DVDO EDGE !! - Page 242 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
post #7231 of 7234 Unread Today, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 195
But then it didn't occur to you that connections/cables could be the problem either. Loss of a color is a common problem that goes back to component days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7232 of 7234 Unread Today, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Exactly as I suspected, Deoxit costs much more than a new HDMI cord, so for anyone hoping to see if cleaning might help, don't hold your breath.

[When I get a chance, I might check out if this iffy cord works on other devices in other systems around the house though]
post #7233 of 7234 Unread Today, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I agree most solid state, non-mechanical, low current electronics don't suffer much from being left on 24/7, it's the notion that oxidation (electrical contact film) is a function of use or electrical flow that I disagreed with.

HDMI cords are so cheap these days I wonder if buying deoxit is even worth it but your mention of cleaning did prompt me to visually inspect it. Under an unaided eye the pins all look normal but I did notice the outer surface has some sort of "film" on it. I guess in theory the internal pins which can't be inspected as easily do too, not sure.

For demonstration purposes I gave a quick, cursory wipe using merely my finger and the film [related to fumes from the weird sticky exterior issue?...hmm...] easily wiped off. I'm reluctant to now swap this cable back in to see is it is OK since I don't want to ruin a good thing, but here's a photo I took with my iphone 5 showing the white film on right and the shiny gold surface on the casual finger wiped left side one:
Wow, the plating on one of those connectors is so horribly worn that I think I may have laughed for 3 or 4mins. If it's that worn on the outside I'd have to agree that the surfaces on the internal pins probably aren't ideal . The really funny thing is that even the "good" connector shows a lot more wear than any HDMI cable I've ever used.

It's absolutely no surprise that these are "cheap" HDMI cables . The shiny gold connector shows signs of some pitting. You are right about even bothering cleaning these & re-inserting them.

(He,he.he,he............. thanks for the "cheap" entertainment. Your DVDO Edge has it's work cut out for it using these HDMI "cords" as you like to call them (& as such it's a good thing they're cheap)

Last edited by newStevea; Today at 07:01 PM.
post #7234 of 7234 Unread Today, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Cheap cords (as zillions of people call them) are definitely the way to go in this instance. Looks like that three dollars I spent on this one (they're even cheaper now) was well worth the decade, or so, of use it gave me, in fact I suspect it still works fine if I wipe clean the second end (no Deoxit necessary).

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; Today at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors