Advertisement

post #2792 of 7104 Old 12-18-2008, 08:49 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you have an SDI dvd player, could you use some sort of SDI to HDMI adapter to connect the 480i SDI output of the dvd player to the EDGE? Is an SDI 480i signal compatible such that the EDGE can accept it on one of it's HDMI inputs?
post #2793 of 7104 Old 12-18-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abq-Pete View Post

Here's a review from Secrets...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/acces...processor.html

Regards, Peter

wow - I love Ofer, but I actually caught him in one blatant error (stating that PreP was functional and operating at 720p) and one item worthy of disagreement -

His bold statement that 1:1 framerate should be enabled by default. No, No, No - not unless you are sure your display can handle any input. Otherwise, you can easily end up with a blank screen, and no good way to get back to operations, short of the good old reset.

otoh, it was a much better review than I'd been expecting - I didn't read the above post as carefully as I should have, and thought I was going to be linked to Evan's upcoming review.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #2794 of 7104 Old 12-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

If you have an SDI dvd player, could you use some sort of SDI to HDMI adapter to connect the 480i SDI output of the dvd player to the EDGE? Is an SDI 480i signal compatible such that the EDGE can accept it on one of it's HDMI inputs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post

just a possible heads up; my VP50 responds to Edge remote commands.

I actually solved the issue in the first quote above with a VP30 and experienced the issue in the second quote above as a result.

I have to keep them physically far apart if i want to use both DVDO products. but keeping SDI is worth it: if i use component out of my Panasonic RP82 DVD player i get serious levels issues- contrast is just way too high and can only be turned down so far in the user controls. in my case it is only possible to get a good calibration using SDI.
post #2795 of 7104 Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post

His bold statement that 1:1 framerate should be enabled by default. No, No, No - not unless you are sure your display can handle any input. Otherwise, you can easily end up with a blank screen, and no good way to get back to operations, short of the good old reset.

Software version 1.1 introduces a "Video Safe" mode that can be enabled by pressing the "Guide" button on the remote in case of black/blank screen at an incompatible resolution/framerate.
post #2796 of 7104 Old 12-18-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENN0 View Post

Software version 1.1 introduces a "Video Safe" mode that can be enabled by pressing the "Guide" button on the remote in case of black/blank screen at an incompatible resolution/framerate.

and in many cases it actually works....but not always.

trust it if you want. imho, much safer to let the user enable the option - that way, only someone who knows 1:1 will work will turn it on.

I don't enable 1:1, (my crt would puke if I fed it 1080p24) so for me its "a moo point - you know, only a cow would care." (attrib J Tribiani)

Jon

post #2797 of 7104 Old 12-18-2008, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm not sure how on one hand he can complain about too many features as they'd overwhelm the average user, and then claim that enabling 1:1 by default would be a good thing.

For the average user, that would become a world of hurt.
post #2798 of 7104 Old 12-18-2008, 06:44 PM

So where do we find if our TV,s are able to handle 1 to 1 frame rate?I have even read in some forums were a manufacture states it will not ,but when the risk was taken by a tester ,it actually handled it.Mine is a Sony KDS-60A2000.wORTH THE gAMBLE?????
post #2799 of 7104 Old 12-18-2008, 06:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 601
What risk? If it can't accept a 1080P24 signal it won't show it.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #2800 of 7104 Old 12-18-2008, 11:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswm View Post

Thanks for this. After you pointed me to this, I did some searching, and the sparkle is ordinarily a sign of bad HDMI cables. I went out and purchased some high end replacements. To my bewilderment, I now have the "noise" or "sparkle" (whatever we want to call the white flickering dots) on the *component* in Wii input.

May I know the length of your HDMI cable? by right within 3 meter, HDMI shouldn't have such issue.....
post #2801 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 02:23 AM

He doesn't say it should be enabled by default... he says that there should be a Wizard step that attempts to set it as default, IF the display supports the outputs.

Bear in mind that this feature is a lot more essential to European users, of which he is one.
post #2802 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 06:46 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch437 View Post

I actually solved the issue in the first quote above with a VP30 and experienced the issue in the second quote above as a result.

I have to keep them physically far apart if i want to use both DVDO products. but keeping SDI is worth it: if i use component out of my Panasonic RP82 DVD player i get serious levels issues- contrast is just way too high and can only be turned down so far in the user controls. in my case it is only possible to get a good calibration using SDI.

Ok, I give up. So can I convert SDI to HDMI? Or are you saying you're using two video processors?
post #2803 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiren View Post

He doesn't say it should be enabled by default... he says that there should be a Wizard step that attempts to set it as default, IF the display supports the outputs.

K - you are right, he doe say it should be in the wizard setup (which I think is the weakest part of the Edge anyway...)

the part that I misinterpreted was this:

"One of my favorites is 1:1 frame rate which should be, in my opinion, enacted 100% of the time. "

I took that to mean enabled by default. Which can lead to problems. Luckily - it isn't.

Jon

post #2804 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

ProjectorCentral has a review up now as well. Covers the basics of the machine, lists a few limitations, etc. Another indication of it going a bit more toward the mainstream market.
post #2805 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 09:58 AM

Review at ProjectorReviews.Com as well:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/DVDO/index.php
post #2806 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, I give up. So can I convert SDI to HDMI?

i literally searched google for "hdmi sdi converter" and there's plenty of devices that can accomplish this for around $400.

start with http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hdlink/
post #2807 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 11:00 AM

What's the point though? Isn't the whole idea about SDI to get an as pure and untouched signal as possible directly from the mpeg decoder inside the player? Wouldn't converting that signal to HDMI with an external box defeat that purpose?
Might as well use the HDMI output from the player.
post #2808 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 11:36 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Right. $400 is quite a bit to spend. I am talking about an SD dvd player that has only progressive component output but was modded with SDI. I guess I'll keep the VP50 for now and maybe get a second VP50 for my plasma if I want another SDI dvd player. May not be neccesary and I could probably get away with component to an EDGE.
post #2809 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Right. $400 is quite a bit to spend. I am talking about an SD dvd player that has only progressive component output but was modded with SDI. I guess I'll keep the VP50 for now and maybe get a second VP50 for my plasma if I want another SDI dvd player. May not be neccesary and I could probably get away with component to an EDGE.

Is anyone here familiar with IRE color point settings? I've heard the Edges new firmware will allow it's colorbar settings to be used for calibration...how do you go about using them?
post #2810 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iove View Post

Yes...that puts the edge into "thumbdrive mode" but I get a USB not recognized...

Did you ever resolve this and if so, how? I'm having exactly the same problem with 3 different laptops all with USB 2.0 running a mixture of XP and Vista Pro.

Extremely frustrating. I'm quite certain I know what I'm doing since I've been an SE for 25 years.

I called DVDO and when I finally got to somebody, they wanted me to spell "USB". I knew I was in trouble right then. I asked for Ken but couldn't get to him.

Guy told me to send them an e-mail and they'd send me a file. I tried to explain that I couldn't even SEE the Edge but the guy just didn't seem to "get it". Maybe they are sending a driver for my PC. I guess we'll see. I sent the e-mail 2 hours ago. Nothing yet.

Extremely frustrating for something that should be SO simple.

HDTV in my home since 1999.
post #2811 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson-Flyer View Post

Did you ever resolve this and if so, how? I'm having exactly the same problem with 3 different laptops all with USB 2.0 running a mixture of XP and Vista Pro.

Extremely frustrating. I'm quite certain I know what I'm doing since I've been an SE for 25 years.

I called DVDO and when I finally got to somebody, they wanted me to spell "USB". I knew I was in trouble right then. I asked for Ken but couldn't get to him.

Guy told me to send them an e-mail and they'd send me a file. I tried to explain that I couldn't even SEE the Edge but the guy just didn't seem to "get it". Maybe they are sending a driver for my PC. I guess we'll see. I sent the e-mail 2 hours ago. Nothing yet.

Extremely frustrating for something that should be SO simple.

Sorry to hear of your difficulty. Im running XP Pro on a T61p and all I had to do was plug in the cable, push the button and the PC beeped and the window popped up containing the 1.0 firmware. Moved 1.0 from edge to desktop and then copied 1.1 from folder to Edge window and it was done.

If you are near Apex, stop in and use my laptop.
post #2812 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the offer. I guess I could unhook it and try another machine. I have 15-20 here but it ought to work. That's what ticks me off. I'm sure it's something on my laptops but that's beside the point. I use tens of USB devices on my laptops in a period of a week and they all have drivers and just WORK.

I'm in Wilson. Little too far away. I'll work it out. I just want to know intellectually why it's failing.

post #2813 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the offer. I guess I could unhook it and try another machine. I have 15-20 here but it ought to work. That's what ticks me off. I'm sure it's something on my laptops but that's beside the point. I use tens of USB devices on my laptops in a period of a week and they all have drivers and just WORK.

I'm in Wilson. Little too far away. I'll work it out. I just want to know intellectually why it's failing.

Yup... understand. USB is so simple... it should just work.... no fuss no muss.
There shouldnt be anything magic.
post #2814 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

OK. Now I'm really getting ticked off. I've tried five different machines all to the same end result. Something's wrong here. I can't be the only person that's seen this. This has happened on too many different configurations to be my equipment.

Do you guys have everything unlpugged from the Edge when doing the upgrade? Everything's still plugged in to mine. When it comes up in upgrade mode and the light goes solid, mine's still passing video but no audio. Do I HAVE to uplug all inputs and outputs? It's not part of the instruction set.

post #2815 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Didn't unhook/unplug anything here.

You might try...

- hooking the USB to your PC/MAC before you do the paperclip reset
- Do the paperclip reset then connect the USB at the PC/MAC

The edge would just pop up on the desk top and open like a USB flash drive with the software right there. Delete or copy to you host computer and then delete, then copy on the new software.

I only tried with a Windows VISTA Dell laptop, and it was a breezy.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #2816 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

OK. Now I'm really getting ticked off. I've tried five different machines all to the same end result. Something's wrong here. I can't be the only person that's seen this. This has happened on too many different configurations to be my equipment.

Do you guys have everything unlpugged from the Edge when doing the upgrade? Everything's still plugged in to mine. When it comes up in upgrade mode and the light goes solid, mine's still passing video but no audio. Do I HAVE to uplug all inputs and outputs? It's not part of the instruction set.

I didn't unplug anything. i've upgraded with Vista and XP machines. I just plug the USB cable in the PC, get a paperclip and put it in the little hole in the back of the EDGE(between the audio only HDMI output and the mini usb port), pushing the switch in and holding it in for around 8 seconds. Until I hear the windows sound notyfying that there is a new USB connection. Then the firmware file on the EDGE pops up for me to delete.

LED DLP

post #2817 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

OK. I can obviously raise Kain with the best of'em. What may not be quite as obvious so far is that I can admit when something's my error too. Such is the case here... sorta.

I've been trying to use a USB cable that I use with my WD MyBooks every day (it still works fine with them ). I finally sucked it up and tried a different cable and it worked just fine with every machine I had previously tried. Go figure.

My bust. My bad. I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it with my own two eyes. Sorry for stirring the pot that needed no stirring. My apologies to all concerned.

post #2818 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 05:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

I used the cable that came with the EDGE. That's always the safest bet.

LED DLP

post #2819 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I used the cable that came with the EDGE. That's always the safest bet.

I didn't receive one with mine, and I think many others reported the same thing.
post #2820 of 7104 Old 12-19-2008, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post

I didn't receive one with mine, and I think many others reported the same thing.

Me either.....
Reply Video Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page