-range RGB or out-of-band Chroma signals when properly processed and so the test pattern is not good to judge electronics that are processing the image. They are fine for seeing how you TV reacts to such a signal, but you need to understand the above discussion to make any judgments.

Don (Munsil) and I discussed the pro's and con's of this in a different thread (or maybe earlier in this thread. I don't recall exactly where).

At Lumagen, we did take the time to change the Radiance FPGA design to make this pattern look as good as possible, but found that the GF9450 chip did not pass it perfectly and there was nothing we could do to get the GF9450 to look better for this test pattern. BTW: You can bypass the GF9450 in the Radiance for progressive sources by selecting "Game Mode." This will improve this test pattern.

In my considered opinion, you are better off using a quality Blueray movie to judge Chroma bandwidth for real sources.
Naiera and Mike_WI like this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1418 of 1422 Old 02-18-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
In my considered opinion, you are better off using a quality Blueray movie to judge Chroma bandwidth for real sources.
Is there a specific movie and scene you can recommend? I'm not very experienced with this, so I think you'll have to explain to me exactly what I'm looking for.
post #1419 of 1422 Old 02-18-2015, 09:23 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Naiera:

Good question. Unfortunately I don't have a specific recommendation to give you.

You might look for a a scene with cloth that has saturated colors in a pattern that creates high frequency changes in color as opposed to only Luma.

Evaluation of actual video is much more difficult then using a test pattern. The biggest issue is knowing how much detail is actually contained in the source and how close to ideal the display is reproducing the material. Also, there tends to be high frequency Luma changes where there is high-frequency Chroma. This actually helps the image as the high frequency Luma compensates to some degree for having less resolution in Chroma.

Chroma is compressed a lot more than Luma in real material. First there is the fact that consumer video is encoded as 4:2:0 (i.e. 1/4 resolution for Chroma), and the "DCT truncation matrix" and other compression algorithms are much more aggressive at throwing out high-frequency Chroma than they are high-frequency Luma. All this complicates the task of evaluating Chroma further.

Test patterns exploit some special encoding that would not happen in real material and so they can have higher frequencies than is normal in encoded video. This makes them useful especially if they follow the Nyquist sampling rules used for video. On-off patterns can be useful as well, if evaluated knowing how they affect video filters.
alex_t and Naiera like this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1420 of 1422 Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have an interesting new bug: my Radiance XD can no longer pass through 1080p24 coming from my TiVo.

The issue surely arose as a result of a TiVo update, since my TiVo applies these automatically. My Radiance has not been updated for a couple years at least.

I know, the first resort for any problem is flash the latest firmware. And I might, but I sometimes hesitate do this when a) it has been a long time b) there is no way to roll back and c) there may be a simpler fix.

I have reviewed the last couple pages of this thread and did not see anything like this mentioned. So I'm asking now.

The issue happens when I am viewing VOD through the TiVo, either Amazon or Netflix (I haven't tested Xfinity yet) and the provider is streaming 1080p24.

I have my TiVo set to put out 1080p24 "pass-thru" if that's what *it* is receiving from upstream. This works when the TiVo is plugged straight into my TV, but not if the Radiance is in the chain.

I had the Radiance set to put *out* 1080p24 when it *received* 1080p24 on this input. It used to work, and this continues to work on other inputs such as the one for my Blu Ray player. But with the TiVo now I only get a picture if I set the Radiance to put out something else such as 1080p60.

It's more than just the picture: The TiVo even pauses playback when this problem occurs. Therefore I suspect TiVo has begun doing something new involving HDCP at the request of content providers. Playback works fine and I can see it if the TiVo and the Radiance can agree on something, I just don't know what.

I know, TiVo issue, but I thought I'd bring it up here since of course I will never get a knowledgeable response from a TiVo expert on something involving a Radiance whereas I might get the converse. Thanks in advance for supplying any interesting info you may have.
post #1421 of 1422 Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

NxNW:
We have not other reports of such an issue, and I think others would have reported it if they also had an issues with a TiVo. So it may be confined to your system.

When this occurs, pess OK to see the Status. See if HDCP is on for the input and off for the output. If a Blueray player (and/or other HDCP source) still work this is not likely to be it, but it is worth checking.

You say this happens with 1080p24, but does the image pass properly if you have the TiVo set to a different output resolution with the same VOD material? Have you tried setting the TiVo to output 1080i for these sources? If it is just that you can't get 1080p24, it would not be an HDCP issue. Instead it would more likely be an EDID issue.

You can try disconnecting and reconnecting power to all your equipment, including the Radiance, to see if there is something temporary that this might help.

It might be a coincidence and just unplugging and re-seating the HDMI cables a few times between the TiVO and Radiance may help, or even trying a different HDMI cable.

It could even be that the Radiance has developed a hardware issue.

I think updating software in the Radiance is a good idea, and you can regress software. Look to see which software release you have now (press OK to bring up the Status screen) and download (and save to a file) your current configuration using our config reader utility. Then if you want go back to the software you have now you can download the release you over wrote and load it again. You should not need to upload the config you downloaded before updating, but you would have it if you notice anything that might be configuration related.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1422 of 1422 Unread Today, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This is very helpful, thank you for your prompt and knowledgeable assistance. I'll work on these suggestions and post my findings here later on. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page