CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdblu View Post

I all

I am Thinking of buying the EDGE tomorrow, My setup is Panasonic Projector AX200 soon to be replaced with the AE3000, My Receiver is Onkyo 803 very low video Processor My Blu-ray player is BD10A Panasonic & samsung BDP-1000.

I should notices a difference it the Picture at the moment I get a little bit of jagged edging I hope that goes away when I get the EDGE.

One more think does it pass PCM multichannel trough the EDGE, I will be putting my display direct in the EDGE and audio to the AVR to get the Best picture.

Is this thing worth it for me

Thanks

well it passes DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD no problems I can't see why not PCM.

At a guess the picture should be better, personally I find the DVDO edge did a better job then my toshiba xe-1

Frank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 7106 Old 03-26-2009, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I use an Edge with a high end Projector (JVC-RS2) and a high end audio processor (Cary Cinema 11A)

The Edge is worth it just for the input switching and lip sync. The fact that it will do an excellent job, if set up correctly, on the video is an added benefit. Many good PJ's include some sort of video processor. In my case I ensure that the PJ does no video processing by having the Edge put out the PJ's native resolution on a 1:1 pixel matched basis over HDMI. This puts the video chain as all digital from the Edge through the PJ.

When using a set top box (DVR) putting out 1080i or 720p I get one stage of scaling in the Edge, but no D/A conversions keeping everything in the digital domain where it belongs in todays world. I instruct the DVR to put out whatever resolution it gets transmitted thereby causing it not to do any video processing. On the DVD changers I instruct them to output 480i as that is their native scan rate and once again the Edge does a better job than the scaler in the "old" changer".

The Cary reports DTS-MA and the other Hidef codecs providing the BR player (Panasonic BD30) is set up correctly for that disk. Most disks default to pcm assuming that bitstream is not able to be handled, so setting up the BR player is on a disk by disk basis.

One would think that with all the intelligence in the HDMI chain the BR player could set itself up!!! The Edge gets the Audio capability from the Cary Ciema 11A, the BR player should get it from the Edge and should be smart enough to make life easier.
post #3783 of 7106 Old 03-26-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, just noticed the AVS Powerbuy on the Edge. For those that just check their email for updates on the thread.. there's a Powerbuy that ends *tomorrow* (Friday, 3/27). $499

-Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3784 of 7106 Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimj View Post

Wow, just noticed the AVS Powerbuy on the Edge. For those that just check their email for updates on the thread.. there's a Powerbuy that ends *tomorrow* (Friday, 3/27). $499

Damn thats a good price. What does it retail in the States usually? Over in Australia at a discount we pay $1250AUS.

Frank

post #3785 of 7106 Old 03-26-2009, 10:38 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post

Absolute rubbish!

99% of HD DVD movies are 24p with 3:2 pull-down flags (for 1080p60) and all good HD-DVD players just ignore the 3:2 pull-down flags and output 24p!

PS. I have never ever seen any of my 80 HD DVD's output and anything less than 1080p24 from my LG BH200 SuperBlu Player.

My LG BH200 ouputs Harry Potter 1, 2 and 5 in 1080p/60 and Harry Potter 3 and 4 in 1080p/24. Nothing I have tried will get 1, 2 or 5 in 1080p/24.
post #3786 of 7106 Old 03-26-2009, 02:12 PM

Hi everyone,
I've got my Wii hooked up through the Edge and then on to my Sanyo z2000 and it works fine when playing Wii games, but I just tried to play some old NES and SNES games on the virtual console and the screen went blue. Pushing info on the Edge Remote says Unsupported Format.

Is something wrong here? Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm on Firmware 1.1 by the way.

Thanks,
Chris
post #3787 of 7106 Old 03-26-2009, 10:03 PM

I have a Planar 7130 DLP projector, and I have elevated black levels unless I force the output to PC levels (versus 'auto' which detects 'video').

This doesn't make sense to me, as the projector is clearly a video projector, but unless I do I clearly have elevated blacks, whether from black field or calibration disks. (With a DLP by standing close it's very easy to see the dithering that you get on any black level above true zero).

It's working fine, and I can clearly see IRE 0, 10, 20 etc. steps and a full IRE greyscale fade looks perfect, but I'm just confused as to why I'd need to do this.

This was the case for 1.0, 1.1, and I'm not running 1.2 beta, so it doesn't seem to be firmware-dependent.
post #3788 of 7106 Old 03-26-2009, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi4 View Post

My LG BH200 ouputs Harry Potter 1, 2 and 5 in 1080p/60 and Harry Potter 3 and 4 in 1080p/24. Nothing I have tried will get 1, 2 or 5 in 1080p/24.

I've never owned the HP movies on HD as I have them on BD - all other HD-DVD movies I've played (i have 80) have come thru in 1080p24 and I have my EDGE set to 1:1 framelock.

I'd suggest those discs are actually encoded at 1080p60, not 1080p24 w/3:2 pulldown flags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
post #3789 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypalace View Post

I have a Planar 7130 DLP projector, and I have elevated black levels unless I force the output to PC levels (versus 'auto' which detects 'video').

This doesn't make sense to me, as the projector is clearly a video projector, but unless I do I clearly have elevated blacks, whether from black field or calibration disks. (With a DLP by standing close it's very easy to see the dithering that you get on any black level above true zero).

It's working fine, and I can clearly see IRE 0, 10, 20 etc. steps and a full IRE greyscale fade looks perfect, but I'm just confused as to why I'd need to do this.

This was the case for 1.0, 1.1, and I'm not running 1.2 beta, so it doesn't seem to be firmware-dependent.

Suggest that you not force PC levels and calibrate contrast and brightness to the Edge test pattern. Then it will be correct.

Displays can do screwy things. My DLP has different contrast points between RGB and YCC..... crazy. But if you calibrate it to the Edge patterns, all will be well.
post #3790 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

But if you calibrate it to the Edge patterns, all will be well.

How exactly do you calibrate with Edge patterns? My brightness, contrast, color, tint controls do not work in the patterns section....
post #3791 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdamocles View Post

How exactly do you calibrate with Edge patterns? My brightness, contrast, color, tint controls do not work in the patterns section....

Step one is to get the projector calibrated to the Edge.... to do this you use the controls on the projector.... This gets the Edge and the projector in sync. The Edge is outputting exactly the correct 'standard' and you must get the projector matched to it.

Step two is to calibrate each source using the Edge per source brightness and contrast controls. Many sources will not require anything but the 0 defaults.
post #3792 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Damn thats a good price. What does it retail in the States usually? Over in Australia at a discount we pay $1250AUS.

Check out sites like Amazon, etc, for that (don't want to get into a price discussion.. but I felt like I could mention the powerbuy on AVS's own site)

-Tim

post #3793 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Step one is to get the projector calibrated to the Edge.... to do this you use the controls on the projector.... This gets the Edge and the projector in sync. The Edge is outputting exactly the correct 'standard' and you must get the projector matched to it.

So I need to turn off all sources and just leave on the edge and display? Than adjust color with the display controls(thus matching Edge/display)? Afterwards, I'm just using something like avshd709 to adjust the sources and use the Edge to adjust?
post #3794 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post

I use an Edge with a high end Projector (JVC-RS2) and a high end audio processor (Cary Cinema 11A)

.........In my case I ensure that the PJ does no video processing by having the Edge put out the PJ's native resolution on a 1:1 pixel matched basis over HDMI. This puts the video chain as all digital from the Edge through the PJ...........

Doesn't the JVC-RS2 have a Gennum VXP processor in it? Isn't the Gennum VXP chip better than the ABT102 chip in the Edge? I would think the Gennum would map any input to the JVC-RS2's native resolution. Why would one bypass it? Just curious because I'm looking into getting a JVC-RS2.

post #3795 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdamocles View Post

So I need to turn off all sources and just leave on the edge and display? Than adjust color with the display controls(thus matching Edge/display)? Afterwards, I'm just using something like avshd709 to adjust the sources and use the Edge to adjust?

Essentially, Yes. You dont have to turn the sources off... since with the Edge patterns up, you cant see the sources anyway and Edge doesnt care about them. Edge is sending the reference patterns which are independant of the sources. Brightness and Contrast will be the 'big items' you need to adjust. Color is probably not worth messing with. The filters you get with calibration disks are probably not very good anyway. I would focus on Brightness and Contrast.
post #3796 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

Essentially, Yes. You dont have to turn the sources off... since with the Edge patterns up, you cant see the sources anyway and Edge doesnt care about them. Edge is sending the reference patterns which are independant of the sources. Brightness and Contrast will be the 'big items' you need to adjust. Color is probably not worth messing with. The filters you get with calibration disks are probably not very good anyway. I would focus on Brightness and Contrast.

One cool feature is the split patterns for setting up the Edge inputs. You first calibrate your display to the Edge itself then place a cal disk in the dvd and bring up the split patterns on the Edge. On the top half you will see the pattern from the dvd player and on the lower half you will see the edge patterns as a reference.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #3797 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dias View Post

Hi everyone,
I've got my Wii hooked up through the Edge and then on to my Sanyo z2000 and it works fine when playing Wii games, but I just tried to play some old NES and SNES games on the virtual console and the screen went blue. Pushing info on the Edge Remote says Unsupported Format.

Is something wrong here? Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm on Firmware 1.1 by the way.

Thanks,
Chris

I've figured out what was going on here. I had the Wii set to 480i since I figured it would be better to let the Edge do the de-interlacing, and this is what was causing the problem with the virtual console games. Once I set it back to 480p they worked again.

Chris
post #3798 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

One cool feature is the split patterns for setting up the Edge inputs. You first calibrate your display to the Edge itself then place a cal disk in the dvd and bring up the split patterns on the Edge. On the top half you will see the pattern from the dvd player and on the lower half you will see the edge patterns as a reference.

Hmmm... first ive heard of this.... Where do you turn on this split?
post #3799 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by feds27 View Post

Doesn't the JVC-RS2 have a Gennum VXP processor in it? Isn't the Gennum VXP chip better than the ABT102 chip in the Edge? I would think the Gennum would map any input to the JVC RS2's native resolution. Why would one bypass it? Just curious because I'm looking into getting a JVC-RS2.

To quote Greg Rodger's Wide Screen Review article concerning the DLA-RS2U and more generally the Gennum GF9351 VXP processor:

Deinterlacing:
Quote:

I’ve been disappointed with the 480i inverse-telecine deinterlacing of the Gennum GF9351 because it fails to lock onto the AVIA Pro 3-2 motion test pattern during the slowest vertical movement, although it works correctly for faster vertical movement. That is often an indicator that it will not consistently lock onto the scrolling yellow text at the beginning of Star Wars: Episode IV—A New Hope,...Conversely, 1080i inverse-telecine deinterlacing worked flawlessly on high-definition movies

Scaling:
Quote:

The projector’s scaling produced about 2 (1080p) pixels of outlining around 720p horizontal lines, and 2 to 3 pixels of outlining around vertical lines. The 480i/p scaling produced about 3 to 4 pixels of outlining along horizontal lines, and 3 to 5 pixels of outlining and slight ringing along vertical lines. However, outlining around digital 480i vertical lines was extremely faint and barely noticeable. The outlining around vertical lines in any format can be removed by reducing the Sharpness control from its center default setting, but that also softens the image. The Sharpness control has no effect on the scaling artifacts (outlining) along horizontal lines.

So, for deinterlacing the DVDO has the clear edge (pun intended). For scaling, both produce faint ringing which is not visible with most film material. The ringing on either may be visible in some Anime, video games, and test patterns. I haven't seen any scaling outlining with DVDO's scaler. Other test pattern watchers may disagree on my outlining observations. Overall, I would recommend you let the Edge do the deinterlacing and scaling and you will have a better picture. Having said all that, I've been very pleased with the Gennum chips performance, until somebody showed me what a DVDO processor could do.

Human perception is not a direct consequence of reality, but rather an act of imagination. - Michael Faraday
post #3800 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 05:47 PM

One big Question does this DVDO EDGE pass LPCM 5.1 trough HDMI of a Blu-ray player or Only Bitstream.
post #3801 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
yes.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #3802 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One big Question does this DVDO EDGE pass LPCM 5.1 trough HDMI of a Blu-ray player or Only Bitstream.

Yes... It passes LPCM just fine. Works great with PS3.
post #3803 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hmmm... first ive heard of this.... Where do you turn on this split?

you can't split all the patterns, per se... there are a few test patterns that are split by definition... if you scroll down through the pattern list, you'll see ones that begin with a "h-"... those are half screen patterns...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #3804 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

you can't split all the patterns, per se... there are a few test patterns that are split by definition... if you scroll down through the pattern list, you'll see ones that begin with a "h-"... those are half screen patterns...

I see now... Thanks. I hadnt noticed those patterns before.
post #3805 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 06:53 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Does the EDGE have any variable aspect ratio controls for vertical and/or horizontal zoom/stretch/squish? Thinking of using a projector with an anamorphic lens for variety of aspect ratios.
post #3806 of 7106 Old 03-27-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:

Yes... It passes LPCM just fine. Works great with PS3.

Thanks you very much some people say it did not send LPCM but it sound like there did not have there setup set right.
post #3807 of 7106 Old 03-28-2009, 04:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Does the EDGE have any variable aspect ratio controls for vertical and/or horizontal zoom/stretch/squish? Thinking of using a projector with an anamorphic lens for variety of aspect ratios.

i'm not sure of the details, but i know there was a bit of a discussion in the projector threads about this... you could try over there if no on chimes in here...

- chris

post #3808 of 7106 Old 03-28-2009, 01:43 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i'm not sure of the details, but i know there was a bit of a discussion in the projector threads about this... you could try over there if no on chimes in here...

Right, I may check that out.

What I mean is, it seems as though the vertical stretch function is fixed at 33%...which is only good for 2.35/2.37:1 movies. For anything other than that, such as 2.00:1, 2.20:1, 2.55:1 etc etc....you're stuck.
post #3809 of 7106 Old 03-29-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks you very much some people say it did not send LPCM but it sound like there did not have there setup set right.

What it will not pass is DSD over HDMI. If you have a SACD player that does DSD over HDMI (such as the OPPO 980H), it will not pass SACD audio with the DSD over HDMI setup (you need to set the OPPO to output LPCM instead of DSD). That is a pain as DSD over HDMI sounds a lot better than LPCM from the OPPO.
post #3810 of 7106 Old 03-29-2009, 10:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

passes 8 channel LPCM just fine, I can confirm this from working on a 4 x SPDIF mod for a few weeks

strange on the DSD issue though

-Gary
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page