Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
post #7231 of 7254 Old 09-30-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 198
But then it didn't occur to you that connections/cables could be the problem either. Loss of a color is a common problem that goes back to component days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7232 of 7254 Old 09-30-2016, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Exactly as I suspected, Deoxit costs much more than a new HDMI cord, so for anyone hoping to see if cleaning might help, don't hold your breath.

[When I get a chance, I might check out if this iffy cord works on other devices in other systems around the house though]
post #7233 of 7254 Old 09-30-2016, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I agree most solid state, non-mechanical, low current electronics don't suffer much from being left on 24/7, it's the notion that oxidation (electrical contact film) is a function of use or electrical flow that I disagreed with.

HDMI cords are so cheap these days I wonder if buying deoxit is even worth it but your mention of cleaning did prompt me to visually inspect it. Under an unaided eye the pins all look normal but I did notice the outer surface has some sort of "film" on it. I guess in theory the internal pins which can't be inspected as easily do too, not sure.

For demonstration purposes I gave a quick, cursory wipe using merely my finger and the film [related to fumes from the weird sticky exterior issue?...hmm...] easily wiped off. I'm reluctant to now swap this cable back in to see is it is OK since I don't want to ruin a good thing, but here's a photo I took with my iphone 5 showing the white film on right and the shiny gold surface on the casual finger wiped left side one:
Wow, the plating on one of those connectors is so horribly worn that I think I may have laughed for 3 or 4mins. If it's that worn on the outside I'd have to agree that the surfaces on the internal pins probably aren't ideal . The really funny thing is that even the "good" connector shows a lot more wear than any HDMI cable I've ever used.

It's absolutely no surprise that these are "cheap" HDMI cables . The shiny gold connector shows signs of some pitting. You are right about even bothering cleaning these & re-inserting them.

(He,he.he,he............. thanks for the "cheap" entertainment. Your DVDO Edge has it's work cut out for it using these HDMI "cords" as you like to call them (& as such it's a good thing they're cheap)

Last edited by newStevea; 09-30-2016 at 08:01 PM.
post #7234 of 7254 Old 09-30-2016, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Cheap cords (as zillions of people call them) are definitely the way to go in this instance. Looks like that three dollars I spent on this one (they're even cheaper now) was well worth the decade, or so, of use it gave me, in fact I suspect it still works fine if I wipe clean the second end (no Deoxit necessary).

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 09-30-2016 at 08:20 PM.
post #7235 of 7254 Old 11-05-2016, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I own a edge for a few years, I wan't to look at 3d content.
What firmware version should I use and where can I download it.

What is the button for video pass through, I want to use my edge as a hdmi switch only

I got the version with the extra hdmi input on the front
post #7236 of 7254 Old 11-05-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by master30 View Post
I own a edge for a few years, I wan't to look at 3d content.
What firmware version should I use and where can I download it.

What is the button for video pass through, I want to use my edge as a hdmi switch only

I got the version with the extra hdmi input on the front
My understanding, but I am not 100% sure, is that only the EDGE Green, not the one you have, can pass-through [no processing allowed] 3D content. Sorry.

Other than turning off all processing I don't think there is a direct video pass through either on the non-Green units. Doing this should effectively be just as good, I would think, although theoretically it would be nice to bypass the circuits entirely, yes.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #7237 of 7254 Old 11-05-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
My understanding, but I am not 100% sure, is that only the EDGE Green, not the one you have, can pass-through [no processing allowed] 3D content. Sorry.

Other than turning off all processing I don't think there is a direct video pass through either on the non-Green units. Doing this should effectively be just as good, I would think, although theoretically it would be nice to bypass the circuits entirely, yes.
It's time to say goodbye to the edge.

I better buy a hdmi switch with edid , so I can still use my old yamaha rxv1800 and enjoy 3D (and 4K) on my new Epson tw9300
post #7238 of 7254 Old 11-05-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I better buy a hdmi switch with edid , so I can still use my old yamaha rxv1800 and enjoy 3D (and 4K) on my new Epson tw9300
I guess you are already aware your Yamaha, a nice machine otherwise, can't pass 3D because being from 2009 and only HDMI 1.3a it can't pass 3D. You need at least HDMI 1.4

HDMI guide:
http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answer...1.4-and-2.0%3F
post #7239 of 7254 Old 11-05-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I guess you are already aware your Yamaha, a nice machine otherwise, can't pass 3D because being from 2009 and only HDMI 1.3a it can't pass 3D. You need at least HDMI 1.4

HDMI guide:
http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answer...1.4-and-2.0%3F
Yes, Thank you.

I want to upgrade the yamaha in the future, a switch is the poor man's solution for now
m. zillch likes this.
post #7240 of 7254 Old 11-07-2016, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Are there discrete IR codes that give direct access to say pan horizontal and vertical controls?
post #7241 of 7254 Old 11-28-2016, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Quote:

I own the original Edge. It will absolutely pass through 3d. There is an option in the settings to enable it. You might need the latest firmware for this option, I'm not sure. After going 4K, I'm not using the unit as much as I used too, mostly to upscale LD and S-VHS sources.
post #7242 of 7254 Old 11-28-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Mine seems to be on the fritz. It's had issues on several occasions outputting audio, in addition to two HDMI inputs that randomly black out for a few seconds. With the audio, it will lock on with the AVR for a few seconds and then die. I finally gave up tonight and set it to output audio on the video output, and then I routed through the TV to the AVR via optical, which is fine for any of my low-quality/1080p sources like my HTPC, Wii U or TiVo (my UHD BD, Roku Ultra, and Chromecast Ultra are connected directly to the TV, with separate HDMI and optical for the UHD BD and Roku, respectively).

I'm about to give up on the thing next time around and run my 1080p sources through the AVR.
post #7243 of 7254 Old 12-04-2016, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had an EDGE GREEN for years and love it. I'd like to find a pristine spare. Any recommendations?
post #7244 of 7254 Old 12-04-2016, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Update: My issues are probably my AVR, not my EDGE Green. My UHD BD is doing the same thing now. Still not sure if the EDGE Green has a place in my next setup, especially if I finally cut the cord, and don't have any crappy Comcast channels to try and fix up before sending them to my UHDTV.
post #7245 of 7254 Old 12-04-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Update: My issues are probably my AVR, not my EDGE Green. My UHD BD is doing the same thing now. Still not sure if the EDGE Green has a place in my next setup, especially if I finally cut the cord, and don't have any crappy Comcast channels to try and fix up before sending them to my UHDTV.
I find my Edge quite useful with my UHD TV. For me it is mostly about independence. I don't use my AVR as a video switch mainly because it is old and was expensive. It still sounds great and works wonderfully, but doesn't support anything beyond HDMI 1.2. I also have 7 video sources, so the Edge having 6 inputs is a great help. Because of the Edge, I not hindered by the receiver's number of inputs nor its aged specs, and find no reason to replace it.

Furthermore, I still watch a surprising number of DVDs. The Edge does a better job of upconverting them than the TV, so I can still enjoy watching them. A less obvious issue of mine is that I don't want my TV connected to the Internet. There are a several reasons for this, but mainly I have my TV setup just as I like it, and I don't want a firmware update. I've heard about updates causing problems, so I figure why take a risk.

So, all told, I find a video processor still plays an important role in my TV room. I actually tried using my UHD TV without the Edge, but switched back to it after about a month.
post #7246 of 7254 Old 12-04-2016, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a DVDO Edge with the HDMI port in front. I love using it. No issues at all. However, I'm starting to make the move to 4k. I have 4k from my DirecTV receiver, Xbox One S, PS4 Pro and want a switch that can send the 4k singnal to my 4k TV and the lossless audio to my receiver. My receiver is older, a Sherwood Newcastle R972 but I love the Trinnov room correction so I don't want to upgrade. What is out there that can switch 4k for me and has 2 HDMI outputs? I also probably need the HDCP 2.2 since the DirecTV needs it I believe.
post #7247 of 7254 Old 12-04-2016, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
I find my Edge quite useful with my UHD TV. For me it is mostly about independence. I don't use my AVR as a video switch mainly because it is old and was expensive. It still sounds great and works wonderfully, but doesn't support anything beyond HDMI 1.2. I also have 7 video sources, so the Edge having 6 inputs is a great help. Because of the Edge, I not hindered by the receiver's number of inputs nor its aged specs, and find no reason to replace it.

Furthermore, I still watch a surprising number of DVDs. The Edge does a better job of upconverting them than the TV, so I can still enjoy watching them. A less obvious issue of mine is that I don't want my TV connected to the Internet. There are a several reasons for this, but mainly I have my TV setup just as I like it, and I don't want a firmware update. I've heard about updates causing problems, so I figure why take a risk.

So, all told, I find a video processor still plays an important role in my TV room. I actually tried using my UHD TV without the Edge, but switched back to it after about a month.
I may keep mine around. It's good for the Wii, TiVo, HTPC (don't want to shell out for a 4k graphics card just for the desktop to look sharper) and it would still work with my new TiVo Roamio OTA. However, it can't handle my UHD-BD, Roku Ultra, or Chromecast Ultra. The other annoying part is that I have to manually switch the output from 720p to 1080p depending on the channel, as I don't want ESPN games to be converted from 720p to 1080p to 2160p, I want them to go directly from 720p to 2160p. Once Comcast goes to MPEG-4 and everything looks like garbage, I can just leave it at 720p though, since they will be down-rezzing everything to 720p anyway....

I've got to get this audio issue sorted out. If my AVR is in fact going bad on the HDMI side, that means I have to figure out how I'm going to switch everything, probably through the TV with one optical cable back to the AVR. That would actually make operation of the system and the cabling a lot simpler, even though it wouldn't give me full bitstreaming capability for UHD-BD disks with DTS-HD MA.

Do you have a separate old DVD player you're feeding through the EDGE? I would think that the UHD-BD player would be a better job upscaling than the EDGE?
post #7248 of 7254 Old 12-04-2016, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Onkyo S9400THX HDMI Audio Unreliable

Turns out it's an AVR issue. My AVR is going back for a repair. My EDGE still has two HDMI IN ports that are going bad, but 3 still work properly.
post #7249 of 7254 Old 12-05-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnapena View Post
I have a DVDO Edge with the HDMI port in front. I love using it. No issues at all. However, I'm starting to make the move to 4k. I have 4k from my DirecTV receiver, Xbox One S, PS4 Pro and want a switch that can send the 4k singnal to my 4k TV and the lossless audio to my receiver. My receiver is older, a Sherwood Newcastle R972 but I love the Trinnov room correction so I don't want to upgrade. What is out there that can switch 4k for me and has 2 HDMI outputs? I also probably need the HDCP 2.2 since the DirecTV needs it I believe.
I've been looking at the DVDO Quick6 or DVDO Matrix but they don't pass HDCP 2.2 and I'm not sure if they're planning on updating the firmware for the products to do that in the future. Should I get one of these switchers or something else now that my DVDO Edge seems outdated for 4k?
post #7250 of 7254 Old 12-05-2016, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've been looking at the DVDO Quick6 or DVDO Matrix but they don't pass HDCP 2.2 and I'm not sure if they're planning on updating the firmware for the products to do that in the future. Should I get one of these switchers or something else now that my DVDO Edge seems outdated for 4k?
Just get an HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 switch connected directly to the TV. If you need lossless audio from the XBone, I believe it only has one HDMI out, so you'd need a 4k-capable receiver. IMO, cheaper to get a UHD-BD with two HDMI outputs, or live with DD 5.1 over optical. If your TV can pass DTS-HD MA via ARC, that's another avenue to look at. I have a similar setup, with my 4k stuff directly connected to the TV, and 1080p stuff running through the DVDO EDGE. It gets convoluted because the Roku feeds optical directly to my AVR, my EDGE Green feeds HDMI audio to my AVR, and my UHD-BD feeds HDMI audio to my AVR, but the Chromecast Ultra has to backfeed through the TV's optical port. I guess I should really simplify the setup and run everything except the UHD-BD through optical from the TV, or at least run the Roku that way, but I like the control of the direct connection, so I end up with the pile of spaghetti that I have.
post #7251 of 7254 Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM

I haven't found another reputable HDCP 2.2 compatible switch. Do you know of one? I was leaning towards DVDO since I've used their products in the past and they've made quality products. However, I'm not sure about this new line. I'd love to get a Matrix44 if it for sure would work with HDCP 2.2.
post #7252 of 7254 Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

There's a bunch out there that can do 4k on Amazon or just Google them.
post #7253 of 7254 Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
There's a bunch out there that can do 4k on Amazon or just Google them.
Yeah but none of them have amazing reviews and most aren't HDCP 2.2 compatible. Reviews on Amazon for the Blackbird, Monoprice, Kinivo, and others mention all kinds of issues.
post #7254 of 7254 Unread Today, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah but none of them have amazing reviews and most aren't HDCP 2.2 compatible. Reviews on Amazon for the Blackbird, Monoprice, Kinivo, and others mention all kinds of issues.
Interesting. I didn't realize they were having problems like that. I guess over time they will flesh them out and get some better switches out there at a reasonable price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Processors