Official RadianceXD support thread - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1501 of 1510 Old 09-07-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,992
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Epson Home Cinema 5040UB

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmack View Post
Mostly budget, but also light output. Also, most of the reviews suggest a competitive contrast level with the JVCs - although not necessarily equivalent.
Interesting that they don't list native contrast ratio.
https://epson.com/For-Home/Projector...R/p/V11H713020
http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson-5040ub-review.htm

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & output x1 cards} - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Mike_WI is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1502 of 1510 Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 22,556
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3697 Post(s)
Liked: 2056
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmack View Post
Mostly budget, but also light output. Also, most of the reviews suggest a competitive contrast level with the JVCs - although not necessarily equivalent.
Hm, the Epson 5040 has a max calibrated native contrast ratio of 7000:1, and a max calibrated brightness of 1600 Lumens
https://translate.google.com/transla...t/&prev=search

The RS420 on the other hand has a minimum native contrast of 16,000:1 and a max calibrated brightness of 1540 Lumens.
https://translate.google.com/transla...0/&prev=search

I'd also go check out some reviews, most report the e-Shift on the JVCs is sharper/better than Epson's, pixel fill factor is better (less SDE)...

And as for price, you might want to check out closeout pricing on the RS420 or call AV Science about B-stock RS400's.
stanger89 is online now  
post #1503 of 1510 Old 09-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Member
 
slackmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Hm, the Epson 5040 has a max calibrated native contrast ratio of 7000:1, and a max calibrated brightness of 1600 Lumens
https://translate.google.com/transla...t/&prev=search

The RS420 on the other hand has a minimum native contrast of 16,000:1 and a max calibrated brightness of 1540 Lumens.
https://translate.google.com/transla...0/&prev=search

I'd also go check out some reviews, most report the e-Shift on the JVCs is sharper/better than Epson's, pixel fill factor is better (less SDE)...

And as for price, you might want to check out closeout pricing on the RS420 or call AV Science about B-stock RS400's.
Interesting. Thanks.
slackmack is offline  
 
post #1504 of 1510 Old 09-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Member
 
Naiera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I received an Amazon FireTV Stick the other day, and I cannot for the life of me get sound through my RadianceXD. I've tried everything I can think of; with and without the HDMI extender, with and without an HDMI switch, etc. Everything else works fine, from the Open Source Scan Converter, through modern videogame consoles, to my Apple TV 4.

The only way I've been able to get sound is to run it through my Oppo BDP-103, which is connected to my amplifier via stereo analogue. It's a bit of a pain to do it this way (turn on the Oppo with Eject so it doesn't play the disc in the tray, switch to that rear HDMI input...), so I'd love to hear suggestions as to how to solve this. I've turned on stereo sound output on the Stick, turned CEC and such off, etc. Please help
Naiera is offline  
post #1505 of 1510 Old 09-26-2017, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frank D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 96
What are the procedures to get a 2.35 movie onto my 16:9 screen using a Lumagen as either

1. To make it so that no black bars are showing on the top and bottom of screen and keeping same 2.35 ratio for movie. Advantage here is that the top and bottom parts of my screen are still there but are not lite up by my PJ so that they look darker in my dark HT room.

or

2. Properly stretch the 2.35 movie so that if fills my 16:9 screen. Although I do not think this will look right unless some how NLS can be used for this?

Thanks
Frank D is offline  
post #1506 of 1510 Old 09-26-2017, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 22,556
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3697 Post(s)
Liked: 2056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
What are the procedures to get a 2.35 movie onto my 16:9 screen using a Lumagen as either

1. To make it so that no black bars are showing on the top and bottom of screen and keeping same 2.35 ratio for movie. Advantage here is that the top and bottom parts of my screen are still there but are not lite up by my PJ so that they look darker in my dark HT room.
The black bars are limited by your projector, the Lumagen can't make them darker, unless you're talking variable aspect ratio movies, in which case it can black the parts that would be in the bars out.

Quote:
2. Properly stretch the 2.35 movie so that if fills my 16:9 screen. Although I do not think this will look right unless some how NLS can be used for this?
You're right, the only ways to make 2.35 fit into 1.78 is to either stretch, which introduces geometric distortion, or crop, which removes the sides.

Either way, this should answer your questions:
http://www.lumagen.com/docs/Tip0016_...ens_032712.pdf
stanger89 is online now  
post #1507 of 1510 Old 09-26-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frank D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
The black bars are limited by your projector, the Lumagen can't make them darker, unless you're talking variable aspect ratio movies, in which case it can black the parts that would be in the bars out.



You're right, the only ways to make 2.35 fit into 1.78 is to either stretch, which introduces geometric distortion, or crop, which removes the sides.

Either way, this should answer your questions:
http://www.lumagen.com/docs/Tip0016_...ens_032712.pdf
Thanks for the reply but that Tip seems to focus more on getting a 16:9 image onto a 2.35 screen. I am trying to do the opposite.

Currently when I display a 2.35 movie on my 16:9 screen my RS500 JVC pj lights up the top and bottom with its black bars but those bars are not so black or could be blacker if the PJ was not showing them at all. So I thought there was some way for the 2.35 image to be stretched up and down using the lumagem to fill a 16:9 screen and then maybe use my JVC to compress it back to 2.35 so that the JVC is not shinning any black bars on the top and bottom of my screen. Wondering if there is a procedure written somewhere to do this with the Lumagen ie using stretch or cropping etc.
Frank D is offline  
post #1508 of 1510 Old 09-26-2017, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
dlinsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Have you tried using the electronic masking option in the RS500? That turns off those pixels, but should be just the same as what's encoded on the disc anyway.

Both the Lumagen and JVC will do 2.35:1 vertical stretch to fill the 16:9 image, for use with an anamorphic lens, but the JVC cannot shrink it back.
dlinsley is offline  
post #1509 of 1510 Old 09-27-2017, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 22,556
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3697 Post(s)
Liked: 2056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
Thanks for the reply but that Tip seems to focus more on getting a 16:9 image onto a 2.35 screen. I am trying to do the opposite.

Currently when I display a 2.35 movie on my 16:9 screen my RS500 JVC pj lights up the top and bottom with its black bars but those bars are not so black or could be blacker if the PJ was not showing them at all.
Either they're as black as they can be, or you've got a calibration problem. Like I said the Lumagen can't make the bars darker, all it can do it output black for those areas, which is the exact same luminance as the black bars if you've calibrated your setup properly. There's no way (electronically) to reduce the light coming out of the projector beyond what it's capable of natively.

If the black bars aren't black then either you've got a calibration problem, which means black isn't as dark as it should be anywhere in the image.

The other possibility, is that your room is not treated well, do you have light colored walls? If so, then the bars are being lit up by light bouncing around your room.

Quote:
So I thought there was some way for the 2.35 image to be stretched up and down using the lumagem to fill a 16:9 screen and then maybe use my JVC to compress it back to 2.35 so that the JVC is not shinning any black bars on the top and bottom of my screen. Wondering if there is a procedure written somewhere to do this with the Lumagen ie using stretch or cropping etc.
That is not possible without an anmorphic lens. You can't change a physical property of the projector (the shape of the light) electronically.
stanger89 is online now  
post #1510 of 1510 Old 09-27-2017, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frank D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Ok. Thanks guys. I thought there was a way to do it without and anmorphic lens.
Frank D is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Video Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off