Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post

i will get Sony HX929 TV very soon.

my cable channels are very bad. my questions:
- do i need a video processor for this TV?

It all depends on the content you desire to watch and if the additional features of an external processor are useful in your situation. In general, while internal HDTV video processing has improved dramatically in the past few years there are many instances where users find external processors desirable.
Quote:

- will the Sony STRDH820 7.2 A/V have a good video processor?

Absolutely not.
Quote:

or the DVDO would be better?

Yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 7116 Old 06-01-2011, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Luckily I have been chosen to be a beta tester! My Samsung BDP1400 smoothly I paid $ 229 to wait with a video performance that rivals the $ 1999 Denon 3800BDCI. Not to mention the improvement comes from my Fios box to my Sony 60XBR2 which is 1080p/60. The Sony is a big TV, but the edge should be improved in all the weaknesses of the whole. My equipment has been calibrated by NCH, so I really do not need all the features Vp50pro $ 3499, I will just need to get for $ 500 at the edge.
post #6573 of 7116 Old 06-03-2011, 04:22 PM

Liked: 13
Is it normal for the EDGE to make a buzzing sound when it's on? Never noticed it when I got it a month ago, that's why I'm asking.

When in standby it's all quiet.

EDIT: Nevermind I think this is an overheating issue. Seems about right that the buzzing started since I moved the EDGE on top of my receiver. When I lifted it up from the receiver the sound stopped almost immediately.
I unplugged it and found that it was burning hot underneath. It's been on top of the receiver for about 2 weeks so thank god nothings bad happened yet. I now moved it down next to the receiver, which doesn't get very warm on the sides. This should be fine I hope
post #6574 of 7116 Old 06-05-2011, 08:22 PM

I put my DVDO Edge for sale on eBay. I don't think we're allowed to post eBay links here, but the item number is 290574098787. Just in case if someone's looking for a used Edge in excellent condition.
post #6575 of 7116 Old 06-12-2011, 01:40 PM

I finally "pulled the trigger" on the Edge & have had it in my system for a few weeks now. I absolutely love the PQ enhancement gain I'm receiving! As I mentioned back in April I was looking for a way to improve on my Comcast viewing, which was acceptable I suppose through my Tivo Premiere, this is better! I don't view any SD programming (not w/ HD DVD,Bluray & DVHS sources) & I don't use unconditioned power. My cable viewing is now very,& I do mean very, close in to my other sources in terms of PQ. Just thought I chime in on my impressions so far! (So some gaming material is only 240p ? Wow, I would think it would be a tough "chore" for any processor to handle on any screen larger than 17" or 19" to clean up!) As is often mentioned YMMV.
post #6576 of 7116 Old 06-12-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

So some gaming material is only 240p ? Wow, I would think it would be a tough "chore" for any processor to handle on any screen larger than 17" or 19" to clean up!

actually all gaming material from the "very beginnings" (like Atari in the early 80s) to the late 90s is 240p only. It requires a completely different set of skills from any processor to handle this kind of material. You actually don't want interpolation and "nice" upscaling as you want it on SD movie material, but you want the processor keep the low-res "blockiness" of the picture. That's what pixel art is all about afterall.
post #6577 of 7116 Old 06-13-2011, 08:27 AM

I really like the auto wake up function the EDGE has. I do however have a source connected via HDMI that always sends a picture and can't be turned off without me pulling the plug. This forces the EDGE to keep being powered on.

Is it possible to disable the auto wake up for specific inputs? In my case I would like it disabled for HDMI 5.
post #6578 of 7116 Old 06-13-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Konsol-
I solved this by plugging the EDGE into a switched socket on my surge suppressor. I do have to turn on the EDGE, but it always turns off when I turn off my amplifier.
post #6579 of 7116 Old 06-13-2011, 01:01 PM

I was hoping it could be solved by changing a few options. There are several menu items that aren't mentioned in the manual that I have no idea what does. The hotplug option for example.

For the time being I have to either unplug the device or disable the auto wake up function.
post #6580 of 7116 Old 06-13-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Hotplug causes a new HDMI handshake to occur whenever you change sources.
Using a device like http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER, is a good way of getting rid of 'fantom' electric usage, and makes it so you don't need to unplug devices to turn them off.
post #6581 of 7116 Old 06-13-2011, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the explanation

I've been thinking of getting me one of those powersaving outlets anyway
post #6582 of 7116 Old 06-17-2011, 04:29 PM

I just powered on my PS3 which made the Edge turn on automatically. This resulted in an all green screen and a high pitch noise. I almost **** myself as I had the volume on the receiver turned up quite a bit.

After switching off the PS3 and and Edge several times I have not been able to recreate this problem again. I hope it's nothing to worry about
post #6583 of 7116 Old 06-18-2011, 11:41 AM

Liked: 11
Hey all,
I've had my Edge for almost 2 years now...and just had my first real problem arise. Starting today...Whenever it is shut off, the light indicator goes purple...and then the edge won't power back on. Unplugging it and then plugging it back in brings it back on, and it seems to be working fine. But again, as soon as it's turned off, it locks up again.

Any ideas?

I'm not on the latest firmware, so when I get a chance, I'll do a reset and load the 1.6 firmware. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Has anyone else had any similar issues?
post #6584 of 7116 Old 06-20-2011, 05:13 PM

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Edge.

Have you tried changing the auto standby and auto wake up settings? If that doesn't work I hope a firmware update will do the trick

As for my own problem mentioned above, with the all green screen and the high noise. It hasn't happened since. I suspect maybe it happened because I switched my receiver to the EDGE's HDMI sound input just as the EDGE registered a signal from my TV or PS3.

I'll ask again if this bug occurs again
post #6585 of 7116 Old 06-27-2011, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Just noticed that the Edge has been relaunched (sort of):
- it's now called the "Edge Green"
- it has been slightly redesigned: no more front HDMI port (tho' part of site still claims 6 HDMI) or universal remote
- it has been repriced: $499

Here: http://www.simplaylabs.com/DVDO/DVDO_EDGE.aspx

All other documentation/firmware unchanged. Asked via online form whether other hardware has changed. Will post response.

Edit: ABT2015
post #6586 of 7116 Old 06-28-2011, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Can a remote (such as a URC or Harmony) be programmed to switch output resolution for 2 different displays (720p/1080p) that are both connected to the Edge via an HDMI splitter? I understand the Duo might be a better option, but the price difference is fairly significant just for a second output.

Thanks,
Eric
post #6587 of 7116 Old 06-28-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I have noticed that since simplaylabs bought ABT, customer service is not what it used to be. I have never been able to get my audio dropouts issue resolved. I have all my sources except my Oppo BDP-80 and Roku connected directly to my pre/pro because of the constant audio dropouts of bitstream DD audio signals routed via HDMI through the Edge and out the HDMI Audio port.

Since most content is 2ch PCM on the Roku and I have to set my Oppo to LPCM (instead of Auto like is preferred) those are the only that work consistently. I even have a digi coax as backup from my Oppo for DD/DTS content.

Sometimes I get other weird bugs and issues with it as well but the audio dropout of bitstream signals is the most consistent. I love the picture quality and all the switch capability but the FW is far from perfect. Somehow I doubt that simplaylabs will be updating the fw ever for this model.
post #6588 of 7116 Old 06-29-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

I have never been able to get my audio dropouts issue resolved. I have all my sources except my Oppo BDP-80 and Roku connected directly to my pre/pro because of the constant audio dropouts of bitstream DD audio signals routed via HDMI through the Edge and out the HDMI Audio port.

I bought an Edge way back in September 2008 and returned it for this (and other) reasons. I tried again in April 2010, with similar results. I can't believe this issue is still unresolved. Obviously, it is possible to have ABT2010 video processing without losing Dolby audio (Oppo BDP-83). What's the problem at DVDO? Perhaps they just don't care--or would rather we bought Duos? (But I hear they have audio dropouts, too.

FWIW, the person at Simplay who answered my questions about the Edge Green did say
Quote:

For the most part we have incorporate many bug fixes into the 2015 . . . .

Maybe the audio dropouts made the list?

For my main system, I use a Denon DVP-602CI I got on closeout from AVS. I'd really like a properly functioning Edge for elsewhere.
post #6589 of 7116 Old 06-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have a set of wishlist items too-

- that the Edge would go into auto-standby and back out when the downstream display device powers off/on. (I have a Tivo so the Edge stays on regardless of my display. )

- that the Edge could be designed to support prioritized automatic input switching for digital-audio-only inputs (e.g. from a CD changer)

It would be nice to know if they will at least someday try to incorporate these features, or if they're just "not important enough." I've submitted the request for those two features about three times in the past two years. Obviously neither feature has ever been incorporated.

..dane
post #6590 of 7116 Old 06-30-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post

I have a set of wishlist items too-

- that the Edge would go into auto-standby and back out when the downstream display device powers off/on. (I have a Tivo so the Edge stays on regardless of my display. )

- that the Edge could be designed to support prioritized automatic input switching for digital-audio-only inputs (e.g. from a CD changer)

It would be nice to know if they will at least someday try to incorporate these features, or if they're just "not important enough." I've submitted the request for those two features about three times in the past two years. Obviously neither feature has ever been incorporated.

..dane

What happens when you put the TiVo in standby?

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6591 of 7116 Old 07-01-2011, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've read in this thread that there's a delay when channel surfing from SD to HD channels. I there a delay when going from 720p to/from 1080i channels? If so, is it annoying? I have this problem with my Onkyo TX-SR876, and was hoping the DVDO would be an improvement. SD channels aren't a concern.
post #6592 of 7116 Old 07-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

What happens when you put the TiVo in standby?

There's no easy way to put the Tivo in standby mode, I would have to navigate all sorts of menus. But internally the Tivo of course must remain on while it waits for upcoming programs to record.. But why should I have to turn off the Tivo? Regardless of source devices, if both destination devices are off (Display and Audio-only device such as AVR), shouldn't the Edge go into standby mode as well? Apparently I'm the only one with a Tivo that thinks this would be a good feature. No need heating up my AV rack when my TV is off!

Obviously it's not causing problems (except wasted power and unnecessary heat generation), certainly not enough to sell the unit, but would be a great feature add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambe View Post

I've read in this thread that there's a delay when channel surfing from SD to HD channels. I there a delay when going from 720p to/from 1080i channels? If so, is it annoying? I have this problem with my Onkyo TX-SR876, and was hoping the DVDO would be an improvement. SD channels aren't a concern.

The Edge has a small delay when it is detecting a new input format and switching it's internal processing engines accordingly, yes. Because of that delay, I've actually told both my Tivo and my Oppo BDP80 to always output 1080p. I'm loosing out on the Edge's fancy video processing this way, but to me the delays every time were just frustrating. We have analog cable with our TivoS3 but of course get the OTA feeds in HD. So I have the Tivo setup for 1080p to support the HD feeds. But that means that when switching between 75% of our channels, or recorded SD content, and the Tivo Menu, the format switch occurs- once going TO the tivo menu, and once when going back to an SD cable channel or an SD recorded program.

The delay itself isn't terrible. But in our setup with a Tivo and mostly-SD cable programming, it became a nuance.

At this point my Edge is a fancy, expensive, and hot priority input switcher that can't handle my audio-only CD player source in auto-switch mode. Frustrating. But nothing is "broken" and life has happened this year, so it won't be changing anytime soon.

As they say, however, YMMV.

..dane
post #6593 of 7116 Old 07-03-2011, 10:32 AM

any word on when they are going to update the iSCAN Duo ?
Isn't it older technology ?

Is the CMS part worth while ?
post #6594 of 7116 Old 07-06-2011, 07:17 AM

My Edge shows 1.25 build 0.78g
Do I have the latest firmware?

Found these on the web:
v151-128
v160-136
Can't relate these numbers...

Thanks, Barend
post #6595 of 7116 Old 07-06-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
At this point my Edge is a fancy, expensive, and hot priority input switcher that can't handle my audio-only CD player source in auto-switch mode. Frustrating. But nothing is "broken" and life has happened this year, so it won't be changing anytime soon.

As they say, however, YMMV.

..dane
Dane-
I've Tivo and it seems to me that the Edge actually turns off automatically for me if I turn off my projector and my receiver (the red light does turn off). Also, I can play my receiver's FM radio without turning on the projector, so I assume I could listen to CDs as well.
I don't remember if I turn on auto-switching, but I believe it is not on (it never worked for me because I often turn on several sources at once and switch between them) after the last firmware update, so you may find that the Edge does what you want if you change that setting.
post #6596 of 7116 Old 07-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barend View Post

Do I have the latest firmware?

No.

The current version is 1.6 (i.e. v160-136) and available here.
post #6597 of 7116 Old 07-06-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

No.

The current version is 1.6 (i.e. v160-136) and available here.

You have linked to the firmware for the Edge Green, and it's listed as version 1.0. If you click on the tab for the "Edge" the version is listed as 1.6.

Is the firmware for the "green" model the same code as for the "old" model with a different version number?
post #6598 of 7116 Old 07-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post

You have linked to the firmware for the Edge Green, and it's listed as version 1.0. If you click on the tab for the "Edge" the version is listed as 1.6.

The link is actually the default link for all of the DVDO firmware downloads, so yes, you do have take the extra step to click on the EDGE tab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post

Is the firmware for the "green" model the same code as for the "old" model with a different version number?

Considering that the hardware is different and there are separate firmware downloads I would have to assume the answer is no. (Yes, it's always dangerous to assume...)
post #6599 of 7116 Old 07-07-2011, 01:09 AM

Thanks for the insights on the firmware, will try to upgrade tuday.
My Edge has serious problems recognizing the basic output from my Oppo BDP-95 blu ray player (although there IS a picture once a bd has fully loaded).
Only a blue screen is shown.
No 3D is involved though, but I hope my issue will disappear with the 1.6 firmware.
post #6600 of 7116 Old 07-07-2011, 02:20 AM

As mentioned in my other posting, I wanted to upgrade 1.25 to 1.60.
After going through the motions I am getting the message on my computer "USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED- NO DRIVER INSTALLED".
Tried with my Windows 7 netbook and on my Windows 7 PC, same results.
Also tried my friend's XP Machine and his MAC, same error message...
What can this be?
Is there some driver I need to install first? Nothing in the instructions about that...
Strange that v1.25 is not in the upgrade changelist, did they sell me an old beta unit?
Thanks
Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page