DVDO EDGE !! - Page 226 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6751 of 7104 Old 12-27-2011, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is there a document out there that helps with claibration of dvdo edge (green)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 7104 Old 12-28-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post

Loved my original Edge. Power supply went out last night (Merry Christmas!?!)

Not sure whether to replace with Edge Green, Duo or some kind of Radiance product.

Kind of excited to have a reason to buy some new gear actually...

How long did it last before the power supply failed?
post #6753 of 7104 Old 12-29-2011, 12:15 AM

Liked: 13
I was one of the original beta testers, August 2008 I believe?

I'm going to wait to see if I win a particular auction on a similar device before I go back to DVDO (or whoever they are now) and start asking about how to replace it..
post #6754 of 7104 Old 01-04-2012, 02:15 PM

I own an Edge 101 (since Sep. 2010) and am quite happy with it. I'm looking to get a backup, since I see they frequently fail. There are several new/used Greens on eBay and several used 101s. Aside from the missing front-panel HDMI input, the different remote, the lower power consumption, and the different firmware, does anyone know of a significant difference between the two models? Different firmware could be just for the missing input. What about the chip? The 101 uses ABT 2010 chip. Does the Green have a different chip? Any different functionality? Have the reliability issues of the 101 been addressed in the Green? Or is it basically the exact same VP with 9 inputs instead of 10? Any insights would be appreciated.
post #6755 of 7104 Old 01-04-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

Well, I called and Ken picked up. He was the one I had received a single email from before requesting the specifics of my issues. When I responded, I never heard anything back.

So today, he had me check my firmware and he informed me that 1.60 was not the most correct version so I updated 1.60->1.62. So far, I have not had any audio dropouts (in the last few mins) but I recall before when I was trying to troubleshoot this issue when I would do a reset or switch between 1.51 & 1.60 the problem would go away for a while but then come back.

Here is a description of my problem again since it was months back when I posted about this before:

Random audio dropouts on bitstream audio (DD, DTS). The dropouts go away when I switch to MPCM. Obviously not all my sources can decode the audio and send MPCM (DirecTV, Roku) so I have been bypassing the DVDO completely with digital audio cables.

It will probably take a few days for it to manifest itself if the audio dropouts issue is still there so I will update with my progress.

I am really hopeful I can get this unit working as advertised because it has never worked 100% since day one.

Well since the new fw, the audio dropouts have continued. Any bit streamed audio is likely to have issues. At first it seemed better but it is back to consistent audio dropouts on DD, DTS audio over HDMI. There are some workarounds but most inconvenient. I am able to get stable audio from my Roku2 (no S/PDIF output) by running HDMI into the DVDO and using the to toslink output. That means I have to go into the Edge settings and switch inputs on my pre/pro if I want to use my BD player for hi Rez audio.

I wish there was a way to get this working as advertised. I am sure this same issue effects all bitstream audio but I can only test DD,DTS because I have HDMI v1.1.
post #6756 of 7104 Old 01-05-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't expect them to ever solve the drop out issue on this unit. Mi e seem better after every update, but a power cycle or two on the Edge and dropouts are back in full force. I also find my Roku2 useless when running through my Edge. I just don't have the energy to bypass the Edge and go straight to the receiver for the Roku.
post #6757 of 7104 Old 01-05-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

I don't expect them to ever solve the drop out issue on this unit. Mi e seem better after every update, but a power cycle or two on the Edge and dropouts are back in full force. I also find my Roku2 useless when running through my Edge. I just don't have the energy to bypass the Edge and go straight to the receiver for the Roku.

Which sucks because the DVDO makes the Roku2 look much better. I was mad Roku dropped the S/PDIF output on the Roku2 XD. I did find one work around for DD from Amazon VOD on the Roku2. Using the toslink audio output on the Edge, it seemed to cure the dropouts on DD but I did not have much time to test. It is still not elegant.

Have you ever sent your unit in for service? I am going to give it a try and see if they fix it. He seemed confident that there is a hardware issue with my unit that they can fix or replace. I don't care which I just want a working product.
post #6758 of 7104 Old 01-08-2012, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which sucks because the DVDO makes the Roku2 look much better. I was mad Roku dropped the S/PDIF output on the Roku2 XD. I did find one work around for DD from Amazon VOD on the Roku2. Using the toslink audio output on the Edge, it seemed to cure the dropouts on DD but I did not have much time to test. It is still not elegant.

Have you ever sent your unit in for service? I am going to give it a try and see if they fix it. He seemed confident that there is a hardware issue with my unit that they can fix or replace. I don't care which I just want a working product.

I sent that an email, but if course they never replied. I would certainly consider returning it if it wasnt too expensive to get repaired. Ive had mine for a few years so I doubt they would fix it for free.
post #6759 of 7104 Old 01-09-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoh View Post

If you're interested, here's what a 240p signal looks like on the Edge GREEN:
http://pms.hazard-city.de/edge_green_240p.mov

At the end of the video, it looks like you enable Game Mode, and then the 240p signal displays correctly. Is that correct?
post #6760 of 7104 Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
The other way around. Otherwise it wouldn't be a problem after all.
post #6761 of 7104 Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By the way, let me know who to contact if you get a hold of someone to get a repair. I have tried a few times to get in touch with DVDO. I would really appreciate it.
post #6762 of 7104 Old 01-17-2012, 03:42 AM

I think the end has come for all the dvdo gear.
Simplaylabs can't be bothered and doesn't seem to offer the Edge on their site anymore.
Got one, but don't like it much: the VP's had more options.
Got both a VP50 and a VP50 Pro, will be happy to send the latest (last!) firmware builds if you need it.
Anyway, if you need your Edge repaired contact the USA rep, he's a nice guy:
Ken Nguyen
You must use your local rep if you're outside the USA.
If you can't find your local company, I'm sure Ken will direct you.
post #6763 of 7104 Old 01-17-2012, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Simplaylabs can't be bothered and doesn't seem to offer the Edge on their site anymore.

they just put the DVDO units onto their own (old) website: http://www.dvdo.com/ .
post #6764 of 7104 Old 01-17-2012, 11:24 AM
T2k

Liked: 11
Any chance for another round of EDGE -> iScan Duo trade-in/upgrade deal from DVDO?
post #6765 of 7104 Old 03-08-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I received my Edge from being repaired. It was gone for about 2 months by my estimate but maybe longer. I was able to get from Ken that the technicians were able to reproduce the issue which is great news. I know it takes extensive testing to recreate it.

They did repair it but did not provide any notes for us to read about the work that was done, only that there was repairs done. So I will update with my results on the audio dropout issue with bitstream audio. It sometimes takes a week or more to show up so it may be awhile but I will definitely update either way.

I am glad that they stood behind the product and did the work on it. They are definitely not freezing out owners of the original Edge. I consider this top notch service even though it was a lengthy process.
post #6766 of 7104 Old 03-08-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post

Loved my original Edge. Power supply went out last night.

They repaired mine also. It took about a month overall. No charge.
post #6767 of 7104 Old 03-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Fantastic news to you both! I wonder if a future firmware update is in store, or if there is some hardware problem particular to specific unfortunate units? I know that for their older VP30 when I asked if it supported 1080p60 passthrough, I was told, "some units do, some units don't. The VP30 was never designed for 1080p input, so we cannot guarantee performance with a 1080p60 input. However we have had reports from some VP30 owners there is worked, and for others it did not." I wonder if the dropout issue is likewise based on an unfortunate combination of manufacturing tolerances? I'd love to read an "official report." Not sure why they're always so secretive about it. Oh well.

Do keep us posted on your post-service experience!

..dane

audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
post #6768 of 7104 Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I just got a PHD-8VX, which looks like it does some of the same things the Edge does, but it's quite a bit cheaper. I have a couple issues with my unit, but I've had PHD items in the past, and the support has been really good. The same guy answers all my emails, and the phone, he picks right up, no automated phone system. I know the Edge has a better processor, and may look into getting one if my issues with the 8VX can't be resolved, but $499 is a bit steep for my old HD CRT. I just thought I'd pop in and give a heads up, as I haven't seen the 8VX mentioned in this thread since I started following it.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #6769 of 7104 Old 03-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Des the Prime box support priority-based automatic input switching? I've been looking for YEARS for a less-expensive media switch that has the DVDO's user-customizable priority input switching. I really like the that Prime box has so many analog audio inputs. That's a complaint I have with both DVDOs that I have (VP30 and Edge)- only one set of analog audio inputs. I have a significant amount of legacy source equipment that does not have digital audio. But the automatic input switching is a very high priority for both of my installations..

..dane

audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
post #6770 of 7104 Old 03-15-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post

Des the Prime box support priority-based automatic input switching? I've been looking for YEARS for a less-expensive media switch that has the DVDO's user-customizable priority input switching. I really like the that Prime box has so many analog audio inputs. That's a complaint I have with both DVDOs that I have (VP30 and Edge)- only one set of analog audio inputs. I have a significant amount of legacy source equipment that does not have digital audio. But the automatic input switching is a very high priority for both of my installations..

..dane

No, at least not yet. I'd contact epvision and request it.

A quick history of my experience with the company, I bought their original PHD-101 HD tuner box back in 05 or 06, and had quite a few things that I didn't like, but most were probably solvable via firmware. I wrote up a huge review and things to change and sent it to them. They fixed a couple of the very obvious bugs via firmware, and didn't really hear back for a while. Then one day the new version just showed up at my doorstep, the PHD-200. Turns out they added me to their beta test group and sent me free of charge the new model. It fixed alot of the complaints I had about the first, but still had a few quirks.

Here's the 8VX thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1205954
and direct to my post with pictures of the internals
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21722451

If you do contact them, more than likely you'll talk to a guy named Allen. I know the ABT chip in the DVDO is probably a better upscaler, but the ATI chip in the 8VX seems to do a good job (given I've never used an ABT, and the 8VX is hooked up to a 30" HD CRT, so the scaler probably doesn't matter all that much). If they can fix my complaints about the color (I don't want it messing with color), then I'll be very happy 8VX owner.

If you do end up getting one, it's a few bucks cheaper through their ebay store than direct from their website. I think the ebay price is something like $165.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #6771 of 7104 Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Things that make you go 'Hmm', is it just me, or is the ABT2015 eval board strikingly similar to the back panel of the Edge Green?

http://www.sequoia.co.uk/components/...=1372&fmt=grid

And the back of the Edge Green:

Granted, the Edge Green has audio, but still interesting. I wonder how much an eval board is?

post #6772 of 7104 Old 03-17-2012, 04:53 PM

Liked: 12
Well seeing as the evaluation board comes with a DVDO remote I would say the money is on the button
post #6773 of 7104 Old 03-18-2012, 08:59 AM

Since the internal code name for EDGE was Whirlwind, I'd say the answer is right on the eval board...

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my previous or current employers.
post #6774 of 7104 Old 03-19-2012, 01:34 PM

I am interested in picking up an Edge or Edge Green. I am confused to which is better. Does the original use better components than the Green? Any help would be appreciated.
post #6775 of 7104 Old 03-19-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvision View Post

I am interested in picking up an Edge or Edge Green. I am confused to which is better. Does the original use better components than the Green? Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know which one is better but I had a chance to purchase either one and went with the older model because it has an HDMI input under the front area which I thought might come in handy someday. The Green as implied by the name should be more energy efficient. I really like the Edge and am especially happy with the HDMI audio output that allows me to use my AVR only when I want to and just use my TV speakers for general viewing like the evening news. When I want to watch a movie then I can turn on the AVR and let 'er rip. I have tried a number of HDMI matrix switches and splitters and none of them works as well as the Edge in this regard.
post #6776 of 7104 Old 03-20-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olink View Post

I don't know which one is better but I had a chance to purchase either one and went with the older model because it has an HDMI input under the front area which I thought might come in handy someday. The Green as implied by the name should be more energy efficient. I really like the Edge and am especially happy with the HDMI audio output that allows me to use my AVR only when I want to and just use my TV speakers for general viewing like the evening news. When I want to watch a movie then I can turn on the AVR and let 'er rip. I have tried a number of HDMI matrix switches and splitters and none of them works as well as the Edge in this regard.

Thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards the original myself. I like the idea of the front hdmi. Can plug my laptop right in.
post #6777 of 7104 Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Is the original Edge still available new? Doesn't seem to be listed on their site.

post #6778 of 7104 Old 03-20-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

Is the original Edge still available new? Doesn't seem to be listed on their site.

Haven't seen any new, just refurb.
post #6779 of 7104 Old 03-20-2012, 11:54 AM

I might be putting a used one up in the classified section here pretty soon...

post #6780 of 7104 Old 03-23-2012, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 84
PQ of what? HD, no.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page