post #3871 of 7104 Old 04-09-2009, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I wonder if I can leave the USB cable permanently in there after, not connected to anything? Won't cause any interruptions to the unit?

i do... wired a short one i had lying around right into my rack... all i do now is set my macbook down on the top shelf, pull up the cable from the back, plug in, and away we go...

the bigger pita is pushing in the reset button...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 7104 Old 04-09-2009, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Just got my Edge and set it up tonight. Haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but I did run into one issue that I think I was able to resolve.

When hitting an activity with my Harmony, the Edge would not turn on. The red light would come on, but that's it. Every time I would hit power, the red light would flash green, but that's it. I'd turn it off and then back on, but it would never actually turn on - just the constant red light with a flash of green whenever I hit the power on button.

I turned the Edge off and turned off my TV. Then I turned the Edge on and the red light came on. Then I turned on my TV and the Edge fired right up. In my Harmony, it was sending the command to turn the Edge on last (didn't think it mattered) and it won't turn fully on if the TV is already on. I changed the order in my Harmony so that the Edge powers on first and have had no issues.

Why would this be?

Spent a couple of frustrating hours trying to figure this out and I guess it doesn't matter for now, but still curious as to why it has to be turned on first.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #3873 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 04:33 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post

You're not the only one Look here and here

Haha those are actually my threads, trying to crack the riddle. Having googled myself, I could not find any information. My best guess so far the Wii is outputting RGB with sync on green.

My gear: Panasonic TH-42PF11EK pro plasma display. -- Iscan Duo video processor -- i1 display 3 colorimeter -- i1 pro 2 spectrometer
post #3874 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It would probably cost extra to have a console output YCbCr, I believe a console's graphics chip(s) have always natively output RGB, which was then combined to composite or Y/C, etc. going all the way back to the 8-bit days.

The PS3 also outputs RGB when playing games and when showing the console menu, IIRC.
post #3875 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd213 View Post

I believe a console's graphics chip(s) have always natively output RGB...

That's my thought as well. I would have been surprised if I saw that my Wii was outputting YPbPr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd213 View Post

The PS3 also outputs RGB when playing games and when showing the console menu, IIRC.

That is correct.
post #3876 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 05:06 AM

Liked: 12
I didn't know all that. Actually a PAL N64 does not output RGB. The graphics chip converts it (internally) to S-Video or composite. Therefor, PAL N64's cannot be RGB modded unlike their NSTC couterparts.

So, just to be clear, the Wii outputs RGB with sync on green? And the EDGE supports this?
I am still wondering why EDGE requires the red stereo phono to be connected directly too. If I run the audio through a switch box the picture blinks on and off. When I put the red phono into EDGE directly I get a picture.

My gear: Panasonic TH-42PF11EK pro plasma display. -- Iscan Duo video processor -- i1 display 3 colorimeter -- i1 pro 2 spectrometer
post #3877 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Just got my Edge and set it up tonight. Haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but I did run into one issue that I think I was able to resolve.

When hitting an activity with my Harmony, the Edge would not turn on. The red light would come on, but that's it. Every time I would hit power, the red light would flash green, but that's it. I'd turn it off and then back on, but it would never actually turn on - just the constant red light with a flash of green whenever I hit the power on button.

I turned the Edge off and turned off my TV. Then I turned the Edge on and the red light came on. Then I turned on my TV and the Edge fired right up. In my Harmony, it was sending the command to turn the Edge on last (didn't think it mattered) and it won't turn fully on if the TV is already on. I changed the order in my Harmony so that the Edge powers on first and have had no issues.

Why would this be?

Spent a couple of frustrating hours trying to figure this out and I guess it doesn't matter for now, but still curious as to why it has to be turned on first.

i'm fortunate that i don't have sequencing issues, but i know some have...

what do you have the "auto on" option set to in the edge?

does it happen regardless of the source (i.e. dvd/cable/bluray, etc.)?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3878 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i'm fortunate that i don't have sequencing issues, but i know some have...

what do you have the "auto on" option set to in the edge?

does it happen regardless of the source (i.e. dvd/cable/bluray, etc.)?

The "auto on" is currently set up to whatever the default is, since I haven't changed any settings yet.

I'm pretty sure it happens regardless of source, because the display seems to be the key. Hooked up to the Edge are TWO Directv DVR's which are always on and a PS3 (and a VCR that's never used). Whether I hit "Watch DVR1", "Watch DVR2", or "Watch movie", the Edge would not turn on unless it was first.

Additionally, when I switch inputs on the Edge via the Edge remote (i.e. go from HDMI1 to HDMI2), it switches seamlessly. When I switch activities with my Harmony (i.e. "Watch DVR1" to "Watch DVR2"), which should be basically doing the exact same thing, there's a momentary blue screen that flashes up.

post #3879 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

Why would this be?

Are you using the IR jack at the back of the unit? Because when I used mine I found it was causing very similar issues. I had to use ir emitters and it was working fine.

Frank

post #3880 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just wanted to ask are some of you expericing audio dropouts? I've got the audio coming out from the edge seperatley to the amp and have noticed at times audio drop outs.

Frank

post #3881 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If it is the Edge( Have to admit never had this problem before especially with the movie I played Master and Commander Blu ray) well then hopefully this upcoming firmware fixes the issue.

Frank

post #3882 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Why would this be?

I turn my Edge on first also. It seems to operate on the same principle as computer equipment. If things are out of sequence with computer stuff, the computer may not recognize the device. It must be able to "read" it. If I switch inputs on the TV and then back that often solves the problem.

But Edge first then TV works every time.
post #3883 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you using the IR jack at the back of the unit?

No.

post #3884 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Liked: 10
I have a question about updating the firmware on a Mac. Instead of dragging the new firmware to the EDGE (PC way) you double click an updater icon and the new firmware is installed automatically and the EDGE is unmounted automatically.

How do you backup the old firmware? Open the EDGE icon in finder and drag it to the desktop? Reverse if I needed to revert to the old firmware?
post #3885 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

My first real problem with the Edge. I turned it on tonight, and all I get is the red light. I double-checked my connections and the power cord is plugged in securely; I haven't touched anything. I tried rebooting by disconnecting and reconnecting the power cord; still only the red light, which now goes out after a few seconds or so. Does anyone know what's happening? I'll dig out the manual in the meantime, but I hope someone has some ideas on this.
post #3886 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Just wanted to ask are some of you expericing audio dropouts? I've got the audio coming out from the edge seperatley to the amp and have noticed at times audio drop outs.

Yep, I get them occasionally and have programed a button on my universal remote called "fix" which power-cycles the EDGE and fixes the problem.

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
post #3887 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post

Yep, I get them occasionally and have programed a button on my universal remote called "fix" which power-cycles the EDGE and fixes the problem.

Thanks djos you have been a great help once you power cycle the unit how long before you get another issue? I hope this new upcoming firmware addresses the problem.

Frank

post #3888 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.master.dre View Post

Here is what Larry from DVDO told me today:

"We are days away from a public release of v1.2. I suggest getting the public version from our website; it should be posted next week. It is definitely recommended because of its improved compatibility with other components and some nice new features."

Sweeeet!

I can also confirm the upcoming release of v1.2 in just a matter of days. This coming Monday (4/13) I am sending my unit back to DVDO for replacement and they assured me the new unit shipping out will have firmware v1.2. I have no idea what the other new features will be but am looking forward to them nonetheless. On a whim I asked if the Edge might now be able to pass through DSD bitstream audio signals and they said that is still not possible.
post #3889 of 7104 Old 04-10-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks djos you have been a great help once you power cycle the unit how long before you get another issue? I hope this new upcoming firmware addresses the problem.

No probs.

Mine is usually good for a couple of days after that but it is a bit random - also, I never turn my edge off as my Media Center/Server has a fit if I do.

post #3890 of 7104 Old 04-11-2009, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

My first real problem with the Edge. I turned it on tonight, and all I get is the red light. I double-checked my connections and the power cord is plugged in securely; I haven't touched anything. I tried rebooting by disconnecting and reconnecting the power cord; still only the red light, which now goes out after a few seconds or so. Does anyone know what's happening? I'll dig out the manual in the meantime, but I hope someone has some ideas on this.

Is your display on? Do you have an input on?
post #3891 of 7104 Old 04-11-2009, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also get audio dropouts.. seemingly randomly, but it's probably once every few days. At first I thought it was my Motorola HD DVR, since that would happen if I quickskipped many times in a row, then I would mute and unmute. I wonder if there's a discrete remote command for the Edge where you can just tell it to turn audio off/on instead of power cycle? Or maybe just switch to a different audio output, then back again.

In any case, I also hope they get this fixed in a future firmware update. This doesn't happen when we're doing anything, like changing source material, channels, etc.
post #3892 of 7104 Old 04-11-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm10541 View Post

Is your display on? Do you have an input on?

I seem to have resolved the problem, though it bears watching. Apparently it was set to an input other than the one I was trying to view; I didn't remember not switching from BD back to cable (an always on input) the last time out. Thanks.
post #3893 of 7104 Old 04-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Not sure if this has been reported or not but there have been 2 instances of where when I'm watching SD programming (rare these days) I'll suddenly get snow, as if the cable has been disconnected from my TV, except this snow has color, instead of just black and white. Has this happened to anyone else? Changing inputs cured this. Wish I could somehow screencap to better illustrate the problem. I'm still on V1 firmware as the 1.1 update didn't work for me.

post #3894 of 7104 Old 04-12-2009, 09:14 PM

I was testing my Harmony remote and had this happen:

Power off the EDGE while everything else was left on, then powered EDGE back on only the TV keep reporting 'No Signal'. I tried switching inputs on the EDGE and then the TV. Next I tried cycling the power on the DVD player, but nothing again. Next I power cycled the TV with no results. I finally got a signal back by powering every down and waiting for the red led on the EDGE to go out and restarting everything (via the Harmony remote).

Is there something special needed to be done to power cycle the EDGE once in use?
post #3895 of 7104 Old 04-13-2009, 11:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I like to thank Larry Thompson from DVDO for suppling me with the firmware 1.2. Hopefully this addresses the Audio dropouts. I also like to thank MarkH from sound advice who exchanged my unit as it did not work during the upgrade prurpose.

Frank

post #3896 of 7104 Old 04-13-2009, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like to thank Larry Thompson from DVDO for suppling me with the firmware 1.2. Hopefully this addresses the Audio dropouts. I also like to thank MarkH from sound advice who exchanged my unit as it did not work during the upgrade prurpose.

Im glad I bought through MarkH too as there certainly have been a number of DOA Edge's out there and it's nice to know Aussie support is but a phone call away.

post #3897 of 7104 Old 04-13-2009, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Im glad I bought through MarkH too as there certainly have been a number of DOA Edge's out there and it's nice to know Aussie support is but a phone call away.

What is the new upcoming firmware after 1.2? If my audio dropouts get sorted im certainly not going to jump to it.

Frank

post #3898 of 7104 Old 04-14-2009, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is the new upcoming firmware after 1.2? If my audio dropouts get sorted im certainly not going to jump to it.

No Idea, maybe a DVDO rep can answer?

post #3899 of 7104 Old 04-14-2009, 12:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No Idea, maybe a DVDO rep can answer?

1.2 is the new one. I went to go and check.

Frank

post #3900 of 7104 Old 04-14-2009, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1.2 is the new one. I went to go and check.

v1.2 isn't on the DVDO website yet.

Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page