Official RadianceXD support thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1441 of 1458 Old 05-14-2015, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I just bought a used Radiance XD and haven't received it yet, but one one (simple) question came to my mind while I was figuring out how I would connect it to my setup:

I plan to use it right after my source (OPPO) and use its two hdmi outputs: one for the sound, to my AVR, and one for picture, to my projector.

I usually adjust my AVRs settings using its OSD since from where I sit, I cannot see my AVR. I guess that, with the above setup, I will only be able to adjust my AVRs settings using its front panel display? that is going to be inconvenient, since I have get to my equipment closet to do so...Is that the way it should be?

Stef
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1458 Old 05-15-2015, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You can do it the way you have planned...or you can just put sources through Radiance, output of Radiance to Receiver then output of receiver to display and you'll get the OSD as normal. If you are using the calibration tools in the scaler you will be able to compensate for any issues the receiver causes..but i'd hope if you set the thing to pass through hdmi you'll be good to go.

Convergent-AV
ISF, Home Theater Consultants and Distribution, U.K.
post #1443 of 1458 Old 05-15-2015, 04:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 354
I thought about that with my setup, but on my AVM50V, when you set it to "Through", you get no OSD, so there's no point in daisy chaining them. I just have one Lumagen output to the AVM50 for audio and the other to the projector for video. All sources feed into the Lumagen.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #1444 of 1458 Old 05-15-2015, 12:56 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 67
stef2:

With an XD or XE you can have the sources feed the Radiance, Radiance Output 1 to the AVR, and Radiance Output 2 to the projector/display. Then feed an analog output from the receiver to an analog input on the XD/XE. To see the OSD from the receiver, you select PiP for that analog input. The Pip window can be cropped to only show the area with the OSD. Additionally the PiP window can be set to auto time-out and turn off after a few seconds so you don't also need to turn it off.

If you have a control system, you can program, for example, a volume up macro to bring up the PiP window and click up on volume for the receiver. That way when you adjust volume, you will see the volume OSD from the receiver. Then if you have it set to time-out, PiP will turn itself off after the programmed time without needing another command.

You can also try the HDMI output of the receiver back to the Radiance, but this can create an HDMI authentication loop, which can cause issues. So we recommend an analog output from the receiver for the OSD.

=======

One other note on the RadianceXD. It does not support HD audio formats. So if you want HD audio formats it would need to be placed after the receiver. Or you can upgrade to an XE which does support HDMI 1.4 HD audio formats.
Gordon Fraser and Mike_WI like this.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1445 of 1458 Old 05-15-2015, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Thanks for your answers!
I think I will try using PIP witn an analog connection between my AVR and the Lumagen.

Stef
post #1446 of 1458 Old 06-10-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 760
I discovered a problem with the Radiance XS most recent software that I emailed to Lumagen late last night.

When configured for a 2.35:1 output aspect ratio with a 4:3 or 16:9 input source (pillarboxed in the center of the screen), the processor is cropping pixels off the right side of the image. This does not happen with the 2.35:1 preset button, nor does it happen at all when using a standard 16:9 output ratio.

I imagine that this problem likely also affects all the Radiance models.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1447 of 1458 Old 06-11-2015, 06:58 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I discovered a problem with the Radiance XS most recent software that I emailed to Lumagen late last night.

When configured for a 2.35:1 output aspect ratio with a 4:3 or 16:9 input source (pillarboxed in the center of the screen), the processor is cropping pixels off the right side of the image. This does not happen with the 2.35:1 preset button, nor does it happen at all when using a standard 16:9 output ratio.

I imagine that this problem likely also affects all the Radiance models.
I checked this and exactly one pixel is cropped on the right side of the 16:9 image when the output aspect is set to 2.35, and the input aspect is selected as 16:9.

Now on the bug list, but I do not think you would ever notice this on real material - which is probably why no one noticed until Josh tested with a test pattern. We understand why Josh is asking for this to be improved and we will look into this for the next release.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1448 of 1458 Old 06-12-2015, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Jim: Have you considered joining the diplomatic service?
Mike_WI likes this.
post #1449 of 1458 Old 06-12-2015, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
I checked this and exactly one pixel is cropped on the right side of the 16:9 image when the output aspect is set to 2.35, and the input aspect is selected as 16:9.

Now on the bug list, but I do not think you would ever notice this on real material - which is probably why no one noticed until Josh tested with a test pattern. We understand why Josh is asking for this to be improved and we will look into this for the next release.
I agree that one pixel column isn't a serious issue. Just thought it was worth reporting. Thanks.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #1450 of 1458 Old 06-17-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
stef2:

With an XD or XE you can have the sources feed the Radiance, Radiance Output 1 to the AVR, and Radiance Output 2 to the projector/display. Then feed an analog output from the receiver to an analog input on the XD/XE. To see the OSD from the receiver, you select PiP for that analog input. The Pip window can be cropped to only show the area with the OSD. Additionally the PiP window can be set to auto time-out and turn off after a few seconds so you don't also need to turn it off.

If you have a control system, you can program, for example, a volume up macro to bring up the PiP window and click up on volume for the receiver. That way when you adjust volume, you will see the volume OSD from the receiver. Then if you have it set to time-out, PiP will turn itself off after the programmed time without needing another command.

You can also try the HDMI output of the receiver back to the Radiance, but this can create an HDMI authentication loop, which can cause issues. So we recommend an analog output from the receiver for the OSD.

=======

One other note on the RadianceXD. It does not support HD audio formats. So if you want HD audio formats it would need to be placed after the receiver. Or you can upgrade to an XE which does support HDMI 1.4 HD audio formats.
This is great.
Will try it.

Thanks

Mike
post #1451 of 1458 Old 06-17-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This is why I wish the new models had PIP! We really use it for lots of things. Very handy feature. SJ
jjcook likes this.
post #1452 of 1458 Old 06-18-2015, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think I'm going to have to play with this. It's not mandatory or anything but it's really nice to be able to see the volume for example.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #1453 of 1458 Old 07-17-2015, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I emailed Jim about this already, but figured posting here might increase my odds at a quick response.

I have been (and still am) having issues getting iRule to properly control my XS-3D. I fear that some unintended commands got sent to the unit because last night when I went to watch a movie there was a lot of posterization going on. I switched my devices around, and it appears to only be happening on one of my inputs (HDMI 2). Any idea about what could have been changed, and how I would fix it?

The Hodor Theater - In Progress
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT
Surround/Back Speakers - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M
Subwoofers - Dual Passive JTR Captivator Pros
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR608
post #1454 of 1458 Old 07-17-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Have you tried turning it off and on? That usually clears out any changes, so long as you haven't saved them.

post #1455 of 1458 Old 07-17-2015, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

I honestly can't remember if I tried that last night or not. I think I did, but maybe I'm thinking of my Dune player which I had connected to that input initially. I'll have to check when I get home.

post #1456 of 1458 Old 07-17-2015, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I honestly can't remember if I tried that last night or not. I think I did, but maybe I'm thinking of my Dune player which I had connected to that input initially. I'll have to check when I get home.
OKay, restarting it solved the issue. It's working fine now.

I could still use help getting the iRule to work over RS232 though. Right now it seems only Power On, and Input selection is working.

post #1457 of 1458 Old 07-17-2015, 08:31 PM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I could still use help getting the iRule to work over RS232 though. Right now it seems only Power On, and Input selection is working.
If you have a PC with Hyperterminal, you can use the null modem cable you are connecting to the Radiance to connect to a serial port (or USB to serial adapter) on the PC. If no hyperterminal there are free equivalents on the web.

Set it to 9600 BAUD, 1 stop, no parity. Then watch what iRule is sending on the serial port and compare it to what should be being sent. This should help you identify the issue. I have had several professional programmers swear they were sending the correct RS232 commands, only to find out the control system was not doing what they expected using this technique. So this can really help debug the control code.

I suggest turning delimiters off if you have them on. They can complicate getting things running.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #1458 of 1458 Old Today, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

All my control issues seem to be fixed. It was the delimiters. I had them off, but all the commands had them. Thanks Jim.

I do have a question about the chain of devices. What is the reason that it's recommended the Lumagen be in front of the AVR instead of after? The one issue I am having is that the AV sync is off by different amounts depending on what device I'm using. I can adjust this on my AVR for each source, however, with the Lumagen in front, there is only one source on the AVR being used. Thus, I can fix it to sync with my Dune Player, but that throws it off for my PS4.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors