DVDO EDGE !! - Page 236 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7051 of 7106 Old 03-01-2014, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I have purchased the Edge Green for use with an EPSON 5030. I can get the Edge to sync with the projector at every resolution except for 1080 60P (or 50P). When I try these resolutions I get a "not supported" from the projector. I have no problem syncing directly from my Blu-ray player at 60P and have no problem syncing the Edge to various TV's around the house at 60p. Has anyone experienced this with either an Epson or another projector and have any ideas I could try.
Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7052 of 7106 Old 03-02-2014, 12:47 AM

Liked: 11
All,
I've had my first-gen DVDO EDGE and Panasonic V10 paired together for almost 5 years now with nothing but great results...until recently. Now I've been getting some pretty bad flickering (seems gamma-related) during bright scenes on 1080p content streamed from my Roku3 (via PLEX). This flickering only occurs when the detail/edge enhancements are engaged. If I turn them both down to zero, or engage the gaming mode...there are no flicker problems. Dish Network and anything less than 1080p is fine.

Has anyone encountered similar issues?
post #7053 of 7106 Old 03-08-2014, 08:22 AM

Visiting from the future to say thanks for this. I was one of the original DVDO Edge testers, and my power supply finally bit the dust (lasted 5+ years)!

Used your instructions and Mouser still had the medical-rated Cincon power supply in stock. Purchased, used a Dremel to shave the plastic connectors and now I'm back in business. Very easy thanks to your instructions, which was the only thing that came up in search engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post

I thought I would update everyone on my power supply research..
Well, how frustrating. The cincon part is only rated to 25% of its max power rating at 70C. For anyone whose DVDO Edge is always on because of a persistent input signal like a Tivo or DVR, you know the DVDO gets pretty hot over time, especially if its in a rack.

Anyhoo, I hooked up the DVDO to my bench power supply (with a current meter) and also went through my Fluke 189 in current mode (as a second opinion), and the highest current mode I could muster between 480i, 1080i, 1080p24, and 1080p60 input (output always set to 1080p60) was in 1080p60 mode coming from my Oppo BDP80. PReP was enabled in that mode which may have been that last little bit of power needed. In that mode (1080p60 input, 1080p60 output), the power draw was right at 2.5A at 5VDC, or, just under 15W.

Looking on Mouser, Jameco, Newark, Digikey, and a few other places, it turns out there is a better AND cheaper power supply out there, the Mean Well EPS-45-5. It's a 45W power supply, but before you get all huffy and puffy, note that in the part's datasheet the derating curve is on a 10% derating per 10degC above 40C. That puts it at 50% rated max at 70C. The original Cincon part CFM60S050 derates at 25% per 10C rise above 40C! That means that by 70C it's only rated at 25% of its original power rating! AND the EPS-45-5 part is about $10 LESS expensive! That means the Cincon part is rated only at 2A @ 70C, while the Mean Well part is rated at 3A @ 70C. And my tests clearly indicate that the DVDO operates at 2.5A while PReP'ing 1080p60 content from a 1080p24 source destined for a 1080p60 downstream display device. (There was nearly zero change in current when adding an audio-only output load to my AVR)

But... the better power supply has different connectors. And with different connectors come different contacts (pins). And with different connectors and different contacts come either a lot of headache (pliers and wire strippers and soldering iron) or a *very* expensive crimp tool.

IF it wasn't approaching Christmas, and IF I had a spare DVDO available to handle it while I did the work on the other, I would be ALL OVER that Mean Well 45W booger. It's such a better power supply-- (slightly) more typical efficiency, and better temperature derating. Alas, I don't have time with the holidays approaching to undergo that kind of surgery. There goes the "better for less money" option.. frown.gif

Back to Mouser--- Turns out if you look a little ways down, there is a Medical rated version of the Cincon part.. CFM60M050 .. costs about $10 more than the already pricier CFM60S050 part (compared to the Mean Well), but it has a slightly better derating curve than the "S" family. It is still 25% per 10degC that doesn't start until 50C instead of 40C. That gives you another 10C headroom in a hot equipment rack before the part approaches its inability to deliver the necessary current. Still not as good as the Mean Well power supply, but there's no worrying about connectors and crimp pins.

So, I've ordered one of the medical versions of the cincon part.

I've wanted for a while now to get one of those "energy saving" power strips and connect it to my TV so when the TV's off, the DVDO is turned off, but the TV is on the other side of the room-- the DVDO is in an equipment rack in a closet under the stairs. Grrr... I've been trying very hard to figure out a way to hook something like that up without going and designing something myself, but it looks like I'll have to do JUST that. Now that my DVDO Edge's power supply bit the dust (which I'm sure was due in no small part to the power supply overheating in the cramped equipment rack due to never getting a "break" but instead being on 24/7 for the past three years), I think it will be worth my while to create a remotely-controlled smart power strip. I have some ideas, just nothing CHEAP.. frown.gif

I will come back and report more after I get the new power supply in the mail..

EDIT1-- it looks like the medical version has a swapped pinout-- I will verify when I receive it. If that's the case I will detail the very simple instructions how to swap pins on the connector for others that may go the medical supply route..

EDIT2-- I failed to take pictures, I'm sorry. The pin order is actually identical between the two models. The difference is that they use a different type of connector lock that has a plastic "tab" on the one side of the standard product, and the other side of the medical product. (To be clear, some would say it is a rotated connector, and to be fair, it is. But it's a rotated connector with a swapped pinout, so the net result is that the "power" pin is in the same physical location in relation to the power supply board itself, but the "plastic tab" that the other connector uses is now on the opposite side of the connector housing.) Anyway, all I ended up doing was taking a very sharp knife (exacto blade or box cutters) and cutting off the tab. Pin spacing is the same, old cable fits on new prongs just fine. I actually ended up making myself a new power connector because I happened to have that molex connector in stock and the terminals and the crimp tool. I did not have the right terminals and crimper on-hand for the Mean Well power supply, however. sigh. My old power cable was very stiff and brittle from whatever had happened to the old power supply, which is why I had to make a new one. Anyway, trimming off the header tab from the power supply PCB (both the input power header and the output power header) worked just fine.. Careful with forcing an extremely sharp blade through tough molded plastic, though- a quick slip and off goes your head! (or thumb) --> Just be sure the cable you hookup is connecting to "+5V" on the large, green, DVDO video board and to "+Vout (or Vo+ or something like that) on the power supply board. Likewise, "GND" on the DVDO circuit board should connect to the "Vo-" or "-Vout" on the power supply board.

cheers,
..dane
post #7054 of 7106 Old 03-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhenry View Post

Hi,
I have purchased the Edge Green for use with an EPSON 5030. I can get the Edge to sync with the projector at every resolution except for 1080 60P (or 50P). When I try these resolutions I get a "not supported" from the projector. I have no problem syncing directly from my Blu-ray player at 60P and have no problem syncing the Edge to various TV's around the house at 60p. Has anyone experienced this with either an Epson or another projector and have any ideas I could try.
Thanks,
Steve
Hi
Did you get this to work? I am considering purchasing an Edge Green for my Epson 5030.
post #7055 of 7106 Old 03-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

HI
I am new to video processors, and I am considering this one for my first one.
I am using an Epson 5030 Projector, with a DISH Hopper and PS3 for Blu-Rays.
I don't feel I need any enhancement for Blu-Rays.
But I am not at all pleased with the de-interlacing capabilities of the Epson 5030 for the 1080i input from the DISH Hopper.
Would this unit do a significantly better job with de-interlacing than the onboard processor for the Epson 5030?
I use a Yamaha RXV-675 AVR which doesn't do any better of a job de-interlacing the DISH Hopper 1080i signal.

Can I put this between my AVR and Projector? I really don't want to use it to do any HDMI switching.

thanks
post #7056 of 7106 Old 03-11-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm by no means an expert but I've using the EDGE for a bit more than two years and really like what it does for my PQ. I run my TWC box, a Roku XR and a Pioneer laser through it to a 65" Panasonic plasma in my dedicated HT and am very happy with the quality. I especially like the variety of "tweaks" for lack of a better word that let's you fine tune whatever devices you are running through it. For that it was worth the price, which I felt was very reasonable.

post #7057 of 7106 Old 03-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubarduck View Post

Visiting from the future to say thanks for this. I was one of the original DVDO Edge testers, and my power supply finally bit the dust (lasted 5+ years)!

Used your instructions and Mouser still had the medical-rated Cincon power supply in stock. Purchased, used a Dremel to shave the plastic connectors and now I'm back in business. Very easy thanks to your instructions, which was the only thing that came up in search engines.

Hey, thanks for that note, fubarduck!  Glad to hear that someone else has benefited from that old post..

..dane

audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
post #7058 of 7106 Old 03-13-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post

Hi
Did you get this to work? I am considering purchasing an Edge Green for my Epson 5030.

It will sync on any resolution without problem except for 60P no mater which device is turned on first. That however defeats the whole purpose of the processor.
After playing with it I managed to get it to sync reliably at 60P as long as I made sure that the Edge Green was turned on before turning on the projector.
So if you turn of the HDMI sync for controlling device on/off and leave the Edge on it works fine. I used 3D passthrough successfully, but had issues with 1:1 frame rate. It worked fine when passing a 24P source but when switching back to 60P I would lose sync.
So, if you want to pass 24P or 60I all the time its very stable. If you want to pass 60P its finicky. I tried to find somewhere to get help from the Vendor, but they don't seem to have the support they had a few years back...
post #7059 of 7106 Old 03-25-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Hi All
I am looking for information on how to set Edge and Detail enhancement settings. I have looked through the threads, its pretty long, but didn't come up with anything, not much on DVDO web site either.
What sort of test patterns should I be using?
thanks for any suggestions
post #7060 of 7106 Old 03-25-2014, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't tried this with the Duo, but this is what I use for the Lumagen Mini. First, of the various test disks with sharpness patterns, Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk has a very useful sharpness pattern that be of help. As you increase settings look for subtle changes in all areas of the test pattern. The patterns I find most helpful, though, are pluge patterns for setting black level, First, set the black level properly with no sharpness enhancements. Then, as you increase sharpness settings, you will see artifacts arise (edges of darken than black levels will become noticeable) and this indicates the sharpness setting is too high. Finally, I use test pictures (stills), especially with grass, foliage or gravel and it will become obvious if enhancements are too high as details begin to look unnatural. Hope this helps.

Frank
post #7061 of 7106 Old 04-18-2014, 10:04 PM

Hello, I just bought one of these and noticed you had the same problem I am having the .sii file extension. Did you ever get this resolved?

Thanks,

Sean Seely

post #7062 of 7106 Old 04-27-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have the latest firmware for the original Edge? DVDO's website is down and I want to upgrade my Edge for 3D passthrough to take advantage of a new TV I just got.

Thanks,

Shawn
post #7063 of 7106 Old 04-27-2014, 03:44 PM

Shawn,
I believe this is the latest --> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11231221/EDGE_162_146.zip

Kirk
Cary, NC
post #7064 of 7106 Old 04-27-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you very much!

Shawn
post #7065 of 7106 Old 05-18-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Mine is having problems. It will just randomly start and stop outputting a picture, sort of like a low-frequency flicker (1-2hz), and then sometimes it will work, and then randomly drop the picture a couple of times and start working again. Any ideas what is going on with it? I've bypassed it temporarily so that we can use my Premiere XL4 with the TV, but it really sucks having unreliable access to everything else, not to mention losing the scaling/de-interlacing features.
post #7066 of 7106 Old 05-18-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine has done that for a looooong time. I just switch the input on my TV which forces a resync when it gets back around to the input the Edge is attached to and all goes fine from there. Ive only seen it at power up... once its sync'd up with the display, It works fine. (Oh... and the source to the Edge when it does this is..... TiVo XL4.)
post #7067 of 7106 Old 05-18-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

Mine has done that for a looooong time. I just switch the input on my TV which forces a resync when it gets back around to the input the Edge is attached to and all goes fine from there. Ive only seen it at power up... once its sync'd up with the display, It works fine. (Oh... and the source to the Edge when it does this is..... TiVo XL4.)

Interesting. I'll have to give that a try. Maybe I'll even mix up the HDMI ports to see if that helps. For some reason, HDMI 3 absolutely won't work with the Roku, but HDMI 2 works just fine... go figure. HDMI 3 works just fine with the HTPC. It's really bizarre.

I don't know how much of it is the placebo affect, since I know the EDGE isn't in the chain anymore, but the HD content doesn't seem to look nearly as good without it- I didn't think I'd see that much of a difference on a higher bitrate HD channel like HBO.
post #7068 of 7106 Old 05-22-2014, 04:25 AM

Hi all,

I have many docs and firmware versions for the VP30, VP50 and -Pro, as well as for the Edge.
Just mail if you're looking for something.
My non-green started to play up recently, so I just ordered a used Green without the remote through Ebay.

Anyway, my original Edge has developed a strange fault: the image dsisappears after half an hour or so, the blue LED stays on.
Have to pull the cord to revive it which sometimes work etc. etc.
Also, I sometimes see a test pattern out of the blue, or just noise.

Any advice?
post #7069 of 7106 Old 05-22-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barend View Post

Hi all,

I have many docs and firmware versions for the VP30, VP50 and -Pro, as well as for the Edge.
Just mail if you're looking for something.
My non-green started to play up recently, so I just ordered a used Green without the remote through Ebay.

Anyway, my original Edge has developed a strange fault: the image dsisappears after half an hour or so, the blue LED stays on.
Have to pull the cord to revive it which sometimes work etc. etc.
Also, I sometimes see a test pattern out of the blue, or just noise.

Any advice?

Great. Sounds like a variation on the issue I'm having...
post #7070 of 7106 Old 05-24-2014, 02:50 AM

Took it apart, checked the pcb connectors, tapped just about every part.
Next thing I'll try is use freeze spray on the chips.

If THAT doesn't help I will drop it from one metre.
Not as crazy as it seems: used to be a CTV technician in the olden days, and as a last resort this sometimes worked on TV's (well, not from one metre LOL).
post #7071 of 7106 Old 05-25-2014, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just finished reading this beast of a thread. Lots of useful info.. I bought an original edge secondhand 2 months ago and love it. Just registered with AVS to say Thanks to everyone that's posted problems and those that posted helpful solutions to those problems.

Thanks again I appreciated it.
post #7072 of 7106 Old 05-25-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

Mine is working just fine now, after playing a movie with 3D passthrough, and working it hard on some TV with some nasty MPEG-2 artifacts... So I'll keep my fingers crossed, and hopefully if it does it again, your trick will work!
post #7073 of 7106 Old 05-27-2014, 10:10 AM

Has there never been a later build from the 1.0 firmware?
(Edge Green)
post #7074 of 7106 Old 06-04-2014, 04:26 AM

My original Edge stopped working, so I bought two used Greens which both show two problems:

1. Not-fluent image on horizontal camera pans in content.

2. "Check cable" on my Samsung tv, after switching off.
Switching on this msg takes longer as the time is longer, before the image finally appears.

As to (1) I tried most settings: locked/unlocked, 24-50-60 Hz.
As to (2) I tried the source details; my sat settopbox supports 1080i, 1080p, etc.

Anyone?
post #7075 of 7106 Old 06-04-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine keeps going nuts randomly. I put it on a power strip so that I can easily force reboot it. Next step is to keep it off unless I'm using it, and see if that helps...
post #7076 of 7106 Old 06-12-2014, 12:26 AM

I've an original edge just wanna know how apple TV works with this unit? I just want a good 1080i pic. Will be mostly film and anime based viewing. Is there any obvious pitfalls using an apple TV with the edge? My display is a mits ws-65813 if that helps any.

Thanks for any insight
post #7077 of 7106 Old 06-12-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbough View Post
I've an original edge just wanna know how apple TV works with this unit? I just want a good 1080i pic. Will be mostly film and anime based viewing. Is there any obvious pitfalls using an apple TV with the edge? My display is a mits ws-65813 if that helps any.

Thanks for any insight
ATV works fine, but ATV does 1080p/24, not 1080i/60. What's really weird is that they encode their TV shows at 1080p/24, which I can't quite handle, since it makes them look like a movie...
post #7078 of 7106 Old 06-12-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
ATV does 1080p/24, not 1080i/60.
Have a reference for that?
post #7079 of 7106 Old 06-12-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
ATV works fine, but ATV does 1080p/24, not 1080i/60. What's really weird is that they encode their TV shows at 1080p/24, which I can't quite handle, since it makes them look like a movie...
Thanks..running through the edge 1080@60/24 either way that should be fine for a good chunk of my viewing habits mostly film only a little video based programing..anime may be a wild card. Thanks again
post #7080 of 7106 Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Have a reference for that?
If you Google it, a bunch of pages will come up. Everything I've ever seen on there is 1080p/24...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbough View Post
Thanks..running through the edge 1080@60/24 either way that should be fine for a good chunk of my viewing habits mostly film only a little video based programing..anime may be a wild card. Thanks again
It looks nice from an objective image quality point of view, but there's something about watching a TV show in 1080p/24 that is completely bizarre. I've bought a few Discovery channel shows over the years that I missed or didn't have the channel for on cable, and 1080p/24 really throws me off for reality-based programming where I'm expecting something shot at 1080i/60 and broadcast at 1080i/60. It was a while back, so I think they were still using HDV format for a lot of the shots they were taking out in the field for some of these shows.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page