post #7081 of 7106 Old 06-13-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
If you Google it, a bunch of pages will come up. Everything I've ever seen on there is 1080p/24...

I did and everything came up the opposite - no 24p. Again, do you have a reference for that? Let's see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 7106 Old 06-13-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
I did and everything came up the opposite - no 24p. Again, do you have a reference for that? Let's see it.
Are you having fun nitpicking what I said? The ATV technically outputs 1080p60, but the content is mostly or all encoded at 1080p24. Happy now?
post #7083 of 7106 Old 06-13-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

As to the topic of this thread, my EDGE GREEN is in BAD shape. It intermittently goes haywire, flashing at around 1hz. I tried a few tricks to get it to behave, and as of yet, it has not. I'm going to try component video input and resetting all of its settings, but I really doubt either will work. I'll try emailing Anchor Bay in a day or two if I can't get the thing to work. What a PITA!

As much as I like the DVDO EDGE GREEN, if this thing is toast, I am NOT shelling out another $500 for another one. I'll do without until I get a 4K TV, at which point the TV will have more powerful processing in it anyways...
post #7084 of 7106 Old 06-13-2014, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
As to the topic of this thread, my EDGE GREEN is in BAD shape. It intermittently goes haywire, flashing at around 1hz. I tried a few tricks to get it to behave, and as of yet, it has not. I'm going to try component video input and resetting all of its settings, but I really doubt either will work. I'll try emailing Anchor Bay in a day or two if I can't get the thing to work. What a PITA!

As much as I like the DVDO EDGE GREEN, if this thing is toast, I am NOT shelling out another $500 for another one. I'll do without until I get a 4K TV, at which point the TV will have more
powerful processing in it anyways...
That sucks..I almost bought a green but was able to pickup an original for less than a quarter of the cost. Its made connectivity to my CRT much more simple and blu-rays converted to 1080i from 1080p24 through the edge are considerably cleaner than through the players I've used. I'd buy another for the right price. $500 isn't that price for me though
post #7085 of 7106 Old 06-14-2014, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you having fun nitpicking what I said? The ATV technically outputs 1080p60, but the content is mostly or all encoded at 1080p24. Happy now?
Yes for good reason. Credit now for getting your facts (closer to) straight.
post #7086 of 7106 Old 06-14-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Well, fair enough I guess if you admit you're nitpicking. The 24p encoding on the content is what gives it the really strange look, since it acts as a framerate bottleneck compared to 1080i/60.
post #7087 of 7106 Old 06-14-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbough View Post
Quote:

As much as I like the DVDO EDGE GREEN, if this thing is toast, I am NOT shelling out another $500 for another one. I'll do without until I get a 4K TV, at which point the TV will have more
powerful processing in it anyways...
That sucks..I almost bought a green but was able to pickup an original for less than a quarter of the cost. Its made connectivity to my CRT much more simple and blu-rays converted to 1080i from 1080p24 through the edge are considerably cleaner than through the players I've used. I'd buy another for the right price. $500 isn't that price for me though
Yeah. You're doing basically the opposite of what I'm doing. My main use is trying to do as much work on Comcast HDTV before sending a 1080p signal to my TV. Other than the power savings aspects, the OG EDGE is better, as it handles 240p on the composite inputs as well (N64).

I don't see any OG Greens for sale on Ebay, and the Greens are in the $300+ range.
post #7088 of 7106 Old 06-14-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, fair enough I guess if you admit you're nitpicking. The 24p encoding on the content is what gives it the really strange look, since it acts as a framerate bottleneck compared to 1080i/60.
I don't see it nor do I see such complaints unless you are talking about the Edge which I threw away a while ago.
post #7089 of 7106 Old 06-14-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't see it nor do I see such complaints unless you are talking about the Edge which I threw away a while ago.
It's not so much of a complaint as an observation. If you're used to watching a show in 1080i/60 and all of the sudden it's in 1080p/24, it WILL look really odd. That has nothing to do with the EDGE, it doesn't matter what processes it, the look will be different.
post #7090 of 7106 Old 06-15-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
As to the topic of this thread, my EDGE GREEN is in BAD shape. It intermittently goes haywire, flashing at around 1hz. I tried a few tricks to get it to behave, and as of yet, it has not. I'm going to try component video input and resetting all of its settings, but I really doubt either will work.
Same issue with mine - it warms up after 15 - 30 minutes it goes haywire, picture turns to green snow. Had to replace it.

Could this be the power supply going? Anyone want to buy a semi-working Edge and try the mouser CFM60M050 power supply swap?

Last edited by dstroot; 06-15-2014 at 04:18 PM.
post #7091 of 7106 Old 06-15-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstroot View Post
Quote:
As to the topic of this thread, my EDGE GREEN is in BAD shape. It intermittently goes haywire, flashing at around 1hz. I tried a few tricks to get it to behave, and as of yet, it has not. I'm going to try component video input and resetting all of its settings, but I really doubt either will work.
Same issue with mine - it warms up after 15 - 30 minutes it goes haywire, picture turns to green snow. Had to replace it.

Could this be the power supply going? Anyone want to buy a semi-working Edge and try the mouser CFM60M050 power supply swap?
Yeah, that's almost what I'm wondering. How difficult is the PSU swap? For $43, it's almost worth trying...
post #7092 of 7106 Old 06-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Depending on what you want for it, I'd be happy to buy it, swap the PSU, and see what happens..

..dane

audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
post #7093 of 7106 Old 06-18-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had the snow & green screen issue for over a year and never heard back from any emails I've sent to attempt to get it fixed/replaced. :/. Would certainly drop ~$40 if it is indeed a PSU and its plug and play! Mine isn't a Green model though.
post #7094 of 7106 Old 06-19-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post
I've had the snow & green screen issue for over a year and never heard back from any emails I've sent to attempt to get it fixed/replaced. :/. Would certainly drop ~$40 if it is indeed a PSU and its plug and play! Mine isn't a Green model though.
Mine was close to the warranty period, so they agreed to fix it. It's going to take me at least a week just to retrieve the box to RMA it, so it will probably be a month before I get it back, but I'm pretty happy that it will get fixed one way or another.
post #7095 of 7106 Old 06-19-2014, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
Depending on what you want for it, I'd be happy to buy it, swap the PSU, and see what happens..

..dane
How does $75 plus shipping sound? Comes with new remote and cables - I just swapped boxes. Let me know. Cheers.
post #7096 of 7106 Old 06-20-2014, 07:39 PM

I've only had a green screen flash when running my blu-ray player set to original resolution for blu-ray and DVD. Seems like 10-20 handshakes when on that setting green screen each time..switched back to 1080/24 for both and my issues seem to be resolved. Gotta say I love this box used the fine cross hatch test pattern to tighten up my convergence on my ws-65813 very nice
post #7097 of 7106 Old 06-23-2014, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
How does $75 plus shipping sound? Comes with new remote and cables - I just swapped boxes. Let me know. Cheers.
Hey dstroot..

I have had a few things come up on this end where I probably won't have sufficient time to get to it anytime soon.. But if anyone else is interested, here's what I was thinking.. If they want to take this idea and run with it and make you an offer, I'll leave it up to them.

The major issues is that I don't know what the problem is. If it's a power supply, and I buy yours for $75 and sink in $50 more, then I'm up to $125, and that's about what they go for on eBay, but before eBay fees, shipping costs, etc. I'll be honest, I'm looking to flip it like a house; buy, repair, sell. I do this often for various types of electronics for some extra spending money. If the problem is NOT the power supply, then I'm out the cost of the unit AND the replacement power supply. So it's not without risk.

So from the buyer's end, here is what I was thinking..

I/Someone can offer to basically take it off your hands for you and cover the cost of economy shipping charges (ups ground or usps parcel post). Either of those shipping options should run somewhere between $16 and $30. I can paypal you that plus $5 extra (more than enough for paypal fees). So we're talking somewhere in the $20-35 range, shipped. A power supply will add another $50, and if that fixes it, I can sell it and make about $25.. If it doesn't fix it, I can re-sell both pieces separately (broken edge and like-new power supply) and try to break-even.

Unfortunately, as I said, I'm going to have to pass on it at this time, but I think the above scenario is a reasonable one for anyone else who wants to have a go at it.

cheers,
..dane

audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
post #7098 of 7106 Old 06-23-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

It costs $22 and change to ship a DVDO EDGE at the Post Office in case anyone wants to know. I just shipped mine back to California for them to look at.
post #7099 of 7106 Old 06-25-2014, 07:18 PM

If anyone is interested eBay has a few new old stock original edge processors for sale priced same as green models or best offer
post #7100 of 7106 Old 06-26-2014, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbough View Post
If anyone is interested eBay has a few new old stock original edge processors for sale priced same as green models or best offer
I got one for 255 USD + shipping. It just came in and it looks brand new. No scratches at any connector or on the remote.

(I did a best offer on the add Turnbough mentions)

Last edited by FragZero; 06-26-2014 at 07:44 AM.
post #7101 of 7106 Old 07-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Velodyne SMS-1/ Edge Green / Sony PJ not playing nice (no video)

Hey guys. I just picked up a used SMS-1 and it seems to be functioning correctly (fires up, plays test tones, etc), but I can't get the video to display from my projector. I hope it is not the case that the video is so low res that it won't display -- but here is my signal change:

SMS-1 via S-video out (or composite - I tried both) --> DVDO Edge Green S-Video in (or Composite in) -- input set correctly relevant input ---> Sony VPL-HW55ES via HDMI output from Edge.

Now the Edge sees the signal from the SMS, and it's LED goes from Red (no signal passed) to Blue (signal being passed). But the Sony will just to go to blank (sometimes you will see the video for a split second before it blank). In fact, I can't even get the Sony's menu (or the Edge's menu) to display. It seems to be an output/input compatibility issue between the Edge and Sony (which otherwise the two work perfectly together).

Any ideas -- do I need to change the output signal (which currently defaults to 1080p/60)? Is it an HDCP issue? Is there a new school and old school incompatibility between the Sony or Edge and the SMS-1?

Help!

CT

My Bargain Basement Theater
post #7102 of 7106 Old 07-10-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
What do you see when you press the Info button?

Perhaps Sony requires HDCP on all 1080p devices ... try setting the output for this input to be 480p or 720p.
post #7103 of 7106 Old 07-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
What do you see when you press the Info button?

Perhaps Sony requires HDCP on all 1080p devices ... try setting the output for this input to be 480p or 720p.
Thanks for trying to help. I will do that.

When it goes blank it kind of locks up the display. The DVDO menu and info buttons work (when I switch back to another input the menu is being displayed -- i.e., pushed out by the Edge), but the Sony refuses to show anything when S-Video is selected.

I know I should refer to the manual -- but is there a way to set the output resolution for S-Video input only? Assuming so -- I will try that tonight.

post #7104 of 7106 Old 07-11-2014, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
Thanks for trying to help. I will do that.

When it goes blank it kind of locks up the display. The DVDO menu and info buttons work (when I switch back to another input the menu is being displayed -- i.e., pushed out by the Edge), but the Sony refuses to show anything when S-Video is selected.

I know I should refer to the manual -- but is there a way to set the output resolution for S-Video input only? Assuming so -- I will try that tonight.
For the knowledge base (and other Edge owners):

Just an update -- it seems like the when the Edge is passing the video signal of the SMS-1, the Sony PJ refuses to play nice. Even if I set the output resolution to 480p or 780p on the Edge, locked/unlocked the framerate, on/off with HDCP, etc., etc.

So I took the Edge out of the signal chain and plugged the SMS-1 video straight into my Onkyo SR805 -- and then the projector into the HDMI out on the 805. That worked ... so all is good. Odd though that the Edge somehow won't pass (or the Sony won't accept) the signal

post #7105 of 7106 Old 07-29-2014, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is the DVDO Edge 101 the same model as the Edge Green?

And, can the Edge 101 convert from 1080p@24Hz input to 1080p@60Hz output, and from 1080p@50Hz to 1080p@60Hz?

Thanks

/Martin
post #7106 of 7106 Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
Is the DVDO Edge 101 the same model as the Edge Green?

And, can the Edge 101 convert from 1080p@24Hz input to 1080p@60Hz output, and from 1080p@50Hz to 1080p@60Hz?

Thanks
Edge 101 is the original edge not the green model there are some differences between the models.

I have the original and use it to convert 1080p@24 blurays into 1080i and works perfectly should do the same at 1080p

I have never used PAL equipment so I can't comment on that..my knowledge of the unit is pretty basic but its responded well with all of my equipment and works perfectly in my setup
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page