post #3751 of 7104 Old 03-22-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

How many of you guys have your DVDO EDGE contolled by Pronto or other Universal remotes that have Wifi and extenders? The reason being I find that at times going though the extender and the back of the Dvdo Edge IR jack the unit becomes unresponsive.

G'day Frank, Im running mine thru the rear 3.5mm IR jack from my old URC MRF-250 RF-IR BaseStation and it is pretty reliable most of the time (remote is URC MX-810).

Any issues I do have are due to the 250 being the old "BroadBand" RF and my remote being the newer "NarrowBand" RF - I plan to replace the 25 with the newer and more capable MRF-350 at some point.

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 7104 Old 03-22-2009, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post

G'day Frank, Im running mine thru the rear 3.5mm IR jack from my old URC MRF-250 RF-IR BaseStation and it is pretty reliable most of the time (remote is URC MX-810).

Any issues I do have are due to the 250 being the old "BroadBand" RF and my remote being the newer "NarrowBand" RF - I plan to replace the 25 with the newer and more capable MRF-350 at some point.

Thanks djos. I find it annoying at times it works and then it just doesn't and have to rip out the old remote to get into the menu system. I copied the IR codes that were downloadable through PDF.

Frank

post #3753 of 7104 Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

BTW, it has a dash (-). HD DVD includes both HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.master.dre View Post

I was quite sure it was "HD DVD" and "Blu-ray", not HD-DVD. Hence the AvsForum section titled:

Blu-ray & HD DVD Area

Quote:

I think were all at a stage now we know what were talking about and not really worry about how it's written.

Fair enough but if we are going to start telling people how to spell we should know how ourselves...

I spent 5 minutes double checking because I wanted to be sure. If HD-DVD is correct I want to know because then I have been wrong for 2 plus years.
post #3754 of 7104 Old 03-22-2009, 09:49 PM

According to the Toshiba spec sheets the format has always been "HD DVD", not "HD-DVD". Although I don't think using HD-DVD makes people think of some other format, other than HD DVD. I have been guilty of using the "-" and even Toshiba does so on their website in some locations. Not that any of this is really important anyways...

HD-A1 (at the beginning): http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...hd-a1_spec.pdf
HD-A35 (at the end): http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...D-A35_spec.pdf

And I have never heard that 1080i is the native resolution for HD DVDs, actually sspears (Stacey Spears from Microsoft) is the one that told me that they were mostly 1080p-24.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my previous or current employers.
post #3755 of 7104 Old 03-22-2009, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks djos. I find it annoying at times it works and then it just doesn't and have to rip out the old remote to get into the menu system. I copied the IR codes that were downloadable through PDF.

try learning the codes from your edge remote instead? If there is no difference i'd blame your rf part of the system as they can be a bit flaky depending on the location of the antenna and general rf interferance.

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
post #3756 of 7104 Old 03-22-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

And I have never heard that 1080i is the native resolution for HD DVDs, actually sspears (Stacey Spears from Microsoft) is the one that told me that they were mostly 1080p-24.

Yeah I had always thought that both HD DVD and Blu-ray were 1080p/24fps as well.

Aren't SD DVD encoded at 24fps as well, hence the need for 3:2 pulldown features on players? I assume 480i/24fps if that is possible.
post #3757 of 7104 Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

try learning the codes from your edge remote instead? If there is no difference i'd blame your rf part of the system as they can be a bit flaky depending on the location of the antenna and general rf interferance.

Yes I just did I see how it goes.

Frank

post #3758 of 7104 Old 03-23-2009, 01:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Probably the best setting would be to force 1080p output on the Edge to your pj, send native signals to the Edge whenever possible, and turn 1:1 framelock on (I'm assuming the RS1 accepts 1080p50, p60 and 1080p24).

1080p24 conversion of DVD by the HD DVD player is suspect. I know that on my XA2 it didn't work well and was jerky. You are better off sending 480i/p for DVD to the Edge and allowing it to do the conversion.

With framelock on, Edge will output the same frame/field rate as the input. For 480i60, it will output 1080p60. For 1080p24 input, it will output 1080p24. To force the Edge to convert 480i60 from DVD to 1080p24, you'll need to set Edge to 1080p24 output and toggle 1:1 framerate OFF.

Thankyou cpcat it worked well. Just tried it.

Frank

post #3759 of 7104 Old 03-23-2009, 04:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

there is nothing annoying about the animations when changing aspect ratios!!!

The animation shows you exactly what the edge is doing to your picture when you press each aspect ratio button!

+1

Frank

post #3760 of 7104 Old 03-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.master.dre View Post

Yeah I had always thought that both HD DVD and Blu-ray were 1080p/24fps as well.

Aren't SD DVD encoded at 24fps as well, hence the need for 3:2 pulldown features on players? I assume 480i/24fps if that is possible.

no.

i think the word "encoded" is getting misused a lot here.

if it were on topic i would try to be more helpful. but the most helpful i could be for people looking for information on the edge is to quit taking up space with posts that contain no information about the edge.
post #3761 of 7104 Old 03-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Question. Beta firmware 1.20 has been mentioned, does anyone know what this will change/address? Increase the 1080p24 abilities? 1080p60 --> 1080p24, please!!
post #3762 of 7104 Old 03-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancmjr View Post

It is strange. When you do reinstall V1.1 post your findings. I'd be curious if it was a poorly done installation on my part, or a buggy update.

I tried reinstalling two different ways...

1) repeating the same procedure using the *.abt file. I'm actually using a Macbook Pro running Windows in a VMware virtual machine, but deleting the existing file and copying the new one to the Edge attached usb 'drive' seems to work fine. One thing that I did find curious (not sure if this has been covered elsewhere) is that the 1.1 file I put on the machine is reportedly 383K, but the 1.1 file that I delete from edge is showing up as 462K. Interesting.

2) to eliminate the possibility that the VM was somehow introducing a subtle glitch I also tried the Macintosh updater executable version of the 1.1 upgrade.

Both of these attempts yielded the same end result - settings in 1.1 for me do not survive any power bounce (either pulling the plug or just using the buttons on the remote.) I've also had the unit just lock up and stop responding at all to the remote. Sometimes this happens when I'm trying to select a different input, but it also locks up on its own when I'm not trying to do anything but watch a program.

The possibility that I have a hardware issue is increasing... somehow the 1.0 firmware just didn't reveal it - although I haven't tried reverting to 1.0 yet to see if there is now some problem for me even with that version. I can't believe that the behavior that I'm observing was somehow overlooked by all the beta testers before 1.1 was released.

Kevin
post #3763 of 7104 Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post

Question. Beta firmware 1.20 has been mentioned, does anyone know what this will change/address? Increase the 1080p24 abilities? 1080p60 --> 1080p24, please!!

I haven't heard anything about particular features, but I have heard that the way that settings are stored is being changed to a way that should survive future firmware updates.
post #3764 of 7104 Old 03-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKevinK View Post

I tried reinstalling two different ways...

1) repeating the same procedure using the *.abt file. I'm actually using a Macbook Pro running Windows in a VMware virtual machine, but deleting the existing file and copying the new one to the Edge attached usb 'drive' seems to work fine. One thing that I did find curious (not sure if this has been covered elsewhere) is that the 1.1 file I put on the machine is reportedly 383K, but the 1.1 file that I delete from edge is showing up as 462K. Interesting.

2) to eliminate the possibility that the VM was somehow introducing a subtle glitch I also tried the Macintosh updater executable version of the 1.1 upgrade.

Both of these attempts yielded the same end result - settings in 1.1 for me do not survive any power bounce (either pulling the plug or just using the buttons on the remote.) I've also had the unit just lock up and stop responding at all to the remote. Sometimes this happens when I'm trying to select a different input, but it also locks up on its own when I'm not trying to do anything but watch a program.

The possibility that I have a hardware issue is increasing... somehow the 1.0 firmware just didn't reveal it - although I haven't tried reverting to 1.0 yet to see if there is now some problem for me even with that version. I can't believe that the behavior that I'm observing was somehow overlooked by all the beta testers before 1.1 was released.

Kevin

Maybe we should have been beta testers . Could be that we both have units from the same manufacturing batch that have some bad components in them, if that is the case. I have a Windows Vista laptop that I used to install the update.

post #3765 of 7104 Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancmjr View Post

Maybe we should have been beta testers . Could be that we both have units from the same manufacturing batch that have some bad components in them, if that is the case. I have a Windows Vista laptop that I used to install the update.

Larry from DVDO sent me the 1.20 beta to see if it helped any... and it wouldn't complete the install. This one's gonna have to go back to the mothership for service.

Kevin
post #3766 of 7104 Old 03-23-2009, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Larry from DVDO sent me the 1.20 beta to see if it helped any... and it wouldn't complete the install. This one's gonna have to go back to the mothership for service.

Kevin

Kevin, I thought the same thing, it needs a few more minutes to install while the green LED is flashing, unlike the previous firmwares.

-Tom
post #3767 of 7104 Old 03-23-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post

Kevin, I thought the same thing, it needs a few more minutes to install while the green LED is flashing, unlike the previous firmwares.

Mine flashes back and forth from green to red for a minute or two, and then just sticks on red. I've left it sit like that for >15 minutes. From that point it behaves mostly like a brick.
post #3768 of 7104 Old 03-23-2009, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Mine flashes back and forth from green to red for a minute or two, and then just sticks on red. I've left it sit like that for >15 minutes. From that point it behaves mostly like a brick.

Ok, doesn't sound good than....

-Tom
post #3769 of 7104 Old 03-23-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post

Ok, doesn't sound good than....

Yep. I just flashed it back to 1.0 to make do until I receive further instructions from ABT.
post #3770 of 7104 Old 03-24-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:

From that point it behaves mostly like a brick.

It doesn't respond?

The manual states:

What does the color of the Status LED on EDGE mean?

EDGE power LED color table:
LED Description
Off Standby Mode
Red No Signal Received
Green Unknown/Unsupported Signal Received
Blue EDGE is processing the input

If you do a full blown reset(hold reset button for 10 seconds) it will blink like crazy for a while.

I also tried the v1.2 and after disconnecting the pc from the Edge it does blink like crazy for a while.....You got to wait it out.
post #3771 of 7104 Old 03-24-2009, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdamocles View Post

It doesn't respond?

The manual states:

LED Description
Off Standby Mode
Red No Signal Received

If you do a full blown reset(hold reset button for 10 seconds) it will blink like crazy for a while.

I also tried the v1.2 and after disconnecting the pc from the Edge it does blink like crazy for a while.....You got to wait it out.

Seeing what some of you guys are going through im glad my was already updated when I purchased it.

Frank

post #3772 of 7104 Old 03-24-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Two Edge units on order. From reading this, I think I will be quite pleased feeding my large screen DLPs.

Jerry the HT Nut
post #3773 of 7104 Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:

It doesn't respond?

The manual states:

LED Description
Off Standby Mode
Red No Signal Received

While you were 'waiting it out', was the LED still blinking? Mine blinks for a minute or two and then stops and stays on red. All of the upgrade instructions I've read suggest that once it stops blinking it should be good to go. The printed interpretation of "No Signal Received" doesn't really seem to make sense here - all of the signals are still as live as when I started the upgrade (unless there is some HDCP handshake that is in the process of being renegotiated.) Do you really think that there is something useful going on after 15 minutes of solid red?

Also... if it was a matter of 'waiting it out', I would have thought that Larry at ABT would have told me to just be patient instead of asking for my serial number to begin the service process.
post #3774 of 7104 Old 03-24-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Do you really think that there is something useful going on after 15 minutes of solid red?

Mine also stopped at solid red. I just powered down the unit with the remote. Were you able to power it down after the solid red?
post #3775 of 7104 Old 03-24-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Do you really think that there is something useful going on after 15 minutes of solid red?

Okay, I see that you have a problem with losing settings....Mine updated the same way as you but with no problems......
post #3776 of 7104 Old 03-24-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Mine also stopped at solid red. I just powered down the unit with the remote. Were you able to power it down after the solid red?

Not with the remote. Pulling the power cord worked.

Quote:

Okay, I see that you have a problem with losing settings....Mine updated the same way as you but with no problems......

Yep... 1.0 still works like it always did, but 1.1 consistently forgets all settings after a power bounce.

I didn't yet try the 'hard reset' after a 1.2 flash. Tonight's gonna be a washout (going after work to see Victor Wooten in Annapolis)... maybe tomorrow.
post #3777 of 7104 Old 03-25-2009, 11:52 AM

I'm thinking of getting an EDGE to go with my Samsung LN40A550 and Oppo 970, no other sources, and was wondering: if I watch a widescreen movie and then a 4:3 tv show on dvd will I have to manually change the aspect ratio or will the hardware do it? Right now the Oppo handles it just fine.

Also, do you think the PQ on such humble equipment will benefit from an EDGE? I love my DVD collection.
post #3778 of 7104 Old 03-25-2009, 02:38 PM

Hi. I'm seeing a lot of refurb/reconditioned EDGE units for sale out there. What risk is there in purchasing one of these items? I think a refurb would be ok since it should be all solid/state IC electronics but I wanted to get feedback on why there are refurbs and what level of risk is involved.

THe warranty was quoted as 3 months. I can't find warranty issue on the EDGE from DVDO site (even in the manual).

Thanks for any answers... waiting to order today.
post #3779 of 7104 Old 03-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My Edge recently had a glitch with v1.1> After 4 months of use the edge's horizontal controls suddenly became stuck @ 100% instead of the programmed %, this problem occured when I stitched HDMI inputs then back to HDMI 1 port, spoke with Larry and Ken and they said it was due to hardware failure and I should send the unit back> Larry sent me the Beta version of 1.2 firmware and it resolved the issue. I timed the front LED blinking and took about 3mins after that evrything has worked fine ~ inlcuding the horizontal memory controls. I'llbe keeping my eye out in the next few months for any re-occurance of it.
post #3780 of 7104 Old 03-26-2009, 02:33 AM

I all

I am Thinking of buying the EDGE tomorrow, My setup is Panasonic Projector AX200 soon to be replaced with the AE3000, My Receiver is Onkyo 803 very low video Processor My Blu-ray player is BD10A Panasonic & samsung BDP-1000.

I should notices a difference it the Picture at the moment I get a little bit of jagged edging I hope that goes away when I get the EDGE.

One more think does it pass PCM multichannel trough the EDGE, I will be putting my display direct in the EDGE and audio to the AVR to get the Best picture.

Is this thing worth it for me

Thanks
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page