post #151 of 7106 Old 07-24-2008, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightminer View Post

As to people above saying they should add the Panny version of 1366 - I agree. Aren't Panny and Pio the 2 top sellers? I would include the main resolutions for both. It is all market research, whatever the top sellers are. But - be careful! Not the top sellers overall. Be very careful here. The top sellers of units that are high quality enough that people are still willing to buy more stuff to add to them. The Costco 'how can it be that cheap' Plasma's from companies you've never heard of - people who buy those aren't going to add an Edge to it in general. From everything I've heard about Plasma's so far its a Panny/Pio world for the middle-high end or high end or whatever we want to call it. So if you add the Pio and Panny 1366 so we can get 1:1 pixel mapping - gigantic market just opened up with a perfect solution!

Most consumer HDTVs (not industrial/commercial models) that have a 1366x768 resolution DO NOT EVEN accept this resolution. This is true of the 1366x768 plasma TVs from Panasonic and the 1365x768 plasmas from Pioneer.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 7106 Old 07-24-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Can the Edge be configured to automatically switch between 1080p24 output for film-based sources and 1080p60 output for video-based sources?

There are discrete codes for outputting 1080p-24 and 1080p-60 (as well as all other default formats) although EDGE will not switch automatically based on the content. This is done so that a typical consumer will not have to deal with a display syncing/resyncing as they are watching a film on broadcast TV with video-based commercials.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #153 of 7106 Old 07-24-2008, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightminer View Post

As to people above saying they should add the Panny version of 1366 - I agree. Aren't Panny and Pio the 2 top sellers? I would include the main resolutions for both.

Last I checked the 768p Panny plasmas wouldn't accept native over HDMI. Has this changed?
post #154 of 7106 Old 07-24-2008, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@dvdo View Post

There are discrete codes for outputting 1080p-24 and 1080p-60 (as well as all other default formats) although EDGE will not switch automatically based on the content.

Meaning you can switch b/w 1080p24 output and 1080p60 output "on-the-fly" by remote control?
post #155 of 7106 Old 07-24-2008, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

re vert. stretch for lens based 2.35:1 cih setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkes View Post

To clarify on the 2.35:1 question. If I understand correctly, the EDGE will only allow a zoom as compared to a stretch that would be on the VP line. Correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

also to josh@dvdo/anyone:
Would the zoom method result in a lesser pq than the stretch method?

thanks!

10' from 84" screen.

post #156 of 7106 Old 07-24-2008, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Meaning you can switch b/w 1080p24 output and 1080p60 output "on-the-fly" by remote control?

These codes would need to be programmed into a universal remote control. We are considering allowing the user to switch with the included remote control, but that would require at least two button pushes.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager

post #157 of 7106 Old 07-24-2008, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

thanks!

The 33% vertical stretch is accomplished by scaling. There should be difference between vertically zooming and "stretching".

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager

post #158 of 7106 Old 07-24-2008, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These codes would need to be programmed into a universal remote control. We are considering allowing the user to switch with the included remote control, but that would require at least two button pushes.

Two button pushes would still be OK. I could deal with video based commercials looking jerky as long as I could get a stable 1080p24 from 1080i film based HDTV.

This thing really interests me.
post #159 of 7106 Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you saying you can't set the output frame rate depending on what input is active? Please say no!!!
post #160 of 7106 Old 07-24-2008, 07:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
2 button pushes would be very acceptable...

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #161 of 7106 Old 07-24-2008, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Most consumer HDTVs (not industrial/commercial models) that have a 1366x768 resolution DO NOT EVEN accept this resolution. This is true of the 1366x768 plasma TVs from Panasonic and the 1365x768 plasmas from Pioneer.

Good point, and I was planning to go for an industrial model, however, now you've stuck a wrench in my plans to buy a 1366x768 version.
post #162 of 7106 Old 07-24-2008, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

2 button pushes would be very acceptable...

While I agree 2 button pushes is not a big deal you have to wonder what other settings that should be input specific aren't capable of being saved to memory. Are features like edge enhancement global ONLY? If not, why not be able to set frame rate per input???
post #163 of 7106 Old 07-24-2008, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post

While I agree 2 button pushes is not a big deal you have to wonder what other settings that should be input specific aren't capable of being saved to memory. Are features like edge enhancement global ONLY? If not, why not be able to set frame rate per input???

Only an 'advanced' user would want to change output framerates dependent on the input. 'Advanced' users can easily create a macro if they desire to do this on the included remote (if we decide to use a combination of buttons as I mentioned previously) or any universal remote control with the discrete IR codes (which most 'advanced' users have).

All picture controls (Brightness/Contrast/Saturation/Hue/Detail Enhancement/Edge Enhancement/Mosquito NR) as well as whether or not Game Mode is applied are saved on per input basis.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager

post #164 of 7106 Old 07-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Please don't let facts confuse the discussion, Josh.
post #165 of 7106 Old 07-24-2008, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only an 'advanced' user would want to change output framerates dependent on the input. 'Advanced' users can easily create a macro if they desire to do this on the included remote (if we decide to use a combination of buttons as I mentioned previously) or any universal remote control with the discrete IR codes (which most 'advanced' users have).

All picture controls (Brightness/Contrast/Saturation/Hue/Detail Enhancement/Edge Enhancement/Mosquito NR) as well as whether or not Game Mode is applied are saved on per input basis.

Thanks Josh...however, not sure how giving someone the ability to set scan rate per input is more demanding for a 'novice' user than any other of the per input settings. Isn't someone that buys a scaler, regardless of purchase price, an 'Advanced' user?
post #166 of 7106 Old 07-24-2008, 09:32 PM

can it adjust the percentage of overscan/underscan?
post #167 of 7106 Old 07-25-2008, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Thanks Josh...however, not sure how giving someone the ability to set scan rate per input is more demanding for a 'novice' user than any other of the per input settings. Isn't someone that buys a scaler, regardless of purchase price, an 'Advanced' user?

If you use an uncompatible scan rate or custom res most fixed panel display will not display it correctly.
Most of the fixed panel displays today only work with standard timings any way so custom timings are not realy needed for these display types, only multi scan displays/projectors work well with custom scan rate's and resolutions.....
post #168 of 7106 Old 07-25-2008, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

If you use an uncompatible scan rate or custom res most fixed panel display will not display it correctly.
Most of the fixed panel displays today only work with standard timings any way so custom timings are not realy needed for these display types, only multi scan displays/projectors work well with custom scan rate's and resolutions.....

I see what you are saying...but I'm considering this for an Epson 1080UB.
post #169 of 7106 Old 07-25-2008, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Is the Beta restricted to the USA or can people in the UK apply ?

D
post #170 of 7106 Old 07-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

If you use an incompatible scan rate or custom res most fixed panel display will not display it correctly.
Most of the fixed panel displays today only work with standard timings any way so custom timings are not relay needed for these display types, only multi scan displays/projectors work well with custom scan rate's and resolutions.....

And the problem (setting an incompatible scan rate) then is that if you loose the picture entirely you may not know how to get it back to a resolution/frame rate that will allow the display to show a picture again. This, because the Edge does NOT have a Front Panel Display like The VP 50 series. True, if a default 480/576i/p toggle button was/is provided, you can at least get a picture back again. Is there such a button on the Edge Remote btw? The Oppo's DVD players have such a button - well worth having IMO.

I think that the Edge is intended for the next/just becoming current display technology and that output resolutions of 1080i/p/50/60 and 1080p24 should be all that are required. IMO it's intended for the semi "advanced" user - typically NOT your PJ guy but your medium to large active display panel user.

Phil.
post #171 of 7106 Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 AM

Liked: 12
Josh,

Interesting - so you are saying that on the non-pro models they don't accept their native resolution as input? Sounds odd, but I believe you. I've seen more odd. As I alluded to earlier, this becomes a market research issue, and I'm sure you have good people who know what the sales numbers are for the pro models. If its high enough, then it makes sense to do it, otherwise, not so much. In general, the idea of having a fixed number of output options to reduce cost of course makes complete sense.

Can you confirm the 3 new computer settings?
post #172 of 7106 Old 07-25-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzerxxx View Post

D

It says Internationals may apply too, so I am hoping this includes the UK.

Filled in my questionnaire yesterday, holding my breath now and hoping I'll get selected. Sounds perfect for what I am looking for, and this sounds like an exciting project.

Hoping to hook it up to a JVC HD100 and a Samsung plasma, and then feed the audio out to an Audiolab 8000AP. Pretty sure it should give some fantastic results.

Michael
post #173 of 7106 Old 07-25-2008, 02:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzerxxx View Post

It's international, I'm in Australia and have been selected to be a public beta tester.

( B ) ( G ) ( R ) BlendZilla DownUnder ( R ) ( G ) ( B ) - Tubes of Fury
post #174 of 7106 Old 07-25-2008, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by escon View Post

IMO it's intended for the semi "advanced" user

Which side do I fall on as a quasi-semi advanced user?

Gary J

post #175 of 7106 Old 07-25-2008, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Which side do I fall on as a quasi-semi advanced user?

Hmm.. now let's see, quasi "resembling somebody or something in some ways, but not exactly the same". Hmm...dunno, but I think we'll let you into the club all the same .

Phil.
post #176 of 7106 Old 07-25-2008, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Note, the second HDMI out is for audio only.

Maybe I was a little vague. I intend to unplug the output (Audio and video) from my projector (which accepts 1080p) and plug it into my other tv (which accepts 1080i). But what I would not like to do it change the settings on my PS3 everytime I do that from 1080i to 1080p and vis versa. So my original question stands, "Can I feed the Edge a 1080p 60 signal and have it convert down (by some kind of memorey setting, pre-configured to 1080i 60"?
post #177 of 7106 Old 07-25-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:

The 33% vertical stretch is accomplished by scaling. There should be difference between vertically zooming and "stretching".

Thanks Josh,

Can you explain then what the "2.35:1 Screen Output Mode" is as identified in the EDGE vs VP50 comparison pdf. It currently is unchecked for the EDGE yet if I understand what you are saying then the EDGE will indeed allow me to scale for an anamorphic lens setup. So what is that particular item comparing?

Thanks
Jim
post #178 of 7106 Old 07-25-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It is internationally available, but there are more limited numbers available as well.
post #179 of 7106 Old 07-25-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

Would I be able to feed a 1080p 60fps source (say blu-ray) and have this output 1080i 60? I say this because this would be ideal for my two tv setup. One is 1080p 60, other is not.

What are the available memory settings per input?

Maybe I was a little vague. My intention is to unplug the output (audio and video) and run it to my other TV (1080i 60fps). What I am trying to accomplish to set PS3 to 1080p all the time and have the Edge down convert signal to 1080i for this TV (via a memory setting). Then when I plug back into other tv/projector and change to other memory setting it will be set to 1080p. I just dont want to change the settings on PS3 everytime I go from a 1080p set to 1080i set.
post #180 of 7106 Old 07-25-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by escon View Post

And the problem (setting an incompatible scan rate) then is that if you loose the picture entirely you may not know how to get it back to a resolution/frame rate that will allow the display to show a picture again. This, because the Edge does NOT have a Front Panel Display like The VP 50 series. True, if a default 480/576i/p toggle button was/is provided, you can at least get a picture back again. Is there such a button on the Edge Remote btw? The Oppo's DVD players have such a button - well worth having IMO.

I think that the Edge is intended for the next/just becoming current display technology and that output resolutions of 1080i/p/50/60 and 1080p24 should be all that are required. IMO it's intended for the semi "advanced" user - typically NOT your PJ guy but your medium to large active display panel user.

Any problems caused by a lost picture can be solved by a prompt that requires you to approve the new resolution within 10 seconds or the resolution reverts to default or what it was set to before.
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page