Shorter composite video cable better than longer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-03-2008, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been waiting on reasonably priced 35' CL2 rated composite video cables to become available for months now. Monoprice has been out of stock and so have Tartan Cables. I thought I finally found a vendor off Amazon, but he ended up running out too. It seems theres some kind of national shortage or something.

Anyway, I see Monoprice has a 50' finally in stock and I'm getting ready to just go with that. I really don't want to go with 50' because even 35' is too long for where I'm installing it, but the next smaller size (25') is too short. I also seem to remember reading some where that with respect to analog signals, the longer cable could actually give me a more washed out image than the shorter one depending on environmental factors.

My question is would I really notice a difference between a 50' and 35' cable? Should I wait yet another two weeks for Monoprice to get the 35' in stock? I'm really anxious to get my home theater project all wrapped up, and the only thing holding me back is the waiting on parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-03-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Did you really mean composite, or component? Really in either case...shorter is better. The difference between 50 and 35 is probably not going to be noticed though. If you really did mean composite, the source is going to be the limitation much more than the cable (hardly anything uses composite anymore).
post #3 of 7 Old 07-03-2008, 03:05 PM

An installer would run some RG-59 coax and install some RCA connectors on the ends of the coax. You can get what you need at Home Depot.

Randy
post #4 of 7 Old 07-08-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

RG6 please...don't use RG59.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-08-2008, 03:12 PM

This is a very short run of coax and it's for audio, not for an antenna. A good quality RG-59 coax with a copper braided shield offers better shielding at the lower audio frequencies. A RG-6 coax that has a foil shield offers better shielding at higher frequencies for an antenna. You really should avoid using coax with a foil shield for this low frequency application. But for such a short run of coax, any good quality RG-59 or RG-6 coax will work just fine even if it has a foil shield.

Randy
post #6 of 7 Old 07-08-2008, 10:31 PM

Hi, RandyFreeman.
I liked all what ever information you have given in your post. Its seems to be useful to me.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-09-2008, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Right but you are comparing apples to oranges. Good shielded RG6 will still perform better than the same level RG59...for minimal cost increase.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page