DVDO EDGE !! - Page 239 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #7141 of 7170 Old 10-12-2015, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 452
My Edge works!

It has always made a faint squealing noise though, mechanical that is, emanating from the unit itself (not an electrical modification to the sound). It occurs even when turned off.

I seem to have firmware build 1.60/1.36. Has this ever been addressed in any firmware update or is all I'm missing 3-D pass-through [which I don't care about since I don't have a 3-D TV]?

The noise is so faint I wouldn't even notice it in typical living room use, but I happen to have the Edge right next to me in this particular setup.

Thanks.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, or the tint of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a book. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness" , faithful to the original artist's work: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy (or "reproduction") of the original with, ideally, no discernable adulterations: aka "transparency".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7142 of 7170 Old 10-18-2015, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm not getting ANY signal from the hdmi inputs on my edge 101
help
post #7143 of 7170 Old 10-21-2015, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I hardly ever use my Edge. About a year ago, when boxing it up, I noticed the outer metal box had a sort of rubbery, almost sticky, uniform coating to it. I didn't think much of it at the time, thinking they use some odd rubbery paint, but now I have the desire to hook it up again and when moving it out of the rack to go to the new room, having had no additional use and no even AC power connected to it for about a year, I notice what was an odd, exterior has progressed to a full on, visible sticky slime. All the devices that were above it are fine, and I carefully keep all liquids away from my rack, but the only thing I can think of is that there are some leaky capacitors in some higher level piece of gear which is dripping down onto my Edge.

Anyone else ever notice an oddness to the outer shell that would be described as sticky? Almost as if a can of cola spilled on it and was left to dry?

Edit to add: removed top to scrub in sink. Soap won't touch it. Moved to isopropyl alcohol. That did the trick.[After like half a bottle!] New theory: sticky feet on higher product in rack fell off or when heated the adhesive backing melted and migrated down slightly at each heating cycle. I don't think anything got inside the Edge so once dried, I'll put the cover back on and I should be OK.
That's gross.. I'm glad you were able to clean it. That box sure gets VERY hot, I'm not surprised if it melted something that was on top of it..

..dane
post #7144 of 7170 Old 10-25-2015, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
That's gross.. I'm glad you were able to clean it. That box sure gets VERY hot, I'm not surprised if it melted something that was on top of it..

..dane
My Edge also had a sticky coating on it, mostly on the front plastic 'rim' at the front. The whole top/side panel is also kinda sticky, but no where near as bad as that front rim. I also found alcohol did a good job getting it cleaned, but I think it did so by taking a layer off the plastic, as the cloth was completely black. I think it's just the plastic/rubber these panels are made out of are degrading. I've got nothing sitting on top of mine.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime

Last edited by oryan_dunn; 10-25-2015 at 05:10 PM.
post #7145 of 7170 Old 10-25-2015, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, my cotton balls of alcohol turned black when I cleaned mine.

Interesting that this occurred to you too yet you are confident it wasn't from adhesive from another product above since there were none.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, or the tint of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a book. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness" , faithful to the original artist's work: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy (or "reproduction") of the original with, ideally, no discernable adulterations: aka "transparency".
post #7146 of 7170 Old 11-18-2015, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just doing some googling to see if the DVDO edge was still worth keeping. I have had it for years, but now with everything being native HD, a scaler seemed less useful. Plus I figure new equipment could do the job better, and a simple HDMI switch would take up less space.

Anyway, I ended up on this thread, and just want to mentions I also have the slimy top. good to know it is cleanable. I tried a damp paper towel when i first noticed it, but that literally accomplished nothing.

My only sources are a Roku, and PS3/PS4. I am in the process of building a HTPC, at which point I won't need the Roku any more. Does the DVDO still have any benefits to me?

post #7147 of 7170 Old 11-18-2015, 04:38 AM

I was just doing some googling to see if the DVDO edge was still worth keeping. I have had it for years, but now with everything being native HD, a scaler seemed less useful. Plus I figure new equipment could do the job better, and a simple HDMI switch would take up less space.

Anyway, I ended up on this thread, and just want to mentions I also have the slimy top. good to know it is cleanable. I tried a damp paper towel when i first noticed it, but that literally accomplished nothing.

My only sources are a Roku, and PS3/PS4. I am in the process of building a HTPC, at which point I won't need the Roku any more. Does the DVDO still have any benefits to me?

post #7148 of 7170 Old 11-18-2015, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 185
No unless you are running some old material with odd resolutions get rid of it and anything working on your signal. HD needs nothing.
post #7149 of 7170 Old 11-19-2015, 04:37 PM

Thanks. That is kind of what I was thinking.

post #7150 of 7170 Old 11-24-2015, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

I still use the Edge for the priority input switching.. I haven't yet found another product that has that.. I also still have a Nintendo Wii with composite inputs, so there's that..

..dane
post #7151 of 7170 Old 11-24-2015, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

My image went all purplish and then later all greenish. Almost like a broken lead on a component wire connection, but it can't be that because I'm using only HDMI in and out. Any ideas?

Some input cycling seems to cure it, temporarily, but then it returns out of the blue. The signal is still there and I can make out the scene in the movie but it is like a monochromatic version that's been colored all purple.

post #7152 of 7170 Old 11-25-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 24
About keeping your Edge or getting rid of it...

I agree that, if the only stuff you are ever going to watch comes from high quality sources, there is little reason to keep your Edge. However ...

The reason I keep my Edge is that I watch Cable TV, DVDs, and other sources of varying quality like Youtube. A few example of why I still find the Edge useful:
  • I still have a few old treasured DVDs that I transferred from VCR tapes, and they are almost un-watchable without something like an Edge.
  • One of the things that drives me nuts is that a few local TV channels occasionally show an old SD movie that is upscaled to HD. The Edge helps them look better, and I can add a very small amount of overscan to remove the distracting white line along the top that these shows often have.
  • Early model PS3s will play PS1 games, and many (Gods of War, for example) of my PS1 games look better when I use an Edge. Same is true if you use a game emulator on your HTPC to play really old games.
  • The Edge will help you enjoy Youtube videos or downloaded old movies (www.archives.org is a good source of copyright free movies) on your HTPC.
  • I was streaming a fairly current TV show on NetFlix a couple of nights ago and they encoded the aspect ratio wrong (everything was squeezed into a 4:3 box in the middle of the screen). None of the aspect ration presets on my TV could fix the problem, so I had to go into the Edge's Zoom function to make the video wider and a little shorter before we could watch the show.

So what I am saying is that the Edge may not have a lot of wow factor any more, but it can do quite a few little things that will make your viewing experience a little better. Also, I have a VCR with HDMI output, so I disagree with the theory that using HDMI automatically means a video processor cannot improve the video.
audiodane likes this.
post #7153 of 7170 Old 11-25-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

A feature I like on the EDGE is the magic trick analysis feature: you can selectively zoom in on any particular part of the screen to analyze a particular move the magician uses. On Penn and Teller Fool Us I have analyzed more than one trick which stumped Penn and Teller, which I figured out, thanks to this (often used in conjunction with slow motion frame by frame analysis). The EDGE is the only affordable device on the market which offers this useful, selectable zoom feature.
audiodane likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 11-25-2015 at 11:48 AM.
post #7154 of 7170 Old 12-19-2015, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 18
DVDO Edge (non-green) failure

Quote:
My image went all purplish and then later all greenish. Almost like a broken lead on a component wire connection, but it can't be that because I'm using only HDMI in and out. Any ideas?

Some input cycling seems to cure it, temporarily, but then it returns out of the blue. The signal is still there and I can make out the scene in the movie but it is like a monochromatic version that's been colored all purple.

Mine exhibited this as well and eventually died--more details below:

Question for the other owners out there: If your unit has failed, what symptoms did it exhibit before it died? I'm aware that the power supply is known to die a premature death (have the part # bookmarked for such an occasion) but it seems mine went another route.

First I lost HDMI 5. Thought it might have been from hot-plugging something and blamed myself. More recently it was showing a white line at the top of the screen that would come and go. The picture would shift up and down, across multiple inputs. Then it became temperamental with certain sources that would work fine direct to the TV. I had to keep power-cycling (input switching no longer worked) the unit to finish watching a movie.

This evening it refuses to show any sources on any inputs. I can bring up the GUI just fine. I enter safe mode (guide button) and it doesn't resolve. Every input and source is "unsupported format". Interestingly enough if I bring up the 1/2 and 1/2 test patterns (the ones over a video source), the video side is scrambled green pixels. (Otherwise the inputs show a blue screen) I re-flashed the newest firmware without any change in behaviour.

Has anyone else seen an Edge die like this? Anything else I could try?

Edit: all my cables are Redmere, which I know some people blame for early port failure.
Edit2: the EDGE retained all my user settings after the flash. This surprised me. How do I do a "proper" factory reset?

Last edited by HDgaming42; 12-19-2015 at 12:59 PM.
post #7155 of 7170 Old 01-06-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I no longer need to use my Edge as a video processor but I do need a 6x2 HDMI matrix switch. The Edge seems like it should serve that purpose if I can turn off all of its processing. I have done the obvious stuff, like put it in Game Mode and turn off any feature that is optional, but wonder if anyone knows if it is possible to turn on a "pass through" mode.

Thanks!
post #7156 of 7170 Old 01-06-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

^ I think you have done all that can be done. There is no official "bypass everything" feature.

post #7157 of 7170 Old 01-06-2016, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
I no longer need to use my Edge as a video processor but I do need a 6x2 HDMI matrix switch. The Edge seems like it should serve that purpose if I can turn off all of its processing. I have done the obvious stuff, like put it in Game Mode and turn off any feature that is optional, but wonder if anyone knows if it is possible to turn on a "pass through" mode.

Thanks!
Can you do video out on both ports? I thought it was audio out only on one, and no Matrix ability, i.e. both on the same input.
post #7158 of 7170 Old 01-06-2016, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you're right, it isn't a full matrix switch. I pass the video+audio to my TV but just the audio to my receiver.

Is there anyway (unofficially) to use it as a pass through device for the video?
post #7159 of 7170 Old 01-07-2016, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, you're right, it isn't a full matrix switch. I pass the video+audio to my TV but just the audio to my receiver.

Is there anyway (unofficially) to use it as a pass through device for the video?
You can pass audio and video on the video port, but I don't think you can pass video through the audio port. I'm not 100% on that though.
post #7160 of 7170 Old 01-25-2016, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

I may have a friend looking for one of these.. Anybody have one to sell?

..dane
post #7161 of 7170 Old 01-25-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking about this the other day: some people may value this device merely as an "HDMI auto input switcher" or as a "video test pattern generator":
- color bars/fields
- gray scale ramps
- geometry/overscan/focus grids
etc..

post #7162 of 7170 Old 01-25-2016, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was thinking about this the other day: some people may value this device merely as an "HDMI auto input switcher" or as a "video test pattern generator":
- color bars/fields
- gray scale ramps
- geometry/overscan/focus grids
etc..
Yup-- I, myself, mainly use it as a video input switcher and audio router. Most of my sources are all HD at this point (except a Nintendo Wii). I love that I can just turn on the TV and use TV speakers (no muss, no fuss), or I can turn on the AVR and have full surround sound. That really makes it a dual-use room for the family -- regular TV most of the time, and home theater when the sun goes down...

cheers,
..dane
post #7163 of 7170 Old 01-25-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yup-- I, myself, mainly use it as a video input switcher and audio router. Most of my sources are all HD at this point (except a Nintendo Wii). I love that I can just turn on the TV and use TV speakers (no muss, no fuss), or I can turn on the AVR and have full surround sound. That really makes it a dual-use room for the family -- regular TV most of the time, and home theater when the sun goes down...
One of my former roommates would use the TV speakers for Netflix (everything else was video-only since I had the DVDO EDGE set up to only send video to the TV). I could never understand why anyone would use those god-awful speakers. UGH! I got an optical cable to feed audio from the Smart TV to the AVR so that I could use her Netflix account without listening to those horrible things!
post #7164 of 7170 Old 01-28-2016, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
One of my former roommates would use the TV speakers for Netflix (everything else was video-only since I had the DVDO EDGE set up to only send video to the TV). I could never understand why anyone would use those god-awful speakers. UGH! I got an optical cable to feed audio from the Smart TV to the AVR so that I could use her Netflix account without listening to those horrible things!
Heh heh.. well, not everyone shares that opinion (cue gasp!) .. my wife doesn't really care, so I make it easy for her thanks to the DVDO ...

..dane
post #7165 of 7170 Old 01-29-2016, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Shameless plug......I have a Edge green for sale on the forum if anyone is interested. Trying to fund a high end blu-ray player

tony4k
post #7166 of 7170 Old 02-01-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Heh heh.. well, not everyone shares that opinion (cue gasp!) .. my wife doesn't really care, so I make it easy for her thanks to the DVDO ...

..dane
I just don't get it. There's really no downside to using the AVR, and the sound is so much better! Even if you're trying not to disturb others in the house that are sleeping or whatever, I think the AVR is the better bet as you get clearer audio out of it at lower volumes than you can with the POS tinny little speakers in the TV.
post #7167 of 7170 Old 02-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just don't get it. There's really no downside to using the AVR, and the sound is so much better! Even if you're trying not to disturb others in the house that are sleeping or whatever, I think the AVR is the better bet as you get clearer audio out of it at lower volumes than you can with the POS tinny little speakers in the TV.
Hehe.. well, all I can say is that not everyone's ears are built the same. I'll also say that I still use my 2009 Panasonic Plasma. It's a bit "bulky" by modern standards, but (1) is plasma, and (2) it's speakers are a good bit larger (and better) than most tiny LCD display speakers. Now, I agree the AVR (IMO) is loads better. But even more important than that is my marriage.

..dane
post #7168 of 7170 Old 02-06-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hehe.. well, all I can say is that not everyone's ears are built the same. I'll also say that I still use my 2009 Panasonic Plasma. It's a bit "bulky" by modern standards, but (1) is plasma, and (2) it's speakers are a good bit larger (and better) than most tiny LCD display speakers. Now, I agree the AVR (IMO) is loads better. But even more important than that is my marriage.

..dane
I suppose the speakers could be less bad with a thicker TV, since there is more physical room for them than on a modern LED-LCD, but still. They are still going to sound pretty bad compared to even a very modest surround sound HT setup.
post #7169 of 7170 Old 02-07-2016, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just don't get it. There's really no downside to using the AVR, and the sound is so much better!
There is a reason there is chocolate and vanilla ice cream - everyone has different favorites. My wife hates multichannel sound. She has me stop movies all the time because she hears something from a the surround speakers and wants to make sure it isn't someone at the front door, the phone ringing, the furnace making a funny sound, or whatever. I just got a Samsung LCD TV and she loves the fact that we can use the TV's speaker with the sound downmixed to stereo.
audiodane likes this.
post #7170 of 7170 Old Today, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There is a reason there is chocolate and vanilla ice cream - everyone has different favorites. My wife hates multichannel sound. She has me stop movies all the time because she hears something from a the surround speakers and wants to make sure it isn't someone at the front door, the phone ringing, the furnace making a funny sound, or whatever. I just got a Samsung LCD TV and she loves the fact that we can use the TV's speaker with the sound downmixed to stereo.
WHAT?!?! That's not chocolate and vanilla. Surround sound is just objectively better and more immersive. She needs to get used to it, appreciate it, and enjoy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page