XGA scaler w/tuner for under $200? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 208 Old 01-28-2002, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
kbk
I'm not expert in video or digital camera. i look at to yours photos, but they are seem not very sharp. I don't know if they reflect the real image or not (du zoom in or du to your camera or any thing else) . Any comment please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 208 Old 01-28-2002, 09:32 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If I made them smaller they would seem considerably sharper. Run windows at 1600x1200..and load them again. They will be at the native resolution of the display monitor,and take up the monitor size exactly. Then they will seem very sharp.. overall. Three is LOTS of detail popping out in the shots, if you look closely enough.

i freely admit they are not good.. but they ARE better than most shots thave has ever been posted on the forum. It is their overall size that fools people. Since you have access to the raw data, I am not trying to 'trick' your eye. I am telling YOU to be the judge. I won't 'set the shot up' for you.

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #93 of 208 Old 01-29-2002, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Ken,

Any news on the possible component in and/or auto sensing of progressive input on this box.

Thanks,
Kensai
post #94 of 208 Old 01-29-2002, 12:15 PM

How do you think this would work on a Replay hooked up to a 42" plasma that is 852x480? Would it help the quality of the picture (which is acceptable at High Quality recording)? I would love to find a way to clean up the PQ on Replay use since that is the biggest drawback on my Plasma. Any other ideas would be helpful.
post #95 of 208 Old 01-29-2002, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

The ViewSonic is *not* PAL compatible. This just in from Tech Support from ViewSonic today in answer to my PAL compatibility query:

No it is not at this time.

>>> <imc-reply@viewsonic.com> 01/29/02 10:37AM >>>
Sender : maxcat@wave.co.nz
Tracking Number : T20020129007PZ394934
Pool : ViewSonic Tech Support
Sent to : vstech@viewsonic.com
Date : 1/29/02 10:40 AM
---

Hi can you advise if the ViewSonic VB50 is PAL compatible in its scaling (I know the TV tuner section is US only) output via the
S-Video and Composite inputs.

Thanks

Max Christoffersen
post #96 of 208 Old 01-30-2002, 12:37 AM

There is a very similar product available called the"TV-4000 XGA Theater" which I think does PAL.
http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/tv4000.htm
post #97 of 208 Old 01-30-2002, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 179
With my Viewsonic VB50 and when inputting certain noisy black and white video via the s-video inputs from a VCR the VB50 will incorrectly recognize the input as being a PAL source and the on-screen display will pop-up to indicate the current output resolution and also that the input is PAL. Therfore, I suspect that Viewsonic considers the VB50 an NTSC-only unit simply because the unit's tuner and it associated menu and channel numbers are designed for the NTSC market, but perhaps the composite and s-video can in fact accept PAL. In that case the unit would certainly not be fully PAL compatible, but would be useable if you don't need the tuner section.

Ron Jones
www.dtvmax.com

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #98 of 208 Old 01-30-2002, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
So I went ahead and ordered one from PC Nation. Mainly going to be using it for scaling bad reception cable and Dreamcast via s-video. I'm looking forward to comparing to my HTPC with DScaler and a Cybertainment AV card
post #99 of 208 Old 01-30-2002, 09:44 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kensai
Ken,

Any news on the possible component in and/or auto sensing of progressive input on this box.

Thanks,
Kensai
I have striven to help clear up the myth I nearly helped create. The box will NOT accept component in, with the input chip it uses. If they had chosen a different philips chip, it might take component, or progressive. Apparently, it will take such in digital format, but not analog. Too bad. At least it does analog very well.

Ken Hotte

post #100 of 208 Old 01-31-2002, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Ken,

Thanks for the clarification. That is a shame, but there has to be some limits to the thing, otherwise what would make it so many hundreds of $$$ different from normal HT grade equipment, eh?

Namlemez,

Dude, I hope you're scaling to a projector or something. Dreamcast has direct VGA output, and nothing I've tried so far has come even close to that on my monitor. Not even my Game Cube over SVideo through DScaler compares (and I've dropped my signal noise to practically 0 through my own personal modifications to my WinTV card and the new Gradual Noise filter). DC versus GC over the same method shows the GCs output, at least at SVideo to be obviously superior (tested with games in common Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure 2), but DC over VGA is still the best looking console to date.

Everybody,

Since I digressed into console games here, I'll just throw this out. Any ideas about getting pure VGA from a Game Cube? I've done the transcoder thing, and while it does look good, its only marginally better than my DScaler setup and introduces a whole load of other problems. There has to be some way to display one of these still currently produced consoles directly to VGA to try to dethrone the Dreamcasts awesome picture quality.

Thanks for putting up with my little diversion,
Kensai
post #101 of 208 Old 01-31-2002, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the VGA box...I just find it a hassle to use since my display has only one input, a solitary VGA one. I guess I really should buy a splitter, but up until now I've just used the s-video.

It also was a problem because my display doesn't have memories and I would need to recalibrate every time I switch to Dreamcast.
post #102 of 208 Old 01-31-2002, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Namlemez,

Are you using a monitor or something else? A KVM switch would do well for you though. Belkin's new E series switches have really great looking signal pass through and are alot cheaper than previous generation units. I use the 4-port model. I gave $99.99 for it retail. The 2-port goes for $79.99. Another great thing about these is that you can power them externally if you're just going to use them as video switches (I use my as part of my PC setup, so its actually powered through my keyboard port). Very, very useful devices. I use it to hook up my old laptop so I can wordprocess while I make video captures with my big machine. I use it for my DC. I've still got one slot open for maybe a VB50 or iScan unit or maybe even the holy grail of a Game Cube or Xbox VGA connection.

Kensai
post #103 of 208 Old 01-31-2002, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

27" SVGA Computer monitor basically. Its from a Gateway Destination.

Actually, I'm feeling rather intelligent now. Turns out it does have different memories. It has TV and PC modes, and I thought TV was just more overscanned and colored different. It made sense to me at first it wouldn't support two different options because it was originally made to be only hooked up to one PC.

Maybe I will try out that Belkin switcher. I would only need the two port one, as I think I'm going to run the PC through the pass-through on the VB50.
post #104 of 208 Old 01-31-2002, 03:55 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

i'm really diging the simplicity of using the scaler to just-wtch-a movie, instead of playing around withthe darned HTPc,adn the 'big rig monster machine'. It really keeps things simple.

Being a computer kinda guy.. I have NEVER used a scaler before. it's great to just watch a movie for once. I love this. Hug your scaler today.

Ken Hotte

post #105 of 208 Old 01-31-2002, 08:37 PM

Are thre any issues with macrovision with this unit??

Thanks,
Sean

How do you make pickle bread???

With Dill-dough!

;0)
post #106 of 208 Old 01-31-2002, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, some DVD have more MV than others. Darkman for example is really bad while other movies are fine. Alternating light and dark shades every 3-5 seconds. Not bothersome but definitely noticeable. If you use a MV free DVD player (Daewoo DVG_5700 for $99 at Sam's Club or MV buster like the $47 one shipped from overseas, you'd be fine. I personally think it's best for NTSC and VHS and leave DVDs for HTPC or progressive players as it does not do anamorphic squeeze on my LT150 (would not sync to 848X480 to save its life) though CRT owners said they got the squeeze out of this unit.

Huey ;-]
post #107 of 208 Old 02-01-2002, 05:35 AM

Can you tell me more about the macrovision buster? Also, I love the HTPC, but my wife would love to walk in, and put a movie on without "getting a degree in computer engeneering," as she says... ;o)

PQ is less of an issue with her than ease of use.

Sean

With Dill-dough!

;0)
post #108 of 208 Old 02-01-2002, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

My prior projector (LT100) showed some funky distortion when fred the progressive scan output of my RP56 on DVDs with macrovision. Forum member CKL did a macrovision mod for me, which removes the macrovision on all DVDs. It solved the problem perfectly.

Now I have the LT150, and I figured the usefulness of the macrovision mod had passed. However, I picked up the Viewsonic scaler, and because of the mod I don't have problems with any DVDs with macrovision.

By the way, my LT150 will also not sync on the 848 x 480.

Steve
post #109 of 208 Old 02-01-2002, 12:39 PM

I went out and bought one of these today and am watching Austin Powers. The subtle changes in brightness are driving me crazy. The picture goes from good, to washed out, to a bit dark... I'm not sure the wife would be bothered much, but it's driving me nuts.

Also, the picture controls are too coarse to be of much use. Unless someone can tell me how to fix the macrovision problems on my Sony 7700 or this unit, It'll go back to Comp USA in the morning.

It's really too bad, as the deinterlacing quality is acceptable to me. If the picture controls were a bit finer and the Macrovision wasn't an issue, I'd be really impressed.

Sean

With Dill-dough!

;0)
post #110 of 208 Old 02-01-2002, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1323483407 ($44 + S+H)--exact same unit as lik-sang's below except from US source. It's cheaper to order direct from Hong Kong.

http://www.simacorp.com/sedcm.html ($79)

http://www.simacorp.com/scc.html ($100)

http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=1365& (cheapest at $39 and $8 S+H)

MV causes problems with a lot of scaler/doubler and PJ, not just with VB50. You really should use VB50 for NTSC or VHS and use HTPC or prog. scan player for DVD.

Huey ;-]
post #111 of 208 Old 02-01-2002, 05:22 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

I find the pumping of the RP-56 when used withthe VB50 is very limited in scope and intensity. It may be possible to program the AGC circuit a bit better. There is a potentiometer on the thing(VB50), and I will see why it is there. I think it may be for the AGC fine tuning. This would allow it to meet MV spec, at the same time it can be tuned out. Just like Hitachi did, and was nearly shot down for. (VHS VCR MV fix built right into the VCR)

Ken Hotte

post #112 of 208 Old 02-01-2002, 07:54 PM

Ken,

If that's the case, Ill be one happy camper! I'll hang on to it for the next week or so until we can see if this theory pans out. I didn't see any pots inside, unless they were covered to look like Little red buttons.

I have great respect for you after looking at the circuit board. How you can troubleshoot or even make sense of a board like that is simply beyond me.

Thank you,
Sean

Oh, and I agree that the pumping is minimal, but it's just enough to get on my nerves....

;o/

With Dill-dough!

;0)
post #113 of 208 Old 02-04-2002, 05:11 PM

KBK,

Are you still offering the modded viewsonics? If so, I'd like to have one, my email address is seanchrisa@attbi.com

thanks,

Sean Connors

With Dill-dough!

;0)
post #114 of 208 Old 02-04-2002, 06:58 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Becase of a screw up (ug!!!) I have not had any emails for three days! (poor me, I'll have to seek therapy)

I'll have to see if the ones sent are lost or not. Who knows what was sent to me? Maybe the winning lottery numbers where sent to me. Maybe it was people asking if their stuff was in the mail yet. Maybe I'll count myself lucky I had no email....

Somebody send me one,and then report back waht happens! I still have not had one since the first of feb.

Ken Hotte

post #115 of 208 Old 02-04-2002, 07:12 PM

Ken I just dent you a test Email...

Hope you get it fixed,
Sean

With Dill-dough!

;0)
post #116 of 208 Old 02-05-2002, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Ken my test e-mail to you bounced.

I have also found this unit:
http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/tv4000.htm

I may try this as the PAL B/G tuner section may be useable downunder where the Viewsonic is not.The service from this company is *outstanding*. They are unsure about total tuner frequency compatibility here and are offering the unit on a trial or return (some 16,000 miles+) minus freight if it isn't compatible. Full points Scancom! I really just want the upscaling facility and checked to see if it did offer the 852 x 480 as does the Viewsonic, but the reply was:
"The Viewsonic product is built to a different specification and is not the same as the TV-4000 XGA Theater."
So the prospect of further market tweaks, market by market are there: they really could sell this as a projector tuner with upscaling facility - perhaps Ken there is a market segment there ready and waiting for your modified units?

Max Christoffersen
www.audioenz.co.nz
post #117 of 208 Old 02-05-2002, 11:21 AM
KBK
AVS Special Member

The machine is identical to the viewsonic, and the philips in it (input chip) recognizes all inpt formats, and decodes accordingly.

There is no differece in any of them, I suspect the tuner function is the universal PAL/NTSC tuner block as well, so the world wide compatibility is there. Sorta reminds me of the PJ wars that are going on right now with japaneese pricing vs US pricing. L171.00 is ridicullous on the pricing,and is literally almost 100% more than I am paying for the thing from a canadian dealer. And, i think i'm paying too much! ($195 cdn after taxes)

Sent from the states, and hand deliverd in 24 hours by a man in 3-piece suit would have to be cheaper than (locally) marching down the street and buying one from these people.

Ken Hotte

post #118 of 208 Old 02-05-2002, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

I have to agree on pricing issues: The most extreme example I have is the NEC LT-150 projector. On the Dell deal; $1700US - downunder - $17,000NZ. (The 40 cent to the Greenback exchange rate doesn't help...)...but......Anyway back to the scaler -the tuner thing is interesting in that if I read it right, the Viewsonic will accept off air stereo via MTS. Our stereo broadcast equivalent is NICAM and the tuner in the TV-4000 is not NICAM compatible. So I am screwed there, but there is a work-around using other NICAM outputs elsewhere in the system. But Ken help me out here: is there a way of gaining the 852x480 out of the UK unit if it is not specified? Otherwise it's buy an AA 9A62 between my progressive and my DWIN.

Max Christoffersen
www.audioenz.co.nz
post #119 of 208 Old 02-05-2002, 01:37 PM
dje

Ken,

Sent you PM test mail.

By the way, do you know yet when you might be ready to ship? :D :p

- David Eddy