Official RadianceXD support thread - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1471 of 1482 Old 08-28-2016, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for the late reply. I bought that cheap one and it does work great. I haven't been brave enough to see if it solved the problem to which I was referring (the workaround I made seems to get me better sound quality, so...), but it runs the scaler just fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1482 Old 08-30-2016, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I have also posted this on the relevant JVC thread but thought I would also try here.

I am having trouble getting my Lumagen XD to work with my X7000/RS500. I am getting no picture/lumagen menu display etc at the moment. The JVC is indicating the following info:

Source: 480p
Deep color: 8 bit
Color Space: RGB

I have still to try a couple more cable swap outs to eliminate that problem and Jim from Lumagen has been, as is the standard from Lumagen, great with working through the problem with me.

I have done a factory reset on the Lumagen but have yet to apply a 'configuration erase' or updating the software as suggested by Jim. I will also try the Lumagen prior to my prepro rather than having it in the chain after the prepro.

In the interim (before my last change of cables testing and the above actions) I was hoping if any has any other suggestions as well as whether the fact that the feed into the JVC may require me to change some settings on the JVC

I have tried all color space options with no success but find no 'deep color' option that I can adjust on the JVC - is there an area to adjust that?

I have also tried HDMI2 with different EDID with no success.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
post #1473 of 1482 Old 08-30-2016, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2289 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
Do you have another display you could hook up temporarily? If so, try setting the Radiance back to a "normal" resolution like 720p and then reconnect it to the JVC.
post #1474 of 1482 Old 08-30-2016, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Do you have another display you could hook up temporarily? If so, try setting the Radiance back to a "normal" resolution like 720p and then reconnect it to the JVC.

Thanks stranger89. It does work on another display (with the resolution stating it is outputting 1080p) but I will double check/try your suggestion.
post #1475 of 1482 Old 08-30-2016, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It may well be a cable issue. The Lumagen and JVC are I think both a bit more sensitive to cable issues than other products (which I say ironically because my XE actually improved my system reliability over my AVM50V doing switching). Have you tried using a short cable temporarily?

I don't know if it applies anymore, but have you tried HDMI 2 on the JVC? I know with the RS49 generation, that input supposedly worked better. I haven't actually tried my XE with my RS600.
post #1476 of 1482 Old 08-30-2016, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
It may well be a cable issue. The Lumagen and JVC are I think both a bit more sensitive to cable issues than other products (which I say ironically because my XE actually improved my system reliability over my AVM50V doing switching). Have you tried using a short cable temporarily?

I don't know if it applies anymore, but have you tried HDMI 2 on the JVC? I know with the RS49 generation, that input supposedly worked better. I haven't actually tried my XE with my RS600.

I have tried shorter cables and longer cables and 2m cables between sources and the XD. What I haven't tried yet is a shorter cable (ie less than 10m) from the XD to the pj so that is on the testing schedule tonight.

I have also tried HDMI and the different EDIDs available on that input - unfortunately no luck.

I do appreciate the suggestions and hopefully I will get this sorted out. I just don't think I want to go to the trouble of running a new HDMI cable from the XD to the JVC as the access is horrendous (ie I have to remove roof sheeting at a very great height). I would then have to think about whether I move the XD closer to the JVC if a shorter cable resolves the issue but I am not sure I could do that.

I may end up simply leaving the XD out of the chain and using the JVC auto calc feature or pull my finger out and learn to do a manual calibration using Chromapure and the JVC CMS function.
post #1477 of 1482 Old 08-31-2016, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post
I have also posted this on the relevant JVC thread but thought I would also try here.

I am having trouble getting my Lumagen XD to work with my X7000/RS500. I am getting no picture/lumagen menu display etc at the moment. The JVC is indicating the following info:

Source: 480p
Deep color: 8 bit
Color Space: RGB

I have still to try a couple more cable swap outs to eliminate that problem and Jim from Lumagen has been, as is the standard from Lumagen, great with working through the problem with me.

I have done a factory reset on the Lumagen but have yet to apply a 'configuration erase' or updating the software as suggested by Jim. I will also try the Lumagen prior to my prepro rather than having it in the chain after the prepro.

In the interim (before my last change of cables testing and the above actions) I was hoping if any has any other suggestions as well as whether the fact that the feed into the JVC may require me to change some settings on the JVC

I have tried all color space options with no success but find no 'deep color' option that I can adjust on the JVC - is there an area to adjust that?

I have also tried HDMI2 with different EDID with no success.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes changing the boot sequence will solve problem as one or the other
components may not be ready to talk to the other.
post #1478 of 1482 Old 08-31-2016, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahull View Post
Sometimes changing the boot sequence will solve problem as one or the other
components may not be ready to talk to the other.

Thx rahull - have been trying that too but still have to try the sequence of turning on the pj last. I am having a bit of a break from testing at the moment by taking the XD out of the equation and just watch some movies instead.
post #1479 of 1482 Old 09-01-2016, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Honestly, the last couple generations of JVC are pretty good, outside of the gamma droop which is easily corrected with the JVC autocal, you don't really need an external CMS IMO. I pulled my XE out of the chain a while ago and I don't find myself missing it.
post #1480 of 1482 Old 09-01-2016, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

I am starting to think the same way stranger89. I just picked up a Spyder 5 PRO for a really good price so will give the JVC autocal a go. If you have any hints on using the autocal that would be great but perhaps by PM to keep this thread on topic (and I know I will have to spend some time reading the JVC autocal thread).
post #1481 of 1482 Old 09-02-2016, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post
I am starting to think the same way stranger89. I just picked up a Spyder 5 PRO for a really good price so will give the JVC autocal a go.
FWIW, it was 4K that got me to try my system without the Radiance, I had to bypass it for UHD Blu-ray/etc anyway, I figured I'd try it and see how things looked, and they looked remarkably similar.

Quote:
If you have any hints on using the autocal that would be great but perhaps by PM to keep this thread on topic (and I know I will have to spend some time reading the JVC autocal thread).
There's two gigantic threads in the Projector forum with way more knowledge than I have on that subject.
post #1482 of 1482 Old 09-11-2016, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Got to the bottom of my Lumagen/JVC X7000 problem - it was my 15m HDMI cable (which worked fine when using the Lumagen with my previous pj, the Sony VPL-VW95ES). I'll now compare the JVC autocalc to the Lumagen/Chromapure autocalc to see if I keep the Lumagen.

Thanks Stranger89 and rahull for your assistance (and Jim at Lumagen).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors