post #211 of 7106 Old 07-25-2008, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCH View Post

Can't decipher if this EDGE has picture adjustments or not, i.e. contrast, brightness, sharpness etc. as in the VP series? If so is it seperate per HDMI input?

Yes, there are picture controls (brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, Detail Enhancement, Edge Enhancement, Mosquito NR) that are saved on a per input basis.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 7106 Old 07-25-2008, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@dvdo View Post

Yes, there are picture controls (brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, Detail Enhancement, Edge Enhancement, Mosquito NR) that are saved on a per input basis.

Quote:

High performance, multi-standard video decoder, 10-bit high dynamic range, deep color processing and 3D noise reduction (DNR)

Is the 3D DNR user adjustable and/or saved per input?
post #213 of 7106 Old 07-26-2008, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

EDGE will change to the chosen output format and if the user does not confirm that they see a picture it will default to the previously selected format in 7 seconds.

Josh, another point I would love to have some clarification on. This one relates to "Display Profiles" which I note the EDGE does not appear to have, although mention of some sort of equivalent functionality has been mentioned in this thread.

Specifically, can I do what I am now doing with my VP50 as detailed below? The reason I am keen on the EDGE is that I would gain MNR, FD and EE without having to upgrade to a Pro.

Hi Josh,

Well, I set about doing this and I can report complete success. It will even switch/register an input change between 1080p50, 1080p60 and 1080p24 on the same input .

I found it much easier to actually have all my inputs active and then select each one in turn before setting/adjusting all the parameters I wanted/needed to and then allocating it to a profile. Trying to set it up without doing it this way can lead to not being able to select some FR options/settings, which is what I was (obviously) doing wrong before.

Having a front panel display proved invaluable in doing all of this as I would often loose the display when going from one input to the next. Being able to see and set up the resolution and frame rate with the front panel display is a godsend . Just no way you can do that with a Radiance XD (I had one for a while) which has no display at all.

It's really amazing really what can be customised with this thing (VP50). I now have 10 profiles set up, dealing with input resolutions between 480i, 576i/p, 720p, and 1080i/p50/60/24 running over 5 input sources and outputting 1080p/50/60/24, with each input locked to the incoming source Frame Rate

Link to original post here.

Thanks.

Phil.
post #214 of 7106 Old 07-26-2008, 01:11 AM

Josh, a question about the EDGE and its deinterlacing capabilities if I may, hopefully you have some useful information.

I own a large collection of anime on DVD and am not planning to upgrade it all to Bluray. So I need a good scaler that will properly deinterlace anime. Which isn't always very straightforward as anime isn't always using standard cadence.

Add to this that I purchase my discs in France (PAL standard), which have been transcoded from NTSC to PAL to result in a right mess for any deinterlacer to get through.

They look fine on a CRT screen, but I notice glitches when played back using a PC and WinDVD. And I don't like the results I see on a large Sony LCD screen.

I was advised to buy the latest Oppo DVD player, which uses an ABT chipset, but then I read it has some problems with PAL discs in general.

How do you expect the EDGE to handle this kind of material? Is it an option for me to look at?

Thanks!

Neko
post #215 of 7106 Old 07-26-2008, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Does the EDGE have the "image shift" feature ? (i.e. shifting a 2.35 image within a 16:9 frame. This had been available in your VPs since the HD+ time)

Thanks.
post #216 of 7106 Old 07-26-2008, 04:48 AM
BCH

Quote:

Thanks Josh, that is great when can the EDGE be purchased.
post #217 of 7106 Old 07-26-2008, 06:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have read the first page a couple times but, still can't figure out if this thing allows separate settings for each input?

Steve
post #218 of 7106 Old 07-26-2008, 06:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

See Josh's post above.

John
post #219 of 7106 Old 07-26-2008, 06:40 AM

Liked: 13
Wow. This processor is just what I need for my family room. I will have a 1080p LCD display (currently 768.) I need it's switching capability, as I'm out of inputs on my current tv, and one of the ones I'm looking at only has one HDMI input. I have 3 HDMI sources (DVR, HD-A3, BDP-S301) one component (Wii), one s-video (CLD-703 Laserdisc), and one composite (VCR). I'll also upgrade my AVR to an HDMI 1.3 unit with all the decoding capabilities, but with the Edge's optical out I can survive with the older audio codecs. (I am now.)

I have a CIH front projector setup in the basement with a high-end scaler (Crystalio II), so I know what a difference in PQ one of these devices makes, but didn't need all the adjustably upstairs.

Thanks DVDO. I couldn't see spending the money for another high-end scaler when I didn't need all the features. The Edge should also help with my overly-compressed Comcast cable signal, especially when I get the bigger display. (I'm going from 37" to 52 or 65".)
post #220 of 7106 Old 07-26-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects View Post

What about combo game/film devices like the PS3? If the Game mode is tied to an input, then I hope it is easy to turn on/off (remote button or code?). I watch BluRays and play games on my PS3.

I would be in the same boat, how hard is it to switch in and out of game mode?
post #221 of 7106 Old 07-26-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlemesle View Post

Josh, I understand here that the EDGE have two zoom control :

- horizontal zoom control and
- vertical zoom control to do vertical stretch.

Am I right ?

In such case, it means that the EDGE can be used with vertical zoom to 133% and horizontal zoom to 100% to stretch vertically the image in order to use with an anamorphic lens ?

But what if we use no anamorphic lens ? Can we zoom (or use underscan) 66% horizontally and vertically to reduce a 16/9 image in order to be totally visible in a 2.35:1 screen ?

On the VP50Pro, the underscan is limited to 75% which is not enough and zoom start at 100% with is not enough too...

What about the Edge ?

Richard.

Up...

Josh, do you have answers to my questions ?

Thanks

Richard.
post #222 of 7106 Old 07-26-2008, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

This sounds like it's going to be a must-have product, especially if you live in PAL territories, as most displays do a poor job deinterlacing PAL signals. I have a few questions though:

Firstly, is there any chance of getting 48Hz output added to the box? None of my current displays will take 1080p24, but I can send 48Hz to a CRT.

Secondly, is the processing done in 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 colour? MPEG video may be 4:2:0, but games are 4:4:4 and the difference is noticeable in my setup.

Thirdly, you say the game mode is less than a frame' for processing. Is that less than 16ms (many games are 60fps) or 32ms?

Thanks.
post #223 of 7106 Old 07-26-2008, 09:40 PM

The specs sound top notch,but....and i know i am going to get dog piled on for this but i feel something like this really needs a basic test pattern to make sure its adjusted properly..I know josh said it wont happen,something for DVDO to think about......not everyone is tech smart and the general public would greatly benefit form the ability to see what they are adjusting and if its correct.You know when the customer has the guess work taken out of the setup,DVDO is the winner in the end= word of mouth goes fare.This means more sales=more profit .last 0 competition.I deal with the general public everyday making things fool proof makes good business sence.Just my 2 cents.
post #224 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Bear

The problem is there is no one pattern. You need a number of them. Then you are not adjusting the EDGE but your display.

Use one of the available calibration disks to fine tune your display. You then use the EDGE to tweek each input to your liking.

Interestingly if we take 10 people on this thread who only want the one additional feature to make them happy and add them then the EDGE becomes a VPxx and no longer costs $799.
post #225 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm10541 View Post

The problem is there is no one pattern. You need a number of them. Then you are not adjusting the EDGE but your display.

Use one of the available calibration disks to fine tune your display. You then use the EDGE to tweek each input to your liking.

Interestingly if we take 10 people on this thread who only want the one additional feature to make them happy and add them then the EDGE becomes a VPxx and no longer costs $799.

I agree. I think people might be underestimating the amount of complexity and work that would need to go into built-in test patters. What patterns? Just a "simple" 1:1 pixel mapping/overscan test pattern would need to work at: at least 1080p60, 1080p24, 1080i60, 720p60, and if I understand the "auto resolution by device preferred EDID" feature, then also at arbitrary resolutions and frame rates. Not simple to get that exactly right. Then you get into any color based patterns - YCbCr 4:2:2, YCbCr 4:4:4, RGB 4:4:4, etc would be needed, because you don't know what the display might or might not accept depending on the EDID it sends. I have found that while VP built-in test patterns are useful to me, they are not essential as you need calibration disks anyway to see the whole video chain.
post #226 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm10541 View Post

I just want it to work Hopefully Josh has good news for me.

Neko
post #227 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by escon View Post

Josh, another point I would love to have some clarification on. This one relates to "Display Profiles" which I note the EDGE does not appear to have, although mention of some sort of equivalent functionality has been mentioned in this thread.

Specifically, can I do what I am now doing with my VP50 as detailed below? The reason I am keen on the EDGE is that I would gain MNR, FD and EE without having to upgrade to a Pro.

Hi Josh,

Well, I set about doing this and I can report complete success. It will even switch/register an input change between 1080p50, 1080p60 and 1080p24 on the same input .

I found it much easier to actually have all my inputs active and then select each one in turn before setting/adjusting all the parameters I wanted/needed to and then allocating it to a profile. Trying to set it up without doing it this way can lead to not being able to select some FR options/settings, which is what I was (obviously) doing wrong before.

Having a front panel display proved invaluable in doing all of this as I would often loose the display when going from one input to the next. Being able to see and set up the resolution and frame rate with the front panel display is a godsend . Just no way you can do that with a Radiance XD (I had one for a while) which has no display at all.

It's really amazing really what can be customised with this thing (VP50). I now have 10 profiles set up, dealing with input resolutions between 480i, 576i/p, 720p, and 1080i/p50/60/24 running over 5 input sources and outputting 1080p/50/60/24, with each input locked to the incoming source Frame Rate

Link to original post here.

Thanks.

EDGE does not have Display Profiles. If you wanted to change between three given output formats (1080p-24/50/60), you as the user would need to make this change. The easiest way to do this would be to use the discrete IR codes.

Keep in mind that EDGE is NOT a replacement for the VP50PRO, or any VP line products, and it is intended to target a different user.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
post #228 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee View Post

This sounds like it's going to be a must-have product, especially if you live in PAL territories, as most displays do a poor job deinterlacing PAL signals. I have a few questions though:

Firstly, is there any chance of getting 48Hz output added to the box? None of my current displays will take 1080p24, but I can send 48Hz to a CRT.

It is very unlikely that we will support 48Hz output on EDGE.

Quote:

Secondly, is the processing done in 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 colour? MPEG video may be 4:2:0, but games are 4:4:4 and the difference is noticeable in my setup.

Processing is done in YCbCr 4:2:2.

Quote:

Thirdly, you say the game mode is less than a frame' for processing. Is that less than 16ms (many games are 60fps) or 32ms?

Game Mode is less than 1 frame (less than 16ms).

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
post #229 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlemesle View Post

Up...

Josh, do you have answers to my questions ?

Thanks

Richard.

The 33% vertical stretch is supported on EDGE. Horizontal squeeze for fixed lens anamorphic configurations is not supported on EDGE (it is on the VP50/VP50PRO).

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
post #230 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp8 View Post

I would be in the same boat, how hard is it to switch in and out of game mode?

There are discrete codes to switch in and out of Game Mode. This can also be done via the GUI.

A PS3 can output 1080p-24 for BDs. There is nothing Game Mode can do to this signal so you would probably not need to or want to switch out of Game Mode for your PS3.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
post #231 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCH View Post

Thanks Josh, that is great when can the EDGE be purchased.

When Public Beta is complete.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
post #232 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetd View Post

I have read the first page a couple times but, still can't figure out if this thing allows separate settings for each input?

Yes, it does.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
post #233 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroNeko View Post

Josh, a question about the EDGE and its deinterlacing capabilities if I may, hopefully you have some useful information.

I own a large collection of anime on DVD and am not planning to upgrade it all to Bluray. So I need a good scaler that will properly deinterlace anime. Which isn't always very straightforward as anime isn't always using standard cadence.

Add to this that I purchase my discs in France (PAL standard), which have been transcoded from NTSC to PAL to result in a right mess for any deinterlacer to get through.

They look fine on a CRT screen, but I notice glitches when played back using a PC and WinDVD. And I don't like the results I see on a large Sony LCD screen.

I was advised to buy the latest Oppo DVD player, which uses an ABT chipset, but then I read it has some problems with PAL discs in general.

How do you expect the EDGE to handle this kind of material? Is it an option for me to look at?

Thanks!

Neko

Not sure what issues the ABT102 has with PAL content. EDGE is based on the ABT2010 which does have newer code than the ABT102 and should make it a perfect solution for you, regardless of whether or not the content is PAL or NTSC.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
post #234 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c722 View Post

Does the EDGE have the "image shift" feature ? (i.e. shifting a 2.35 image within a 16:9 frame. This had been available in your VPs since the HD+ time)

Thanks.

Image Shift is not a feature on EDGE.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
post #235 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Is the 3D DNR user adjustable and/or saved per input?

The 3D DNR in the video decoder is not user adjustable.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
post #236 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 08:05 AM

Josh,

Will the EDGE have any technology to deal with MPEG compression artifacts? Mosqito noise is somewhat noticeable on my DirecTV feed but the MPEG compression artifacts are THE most bothersome to me, and would be great to get rid of.
post #237 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Josh:

It looks like you're doing a good job of wrapping a video processor around the new scaler IC

I'm sorry if this is a reask from earlier -- I'm wondering if the Edge is capable of doing frame rate conversion, ie taking 1080i60 material that's been telecined and pass back the original 24p content? This would be very good for those of us that have a fair number of HD movies from the premium movie channels that haven't made it to high definition media yet.

Also, I love the audio only out.

Best,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
post #238 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCavTanker View Post

Josh,

Will the EDGE have any technology to deal with MPEG compression artifacts? Mosqito noise is somewhat noticeable on my DirecTV feed but the MPEG compression artifacts are THE most bothersome to me, and would be great to get rid of.

EDGE does have Mosquito Noise Reduction which does address MPEG compression artifacts.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
post #239 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Which one is better looking on paper DVDO's newly announced EDGE or Gefen TV Scaler Pro with Realta?
post #240 of 7106 Old 07-27-2008, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post

Josh:

It looks like you're doing a good job of wrapping a video processor around the new scaler IC

I'm sorry if this is a reask from earlier -- I'm wondering if the Edge is capable of doing frame rate conversion, ie taking 1080i60 material that's been telecined and pass back the original 24p content? This would be very good for those of us that have a fair number of HD movies from the premium movie channels that haven't made it to high definition media yet.

Also, I love the audio only out.

Best,

Not only can EDGE output 1080p-24 from 1080i content, it can do this with 480i, 480p and 720p content using our Precision Deinterlacing and Progressive Cadence Detection. No other video processor on the market (other than the VP50/VP50PRO ) can do this.

Josh Allen
DVDO Product Manager
Josh@DVDO.com
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page